Jesse Lingard will have an excellent season | Discuss in his player performance thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djemba-Djemba

Well an assist can also be a 5 yard sideways pass and if its done at the perfect time and tempo then its still an important part of any goal anyway

I posted the article earlier which talked about the low amount of goals and assists from players like Iniesta and Modric who conversely score highly in the pre-assist charts - to be fair though, they are not usually playing as high up the pitch as Lingard is for us

So yes He does deserve criticism for lack of output, especially when we have seen that he is capable of scoring spectacular goals and has even done it on high profile occasions (cup finals, world cup etc) but as usual some of the criticism goes way overboard
I think some of the attempts to defend him are pretty ridiculous and go way overboard too though to be honest.

Nanotron

Wasnt it AF that said if youre good enough then youre old enough. No harm in playing Gomex on the bench and giving him the last 20 mins in the previous two games.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I think it's gone past just being frustrating now. It's horrendous.

No goals or assists in the league, one goal no assists in all competitions, since Boxing Day? There's only so long his movement and pressing can used to excuse that.
That stat is just so unbelievably shit that I assumed it must be wrong, and transfermarkt.co.uk do indeed credit him with a whopping one assist since then, when he won a penalty vs Burnley in January :lol:. I really hope Ole allows Gomes or Pereira a chance to earn that place.

Abe144

Supports
CD Guadalajara
This might sound a bit silly, but if we had someone like KDB or similar.. Lingard would look so much better, if you watch closely Lingard makes a lot of penetrating runs inbetween oppo back 4, that get completely ignored, if someone actually picked their head up and could find a good weighted pass we'd be in all the time..
A 10 needs another 10 to play him through on goal?

passing-wind

But even if we put any worth into pre assists, they've been 5 yard sideways passes.

Goals and assists genuinely aren't the be all and end all I agree, but I think Lingards lack of output has gone to such an extreme level it is what the focus should be on

In any team , in any division if you had an attacking player going 14 games without a goal or assist they'd be nowhere near the first 11 and the source of huge criticism.
I agree but for a player who is largely used centrally as a 10 his stats are absolutely disgraceful. I put Lingard in the same boat as Shaw, performed decently under Mourinho absolutely horrendous under Solskjaer. It's a make it break season for them both.

billybee99

Well an assist can also be a 5 yard sideways pass and if its done at the perfect time and tempo then its still an important part of any goal anyway

I posted the article earlier which talked about the low amount of goals and assists from players like Iniesta and Modric who conversely score highly in the pre-assist charts - to be fair though, they are not usually playing as high up the pitch as Lingard is for us

So yes He does deserve criticism for lack of output, especially when we have seen that he is capable of scoring spectacular goals and has even done it on high profile occasions (cup finals, world cup etc) but as usual some of the criticism goes way overboard
Iniesta. Modric. Lingard. Yeah, that's a great comparison. Three all-time greats of the game.

GiddyUp

41 goals in his professional club career. Chris Smalling has 18. I'm sure Jesse is a good lad, bit of a knob at times but likable. Bottom line is he should be nowhere near this football club at his age. Another Tom Cleverley stinking up the team.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Wish i'd won the lottery too just like our own Jesse. Does nothing in a year and still gets paid millions:rolleyes:
I dont get it why we dont have clauses where after a period of time if the performances aren't up to standard the salary decreases by a certain amount.
We're basically throwing away money like we did with Sanchez

Andersons Dietician

Wish i'd won the lottery too just like our own Jesse. Does nothing in a year and still gets paid millions:rolleyes:
I dont get it why we dont have clauses where after a period of time if the performances aren't up to standard the salary decreases by a certain amount.
:lol: How on earth would you enforce that?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
And the best thing is that his luck never goes away. He had shit season and what happens? We hire coach who trained him in youth team and who rates him a lot.

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
Dog shit of a player

“But but, he runs like a headless chicken!”

Everything wrong with United now. How this man is still relied to start and hasn’t been replaced is fecking stupid. Feck off, this club used to give more joy than headache not long ago...

