Jesse Lingard will have an excellent season | Discuss in his player performance thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRUERED89

A 10 needs another 10 to play him through on goal?
No just someone with vision and ability other than Pogba, who will pick out the in-behind runs he's constantly trying . However, his 2019 stats are horrendous and I cant defend his output.

Kurton

His game can be summed up in two sentences, he does a winger impression when in central positions by running into channels to get the ball in space, then he does an attacking midfielder impression by passing the ball to someone else and running back to central areas. In both cases, he fails to take responsibility to create a chance by keeping the ball under pressure, dribbling past a defender, and shooting or assisting. This is why his stats are so rediculous in terms of assists and goals. And this comes from his lack of ability on the ball and compensates it will hard work which people use as his defense. He is basically stealing a living at a club like United.

Reactions: berbatrick

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Adam Johnson has had more assists in the last 6 seasons than Lingard and he’s been in prison for 3 of em.

vidic blood & sand

I wonder if Lingard has read through this thread?

Soul destroyer or motivator?

Everyone thinks I'm shit, so I'm gonna..........??????

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I have contributed as many goals and assists as Jesse has in 2019

The Original

I think a lot of people need to take things in context when discussing Lingard. IIRC, Lingard like Martial was in fine form playing through the center until the club brought in Sanchez. As we have already seen with Martial, a return his favored positions has led to the goals coming back, and Lingard has looked sharp as a 10 when he has played there this season.

Some players are versatile, some are not. In some ways this has been one of the big issues with man utd in recent times: playing wingers at fullback, playing Mata on the flank, playing Perreirra at dm, etc.

So Lingard probably won't become a world-beater in that position, but his style of play is well-suited to playing in the hole in the current man utd setup. I'm confident that if he is allowed to settle into this position, he will bang in the goals.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He doesn't have any positional awareness or even discipline. Usually if you have no positional discipline it's because you're Ronaldo and score 50 goals a season so can do what the feck you like. We have Lingard. He might get to 50 bafflingly pointless bookings a season if we're lucky.

Infra-red

He is a terrible football player. Completely useless. Runs around like a headless chicken, contributing nothing.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
He's a starter for England though, with decent returns. i.e 4 in 14 for last year which is more than Dele Alli managed.
England are woefully short of talent in the midfield area. Getting selected and becoming a regular in that midfield isn't much of an achievement.

Goal returns aside, would you pick Jesse Lingard ahead of Dele Alli for England or United?

SAFMUTD

I knew he was not good enough, but looking at those stats...damn he's freaking awful :(

Giggsforever

I think a lot of people need to take things in context when discussing Lingard. IIRC, Lingard like Martial was in fine form playing through the center until the club brought in Sanchez. As we have already seen with Martial, a return his favored positions has led to the goals coming back, and Lingard has looked sharp as a 10 when he has played there this season.

Some players are versatile, some are not. In some ways this has been one of the big issues with man utd in recent times: playing wingers at fullback, playing Mata on the flank, playing Perreirra at dm, etc.

So Lingard probably won't become a world-beater in that position, but his style of play is well-suited to playing in the hole in the current man utd setup. I'm confident that if he is allowed to settle into this position, he will bang in the goals.
So you think a player that has not scored or assisted in 2019 (or in 11 out of the last 12 months), has the worst defensive stats of our attacking players and has the lowest amount of key passes and aerial duels won I have ever seen at the club is "well-suited to play in the hole" as our 10?

You don't have much ambitions for our club.

Darlington Padgett

The guy scored a fer important goals and we should give him credit for that. But he never really matured any aspect of his game,he's just not good at anything.

The Original

This is my last post for today so I have to reply you both at once.

England are woefully short of talent in the midfield area. Getting selected and becoming a regular in that midfield isn't much of an achievement.

Goal returns aside, would you pick Jesse Lingard ahead of Dele Alli for England or United?
I honestly think Lingard is much better than people realize which is why, coach after coach, from Ferguson to Ole and even Southgate, have stuck with him. I'm not saying he is top class but he is a good enough player if allowed to play his favored position.

So you think a player that has not scored or assisted in 2019 (or in 11 out of the last 12 months), has the worst defensive stats of our attacking players and has the lowest amount of key passes and aerial duels won I have ever seen at the club is "well-suited to play in the hole" as our 10?

I didn't say he is the best the club can get for the position. But he can play there and is the best option currently available at man utd. He has proven it over a limited period but if he could do it then he can do it again. It's no coincidence that about half of his entire career goals came in a period of about 3 months (from October 2017 to January 2018 iirc) when he was first given a run in the number 10 position.

There is no point going on about his current stats when the point I'm making is that he has not been used properly of recent.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes

Leave off the academy kids mate. He's young n lernin he'll come good this season for sure. It's nailed on.

AlwaysRed66

The problem with Lingard is how anonymous he is when playing in games. I watch matches & suddenly after an hour or so I notice Lingard is on the pitch playing, or he suddenly scores a spectacular goal. Will he used to score spectacular goals every now & again. I am not sure what he does except runs around, as he certainly doesn't score goals or make chances for teammates.

Hawks2008

I'm still amazed at the excuses that get pulled out for this guy.

"Oh he's a young lad" - He is older than Paul Pogba, and born the same year as the likes of Salah and Neymar.

