Jesse Lingard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominos

Can anyone explain why we extended his contract by a year so we could send him on loan for half a season, bring him back and have him see sit on the bench for a year then leave for free?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think Ole would have clearly told Lingard privately that he is not in his plans. Ole is quite honest with his players from what i have read. Up to Lingard to show some ambition and move on for regular football.
He wouldn't say he's not in his plans. Just will tell him his chances are limited but will count on him if called upon. Now up to Lingard if he's satisfied with that.

NK86

He wouldn't say he's not in his plans. Just will tell him his chances are limited but will count on him if called upon. Now up to Lingard if he's satisfied with that.
I was not there to know how he framed it, but would have surely made it clear to him that he will be struggling for game time.

Matt851

I think he should leave but he’s way better than VDB that’s for sure.
Remind me how many goals and assists did jesse get for us over the 2-3 years before going on loan? Dont forget donny had some very good games in the cl

Jesse did well for a while at west ham but his skill set appears to be mainly suited to counter attacking teams

stevoc

Out of the two winger spots i think Lingard is actually the best defensively. I think he could be an option in games where we need one defensive winger. The James replacement if you will.
He's not going to be getting James minutes as James would have barely played either which is why he's leaving.

4 of Pogba/Rashford/Martial/Sancho/Greenwood would have to be injured/suspended/rested for Jesse to get a look in on the wing and that's before even bringing other wing options like Ronaldo/Mata/Diallo and Elanga into the equation.

If Lingard makes 3-5 starts this season I'd be honestly surprised. I reckon Jesse would probably be surprised as well.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
So rather than own a pile of bollox you’re going to double down? Really?

you said he only wants to sit in the stand, taking the money so he can concentrate on his brand.
What are you on about? Lingard looks to stay, potentially not even make the bench in most games. If he is fine with that, it shows his ambition as he was a key player for WH last season

Tony247

I mean if we play rashford-Ronaldo-Sancho upfront and we need midfield reinforcement then we can put Greenwood in the mix. That lad can easily play behind the strikers. Why bother with Lingard?

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Out of the two winger spots i think Lingard is actually the best defensively. I think he could be an option in games where we need one defensive winger. The James replacement if you will.
But the question is do we really need it? Wouldn't it make more sense to get a defensive minded midfielder who can do the same job? I dont think he will ever start for us if all of our attackers are fit.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
He should be embarrassed if he remains at the club by the end of today.
He wont be, he will just carry on thinking he is either A: a fantastic player who will surely start soon, or B: carry on being content with arseing about with his mates and collecting a wage.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
He's not going to be getting James minutes as James would have barely played either which is why he's leaving.

4 of Pogba/Rashford/Martial/Sancho/Greenwood would have to be injured/suspended/rested for Jesse to get a look in on the wing and that's before even bringing other wing options like Ronaldo/Mata/Diallo and Elanga into the equation.

If Lingard makes 3-5 starts this season I'd be honestly surprised. I reckon Jesse would probably be surprised as well.
If he stays I'm sure he'll make more than 4 starts.

snk123

If West Ham can spend 30m on Zouma then they should be paying 30m for Lingard who completely transformed their side last season. I for one am happy that we are not backing off the price. Too many times we have been mugged by these clubs

stevoc

If he stays I'm sure he'll make more than 4 starts.
Yeah he might get 5 starts. Bear in mind he only started 3 games for us last season and that was before we had Ronaldo/Sancho/Diallo.

Personally I don't think he's in Solskjaer's plans at all and he's probably been told as much.

Rajma

If West Ham can spend 30m on Zouma then they should be paying 30m for Lingard who completely transformed their side last season. I for one am happy that we are not backing off the price. Too many times we have been mugged by these clubs
Problem is we badly need a CDM and Ole is not being ruthless and pragmatic here, Lingard is of no use to us any longer, so why set yourself up for fail because of 10million or so? Next year he leaves for free after us paying his wages throughout the season too on top of the lost 15-20million we could have gotten for him, it’s braindead business whichever way you want to look at it.

