Jermain Defoe

• Yay

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
Duncan Castles has suggested Jermain Defoe could be a surprise signing for Manchester United this summer.

He has a clause in his contract that allows him to leave on a free if Sunderland got relegated. So he can be signed up for free this summer and his current wages are no higher than £88k a week.

I think he could be the ideal player for the role as back-up striker to Rashford:
  • He is still a very good goal scorer, coming off a season where he scored 15 goals in 34 games
  • He is is remarkably fit and fast for 34 year old player
  • He has a ton of PL experience to share with our younger players
Mourinho even said sometime ago that Defoe could have a similar role at a PL top club like Zlatan had with us.

I think it should definatley be considered, especially if we can't land our prefered striker as he surely can do a job for us and would cost nearly nothing, as he can take the pressure off rashford's shoulders for a season or 2.

What says the caf, defoe on a free, yay or nay ?

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/612046/Jermain-Defor-Manchester-United-transfer-news
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/why-defoe-could-be-the-man-for-mourinho-ndmn6xzdb
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...rinho-backs-jermain-defoe-zlatan-ibrahimovic/

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I'd take him, but only if we couldn't sign literally anybody else.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
No.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarrou

his assistant would be delighted as can finally build that global super brand

AndyJ1985

Rashford and Defoe taking Manchester United back to CL glory...er, yeah okay then.

RedCurry

If we get another first team striker, I am all for getting Defoe on a free transfer as a backup striker. He knows where the back of the net is and would be useful when we are trying to rotate.

Robbie Boy

Has become hilariously overrated in his later years. Like, to ridiculous levels.

tomaldinho1

Would defo take him - Mou talked him up pre Sunderland and I think he'd have relatively low wage demands (gets the chance to have a bit part swansong year).

He would have to join and be ok with being 4th choice but is a great finisher and that's basically where we our weakest. If anything he can just do finishing drills with Rashy

Zoo

Castles didn't suggest this as a possibility, it was just an opinion piece from Jonathan Northcroft praising him and saying that we should be interested.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
So he'd be our third choice striker in this scenario? Don't see any issue with that. He'd barely play anyway and he has scored 15 PL goals for a shite team this season.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I don't think it's the worst idea in the world.

It is a pretty awful one though.

FujiVice

No, but fecking hell, he'd have probably won us a few games this year with his conversion rate. That's says more about the chances we miss, though.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
I don't think it's the worst idea in the world.

It is a pretty awful one though.
He scored 15 goals this season, scored 18 goals last season, been a consistent goal scorer all his career.

Obviously not as a first choice player but say we sign Griezmann to be our pivotal attacking player with Rashford our golden boy for the future and than add Defoe as a back-up with a ton of PL experience and proven PL goal scorer for a season or 2.

I don't know what is so awfull about that.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
We can't score goals but we're saying no to an experienced striker who bangs them in for fun. Caf logic.

Blind

He could add 15 goals in all competitions easily and there won't be a lack of motivation in a World Cup year.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Charlie Adam is available on a free at the end of the season too. He could be a useful option and his corners are worth 10mil alone.

Jaybomb

Absolutely not. Signing Defoe would make us look incredibly desperate and I hope nobody is suggesting this because a 35 year old Ibrahimovic did well for us.

Defoe is nowhere near Zlatan. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded.

EvilIrwin

Would defoe take him - Mou talked him up pre Sunderland and I think he'd have relatively low wage demands (gets the chance to have a bit part swansong year).

He would have to join and be ok with being 4th choice but is a great finisher and that's basically where we our weakest. If anything he can just do finishing drills with Rashy
See what you did there.
If Zlatans out for majority of next season or leaves, then I don't see why not as long as he's happy to play the backup role and just stays for a season. With his peasant like wages which would barely cover the barber fees for Rooney, for me he would be a signing akin to Michael Owen.
The whole squad could learn a couple of things off him such as how to kick the ball past the keeper

gza the genius

As backup I don't really see why not. We could do worse than having someone with his experience to come off the bench. We still need to replace Ibra though, but as a free, why not?

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
He scored 15 goals this season, scored 18 goals last season, been a consistent goal scorer all his career.

Obviously not as a first choice player but say we sign Griezmann to be our pivotal attacking player with Rashford our golden boy for the future and than add Defoe as a back-up with a ton of PL experience and proven PL goal scorer for a season or 2.

Think he's far too limited. He'd score some goals but destroy our attacking play.

Bojan11

No thanks. Would be like signing Owen.

He's been awful for Sunderland since January. His all round play is horrendous.

Duncan Castle knows shit.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

If Rashford is our starting CF with Defoe as his backup then yes, that is pretty awful. If we have a first choice CF ahead of both of them then I don't see any issue with it at all.

Eire Red United

Sounds perfect, but only if Zlatan is off.

Cloud7

Sunderland being relegated could be a blessing in disguise if it allows us to get Defoe.

But seriously absolutely not.

Paxi

This right here. No brainer if he's coming on a free to be back up striker.

Paxi

Football is usually not as simple as more goal scorers = more goals.

I'm not saying it is but having a striker at our club who scored goals throughout his career wherever he played can't be bad.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
Absolutely not. Signing Defoe would make us look incredibly desperate and I hope nobody is suggesting this because a 35 year old Ibrahimovic did well for us.

Defoe is nowhere near Zlatan. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded.
Obviously Zlatan is a far superior player

But Zlatan was playing as first choice and Rashford was playing as back-up. With Defoe it would be the other way around.

Having Rashford as first choice striker would be massive for his development but you need a solid back-up for him and I think we could do alot worse than Defoe.

poleglass red

would he at his age be prepared to come and basically sit on the bench. he'll go to West ham or one of the smaller london clubs, maybe even Birmingham in the Championship if old rubber face stays

Status
Not open for further replies.