"Great moment" - very rarely is his movement great, he runs away from the ball and hides from play. Gets dressed up as great movement by his fanboys but honestly he's just a headless chicken and a coward on the pitch.

"Pre-assists" - this made me laugh, just an utterly irrelevant and pedantic point to make. What next, pre-pre assists? Comical.

We play palace this week, he honestly belongs in a team like that. Awful player.

Giggsforever

This is my last post for today so I have to reply you both at once.

I honestly think Lingard is much better than people realize which is why, coach after coach, from Ferguson to Ole and even Southgate, have stuck with him. I'm not saying he is top class but he is a good enough player if allowed to play his favored position.

I didn't say he is the best the club can get for the position. But he can play there and is the best option currently available at man utd. He has proven it over a limited period but if he could do it then he can do it again. It's no coincidence that about half of his entire career goals came in a period of about 3 months (from October 2017 to January 2018 iirc) when he was first given a run in the number 10 position.

There is no point going on about his current stats when the point I'm making is that he has not been used properly of recent.
:houllier:

redcafe_reader

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't rate Lingard's movement. For me, his movement is kind of obvious and easy to mark/block (maybe if we have a player with passing/vision of Messi...). A player with good movement timed his run and constantly adapt his run based on the defender's position. But (In my view) Lingard mostly just move in one direction behind the defender line and wait for the pass which makes it's easier for the defender to block it. I didn't rate his "pressing" either as I think it's quite easy to get past him, he hardly makes a challenge or tackle.

I think Rashford has much better movement than Lingard. When he's on form it's quite hard to mark him since he constantly moving around, and he has pace and technique to make thing happen when he got the ball.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
What is his favoured position, right-wing? Left-wing? CAM? He's 26 years old and is yet to discover the position where he is most effective. He has poor composure, equally poor technique and non-existent end product.

Lingard is a below-average footballer currently stealing a living at one of the biggest football clubs in the world. How does that even happen?

Møllemanden

Using footystats, his United stats looks like this:

163 games played.
9534 mins played.
28 goals (average of 340.5 mins between goals).
14 assists (average of 681 mins between assists).

He's been involved in a total of 42 goals for United. A goal or assist every 227 minutes or approximately every 2½ games.

In my opinion Lingard is a decent squad player. And no more than that. He wouldn't start a game for any of our top six rivals, let alone the top teams across Europe. His drive when facing the opposition goal is good at times. But I don't see him as a player who can make a difference on the wing or in the number 10 role. His contribution so far in 2019 has been poor. Put him on the bench against Palace and let someone else have a go.

Matt6677

Might come across as a bit harsh but Lingard being a regular starter epitomizes exactly what is wrong with our team today.

He would be nowhere near the starting 11 during Fergie days

Beans

Supports
Neutral
People rating Lingard against the likes of David Silva and Pogba will never be happy. Lingard has crafted himself a squad place through sheer determination. There were so many players he played with in the Youth Academy rated higher than him, but he's the one that made the most of his ability. I remember Joshua King being a big scorer in the Youth Teams, Larnell Cole was hyped as the best prospect for a while, well, let's just look at the Jimmy Murphy award winners since Lingard was in the u23s/U21s:

Darron Gibson
Craig Cathcart
Danny Welbeck
Frederico Macheda
Will Keane
Ryan Tunnicliffe
Mats Moller Daehli
Ben Pearson
James Wilson

None of them is more useful in the modern game of pressing and quick touches than Lingard.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
People rating Lingard against the likes of David Silva and Pogba will never be happy. Lingard has crafted himself a squad place through sheer determination. There were so many players he played with in the Youth Academy rated higher than him, but he's the one that made the most of his ability. I remember Joshua King being a big scorer in the Youth Teams, Larnell Cole was hyped as the best prospect for a while, well, let's just look at the Jimmy Murphy award winners since Lingard was in the u23s/U21s:

Darron Gibson
Craig Cathcart
Danny Welbeck
Frederico Macheda
Will Keane
Ryan Tunnicliffe
Mats Moller Daehli
Ben Pearson
James Wilson

None of them is more useful in the modern game of pressing and quick touches than Lingard.
I, and many other I’m sure, would have no problem with him being a squad player, filling gaps in times of need. The problem is he is a first teamer in a critical position and he’s not fecking good enough for it. That’s why he’s compared to David Silva and others.....they are the other respective first teamers at our rivals

Snuffkin

Nah I'm not having this. He had a poor season last year and he's still finding his feet. I hope Southgate is as reactionary as the posters in this thread. A break from England duty will do him a world of good.
He is a cracking player and home grown. Let him recover his form and he'll be captain before the end of the season.

SteveW

Played well against Chelsea and badly against Wolves.

Caf melts down

SteveW

Darron Gibson
Craig Cathcart
Danny Welbeck
Frederico Macheda
Will Keane
Ryan Tunnicliffe
Mats Moller Daehli
Ben Pearson
James Wilson

Not something that ever happened. He played in a youth team with Pogba, Morrison, Lingard, the Keane brothers and others such as Thorpe and Tunnicliffe who were hyped by many. I can assure you he was not seen as anything close to the best prospect or even in the top 5 on that team.

MartyManc

He’s not a kid anymore and he offers absolutely feck all to this team. He’s hopeless.

Status
Not open for further replies.