Jesse Lingard 'to leave on a free'

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Forgot that he hadn’t left yet, and will now almost certainly be staying and getting more game time.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I feel like we probably now need him with Greenwood unavailable.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I feel like we probably now need him with Greenwood unavailable.
As much as we need a virus. He (and his entourage) need banishing to the Shadow realm of the U23s and United's facebook account.

Last edited:

Tap

Crazy how he wasn’t sold when his stock was high after that West Ham loan. What’s the point of keeping him on and doing nothing only to leave on a free?
Gotta ask the Woodward or Solskjær about that

Gandalf

Gotta ask the Woodward or Solskjær about that
Got to have a willing buyer which contrary to the endless rounds of fairy tales spun on these boards it seems there never was. West Ham were the only club with interest but never submitted a formal bid, made noises through the media of only valuing him at around 7Million and were scared off from even making that offer when mean old Ole said he loved Lingzy and he was part of his plans despite Moyes of all people knowing full well from personal experience that the decision was not Ole's to make.

red4ever 79

Player wanted to go, Manager said he could go, Board said he had to stay. Only at Disney land FC would you see this happening.

joedirt87

chance to make 7 million off him before he leaves and potentially take points off the other top 4 contenders at Newcastle. Maybe they'll use him without greenwood, who knows.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
When the manager and management appear to be briefing journalists with opposite messages, it's not a strong look.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
seems the club disagree?
That's no measuring stick of good decision-making for one.

Also, Rangnick has given the go-ahead but the morons in charge want too much for someone who's leaving for nothing in 5 months.

jeff_goldblum

It's difficult to ascribe any sort of strategic thinking to our club structure but in the circumstances, even before the events of last week, I think not loaning him was probably the right decision.

Barring a significant financial incentive, it's not in our interests to loan out a player who will leave for free in 6 months anyway. We're not going to see the normal benefits we'd expect from a loan, like player development or a higher transfer value afterwards (see Amad, Martial, Van De Beek). If Lingard wants to run his contract down and leave for free that's fair enough, but we're under no obligation to reward him for it by releasing him on the cheap for a trial shift. That goes double for Newcastle who are well capable of paying to buy him now if they want him that much, will inevitably be a major player in the league in the next 5 years and who stand to gain enormously if Lingard helps them stay up.

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
Going off social media looks like Jesse has been holidaying during the international break, where as you see the non internationals training, are we assuming Jesse is as good as gone?

Tyrion

When the manager and management appear to be briefing journalists with opposite messages, it's not a strong look.
Especially when everyone knows the management are idiots, including the very journalists they're briefing.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Going off social media looks like Jesse has been holidaying during the international break, where as you see the non internationals training, are we assuming Jesse is as good as gone?
Yes, 100%.

flameinthesun

I'm not even mad at Jesse, guy tried to leave in the summer and winter only to be kept and given a few minutes here and there. If he was playing for a west ham this season he'd probably go to the world cup. So I got no qulams with the lad even.

RedRob

"I believe. I believe there will be more. T
If this is true, I don't know what sort of message he thinks he's sending to potential new employers. Even at West Ham, where he was in the form of his life, Moyes would surely be reluctant based on his focus on hard working players over individual skill. Newcastle can afford anyone these days, they too might not want someone so unprofessional when they can just splash the cash.

Red00012

This is on Ole , he could have sold him last summer . Told him to stay and promised him minutes then didn’t give him game time .

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
He should quit football and get into modelling or whatever it is kids his age are into these days

Yakuza_devils

If the players have the fitness to run 90 mins people will not complain if they have holidays during the season instead of training hard.

crossy1686

career ending
This is on Ole , he could have sold him last summer . Told him to stay and promised him minutes then didn’t give him game time .
To be fair to Ole, I think the board refused to sell him unless the fee was much higher than they were being offered, but Ole should have insisted he goes no matter the price. Just another example of weak management

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
joker has been on a permanent holiday for 5 years.

wolvored

Whatever you think of him and others not on international duty it must be RR and/or the board that has allowed them to have a break instead of getting a much needed training week in.

m1tch

I don't get this view at all. Surely the conclusion from Ole not playing him is that he was only publicly saying he wanted to keep him as a way to drive up the fee?
You don't high fees for players you're desperate to get rid of, so at least pretend you want to keep them, no?

I think the most plausible reason we've still got him is that the interested clubs weren't interested enough to give us a fee that would cover what we owed him on his remaining contract. Which he could have waived if he handed in a transfer request, which he hasn't done. So the likely truth is he gambled on us accepting a late offer in order to keep the money from the rest of his contract. It's on him if he doesn't World Cup, not just in the fact he didn't put in a transfer request, but also that despite doing well at West Ham last year, neither West Ham or Newcastle thought he was worth the risk/money. They know as much as us that he can be out of form for 12 months easily.

GMoore23

I'm not even mad at Jesse, guy tried to leave in the summer and winter only to be kept and given a few minutes here and there. If he was playing for a west ham this season he'd probably go to the world cup. So I got no qulams with the lad even.
I didn't notice him pushing too hard for a move in the summer.

Dan_F

In Milan again and leaving on a free transfer from United. No prizes for guessing where he’ll be playing next year…

Chris M

I'd like to have to discuss this topic again next year, let him go on free, pay him to go, along with Pogba, Rashford, Shaw they have all forgotten its a team game and not about themselves.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Scholes suggesting Jesse could sign a new deal

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
He isn't fit to cut the grass at old trafford. We should pay him to leave.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I heard the interview this morning. I don't think he is suggesting that Lingard would sign a new deal, he merely stated his belief that he wouldn't rule out the possibility that Ten Hag might want him around.

L1nk

Scholes suggesting Jesse could sign a new deal
No ffs, move on, get rid, let him go, never been good enough. These ex players are really starting to piss me off