Jamie Carragher: "2006-09 is the strongest the Premier Leagues ever been”

FujiVice

He said this on the Open Goal podcast when asked if Liverpool could have won the league with a better manager when he was playing. He replied these years were the strongest the English league has ever been, because you had Chelsea, Liverpool and United with European challenging teams. He said "we (Liverpool) were better than some Liverpool teams who had won the league."

Agree? Disagree? Considering we won the league every year, I find it hard to argue with him.

Cloud7

I agree with that. How good we were goes without saying. That team is one of our greatest ever, and one of English football's greatest ever. Liverpool then were as good as Liverpool now, in my opinion, the only difference is that Liverpool now aren't facing up against a team as good as ours was back then. Chelsea were still pretty damn good in the post Jose era with the spine of that monstrous Chelsea team still there. Arsenal back then were still quality as well, even if not quite as good as the rest of us, but even then they were still regulars in the latter stages of the CL.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
“Football was best when I was playing”

Is anyone really surprised?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Absolutely agree with him. Just can’t quite remember who won the league in those years. Just remember it being incredible strong.

Kag

The top teams, yes. The Premier League is significantly stronger in depth now. Far fewer ‘easier’ games than what there once was. Whether it’s Fulham, Brighton or Palace, you’re up against full internationals and £30 million signings. It’s conveniently forgotten, at times.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
There's probably more parity in the league now but no real elite sides. City from 2017-19 were that but even at CONTINENTAL LEVEL they never looked that elite.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
He's not wrong though.
Mouball was the characteristic style of that era which has been well and truly found out by modern tactical developments. I’d expect most modern sides to beat their late ‘00s counterparts pretty comfortably to be honest.

I’m sure a lot of people will disagree because people pretty much always think things were better back in the day.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
The top teams, yes. The Premier League is significantly stronger in depth now. Far fewer ‘easier’ games than what there once was. Whether it’s Fulham, Brighton or Palace, you’re up against full internationals and £30 million signings. It’s conveniently forgotten, at times.
But if the top teams were better then and the average teams are worse, why have City and Liverpool been getting 97-100 points when those teams couldn’t? Something doesn’t add up.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The top 4 teams were especially. Arsenal, Chelsea, United are way better than they are now. Not sure about Liverpool but they had a brilliant midfield of Alonso, Gerrard and Mascharano with Torres upfront. Think they lost only twice one season and finished second.

The top 4 games back then were pure theatre

Shiva87

I don't think those Liverpool teams were as strong as Carragher thinks. It was United or Chelsea, just likes it's been Liverpool or City for the last 2-3 seasons.

Liverpool were a good cup team at that time if I remember right.

Perhaps, Ronaldo leaving the PL had a more widespread impact and stopped the concentration of top talent in the top 2-3 teams in England.

cyberman

But if the top teams were better then and the average teams are worse, why have City and Liverpool been getting 97-100 points when those teams couldn’t? Something doesn’t add up.
Because they went hard in every competition and went deep in Europe.
Liverpool did both 1 year but City never did. A lot of dead games towards the end of the season with no pressure applied.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
The top 4 teams were especially. Arsenal, Chelsea, United are way better than they are now. Not sure about Liverpool but they had a brilliant midfield of Alonso, Gerrard and Mascharano with Torres upfront. Think they lost only twice one season and finished second.

The top 4 games back then were pure theatre
I remember them generally being boring as feck. This season has been a horrible throwback to those days of stalemates between Liverpool and Chelsea.

The thing I find funny is that Carragher making this comment just makes me remember that he was a shite player who was a regular starter in one of the best teams of that era. He’s a great argument against his own point.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
He’s spot on, and he’s right about Liverpool, they had bags of quality and think they were a quality winger away from maybe winning it in 09.

