Jeremy Corbyn - Not Not Labour Party(?), not a Communist (BBC)

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
What does Mandelson offer anybody on the left at this point? He's actively tried to undermine the leader and his efforts have resulted in Corbyn being in the most stable position as leader he's ever been and Mandelson scrambling to tell the 'centrists' they should be backing Theresa May. He not only missed the Corbyn surge he did everything in his power to stop it.

Same goes for anyone wanting to bring Yvette Cooper in. Despite the best efforts of her minions and her tango dancing husband, she's still the same person who co-created those oh so beloved work capability assessments.
It's not about 'the left' it's about the best for the Labour Party, which is getting the most skilled people to work. Corbyn needs a much stronger shadow cabinet and a much stronger media team. If Corbyn could get Mandelson to rally behind him, he'd be a major asset. Same with Cooper, rather than the cabinet of jokers he already possesses.

Not winning elections offers absolutely nothing to the left

Successful democratic politics is always about unifying. Even if Corbyn won an election he'd get nothing done in government with the majority of the PLP against him.

Drifter

American
Personally i hope Corbyn fecks the PLP off. But unfortunately he is not as vindictive as i am.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The Labour party really needs to get over all this Corbynite vs Blairite crap if it ever wants to win an election. I'm sure there's just as broad a politcal spectrum within the Tories but they seem to be much better able to position themselves as one party, despite this. Making a big song and dance about splitting your political party into two opposing camps is a terrible way to try and get the whole country behind you.

Kaos

The Labour party really needs to get over all this Corbynite vs Blairite crap if it ever wants to win an election. I'm sure there's just as broad a politcal spectrum within the Tories but they seem to be much better able to keep their bickering in house. Making a big song and dance about splitting your political party into two opposing camps is a terrible way to try and get the whole country behind you.
Corbyn has always made it clear the door is open to them. If they put their petulances aside and agree to support their leader who's now quashed this nonsense of allegedly being unelectable, then there's no problem. Balls in their court.

Otherwise they can join Simon Danczuk in the career graveyard.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Corbyn has always made it clear the door is open to them. If they put their petulances aside and agree to support their leader who's now quashed this nonsense of allegedly being unelectable, then there's no problem. Balls in their court.

Calling people from the same party petulant and accusing them of talking nonsense is exactly the sort of silly bickering I'm on about. And it's all over social media. Makes everyone involved seem petty and divisive. In a way it reinforces the doubts before the election about whether Corbyn could be the unifying force needed to get Labour into power.

Kaos

Calling people from the same party petulant and accusing them of talking nonsense is exactly the sort of silly bickering I'm on about. And it's all over social media. Makes everyone involved seem petty and divisive. In a way it reinforces the doubts before the election about whether Corbyn could be the unifying force needed to get Labour into power.
When you have MPs saying that Corbyn should be replaced even if he wins the general election is exactly the sort of petulance im talking about. Labour should be celebrated for being the broad church it is, but all that counts for nothing when you have a stubborn faction of the party constantly undermining the leader. Corbyn has been nothing but diplomatic despite the treatment he's been getting from within his own party members.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
True. The centre-ground of the party largely treated Corbyn like crap when he got in and never particularly gave him a chance, and Corbyn's performance has largely proven them (and many of us) wrong, but I'd say he should be the bigger man on this one and try to unite everyone around him; so far, to his credit, he's been doing that, welcoming figures who resigned etc back into the shadow cabinet.

For as much as guys like Campbell, Mandelson etc may be snakes, they've had their uses in the past and I'd say it's much better for Corbyn to have them on his side than against him. They don't even necessarily need to be in incredibly prominent, senior roles as such, but if they're willing to play a part then they can be included and could be useful. Hell, if nothing else, Corbyn can rip the piss out of the Tories by claiming he's a unifying figure of strong and stable government, someone who's able to unite his party and put differences aside, while they are the coalition of chaos; welcoming in a corrosive influence such as the DUP to government, and shafting the country over to suit the whims of their party more than once.

Plus, Attlee was known as a consensus compromise-type politician, someone who could work with all wings of the party, and he's the best Labour PM (and perhaps the best PM) the country's ever had.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
True. The centre-ground of the party largely treated Corbyn like crap when he got in and never particularly gave him a chance, and Corbyn's performance has largely proven them (and many of us) wrong, but I'd say he should be the bigger man on this one and try to unite everyone around him; so far, to his credit, he's been doing that, welcoming figures who resigned etc back into the shadow cabinet.

For as much as guys like Campbell, Mandelson etc may be snakes, they've had their uses in the past and I'd say it's much better for Corbyn to have them on his side than against him. They don't even necessarily need to be in incredibly prominent, senior roles as such, but if they're willing to play a part then they can be included and could be useful. Hell, if nothing else, Corbyn can rip the piss out of the Tories by claiming he's a unifying figure of strong and stable government, someone who's able to unite his party and put differences aside, while they are the coalition of chaos; welcoming in a corrosive influence such as the DUP to government, and shafting the country over to suit the whims of their party more than once.

Plus, Attlee was known as a consensus compromise-type politician, someone who could work with all wings of the party, and he's the best Labour PM (and perhaps the best PM) the country's ever had.
Yeah, it does seem as though Corbyn himself seems willing to crack on without getting hung up on settling scores. Hopefully his acolytes will take the hint and follow his lead.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
The Labour party really needs to get over all this Corbynite vs Blairite crap if it ever wants to win an election. I'm sure there's just as broad a politcal spectrum within the Tories but they seem to be much better able to position themselves as one party, despite this. Making a big song and dance about splitting your political party into two opposing camps is a terrible way to try and get the whole country behind you.
Is that your 8 year old posting as you again?

