Javier 'Chicarito' Hernandez: thank you and goodbye.

prath92

It's a catch 22. You wouldn't have him ahead of ibra rashford and martial and he wouldn't be happy with a back up role.

Towards the end of last summer he looked disinterested too. I think he would have just sulked had he been retained (and maybe we may not have bought martial in the process)

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
It's a catch 22. You wouldn't have him ahead of ibra rashford and martial and he wouldn't be happy with a back up role.

Towards the end of last summer he looked disinterested too. I think he would have just sulked had he been retained (and maybe we may not have bought martial in the process)
He's a better striker than Rashford and Martial by a decent distance.

Sam M

No chance. He is one of the best players in the Bundesliga with multiple player of the month wins, dont let their potential blind you. Of course they are better wingers, but as a striker he's a class above.
Nope, the two young lads are better players, by a distance too. If Hernandez played like he did yesterday for us you would have crucified him.
Time you learn we have plenty of good players here already, before you start pining for substandard players.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
He's a better striker than Rashford and Martial by a decent distance.
Even if that were true he wouldn't start over Zlatan and was unhappy as the permanent second choice striker. He also can't play wide like either of those so his game chances would be minimal.

Sammyjunn

Nope, the two young lads are better players, by a distance too. If Hernandez played like he did yesterday for us you would have crucified him.
Time you learn we have plenty of good players here already, before you start pining for substandard players.
Get real, just look at his record. He is a better striker than they are, and that's not even discrediting them. They are young lads with super potential but currently they are inferior no 9's.

Sammyjunn

Even if that were true he wouldn't start over Zlatan and was unhappy as the permanent second choice striker. He also can't play wide like either of those so his game chances would be minimal.
Was he 2nd striker though? He had Rooney, van Persie, Falcao, Welbeck all ahead of him in the pecking order in his last years. He was more of a 4th and 3rd striker, there's not much grace to earn in such a role.

diarm

Get real, just look at his record. He is a better striker than they are, and that's not even discrediting them. They are young lads with super potential but currently they are inferior no 9's.
You're not understanding what he's saying. Yes he's a better striker at the moment but he is a far inferior football player. His control, passing and footballing brain are very poor. He'll get goals but you're essentially playing with a handicap otherwise. He wouldn't start for Mourinho and rightly so imo.

Sam M

Nope, the 2 are better players, every day, easily. Kind of strange you can't see that.

Sammyjunn

You're not understanding what he's saying. Yes he's a better striker at the moment but he is a far inferior football player. His control, passing and footballing brain are very poor. He'll get goals but you're essentially playing with a handicap otherwise. He wouldn't start for Mourinho and rightly so imo.
All that bollocks again, give me a striker who scores goals. We've had years of Rooney now, the so called striker with above average vision, passing, link up play and hold up play, but he doesnt actually get you goals. How far has that brought us. We need a goalscorer, we dont have even one player that gets us 20+ goals. It's a bigger handicap if you have all these players with passing, dribbling, "football brain" (as if knowing when to make runs, where to position yourself, strikers instincs arent part of that) and yet struggle scoring and even creating.

Sam M

All that bollocks again, give me a striker who scores goals. We've had years of Rooney now, the so called striker with above average vision, passing, link up play and hold up play, but he doesnt actually get you goals. How far has that brought us. We need a goalscorer, we dont have even one player that gets us 20+ goals. It's a bigger handicap if you have all these players with passing, dribbling, "football brain" (as if knowing when to make runs, where to position yourself, strikers instincs arent part of that) and yet struggle scoring and even creating.
Hernandez plays tap in for a decent side, ask him to move outside the 6 yard box and he falls over. Rashford will score similar, while having more about him, and Martial is a wide forward.
I think you're the only one with this (strange) opinion. Our squad it too good and too talented for Hernandez now

Sammyjunn

Nope, the 2 are better players, every day, easily. Kind of strange you can't see that.
They are more complete yes, as the striker, they are inferior to Hernandez. If I had 10 players fielded in for me, and was left to choose a striker, I'd pick Hernandez above them, and thats not discrediting them in the slightest. They need to learn the no 9 role and are doing very well, Martial hasnt played there in a while and Rashford is still somewhat inconsistent there. Hernandez is quite a proven striker with a very good record at us, Real Madrid (goals to minute ratio) and is doing excellent in the Bundesliga. I dont really see the problem.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I agree with the Rashford/Martial comments. Martial is an excellent LW with huge potential and Rashford already scores goals + has that X-factor in making things happen which Hernandez simply doesn't have.