Djemba-Djemba

I just really hope we don't give him a new contract to "protect his value", like we did with Jones and Rojo.

If he's going to be here for the season, have this be the last one and he can go on a free next year.

He must know he has almost no chance of any decent playing time this season, it feels odd for a guy who is 28 to be willing to just waste a year of his career.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
What are you on about? Lingard looks to stay, potentially not even make the bench in most games. If he is fine with that, it shows his ambition as he was a key player for WH last season
So because he has a loan there HE MUST GO TO WEST HAM?
sorry I take back what I said earlier, you’re not doubling down.
You’re tripling down.

all I want to do is address what you keep ignoring. Your original post

Shows his personality and attitude. He rather sits in the stands focusing on his brands and chilling with his friends than push for a football career.
this post was a load of old bollox was it not?

considering he played it’s already been debunked

Last edited:

Red Royal

So all those interviews last season when he was at Hammers, saying he was enjoying life again, had a smile on his face etc.... has he forgotten those feelings?
I hope for his own mental state of mind he makes the right choice, not good enough to be in our starting x1 or one of first backups, but too good to waste his career away.

the_cliff

People seem to be forgetting he's on the last year of his contract, 30 mill is crazy talk. Would've snapped their hands off for 15.

golden_blunder

Staff
So all those interviews last season when he was at Hammers, saying he was enjoying life again, had a smile on his face etc.... has he forgotten those feelings?
I hope for his own mental state of mind he makes the right choice, not good enough to be in our starting x1 or one of first backups, but too good to waste his career away.
Not saying this is a reason but you mention his mental state. He has to figure the mental state of the people he looks after (his little sister and his mum whose mental state might not be good at this point in time).
There’s a load for him to consider

stevoc

Not saying this is a reason but you mention his mental state. He has to figure the mental state of the people he looks after (his little sister and his mum whose mental state might not be good at this point in time).
So do you think he only wants a move to a club in the Manchester area to be close to family?

Red Royal

Perhaps, and I have Sympathy for any personal issues. However he did say he turned them around a bit last season, and for Jesses sake (I actually like his character) I hope he makes the right choice. Probably going to stay this window now and who knows, may get more minutes then expected.

Djemba-Djemba

I think it's a shame for him to go from being one of the first names on the teamsheet last season at West Ham, playing really well and looking full of confidence to coming back here to sit on the bench and probably even sit in the stands most weeks.

I know he's a Utd fan but I think he'd be much better off moving on.

Redcy

I've said it before he will get a contract extension unless something amazing happens. Possibly if everton comes in he might move, if the lad has issues around family, and being in the area, someone like everton would be great for him. He might see earning 140k a week, being near home and being around a club he loves as more important than getting game time. Tops he will make 5-6 appearances this year, a few fa and league cup games, one or two sub appearances, and maybe a CL game if they are a dead rubber.

van Nistelrooy

"Fight for his place"... That would be all well and good if he hadn't already attempted that countless times already. He can only play in the number 10 role and Bruno has been the first name on the teamsheet since he arrived now. Bruno even has a sulk if he's subbed off.

So basically Lingard will occupy a spot on the bench, come on for a few minnutes every now and then playing out of position. The Southampton game was a perfect example; came on in the 86th minnute looking for a winner with Bruno still on the pitch. Did nothing. I would rather bring Mata on who could produce a killer pass rather than aimless running round by Lingard.

The Vlasic deal to West Ham has surely killed off any move today, but I'm still optimistic. He clearly lacks ambition by not seeking first-team football after a successful spell at West Ham. Dancing around on the training pitch for some content for his socials will no doubt be his priority now. As someone already mentioned, Rio's words about Phil Jones apply to Lingard just as much.

I'll be ashamed of Uunited if we end up giving Lingard a new 4-5 year contract. Someone please bid today!

