Jarrad Branthwaite | Ornstein: Everton have no intention to sell despite takeover collapse

Maguire has been one of the best defenders in the league btw whenever he's got a run of games...I love how there's so many reluctant posters coming up with this reason as if that's a reason to avoid Branthwaite

And Maguire would be an absolutely exceptional centre back for a side like Everton. But Branthwaite has the same limitations to his game that make Maguire not a great choice for us.

Everton just had their butt cheeks squeeze tighter with him being dropped from the squad

Doesn't really mean anything. John Stones was ignored for years in favour of Jones, Smelling and Cahill.

Because clubs like them take multiple chances on these players and develop them. We don’t have opportunity to give them a full season of football before they are ready.

He was on loan at PSV, so he can probably go on a loan here and there until he is ready.

We can't be buying talent at such a premium, it's unsustainable on the long run, as every Premier League club is asking for fortune for their players.

Last edited:
Doesn't really mean anything. John Stones was ignored for years in favour of Jones, Smelling and Cahill.

There was a reason for that.

Stones has matured ALOT in recent years, in his Everton days and his earlier Man City days he had the insane ability to make stupid decisions in his own defensive area and explode with crazy mistakes, like trying to dribble someone closing him down and losing the ball or tries a pass that goes straight to the opposition defender.

He was on loan at PSV, so he can probably go on a loan here and there until he is ready.
Even this year would have been a year too soon to start at a club like United. You look at Saliba, Arsenal struck gold there, but they loaned him out for a season, brought him back, he didn't play for half a season, loaned him out for the second half of the season, loaned him out for another season (to the point he actually wanted to leave) and then finally started him.

It's not easy to bring in an 18 year old CB who is ready to start at senior level and keep them happy/develop them until they are actually mentally/physically ready to be a starter at a top top club.

We aren't the only club to not buy the cheap teenage talented CBs. None of the other clubs do and there's a reason for it. City don't, Liverpool don't, Real haven't since Varane, Barca promote internally (which is a different kettle of fish), Bayern don't etc.

There was a reason for that.

Stones has matured ALOT in recent years, in his Everton days and his earlier Man City days he had the insane ability to make stupid decisions in his own defensive area and explode with crazy mistakes, like trying to dribble someone closing him down and losing the ball or tries a pass that goes straight to the opposition defender.

Sure, but my point was that City still bought him because they saw the potential in him. I imagine the same will happen with Branthwaite one day.

Sure, but my point was that City still bought him because they saw the potential in him. I imagine the same will happen with Branthwaite one day.
I dont see the stones level play in him. You've surely seen him more but I've watched all his extended highlights now and if I couple it with the live games (not a huge amount, maybe 5-7) then I'm worried.

He literally lives on the ground with his tackles, when a defender slides it's not ideal. It's his plan A in many actions and that's a bit concern. He's also a but weak for me. Good player, could be very good, but the center back market is flooded with options that are either as good or better than him, at less money.

Is the journalist reporting reliable? Personally I would love to have Branthwaite, but £75 million is still too much.

I mean they can set it at that but if they do actually need to sell this month then we hold all the power. All their other valuable assets are at the Euros so it seems impossible for any of those to be sold by June 30th. We should just hold firm at 55ish and see if they buckle.

Thank you.

Understandable them asking for that much but reckon mid 60s is probably our limit.

For PSR rules, if they agree a 75 million pound transfer before 30th June but only receive 30 millon upfront, what figure counts towards PSR? The physical installment or the total amount of the transfer in advance?

Thank you.

Understandable them asking for that much but reckon mid 60s is probably our limit.

For PSR rules, if they agree a 75 million pound transfer before 30th June but only receive 30 millon upfront, what figure counts towards PSR? The physical installment or the total amount of the transfer in advance?

I think it will end up like the Richy deal. He was sold for 50+10m on the deadline. So we had to cut back a bit on our value for him. If Branthwaite is sold prior to June 30th or on the deadline then I imagine it will be similar, maybe a tad more but not a 75m valuation.

We basically have to sell one player but nobody really knows how much it is needed to be raised.
Thanks.

How do you rate him? Say compared to Stones when he was there for example.

I’ve not seen much of him at all but was surprised Southgate left him out of the Euros considering the other options and everything I’d been hearing about him

Thanks.

How do you rate him? Say compared to Stones when he was there for example.

I’ve not seen much of him at all but was surprised Southgate left him out of the Euros considering the other options and everything I’d been hearing about him

Better pure defender, worse at ball playing but on average I've been more impressed by Branthwaite.

The longer the month goes on the more the price will go down, not sure who else they've got to sell for big money.

Blessing for them that Southgate left him out.

Pellistri is the antidote of Dyche football if you ask me. Light, likes a good dribble, not reliable every game.

Could be describing a young Dwight McNeil there couldn't you?

Imagine kicking off the INEOS era with Branthwaite and Southgate..

come back Woodward, all is forgiven!

The longer the month goes on the more the price will go down, not sure who else they've got to sell for big money.

30th June is like a transfer deadline day. There are six PL clubs who need to sell. Probably a few who only just made the PSR rules but are not going to be spending heavily. Are there enough big spending clubs out there to buy PL players? Maybe an opportunity for Saudi clubs if the players want to go there.

What would you say his strengths and weakness are @SilentWitness i have only really watched him once and that was a bad game from him against Chelsea where Jackson bullied him.

I'll reserve judgement on his potential as I haven't seen him play much but we really need to be getting him for around 50 million max considering our financial position, Everton's position and his inexperience.

If we get anywhere close to 75 million we will have massively overpaid and not learnt anything from the previous regime.

Southgate doing himself a favour for when he takes over at Old Trafford next month... :nervous:

£75m the quoted asking price!

Well, that's the end of the that then. Concentrate on Todibo.

Is Branthwaite suited to playing right centre back? The need is for a first choice player to replace Varane.

We’re not going to pay £75m, and Everton know they won’t get £75m. If we sign him it’ll be a lot but down from that asking price for sure. If Everton really do hold firm at £75m we’ll walk away. I don’t think anybody will pay that for him though.

Considering everything, the deal will be done for 50m and some addons.

I like that. We have other targets, we'll move on quickly if it's not happening. Now just have to hope its not just words, but we'll back it up with actions if necessary.