Sammyjunn

Hernandez plays tap in for a decent side, ask him to move outside the 6 yard box and he falls over. Rashford will score similar, while having more about him, and Martial is a wide forward.
I think you're the only one with this (strange) opinion. Our squad it too good and too talented for Hernandez now
Tap in? This shows that you dont watch him. And as if tap in is something everyone could do, get real. Our squad is too talented right? Have you seen us play, we are average, just because we pay a feckload for a lot of players doesnt mean we are too talented and too good. We are worse than we were under Fergie ffs and Hernandez played a big part back then.

Sam M

Tap in? This shows that you dont watch him. And as if tap in is something everyone could do, get real. Our squad is too talented right? Have you seen us play, we are average, just because we pay a feckload for a lot of players doesnt mean we are too talented and too good. We are worse than we were under Fergie ffs and Hernandez played a big part back then.
Tap in, like yesterday, had one of ours played like that you would have killed him. As a 3rd choice 9 he wouldn't be too awful, and that's what he was in Fergie's last season, 3rd/4th choice. All our attackers, with the exception of Lingard/Young are better.
And we're gonna show our class today, when we win, I hope to see you around, instead of vanishing after a win, and popping up when we lose!

diarm

What is this nonsense? When Rooney could pass/had vision/linked up play etc, he was also scoring goals. The current Rooney does none of these things well.

Hernandez is a fine goalscorer and a fantastic option to bring off the bench later in games a la Solskjaer. Unfortunately he wasn't satisfied with that role - no criticism, that's his prerogative and fair play to the lad for heading off and proving himself a starter for a smaller club.

Sammyjunn

Tap in, like yesterday, had one of ours played like that you would have killed him. As a 3rd choice 9 he wouldn't be too awful, and that's what he was in Fergie's last season, 3rd/4th choice. All our attackers, with the exception of Lingard/Young are better.
And we're gonna show our class today, when we win, I hope to see you around, instead of vanishing after a win, and popping up when we lose!
Yeah I would kill someone for scoring a goal, get real. He has a quality of making good runs, knowing where to be at the right time and finishing it off. He has shown this for a longer period of time, just because you think he played poor and Rashford could score that goal as well, doesnt mean Rashford could be producing the same for a longer period of time. Sure Rashford and Martial have far more potential and will grow to be twice the player at he is, but as of now he is a more finished product in the striker position.

Lets hope, I hope we play well and beat them, bar Leicester we have been horrible for quite some time.

Bugshot

Completely agree.
Exactly this - I was more sad to see Welbeck go but tbh I backed both exits then and still do now. One thing VG did very well was he didn't piss around with the deadwood.

Edit: I should clarify Chicarito/Welbeck weren't deadwood here. But I don't believe either has the necessary level to be a first choice striker here.
Agreed.

If Hernandez was still in the squad, we'd be calling for him to be shipped out and no doubt heavily criticising him week in/week out.
He did well for us but he was shocking near the end and rightfully sold. We've created feck all in the last 3 years so he'd be useless anyway.
But he is half the player they are.
Stop spouting nonsense. He wasn't a bad footballer by any stretch of imagination, just that his main qualities as a striker were very different from our other strikers at that time and even now. He has a decent touch, has a decent cross on him, his movement is extremely difficult to read for defenders coupled with his quickness and goal scoring ability. He's a big game player on top of that.