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
When you have MPs saying that Corbyn should be replaced even if he wins the general election is exactly the sort of petulance im talking about. Labour should be celebrated for being the broad church it is, but all that counts for nothing when you have a stubborn faction of the party constantly undermining the leader. Corbyn has been nothing but diplomatic despite the treatment he's been getting from within his own party members.
Dobs hat to one perfect post

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Yeah, it does seem as though Corbyn himself seems willing to crack on without getting hung up on settling scores. Hopefully his acolytes will take the hint and follow his lead.
It's really got fantastic PR potential. Instead of the stubborn, arrogant, self-righteous May, who is indecisive and runs from conflict, there's the alternative of Corbyn; someone willing to forgive people who've turned against him in his party for the good of the country, promoting unity etc. Someone like that comes across as much, much better for leading EU negotiations than May, who's credibility is now non-existent.

Sweet Square

Yeah I'm not sure people know(I don't them blame as it can be rather boring)how disruptive the PLP have been, thats without going into how shit the members have been treated.

Nikhil

Agree with all of this. Get Alastair Campbell on board as the master of spin. Let him take on the hostile Murdoch press. Mandelson as well. Get all the centrist Blairites on board, David Miliband as well. Corbyn can then say that he's unified and brought together the different wings of Labour, whilst the Tories are marred by infighting with another leadership contest coming up most likely.

Labour needs to work together before the next election which most likely will be next year.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM

No, he's a Brownite.

Smores

FT says Miliband, Cooper and Umunna are joining the shadow cabinet. :)
Wise i think, if only because of the lack of talent and media presence of those amongst the existing SC.
I'm still nervous that some will try to oust him at any moment, if they do it'll be the end of Labour for a while.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Jeremy Corbyn just told the House of Commons that Labour was prepared to offer "strong and stable leadership in the national interest

Corbyn teasing May - 'we all look forward to welcoming the Queen's speech as soon as the coalition of chaos is ready'

:lol: Jezza's having a blast.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
Personally i hope Corbyn fecks the PLP off. But unfortunately he is not as vindictive as i am.
That'd be self destructive, he can't whip the PLP to vote on party without consent.

Let's hope they tow the line . And don't mess things up
Tow what line? It's not dictatorship where Corbyn decides policy and everyone else follows mindlessly they'd be creating policy alongside him. He's going to have to comprimise and consult.

Drifter

American
That'd be self destructive, he can't whip the PLP to vote on party without consent.

Tow what line? It's not dictatorship where Corbyn decides policy and everyone else follows mindlessly they'd be creating policy alongside him. He's going to have to comprimise and consult.
What policies will they bring to the table

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
What policies will they bring to the table
I'd imagine more centrist and european centric ones. The real strength they'd bring to the table though would be campaigning and debating on issues in the news media. Before the election campaign Labour were doing a shocking job of putting it's message across.

Currently the only quality public speaker and debator in the shadow cabinet beside Corbyn is Emily Thornberry. He needs a much stronger team if he's going to influence public opinion.

Drifter

American
I'd imagine more centrist and european centric ones. The real strength they'd bring to the table though would be campaigning and debating on issues in the news media. Before the election campaign Labour were doing a shocking job of putting it's message across.

Currently the only quality public speaker and debator in the shadow cabinet beside Corbyn is Emily Thornberry. He needs a much stronger team if he's going to influence public opinion.
That is what got Labour into trouble in the first place .Centrist needs to realise that it's ideas are dead and no amount of spin doctors and think tanks will change that. As for news media their influence in politics as proven to be ineffective and are on the wane. Politics as changed and the sooner the PLP sees that the better if not form another party.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
That is what got Labour into trouble in the first place .Centrist needs to realise that it's ideas are dead and no amount of spin doctors and think tanks will change that. As for news media their influence in politics as proven to be ineffective and are on the wane. Politics as changed and the sooner the PLP sees that the better if not form another party.
Wot

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
Except it's the only strategy that has seen Labour seize power. Simply put many don't trust Labour to implement huge spending plans without: A) putting the country in huge debts B) increasing taxes.

My dad voted Labour numerous times and voted remain but after the recession he hasn't trusted them with the economy and deficit to vote for them since. He's been close to backing them because of the NHS and Schools but he simply thinks they'll overspend and mismanage everything. It's a valid concern.

And there's things that show they don't give a feck about A) Increasing national debt B) Increasing national debt. IE pay 50k for as many students as possible to get worthless degrees in fashion and media studies with a couple of Es at A Level as possible. As a liberal and left winger I can't accept that utterly stupid stance, so why should I expect the electerate to do so? I'm happy to subsidise worthwhile degrees like Medicine, Engineering, Accountancy, Law but feck off paying for the toilet studies.

Corbyn needs to convince and promise people that he won't piss public money away left right and centre while having a sensible talented group of PLPs working for him. The current cabinet of drop outs will never achieve that.

Everyone loves a winner.

Or a plucky loser.
Yeah, it's amazing isn't it. He lost the election convincingly but he's some sort of national hero in the eyes of a few. Anyone can promise the world if they know they won't have to actually deliver.

Kaos

Yeah, it's amazing isn't it. He lost the election convincingly but he's some sort of national hero in the eyes of a few. Anyone can promise the world if they know they won't have to actually deliver.
Convincingly? He was dead in the water a few weeks a go and turned it round, robbing the Tories of their majority, picking up dozens of seats, galvanised the youth vote to unprecedented levels and helped Labour achieve their highest vote share in decades. As for not having to deliver - he was a few marginal seats away from potentially becoming PM, and could feasibly become future PM assuming the Tories carry on their path to self-destruction.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Everyone loves a winner.

Or a plucky loser.
Most of those cnuts were busy stabbing him in the back not long ago. Funny how winning works. Haven't seen Sadiq kiss his shoes yet but its only a matter of time too.