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
How many goals and assists Jesse has in his United career? Of course not counting pre pre assists, or pre pre pre assists!
:lol::lol:

He passed the ball in the fourth minute that directly led to martials goal in the 27th minute.

A pre pre pre pre......pre (10000) assist.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Dog shit of a player

“But but, he runs like a headless chicken!”

Everything wrong with United now. How this man is still relied to start and hasn’t been replaced is fecking stupid. Feck off, this club used to give more joy than headache not long ago...
Jesus.

Djemba-Djemba

If Liverpool had an attacking player that had gone 14 games without a goal or assist and in fact had gone without a goal or assist for 11 of the last 12 months of football, but we had scousers on here banging on about movement, pressing and pre assists they'd be laughed off the Caf.

It's Glaston levels of desperate excuse making.

Giggsyking

Yeah
its called performance bonuses

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
The penny has to drop on Lingard. If Ole still remembers the kind of quality United should stand for, this should be a make or break season for him.

That being said, it's only 2 games into the new season.

fps

Lingard's playing as well as he can. He's very fit, mobile, hard-working. He's not good enough to be more than a squad player, so getting a top quality 10 in must be a priority if this is the shape going forward.

jesperjaap

He isnt awful, but neither is he good. I do think he is actualoly a valuable squad number as he does have uses. The irony is, he is playing at the moment in a number 10 role we havent had for years even though we have been signing number 10s all the way back to Kagawa....and now what to we have. A decent number 10 in Mata, yet another one we signed who has been playing out wide and now the opportunity is there he is past his best....and Lingard and the role of a number 10 certainly isnt about running and pressing.

I think we have the ideal player in terms of ability for this role in Gomes and it is too early for him to be starting games, but he really should be on that bench, how is he going to get opportunities otherwise?

devips

This will be Lingard's real breakthrough year. I am sure of it. It's only 2 matches, haters. Give him a little more time.

mattsville

It was clear he was not focused in that match, he ran a lot off the ball but on the ball he was poor, he produced a series of basic mistakes and should have been subbed much earlier if we were determined to go after the win, you can speculate he was kept on for his off the ball work ethic as the match was cagey after wolves equalised, and put in the managers position you can lend understanding to that decision given it was a tough away fixture, but still the United fan in you always screams go for it.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
If Liverpool had an attacking player that had gone 14 games without a goal or assist and in fact had gone without a goal or assist for 11 of the last 12 months of football, but we had scousers on here banging on about movement, pressing and pre assists they'd be laughed off the Caf.

It's Glaston levels of desperate excuse making.
He's comparable to Origi at this point.

Will Singh

I just read this tread from a few pages back and there's people seriously thinking a pre assist pass is a stat? How far would you go back as it could be De Gea kicks the ball to Lingard who is open and he passes a 2 yard pass to Pogba who puts Martial through and he buries it. I think De Gea should be given credit more then JlingZ, who's with me?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He drags the opposition's defenders around with his movements though... then They easily get back to their original positions. Fecking hell, just start Mason or anyone over him every game.

Matt6677

No way he is a good enough to be a starter but wont mind him as a squad player though

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I think the difference between Sir Alex and now is that our top quality youth who weren't going to feature much in the first team were sent out on loan to decent clubs instead rather than being part of the first team squad but never involved in the actual game. Ultimately the fans might be over hyping this batch of youth players when the Management actually think they're not cut out for it. I mean either neither Chong or Gomes can displace Lingard who is so fecking ineffective in the final third then it's a worrying sign. Still early days and perhaps Ole is giving our senior players a chance before they get displaced.
It's just 2 games and 2 hard games. So can see why Ole didn't risk them. Going by the close door friendlies, it's a good sign for the young players. They didn't get games, so along with other back up players they also played part to be match fit. Also not playing for U23s means they are part of first team (at least for now), I think Ole thought its too risky to play them from the word go.

Once we have 3 games in a week, we should see these young players getting chances regularly. At least Greenwood (and hopefully Gomes too).

GenZRed

Wasnt it AF that said if youre good enough then youre old enough. No harm in playing Gomex on the bench and giving him the last 20 mins in the previous two games.
It was Sir Matt Busby who said that.

Status
Not open for further replies.