He would've given us a very different dimension in Jose's squad and I'm sure he would've had his role.

Sammyjunn

What is this nonsense? When Rooney could pass/had vision/linked up play etc, he was also scoring goals. The current Rooney does none of these things well.

Hernandez is a fine goalscorer and a fantastic option to bring off the bench later in games a la Solskjaer. Unfortunately he wasn't satisfied with that role - no criticism, that's his prerogative and fair play to the lad for heading off and proving himself a starter for a smaller club.
No, just look at LVG's first season where he got us like 14 goals in total. He didnt play striker for the whole season yes but still got so much credit for his link up play, passing, vision, etc when he did play as our 9. It's all nice and fun but where did that get us? We havent had a good goalscorer since van Persie and now Zlatan and it has really showed in our team set up and play. Give me a striker that can score goals, the others are nice to take with you. Or else Welbeck is one of the best strikers in the league..

diarm

No, just look at LVG's first season where he got us like 14 goals in total. He didnt play striker for the whole season yes but still got so much credit for his link up play, passing, vision, etc when he did play as our 9. It's all nice and fun but where did that get us? We havent had a good goalscorer since van Persie and now Zlatan and it has really showed in our team set up and play. Give me a striker that can score goals, the others are nice to take with you. Or else Welbeck is one of the best strikers in the league..
Rooney could lie down in the centre circle and make snow angels for 90 minutes and still get credit from some elements of the press and support base. You should know that by now and not try and use it to make reasoned arguments.

You're also making West Ham or Everton arguments and trying to fit them to Manchester United. We don't need to decide between whether we want a goalscorer or a footballer up top when we have the resources to have both.

Van Nistelrooy was one of the best goalscorers we've ever seen but he was moved on in the end because we weren't playing great/effective football with him in the side, despite all his goals.

Players like Zlatan, Van Persie, Aguero, Suarez, Henry etc give you both goals and ability. We need to be signing those players and not wasting our time on Welbecks or Hernandez's unless they're happy sat on the bench.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Stop spouting nonsense. He wasn't a bad footballer by any stretch of imagination, just that his main qualities as a striker were very different from our other strikers at that time and even now. He has a decent touch, has a decent cross on him, his movement is extremely difficult to read for defenders coupled with his quickness and goal scoring ability. He's a big game player on top of that.

He would've given us a very different dimension in Jose's squad and I'm sure he would've had his role.
Surely this is entirely subjective? Some people think he would still be a good player for us, some don't. It's far from 'nonsense' to suggest he wouldn't be particularly good, considering nobody knows and we probably never will.

Sammyjunn

Rooney could lie down in the centre circle and make snow angels for 90 minutes and still get credit from some elements of the press and support base. You should know that by now and not try and use it to make reasoned arguments.

You're also making West Ham or Everton arguments and trying to fit them to Manchester United. We don't need to decide between whether we want a goalscorer or a footballer up top when we have the resources to have both.

Van Nistelrooy was one of the best goalscorer we've ever seen but he was moved on in the end buleacuse we weren't playing great/effective football with him in the side, despite all his goals.

Players like Zlatan, Van Persie, Aguero, Suarez, Henry etc give you both goals and ability. We need to be signing those players and not wasting our time on Welbecks or Hernandez's unless they're happy sat on the bench.
That's not the discussion, or at least not the discussion I am into. I just dont believe that as a striker he should be lower in the pecking order than Rashford/Martial. Im not saying he should be our first striker or we should displace Zlatan and go and get him back. Im just arguing that on the no 9, he's a better striker than those irrespective of the fact that they are better dribblers, passers and more creative. But Hernandez is no Crouch either.

We have those resources but played with Falcao, Rooney, old van Persie in recent years, which is just poor.

prath92

Even if all that were true, he would never be happy with a backup role and he would never be the main man here

diarm

That's not the discussion, or at least not the discussion I am into. I just dont believe that as a striker he should be lower in the pecking order than Rashford/Martial. Im not saying he should be our first striker or we should displace Zlatan and go and get him back. Im just arguing that on the no 9, he's a better striker than those irrespective of the fact that they are better dribblers, passers and more creative. But Hernandez is no Crouch either.