Torres up top with Gerrard behind him, and alonso and Mascherano midfield is an incredible spine.

eamosri

Great point... doesn’t make sense surely if the league is better now then the top teams or winners of the league shouldn’t be winning the league with 100 points.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Fair comment. Just look at the showings in Europe

2006 Arsenal beaten finalists
2007 Liverpool beaten finalists
2008 United winners Chelsea beaten finalists
2009 United beaten finalists

The top 4 were all very very strong, particularly United & Chelsea.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Absolutely, during that time you could legitimately say the top 4 EPL teams were the 4 best teams in Europe. Barcelona were on the way down after they lost motivation following their 2006 victory, Madrid were poor in Europe for a few seasons before that and even after (really not until Ronaldo and Jose came into the team did they become a force once again). The Italian teams were also declining, Juve had been relegated, Inter took up their best players but still had a relatively weak defense, AC Milan's players were aging though they managed to win one more title (had they faced a full strength United, it might have been different). The Bundesliga as a whole was not at the level of the rest of the leagues, they suffered a bad decline in the early 00's and only started recovering in the latter half of the decade (though still no where near the EPL).

The EPL (post 92) never was before and has been since as strong as it was then. You can argue it's more competitve today with more teams having a realistic change of being in the top 4, rather than it being the same from 2005-2009, but that is only because the quality of teams at the top, in particular United, Arsenal and Chelsea, has declined since then. Even Liverpool decline from their days under Rafa until Klopp came in.

During those days, the only team able to knock out an EPL team in the UCL was a fellow EPL team, no other team in Europe stood a chance. From the 2006 to 2009 I can remember Liverpool beating Barca and demolishing Madrid, Arsenal easing past AC Milan and United beating Inter and Barca.

mancan92

I mean he is right. The British teams were there or abouts in Europe during that period and were clearly the better teams in Europe except for barca.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
Because they went hard in every competition and went deep in Europe.
Liverpool did both 1 year but City never did. A lot of dead games towards the end of the season with no pressure applied.
It’s hard to compare though because Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus and Bayern were very poor during that era and PSG and Atleti weren’t even around as a force back then. Liverpool have reached two finals in the past four seasons, Spurs were in the final (lost to Liverpool) and two of City’s campaigns were ended by English sides. Had the draw been different you could have ended up with consecutive all English finals.

Sweet Square

The United 08 is last PL team to win both the champions league and league title in a season. Plus if it wasn't for some god awful refere decisions United and Chelsea would have made back to back CL finals.

So yeah I think he's onto something.

Kag

Fair point. I’d revise this by saying that both Liverpool and City would have been excellent teams during that period but I guess they haven’t been part of a competitive ‘top four’. I also think that 06-09 periods boasts a bit of European dominance, only really beaten out by a team that was well on its way to becoming the best team of all time. Both Milan clubs popped up during that time, granted, but the top four was a real fixture at the back end of European competition. That period will always be held in high regard for that very reason.

Cloud7

I actually disagree with this. There's a lot more cannon fodder in the league these days, for the absolute top teams. Sure the smaller teams spend a lot more money, and there are more recognizable names, but if the smaller teams are actually better now then how do teams like City and Liverpool rack up nearly 100 points season upon season, which would have been unthinkable back then.

Giggs86

I don't think there's anything to argue about here as most will probably agree.
2006/07 - 3 English sides in the CL semis.
2007/08 - 3 English sides in the semis and an all English final.
2008/09 - 3 English sides in the semis.

During those years the PL was the strongest league in Europe and the strongest PL ever. United and Chelsea were the best teams in Europe with Arsenal and Liverpool not far behind. Barcelona was the only non-english side in Europe that could challenge the PL top 4 (I'm not counting Milan as they declined sharply after their 2007 CL win).

So when four of the five strongest teams in Europe come from the PL you can't really argue with that claim.

Kag

I remember them generally being boring as feck. This season has been a horrible throwback to those days of stalemates between Liverpool and Chelsea.

The thing I find funny is that Carragher making this comment just makes me remember that he was a shite player who was a regular starter in one of the best teams of that era. He’s a great argument against his own point.
Carragher wasn’t remotely ‘shite’.

acnumber9

I think people these days are confusing fitter for better. What are the tactics nowadays? Run at the guy that has the ball and foul him if he gets past you? Modern football is a little shit for me.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Back in those days, even having a champions League spot was harder with there only being 3 available slots from the league.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
Fair point. I’d revise this by saying that both Liverpool and City would have been excellent teams during that period but I guess they haven’t been part of a competitive ‘top four’.
Similarly, Chelsea and United were generally far ahead of the other two (with the exception of 08-09). Arsenal were not in the same class and Liverpool couldn’t do it consistently in the league to really challenge.

