James Weir

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Nothing player in my opinion. Has no chance here from what I've seen.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Nothing player in my opinion. Has no chance here from what I've seen.
That's harsh, you mean he won't even have a shot at the championship?

He doesn't have a stand out feature that makes you sit up and take notice, which is a big part of why I think he flies under the radar. He's unlikely to make the United team but he could easily be a better player than someone like Kieran Richardson or Obertan.

Last season he was more productive than I expected from looking at him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
That's harsh, you mean he won't even have a shot at the championship?

He doesn't have a stand out feature that makes you sit up and take notice, which is a big part of why I think he flies under the radar. He's unlikely to make the United team but he could easily be a better player than someone like Kieran Richardson or Obertan.

Last season he was more productive than I expected from looking at him.
Well I'd like to think United won't end up in the Championship in the next few years! I meant (and said) that I doubt he'd make it here, as in, with us.

I think he'll do well to land in the Chamiponship. It is famously 'hard to tell with young players' - but I'd see him as a League 1 player long term, which is still a decent living I guess.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Well I'd like to think United won't end up in the Championship in the next few years! I meant (and said) that I doubt he'd make it here, as in, with us.

I think he'll do well to land in the Chamiponship. It is famously 'hard to tell with young players' - but I'd see him as a League 1 player long term, which is still a decent living I guess.
I was referring to you saying he's a 'nothing player'. Is anyone who won't make it at United a 'nothing player'?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I was referring to you saying he's a 'nothing player'. Is anyone who won't make it at United a 'nothing player'?
In the context of discussing young players who can make it at the top, yes. A player likely to land in League One (in my opinion of course) - is a nothing player in the context of discussing promising kids. Whatever qualities he does have, are not to the level to be worth discussing at length as he's likely to be one of the majority who will soon fade into oblivion.

I don't mean to be harsh, I'm just trying to be straight. There is no absolute science to it of course, but surely there is a reason why a player who has been with the U21s for about a year has just had his player thread opened on him only today. I don't think he's done enough, or is good enough, to have garnered serious discussion as of yet.

That sounds very brutal I know, but it's just as you seemed to want me to elaborate on the 'nothing player' bit.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
In the context of discussing young players who can make it at the top, yes. A player likely to land in League One (in my opinion of course) - is a nothing player in the context of discussing promising kids. Whatever qualities he does have, are not to the level to be worth discussing at length as he's likely to be one of the majority who will soon fade into oblivion.

I don't mean to be harsh, I'm just trying to be straight. There is no absolute science to it of course, but surely there is a reason why a player who has been with the U21s for about a year has just had his player thread opened on him only today. I don't think he's done enough, or is good enough, to have garnered serious discussion as of yet.

That sounds very brutal I know, but it's just as you seemed to want me to elaborate on the 'nothing player' bit.
Fair enough. I'd put him in the 'a little something to him' category in that case, he's still with us after all and certainly no worse than Tyler Blackett at the same age.

I didn't think he looked special last season in particular, but I was impressed by how often he was involved in goals.

Last edited:

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
He's a good little player from what i've seen. He's always capable of doing something. Causing a bit of mischief but he's still progressing and not at a stage where he's starting most games.

Brightonian

He's underrated but not a prospect for the first team as it stands. That said, he reminds me a little of Lingard when he was in that Youth Cup winning side with Pogba, Morrison, Eikrem etc, and Lingard has made huge strides in the seasons since to the point where he has an outside chance of getting into the squad. He went from being a decent, enabling player for more obvious talents to becoming a talent in his own right so there's no guarantee Weir can't do the same.

That said, I don't see him ever getting a first-team opportunity with us. We've already moved on some very good players from that group, lads like Barmby, Rowley and Rudge.

khoazany

I don't know if people here has short memory but he was very good in his last year as an U18s player - push Rothwell out of the team (although mainly because Rothwell's form was affected by injury).He's very versatile as well - can play everywhere except CB and GK - and is by some extent a victim of his own over-versatility.Don't think he has any chance to make it with us but he's a better prospect than the likes of Barmby,Rowley and Rudge and if Cleverley could make it with us for a few years you just couldn't rule out Weir.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He's underrated but not a prospect for the first team as it stands. That said, he reminds me a little of Lingard when he was in that Youth Cup winning side with Pogba, Morrison, Eikrem etc, and Lingard has made huge strides in the seasons since to the point where he has an outside chance of getting into the squad. He went from being a decent, enabling player for more obvious talents to becoming a talent in his own right so there's no guarantee Weir can't do the same.

That said, I don't see him ever getting a first-team opportunity with us. We've already moved on some very good players from that group, lads like Barmby, Rowley and Rudge.
Barmby was a sad one for me. He was never a plodder in my view, I always thought when watching him for the academy he was one with star quality. The likes of Weir, Rudge and Rowley were players who just made up the numbers in my view, but Barmby was a game-changer. Wasn't he our leading scorer in the Youth Cup, scoring in every round?

It was when he stepped up to the U21s that he didn't really get a chance, but I reckon he has PL talent at least. Great touch and skill, and a very good finisher.

khoazany

Barmby was a sad one for me. He was never a plodder in my view, I always thought when watching him for the academy he was one with star quality. The likes of Weir, Rudge and Rowley were players who just made up the numbers in my view, but Barmby was a game-changer. Wasn't he our leading scorer in the Youth Cup, scoring in every round?