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
29, in the final year of a big contract. Yeah, pretty natural the #1 priority is to monetize. He'll get £60-80k a week offers next season anyways. Hell he might even break £100k, on a free

Last edited:

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
So because he has a loan there HE MUST GO TO WEST HAM?
sorry I take back what I said earlier, you’re not doubling down.
You’re tripling down.

all I want to do is address what you keep ignoring. Your original post

this post was a load of old bollox was it not?

considering he played it’s already been debunked
In a game where we had not everyone available or really ready. Do you think he will start more than 10 games?
Not saying he should move to WH, but he could have moved to another club and start every game but he did not. And that raises question marks

golden_blunder

Staff
So do you think he only wants a move to a club in the Manchester area to be close to family?
I don’t know I’m just saying there’s more to a decision than just saying go to West Ham. He may have enjoyed his loan there but it may not suit him long term.

golden_blunder

Staff
In a game where we had not everyone available or really ready. Do you think he will start more than 10 games?
Not saying he should move to WH, but he could have moved to another club and start every game but he did not. And that raises question marks
Again avoidance. Fine I will leave it there.

Rob Bowman

I wish nothing but the best for this lad. That said I do not see much playing time here barring a massive amount of injuries. As we have needs elsewhere, it really seems like a move is best for both parties.

Based on that logic I am sure nothing close to that will happen here at good ole Manchester United :P

Wicked_Badger

I’d hoped he’d be moved on, we’d get a fee & he’d get regular footy this season but it makes some sense from his POV:

- He’ll see out a lucrative contract, probably including loyalty bonus.
- He might win something this year (if he plays enough, which he should given DJ’s transfer)
- His next contract (probably his last big one) will be worth significantly more if a team doesn’t have to shell out £25m for him
- Gets to play/train with Ronaldo

Hope we see the confident WHU version of him when he plays.

stevoc

I’d hoped he’d be moved on, we’d get a fee & he’d get regular footy this season but it makes some sense from his POV:

- He’ll see out a lucrative contract, probably including loyalty bonus.
- He might win something this year (if he plays enough, which he should given DJ’s transfer)
- His next contract (probably his last big one) will be worth significantly more if a team doesn’t have to shell out £25m for him
- Gets to play/train with Ronaldo

Hope we see the confident WHU version of him when he plays.
James left because he would hardly play with Sancho and Ronaldo arriving. What's different for Jesse?

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
If he is happy to stay and be about the fringes of the first team for the season, then that's fair enough. I assume that he is a positive influence on the squad as a whole as well.

I do think that we should let him leave on a free next summer, or even in January if a deal can be struck.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Why not sell him for 15m now instead?
If he wants to go, then 100%.

If you try to get rid of a player who wants to stay, they can always say no to a move. Then you have a pissed off player with your squad for a year, and a former youth team player who is friends with other first teamers too.

passing-wind

If a price was quoted to West Ham and they couldn't agree a fee with the club that's not the players fault.

Regarding all the evidence we have seen if West Ham bid 25 million for the player he would have left. The real shame for Lingard however is his chances with England for the upcoming world cup. Fernandes isn't getting dropped and DVB barely gets game time I'd consider Lingard the 3rd choice midfield option. He'll have a handful of games this season.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He bloats the squad a little with the amount of attackers we already have, but as long as we don't give him a new contract and let him leave on a free next year then we'll be fine. Least we ended up getting a good fee for James in the end.

Alemar

If you try to get rid of a player who wants to stay, they can always say no to a move. Then you have a pissed off player with your squad for a year, and a former youth team player who is friends with other first teamers too.
If he wants to be on the bench in a World Cup year, fair enough. But he doesn’t have many chances to make England squad for the WC without being a regular starter.

It’s difficult to believe he may realistically bench Bruno, or Greenwood, or Sancho, or Rashford…

Status
Not open for further replies.