Jesse Lingard 'to leave on a free'

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Dammit, I thought this was a new thread and got excited at the title. And then I come in here and it's filled with depressing shit.

Abizzz

I really hope he leaves and think it would actually do him a world of good too.

He might still get some joy out of the sport if he plays for a team more suited to his level. He's never been a good PL player, let alone a great one. Then again very very few players ever are and it's quite possible to live a nice life outside of the top 6. Even on a personal level I think he'd benefit from being in the spotlight less (even if he'd disagree with that).

Please go.

romufc

Fair enough. Looks like all managers liked him. It is easy to see why Ten Hag might want to retain him though. Especially when you consider how poor our forwards are at pressing.
I think the reason Lingard was liked by all these managers is his energy and running on and off the ball.

We don't really have forwards that track and press as well as Lingard. However; I think his time at United is up and we will look to use other players,.

m1tch

What utter rubbish gets posted here about Lingard and last summer's public announcement that we wanted to keep him.

Few basics:
1. You get offered less money for players you say you want to sell.
2. He was a 28 year old with a history of going long periods in dreadful form. Clubs were clearly not interested in the risk of an expensive deal that took him to 32/33 years old.
3. If he wanted to leave then he could have handed in a transfer request. This would have lowered what United were happy to accept as they wouldn't have to pay the balance on his contract.

We'll have to see where he ends up, and what he achieves when he gets there. I wouldn't be surprised if West Ham decide against signing him, a permanent transfer is a different prospect to a six month loan, just as Newcastle's January interest confirmed.

Revaulx

Fair enough. Looks like all managers liked him. It is easy to see why Ten Hag might want to retain him though. Especially when you consider how poor our forwards are at pressing.
Other teams have lots of players who regard it as their job to work hard off the ball. Not United though, and the ones who have (Lingard, James) have been held in contempt by the fans. Headless chickens etc.

Djemba-Djemba

But you need more than just running around to be an attacker for Utd.

Yes, too many of our players are fecking lazy and need to go, but at the same time we also need quality and just because Lingard presses more than the others doesn't mean he's anywhere close to good enough.

He had a purple patch of a couple of months about fecking 5 years ago. That's it, other than those 9 or 10 weeks he's not looked good enough in his entire Utd career.

Desperate for him to finally leave.

Revaulx

no mate. He vented to an ex pro who should have known better than to leak it. That is why he was trusted
An ex-pro who, sadly, works for a tabloid “news” organisation whose lifeblood is promoting controversy.

Lingard isn’t a kid. He ought to have known better. That’s not to say it’s ok for people on here to attribute all sorts of evil to him.

wolvored

Lingard if he was any good would have been given a new contract now, but eventually the penny dropped with the board. Didnt he go over 12 months playing regularly without a goal or assist?

Gandalf

Lingard if he was any good would have been given a new contract now, but eventually the penny dropped with the board. Didnt he go over 12 months playing regularly without a goal or assist?
Not sure the penny did drop. We offered him a contract in September but thankfully he did not sign it. He has been working towards a free transfer for over a year now and he has not even been subtle about it.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
One of the worst player who spent so many years at this club. Cant wait till he is finally gone

Kostov

This might happen, Lingard's game of pass and move and running in between the lines is exactly what ETH looks for (maybe not Lingard himself, but that style of play).

Can see disappointment from day 1 for some fans.... oh dear!
There’s much more to quality football that we hope ETH will implement than pass and move. Something Lingard never had and that’s why he should leave, if ETH or ragnick haven’t seen that by now, we are going nowhere any time soon.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Can’t believe he’ll be 30 years old this year. Has the maturity of a teenager.

Spark

We talk about Liverpool’s signings, but Klopp’s ruthless clear out in the first half of his reign is just as important. E.g. Jordan Ibe getting fecked off, or even Sterling and Coutinho, along with others.

We used to be good at it, with Richardson and players like that. Why the feck would we keep Lingard or even Rashford.

Get em out, obviously!

Maticmaker

There’s much more to quality football that we hope ETH will implement than pass and move. Something Lingard never had and that’s why he should leave, if ETH or ragnick haven’t seen that by now, we are going nowhere any time soon.
Yes, of course there is, but at his most effective with 'pass and move' Lingard was, at times, our best player 'without the ball'; his diagonal runs across/through defensive lines, without the ball, offered scores of opportunities to Rooney at one time, then Rashford to exploit. Lingard has always been something of a journeyman player, but he had 'a' value.

