Jarrad Branthwaite

jesperjaap

Any defender I can think of may cost more is better and there are several cost far less possiblyare.He is decent, ould become very good...but £70m thinking of several other options for me would be another poor deal from us

Bwuk

The rumoured prices are ridiculous.

Hes not a 70m defender yet. If they want to chuck in Onana we can pay that.

Lee565

If we don't move quickly, he will end up likely at city or arsenal

gajender

One of those I think will go on and do great things at a rival and we'll be wondering why we didn't sign him.
That would only happen if we don't get our signings right and are still floundering otherwise it would just become an afterthought .

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The two teams in the league that won't be looking at a CB.
Arsenal definitely not but City I can see making a move for a CB soonish. Akanji, Ake and Stones are all 28 or 29 and nearing 30 and they don't have any qualms usually about selling good players if there is a younger player on the market they can refresh them with.

caid

Arsenal definitely not but City I can see making a move for a CB soonish. Akanji, Ake and Stones are all 28 or 29 and nearing 30 and they don't have any qualms usually about selling good players if there is a younger player on the market they can refresh them with.
The rumoured fee is just very off putting. If he was french you'd value him at 30-40m. The whole being english, marketing value spiel would be more convincing if he was getting games for the national side. Not sure how much value Wan Bisakka being english gives us when hes a million miles from the team for instance.
Frankly under normal circumstances i'd say staying at everton a couple of years would make sense for him.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The rumoured fee is just very off putting. If he was french you'd value him at 30-40m. The whole being english, marketing value spiel would be more convincing if he was getting games for the national side. Not sure how much value Wan Bisakka being english gives us when hes a million miles from the team for instance.
Frankly under normal circumstances i'd say staying at everton a couple of years would make sense for him.
He's been one of the best defensive performers in the league this year, particularly impressive as it is his debut season, his value is not spiked up so much due to his nationality, albeit that helps. As it is, our value may have to drop due to our financial situation but I guarantee if he were at Palace, Brighton etc., they'd be wanting a 50m+ fee also.

Nori-

If we do end up buying him, is it because hes very good at what he does or is this part of a 'buy British players' policy the SJR wants to pursue at the club?

The handful of times I've seen him play, he hasn't stood out as being particularly great.

My fear is we miss out on great foreign talent, if nationality becomes the priority over ability.

aeh1991

I dare to say Piero Hincapie looks more talented, more versatile, more available and more affordable.

Teja

It seems like they'll be safe even if 10 pts are docked but let's see.. maybe they still get relegated and have to sell.

renatosanches85

If we do end up buying him, is it because hes very good at what he does or is this part of a 'buy British players' policy the SJR wants to pursue at the club?

The handful of times I've seen him play, he hasn't stood out as being particularly great.

My fear is we miss out on great foreign talent, if nationality becomes the priority over ability.
Who is the great foreign talent you speak of?

renatosanches85

The dog on the street can see this guy is the real deal. Sign him up! I remember years of people on this forum saying 30/40/50m was too much for Rice, some even suggested McTominay was better. Get him now before someone else does

Blood Mage

Another overpriced English player. And yes I still believe that Arsenal paid too much for Rice despite how good he is.

caid

He's been one of the best defensive performers in the league this year, particularly impressive as it is his debut season, his value is not spiked up so much due to his nationality, albeit that helps. As it is, our value may have to drop due to our financial situation but I guarantee if he were at Palace, Brighton etc., they'd be wanting a 50m+ fee also.
I dont think Brighton or Palace would want to sell and they'd charge a premium for him. At which point we'd move on to one of a half dozen other good options who seem to be available this summer. Your situation makes a transfer plausible and if we somehow sell Lindelof, Maguire and a dozen other players he'd be tempting, even at a premium fee. But that wont mix well with your accounting deadline.
Our situation in the summer is hard to call though really. Its hard to know which injured players we should and shouldn't rely on going forward, particularly from the outside.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
They have Dias and Gvardiol. As usual they are stacked at CB but are missing full backs. They have a young Spaniard, Rico Lewis and Walker who just looks bad this year and is turning 34 this month.

You also have to wonder about the lad finishing his 3rd season on a loan in the Championship. Recently turned 22, has played with every youth setup at England and has now accumulated 150 first team apperances.

Lee565

The two teams in the league that won't be looking at a CB.
City don't cling to their players like we do, they have form for moving on players whilst their stock is still high and replacing them with a long term upgrade

dubplate warrior

Not sure how people can watch this kid and not see the huge potential. He's a 21 year old centre back, he will improve a lot.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
City don't cling to their players like we do, they have form for moving on players whilst their stock is still high and replacing them with a long term upgrade
City's success is built on a stable back 4. They might not cling to players but they hold on to defenders that stay fit. They sold Otamendi at 32 (also not a very good Pep player) and Laporte who was a crock because they were given the gift of Arab money.

They don't have the luxury anymore of throwing endless money at defenders until it works like they used to.

C'est Moi Cantona

The dog on the street can see this guy is the real deal. Sign him up! I remember years of people on this forum saying 30/40/50m was too much for Rice, some even suggested McTominay was better. Get him now before someone else does
If he'd played for us this season then probably would have.

I'd hardly say Braithwaite looks like an obvious one for us right now, but maybe I haven't been watching hard enough.