It was when he stepped up to the U21s that he didn't really get a chance, but I reckon he has PL talent at least. Great touch and skill, and a very good finisher.
Barmby was average in his second year with the U18s.Sadly he never realised his early promise, as did Gorre (he was good on lower age group, so good that Chelsea offered him big money to move at some point).

Weir was shortlisted for academy player of the year in the year that Pearson won it and called up for England U19s one year ahead of his own age group in the same season,hardly a made up the numbers player.Barmby could barely make the bench on his short time with the U21s despite our short of attacking options at that time.

Weir has the ability to change the game as proven in many of his appearances last season and this season.With that and his versatility he would be a good option for a Championship team in the future.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Barmby was average in his second year with the U18s.Sadly he never realised his early promise, as did Gorre (he was good on lower age group, so good that Chelsea offered him big money to move at some point).

Weir was shortlisted for academy player of the year in the year that Pearson won it and called up for England U19s one year ahead of his own age group in the same season,hardly a made up the numbers player.Barmby could barely make the bench on his short time with the U21s despite our short of attacking options at that time.

Weir has the ability to change the game as proven in many of his appearances last season and this season.With that and his versatility he would be a good option for a Championship team in the future.
Barmby was always more talented than Weir for my money. He was a sub for the 21s, although games there are all about timing. It is no secret that our squad has carried loads of dead weight in recent years, and many who were playing in the 21s were just failures who needed to be shipped off instead of playing ahead of newly promoted like Barmby.

Weir is a trier, for me. Yes, he 'makes things happen', but he's just a busy guy with half the actual talent of Barmby I'd say.

Brightonian

For me Barmby and Weir are two ends of a spectrum. Weir is incredibly consistent and reliable but more of an enabler than a game-changer. Barmby has the potential to change games, as you said, but he was always more eye-catching than substantial. He could produce those lovely runs and goals, but I used to get frustrated at how often his basics were sloppy, and how easily he could be kept out of the game if the team as a whole weren't dominating.

So while at first it seemed an odd decision to let someone who could produce such wonderful bits of skill go, I think on reflection is makes sense.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I don't rate Weir much but he does seem to have the end product, especially when we need it. He always seems to be coming off the bench and grabbing a goal or an assist. I think he could become a good industry player for a Championship side.

Speaking of Barmby, he played at LB for Leicester U21s a few days ago and supposedly did good.

FromTheBench

Don't think he has a chance of making it at United but he can be a championship or even a lower level PL player in the future if he keeps developing.

He's a odd one as in he'll do some totally rubbish things in terms of his basic skill set during the game which when he's not producing anything look really frustrating but he's capable of popping up with criticial assists and goals too or producing the key pass and being present in key areas at crucial times.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Don't think he has a chance of making it at United but he can be a championship or even a lower level PL player in the future if he keeps developing.

He's a odd one as in he'll do some totally rubbish things in terms of his basic skill set during the game which when he's not producing anything look really frustrating but he's capable of popping up with criticial assists and goals too or producing the key pass and being present in key areas at crucial times.
I doubt he'd make it even as a lower PL player personally. League One is my prediction.

Brightonian

You're desperately under rating him. He's practically guaranteed to make League One level despite your pessimism.
Nah man, he's better than League 2 level but not good enough for the Championship, he'll probably end up somewhere in between the two.

LR7

I like Weir. He's a proper team player. Probably won't make it here but can definitely have a good career at a decent level.

khoazany

I like Weir. He's a proper team player. Probably won't make it here but can definitely have a good career at a decent level.
He certainly has skills,not your average Joe but his touch,passing and even dribbling are too inconsistent to be considered a serious prospect.Crazily versatile though.CB and GK are the only two positions he can't play.

FromTheBench

He certainly has skills,not your average Joe but his touch,passing and even dribbling are too inconsistent to be considered a serious prospect.Crazily versatile though.CB and GK are the only two positions he can't play.
Read that as Average Joe as Joe Riley initially. :p

Who for me is like a better version of Weir.

khoazany

Read that as Average Joe as Joe Riley initially. :p

Who for me is like a better version of Weir.
Different type of players IMO.I would argue Weir's best position is actually number 10 or top of midfield 3 where he can hustle the defence and link up attack.A bit like Cleverley but quicker and more technical (with less "passing accuracy").But yeah Riley seems to be a better talent.

oskarutd

Well deserved, much improved and doing well. Stepped up a level and has more believe.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
I don't get this post
i dont rate him.....its a joke that we are giving our best talents away without giving them a chance and in the same time giving chance to average players that are at best Championship quality.

Sid234

Mata must be in the "red zone".

I don't see anything wrong with Van Gaal giving him a go, if you work hard and impress, you deserve a chance. That's how you motivate other younger players to step up their game as well. Shows them that there's more to getting a chance in the first team than just having talent, need to show the effort to go with it as well

m1y2

I am actually not surprised he trained with the first team for some time and had a good season but obviously its a waste of space and time to give him a chance as he will never be near manchester united quality, will be actually a big joke if he comes on the pitch while pereira sits on the bench. Maybe we want to make up for that fecked up pearson transfer for 100k so we want to sell weir for 300k, after todays bench appearance his price can raise to astronomic 400k.

wow, still cant believe this guy made the bench :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.