ETH maybe tempted as others, LvG, Jose and at one time Ole, were to retain that 'value' even in reserve.
Personally I think he had his chance with West Ham, they found a niche for him, we never did. Jesse has had more than one opportunity, which at his best got him an England call up. However too may United fans, now seem to hate the man for him to stay at OT. He needs to 'shake the dust' and move on.

Kostov

Yes, of course there is, but at his most effective with 'pass and move' Lingard was, at times, our best player 'without the ball'; his diagonal runs across/through defensive lines, without the ball, offered scores of opportunities to Rooney at one time, then Rashford to exploit. Lingard has always been something of a journeyman player, but he had 'a' value.

ETH maybe tempted as others, LvG, Jose and at one time Ole, were to retain that 'value' even in reserve.
Personally I think he had his chance with West Ham, they found a niche for him, we never did. Jesse has had more than one opportunity, which at his best got him an England call up. However too may United fans, now seem to hate the man for him to stay at OT. He needs to 'shake the dust' and move on.
Our "best player without the ball" was and still is one of the biggest bullshit lines on this forum, used to mask a very limited footballer who has been stealing a living from this club. Yes he has his uses absolutely, at a team set up like West Ham, who play on the counter and a limited CAM like Lingard can contribute with his running, but also mask his limited quality on the ball.

Take a look at City last night, they employ players like Bernardo, KDB and Foden, who are in a different stratosphere to Lingard, not because they are great without the ball, but because they are absolute magicians with it. Now if we have an ambition to get to that level, we can not accommodate a midfielder like Lingard, who can't hold on the ball in a high intensity game and passes backwards or side ways under the slightest bit of pressure. That has been evident since forever, but here we are the guy will turn 30 and is still on the payroll.

SouthPredators4

Our "best player without the ball" was and still is one of the biggest bullshit lines on this forum, used to mask a very limited footballer who has been stealing a living from this club. Yes he has his uses absolutely, at a team set up like West Ham, who play on the counter and a limited CAM like Lingard can contribute with his running, but also mask his limited quality on the ball.

Take a look at City last night, they employ players like Bernardo, KDB and Foden, who are in a different stratosphere to Lingard, not because they are great without the ball, but because they are absolute magicians with it. Now if we have an ambition to get to that level, we can not accommodate a midfielder like Lingard, who can't hold on the ball in a high intensity game and passes backwards or side ways under the slightest bit of pressure. That has been evident since forever, but here we are the guy will turn 30 and is still on the payroll.

100% spot on.

Velvet Revolver

This! Academy status is what has kept him here for this long. Should have sold him last summer for peanuts

Kaos

Him and Pogba finally leaving will give me the same jubilation of when we sign a new player.

I'm still nervous we're going to offer him a new deal.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
But you need more than just running around to be an attacker for Utd.

Yes, too many of our players are fecking lazy and need to go, but at the same time we also need quality and just because Lingard presses more than the others doesn't mean he's anywhere close to good enough.

He had a purple patch of a couple of months about fecking 5 years ago. That's it, other than those 9 or 10 weeks he's not looked good enough in his entire Utd career.

Desperate for him to finally leave.
This.
He's a con artist.

Getting rid of him and Pogba in a few weeks will be a dream

romufc

It will be interesting to see where he goes. Do West Ham really need him? Yes, he may play well for a few games but he is not that good.

I am so glad to see the back of him. His off the field antics are pathetic and him leaking information shows his professionalism.

Kostov

This! Academy status is what has kept him here for this long. Should have sold him last summer for peanuts
Incompetent planning and management kept him here. And when I think of it, they have done more bad than good to his reputation. He could have left as a once useful academy graduate who scored in a good cup run, instead he has been on of the epitomes of a disastrous squad building and management.

Oldyella

It will be interesting to see where he goes. Do West Ham really need him? Yes, he may play well for a few games but he is not that good.

I am so glad to see the back of him. His off the field antics are pathetic and him leaking information shows his professionalism.
I could see Newcastle. Would be a good stepping stone player that they will need more of for the next year or two as they grow and sign the bigger name players.

RoyH1

Him and Pogba finally leaving will give me the same jubilation of when we sign a new player.

I'm still nervous we're going to offer him a new deal.
There's no way Ragnick and Ten Hag can want him back. He cannot be a part of the new culture they will try to build.

Kaos

There's no way Ragnick and Ten Hag can want him back. He cannot be a part of the new culture they will try to build.
If the club decide to offer him a new contract, there's little they could do. There is precedence for this.

romufc

I could see Newcastle. Would be a good stepping stone player that they will need more of for the next year or two as they grow and sign the bigger name players.
Didn't they sign Bruno in that role? or is he a CM? I am not sure.