We have those resources but played with Falcao, Rooney, old van Persie in recent years, which is just poor.
There's no evidence that he would be behind Rashford or Martial as striker. Neither of those are our first choice either.

Both start games because they are better all round footballers and have the ability to perform in other positions.

That pretty much sums up the entire argument.

Sammyjunn

There's no evidence that he would be behind Rashford or Martial as striker. Neither of those are our first choice either.

Both start games because they are better all round footballers and have the ability to perform in other positions.

I dont disagree with that, they are more complete footballers and have a wider range of skill to be able to play as a winger and CAM but as a striker, they havent shown Hernandez' level yet imo, the guy is a proven scorer and still even improving.

diarm

I dont disagree with that, they are more complete footballers and have a wider range of skill to be able to play as a winger and CAM but as a striker, they havent shown Hernandez' level yet imo, the guy is a proven scorer and still even improving.
He is and if he'd been happy as a squad/impact player at United he'd remain a valued and respected United favourite.

He simply wasn't happy in that role and wasn't good enough to demand a starting place. I'm happy to see him doing well in Germany but find it hard to get too upset about us losing a good substitute.

Sammyjunn

He is and if he'd been happy as a squad/impact player at United he'd remain a valued and respected United favourite.

He simply wasn't happy in that role and wasn't good enough to demand a starting place. I'm happy to see him doing well in Germany but find it hard to get too upset about us losing a good substitute.
Understandable, Im not sure he would be unhappy with a back up role, but he was 4th choice under van Gaal and then it's really understandable that you want to move. As a 2nd striker you still get quite some playing time but as 4th choice there was just no future for him here. I think he would be better than Van Persie and Falcao who were just picked on their past performances, mind.

prath92

Understandable, Im not sure he would be unhappy with a back up role, but he was 4th choice under van Gaal and then it's really understandable that you want to move. As a 2nd striker you still get quite some playing time but as 4th choice there was just no future for him here. I think he would be better than Van Persie and Falcao who were just picked on their past performances, mind.
At the start of the season everyone was picked on the basis of their past performances. It wasn't surprising that Rooney RvP and falcao in 2014 were rated higher than chicharito.

I haven't seen him a lot to comment on his Bayer play but he was simply a striker with no holdup play.

psychdelicblues

Surely this is a contradiction? Or am I missing something? Hernandez was a good player for United and played a part in United getting '19' but his limitations means he would do well to make back up in this current United squad.

Bugshot

At the start of the season everyone was picked on the basis of their past performances. It wasn't surprising that Rooney RvP and falcao in 2014 were rated higher than chicharito.

I haven't seen him a lot to comment on his Bayer play but he was simply a striker with no holdup play.
Seriously? He wasn't your traditional number 9.

prath92

He did have some amazing moments though. The goal to get us 3-3 at the bridge in 11-12, winner 3-2 vs Chelsea, his hattrick vs villa (one ended up an OG I think) that got us 3-2 win in 2012?

Utd7

He did have some amazing moments though. The goal to get us 3-3 at the bridge in 11-12, winner 3-2 vs Chelsea, his hattrick vs villa (one ended up an OG I think) that got us 3-2 win in 2012?
He also scored a backward header against Stoke which prior to then, I had never seen before. He just had a knack for finding the back of the net in the box. Will never agree with LvG decision to let him go that summmer.

prath92

He also scored a backward header against Stoke which prior to then, I had never seen before. He just had a knack for finding the back of the net in the box. Will never agree with LvG decision to let him go that summmer.
He wanted to be a starter. And he was more or less resigned to leaving from the moment he came back in the squad

diarm

Surely this is a contradiction? Or am I missing something?
Neither Rashford or Martial start games for United. Both are behind Ibra. They start games because they can play in other positions, something Hernandez couldn't do.