Javier 'Chicarito' Hernandez: thank you and goodbye.

NessunDorma

Some really fond memories of the guy, mainly from the 2010/11 season, when he made a decisive contribution to our 19th title. These goals inparticular stand out:

Vs Everton in April 2011:

A classic Hernandez finish, as he arrives at the back post, leaps like a salmon, and heads it into the net to put us 1-0 up with 10 minutes to go.

Vs Chelsea in May 2011:

The game that essentially sealed the title. Another classic Hernandez finish, as he runs onto a through ball, and slots it calmly into the bottom corner to put us 1-0 up within 35 seconds of the kick-off.

Can't quite believe it was 5 years ago now that he joined - where does the time go? - and another link to the last great Fergie side has sadly left us.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Good luck to him, did his part and contributed to our past success!

Agent Red

Really likeable player. Always seemed happy to be playing and served us well. Hope it works out for him at Leverkusen!

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
Absolute bargain, scored some important goals in his time here and will be remembered well by the fans. Another one of our title winning team bites the dust.

Raw

His first season was just brilliant. Such a likeable guy that deserves first team football.

I'll never forget his constant goal threat against Chelsea :drool:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I remember his goal in the WC before he joined us and then some of the goals in his debut season...what happened to that player? Just found out?

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Would've loved him at Liverpool at one point. A very likeable dwarf.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Good luck to him. Scored some really key goals. Top guy as well.

littlepeasoup

Such a canny buy. Looked like an absolute steal, but really failed to kick on after a whirlwind first season. That being said, I'm really sad he's moving on.

Cheers littlepea!

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I love him more than I've loved most players. I'll never forget his 90th minute winner in this mental game against Newcastle.

The pass from Carrick was vintage too.

kotha

His first season was amazing.. The hat trick against Newcastle and that header against stoke..

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I always enjoyed watching him and love the passion he had for the club and he was a great player for what he was but sadly never managed to reach the top level. SAF's departure was the end of his career with us, none of the new managers knew how to best utilise him.

Best wishes Javier Hernandez. Im sure every United fan you meet in the future will always shake your hand and give you a smile.

NessunDorma

That hat trick against was it at Blackpool when he came on with half an hour to go?
The one where Berbatov scored an injury time winner?

*Googles*

Sort of . . . Away to Blackpool in January 2011, 70 minutes gone, and 0-2 down. Hernandez had replaced a frankly terrible Rooney - who was playing on the left, if I remember rightly - in the 66th minute.

Berbatov pulled one back on 72 minutes, Hernandez equalised 2 minutes later, and Berbatov scored the winner in the 88th minute.

This was a season when every man and his dog had written us off as 'the worst United side in 20 years'. But we kept doing stuff like that, won our 19th title, and even reached a Champions League final along the way. All those late comebacks and wins against the odds just seemed so satisfying, precisely because we were making the critics eat their words.

Man, I f*cking miss those days.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Gone then?

Alright. I guess he didn't fancy being backup, or LVG didn't fancy his chances. Either way, I wish him luck - always liked him as a player. He had that nose, you know. Hopefully he can put it to good use for his new club.

I always cringed a bit at people "explaining" how he wasn't really any good, because his passing wasn't all that, or whatever the feck it was. Not that they were wrong, necessarily, but I cringed nonetheless. You appreciate a player for what he is. And for my money he was a player we could have used - even now. Whether he would've been comfortable with the sort of role we could have offered is a different question. As is - again - whether the manager actually rated him. The latter is on Aloysius, though. He ain't always right, feck knows.

Anyway, probably for the best, as they say. No need for the "good riddance" posts, though. He generally did well for us when called on - and in theory he could have been a productive player for us still. In theory, I says.

Reactions: Livvie

Scrumpet

There are no words
Sad the way it all turned out but these last few seasons won't be what comes to mind when we remember him in a few years.

Blackpool away is my favourite Hernandez game/goal.

Castia

fecking sad day seeing Hernandez, Adnan and De Gea leave. Gutted tbh we've sold too many players this summer.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
So many important goals, so many classy goals. People forget how important the ones at Stoke really were. We'd been rocked by the Rooney situation, morale was low, we were all worrying about where the goals would come from and then Hernandez did that. He then followed it up with a very classy goal against Wolves that left a defender on his backside, all of a sudden the belief was back. Stayed with us too. Every time we needed a goal we knew we could look to Hernandez. Not just in the title run in that year, but the following year when he got equalisers at Liverpool and Chelsea. The next year when he outscored Rooney, remember Villa (A) 2012/13? He was a damned good player for us. Moyes ruined him and he still got a late winner vs Stoke home for Moyes. Best of luck to the lad. Much rather have him to bring on for a goal than Fellaini..

kotha

He never scored a hattrick at United.
I meant the game he scored a goal near the end.. He claimed it as a hat trick but the prem didn't give him a deflection or something..