I guess he could go there, they can afford his wages. It depends on the route Newcastle want to go because they can easily outgrow Lingard in a year.

Gandalf

Didn't they sign Bruno in that role? or is he a CM? I am not sure.

I guess he could go there, they can afford his wages. It depends on the route Newcastle want to go because they can easily outgrow Lingard in a year.
I think what happened in January might have soured them on him anyway. We were not looking to do a loan deal but it was reported that we had agreed a deal for a permanent transfer and Jesse vetoed that because he only wanted the loan, presumably so he could go negotiate as a free agent in the summer. It might be petty but I would imagine Newcastle would tell him to jog on if he showed interest this summer. I still think it will be West Ham, Vlasic has been something of a bust and on a free it is a complete no brainer for them as he fits what they do, just a shame he did not push for the move 12 months ago.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
What a massive mistake not cashing in on him after West Ham loan was. Huge.
By all accounts it sounds like we tried to and Jesse was more than happy to wait it out on his current deal so he could get his fat signing on fee when his contract expires.

romufc

I think what happened in January might have soured them on him anyway. We were not looking to do a loan deal but it was reported that we had agreed a deal for a permanent transfer and Jesse vetoed that because he only wanted the loan, presumably so he could go negotiate as a free agent in the summer. It might be petty but I would imagine Newcastle would tell him to jog on if he showed interest this summer. I still think it will be West Ham, Vlasic has been something of a bust and on a free it is a complete no brainer for them as he fits what they do, just a shame he did not push for the move 12 months ago.
Thats true, considering he is a free agent, no one knows how much signing on fee he might ask. I suspect that he is looking to see if there is other parties involved and for it to become a bidding war.

If West Ham win the Europa, it will most likely be them, getting a player that not only has done well at West Ham but has CL experience.

Will they be able to offer him his wages though?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
By all accounts it sounds like we tried to and Jesse was more than happy to wait it out on his current deal so he could get his fat signing on fee when his contract expires.
Yeah.

He was - obviously - not a central part of Ole's plans (if he had been, he wouldn't have been sent out on loan).

Getting a new contract on improved terms was unlikely and West Ham weren't prepared to improve his current (with United) salary - so, yeah: best way for him to make money would indeed be to let the contract expire, pocket the signing-on fee and then take a (likely) pay cut at his new club (wherever that might be - but there will plenty of takers among the mid-to-lower table clubs).

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Goodbye little one. Milked us for years and used us to raise his personal profile and wealth after a decent season or two. Fairly poor/short peak for the amount of time and money we invested in him. These things happen but I’m sick of it happening to us. Wish we’d got rid while his stock was high and I saw it coming a mile off. We need to get much better at that. Reinvest the money into more hungry players who are actually on the up. It’s like a fecking hospice for careers here the last few years unless it’s off the pitch stuff.

Last edited:

ForeverRed1

Yeah that makes sense. I don’t understand why he’s so toxic considering everyone at West Ham loved him. Weird isn’t it? Maybe he was just on best behaviour.

Redlyn

What utter rubbish gets posted here about Lingard and last summer's public announcement that we wanted to keep him.

Few basics:
1. You get offered less money for players you say you want to sell.
2. He was a 28 year old with a history of going long periods in dreadful form. Clubs were clearly not interested in the risk of an expensive deal that took him to 32/33 years old.
3. If he wanted to leave then he could have handed in a transfer request. This would have lowered what United were happy to accept as they wouldn't have to pay the balance on his contract.

We'll have to see where he ends up, and what he achieves when he gets there. I wouldn't be surprised if West Ham decide against signing him, a permanent transfer is a different prospect to a six month loan, just as Newcastle's January interest confirmed.
He probably wanted to leave and play but not to the extent of handing in a transfer request. That would not have been a wise move for him.

He thought his successful loan could earn him some playing time or he could get another loan.
He won't get a better salary elsewhere. So why forfeit the money for the last season, the sign on bonus and limit your options for the next destination.

Really the best outcome for Jesse was to see out his contract.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Yeah that makes sense. I don’t understand why he’s so toxic considering everyone at West Ham loved him. Weird isn’t it? Maybe he was just on best behaviour.
He doesn’t strike me as the most mature 29 year old and that’s being kind.

He’s been at United since he was a little kid and he’s no doubt part of a clique which has a bit of power.

Take him out of his little universe and drop him into a new club in a new city where he hasn’t got any of his mates to bounce off and he hasn’t got the benefit of the doubt of staff throughout the club and he’s a timid little weasel.