All four did well in the Champions League but post-Calcioppoli and pre-Pep there was a massive vacuum left by the top Italian and Spanish teams, while Bayern were in their wilderness years.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
Back in those days, even having a champions League spot was harder with there only being 3 available slots from the league.
There were four spots from 2001-02 onwards. The “big 4” became so dominant because they qualified for the Champions League every year and continued to have a much higher revenue than everyone else. It took City being bought by the Emiratis to break that up.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
Carragher was good, and Reina was good too tbf.
Never saw it to be honest. Always thought he was a massive donkey who was flattered by Rafa’s defensive tactics and Mascherano.

I’ll never forget him being taken to the cleaners by Jozy Altidore of all people at the 2010 World Cup.

GazTheLegend

He's absolutely spot on. Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester United were ridiculously good sides and only the current Manchester City side has a claim to being anywhere near that level. Ronaldo, Robben, peak Gerrard, Torres, John Terry, Vidic, Ferdinand, Drogba, Lampard, Scholes etc are names that would walk into any team on the planet -today-. I don't think you can say the same for many players in the top four teams going into those sides, honestly.

Kag

I actually disagree with this. There's a lot more cannon fodder in the league these days, for the absolute top teams. Sure the smaller teams spend a lot more money, and there are more recognizable names, but if the smaller teams are actually better now then how do teams like City and Liverpool rack up nearly 100 points season upon season, which would have been unthinkable back then.
When you look at our fixture list, how many games do you look at and think ‘ay, not a bit of bother today’? I’ll be honest, I struggle to pick many more out after Sheffield, Burnley, Newcastle and Brighton? And we’ve lost to all of them in recent times.

Whether it’s a (usually tricky) Southampton, Palace, Everton, or even Wolves and Villa, I struggle to approach games with the confidence I did back when we were playing against West Brom and Bolton sides managed Megson and Mowbray, spearheaded by Kevin Davies or Grant Holt. Allow me to be creative with the names. Granted, we’re a work in progress but I still think our old good sides would be put to the test against some of these teams.

The bottom end in the Premier League is significantly more ambitious than it was even ten years ago. Managers are bolder and signings are more expensive. Liverpool has just been an incredible team over the past few years and City are coached by one of the greatest coaches of all time.

I think you make a fair point but I think it’s certain that the teams placed between 15th to 5th have massively upped their game.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Carragher was good, and Reina was good too tbf.
Never
The guy got so overrated by the media after that performance vs Milan in the final.
He was never good enough for that team. DIdn't Houllier actually wanted to get rid of him in the early 00s because he was too slow for a full back and out of his depth as a cb?
He's kinda lucky he was a scouser cause he'd probably be out of the door.

Irwin99

People are rightly mentioning the attack of those teams but also forgetting just how good those defences were; Gallas, Rio, Vidic, Terry, Carvalleo, Evra, Cole, VDS, Cech

Even players who some might sneer at now were, back then, at the top of their game; Agger, Carragher, Wes Brown, Sagna, Clichy, Reina

Very powerful and well balanced teams. I'd take those defenders/goalkeepers mentioned in the first part of my post over just about anyone in the league nowadays and that's not an exaggeration. They're simply much better players.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Football got better overall. Today donkeys like Carragher couldn't play the game, and one dimensional player like Torres dominated the league back then. If anything early-mid 2000s was much better with actual maestro players like Henry, Bergkamp, etc

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Only one team won the league and one English team won the Champions League.

Bwuk

He’s right.

Our 07/08 side would walk the league, to an embarrassing extent.

Inter Yer Nan

I’ve always felt that. It was common for 2/4 CL semi-finalists to be English, one year was even 3/4, plus an all English final and Chelsea being robbed in 2000 stopped a second which would have meant three English winners within a few years, Arsenal got to a final etc;

Our team was so great it stopped other sides like Liverpool winning a league, even a side like Chelsea from winning more and that was a legitimately great team. It’s like if there’s a dominant boxer in one division or sort of makes it hard for a bunch of others to be considered greats.