Jesse Lingard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redcy

3 seasons ago the lad had a stonker of a season scoring the types of goals that had him labelled Messi Lingard. The next season he was awful, (it came out later that he was going through a hard time at home which affected his mental state) then last season in his short WH loan he regained his form looking a bit kind Messi Lingard again. I think if someone gets him they will get a good player. And if he stays for now, we get a good squad player.
Tbf it was a six week period at Whu. In between that he had a period of almost literally nothing.

again we are keeping players around because they are good around the dressing room, possible future coaches, etc on 60k-120k a week

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
3 seasons ago the lad had a stonker of a season scoring the types of goals that had him labelled Messi Lingard. The next season he was awful, (it came out later that he was going through a hard time at home which affected his mental state) then last season in his short WH loan he regained his form looking a bit kind Messi Lingard again. I think if someone gets him they will get a good player. And if he stays for now, we get a good squad player.
There is no doubt he is good squad option to have but I don't think he will play unless we have injuries considering we are debating how many games Martial will get this season when Rashford is back in October. From player perspective this should be concerning considering he is 28 years old and is quite a good player as he has shown on loan last season. That's why it's baffling to me that he doesn't want to take risk and accept lower salary for a year somewhere and get back into form. Might even get him back in frame for next year world cup. Also our evaluation would have been lower if Lingard actually insist on moving and open to accept lower salary.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
There is no doubt he is good squad option to have but I don't think he will play unless we have injuries considering we are debating how many games Martial will get this season when Rashford is back in October. From player perspective this should be concerning considering he is 28 years old and is quite a good player as he has shown on loan last season. That's why it's baffling to me that he doesn't want to take risk and accept lower salary for a year somewhere and get back into form. Might even get him back in frame for next year world cup. Also our evaluation would have been lower if Lingard actually insist on moving and open to accept lower salary.
Maybe he is open to leaving just not to london given his personal circumstances

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Starters are probably gonna be Ronaldo/Rashford/Sancho or Greenwood. Back-ups will be Cavani, Martial, Sancho or Greenwood.

In a creative midfield role there is Pogba and Bruno and that Dutch guy might get a game or two.

Lingard hasn't a fecking prayer for playing time outside maybe 1 or 2 soft cup ties, if we get them and 1 or 2 CL dead rubber games, if we perform extremely well to put us in that position. Neither are guaranteed.

It's blatantly obvious he has zero interest in football. United should've just put the price at £10-12 million, invite a load of clubs in for him and get him out. He goes for free in a few months, no point trying to get £20-30 million. Anything is a bonus for a completely unnecessary player like him.

Based Adnan

Lingard hasn't a fecking prayer for playing time outside maybe 1 or 2 soft cup ties, if we get them and 1 or 2 CL dead rubber games, if we perform extremely well to put us in that position. Neither are guaranteed.
Even then, if it's a dead rubber cup or CL game he'd be taking valuable minutes away from the likes of Hannibal/Amad/Elanga/Shoretire...

Kag

Starters are probably gonna be Ronaldo/Rashford/Sancho or Greenwood. Back-ups will be Cavani, Martial, Sancho or Greenwood.

In a creative midfield role there is Pogba and Bruno and that Dutch guy might get a game or two.

It's blatantly obvious he has zero interest in football. United should've just put the price at £10-12 million, invite a load of clubs in for him and get him out. He goes for free in a few months, no point trying to get £20-30 million. Anything is a bonus for a completely unnecessary player like him.
Inclined to agree. Him staying at the club looks nothing other than a refusal on his part to actually play some football.

Cue another period of sporadic appearances, non-existent performances and longer term absence from the national set up. Daft lad.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't know why he isn't pushing for the move when he can play regularly at most clubs in the league and also earn decent money.

JerseyDevil

I feel pretty bad for him. As a regular first team player a few years ago, he was a lot of fun to watch, and deserves the minutes, somewhere. I don't see him keeping on a brave face as the season rolls on and he isn't a big part of it. He wants to play.

Banana Republic

I have a horrible suspicion that Ole will try to use him.
Remember, Ole was a Utd youth coach and then our reserves manager when Jesse was coming up through the ranks, along with Pogba.
He had a direct hand in developing these young players and nurturing their progress.
Ole appears to have a soft spot for the lad and may still rate him?

We also know that Ole has solid form in repeatedly bashing his head against the wall and doing the same thing or keeping to the same plan, even when it’s evident to everyone else, that it isn’t working.
He did that the season before last by giving Jesse chance after chance after chance, even though he was getting worst game by game.
I had hoped by sidelining the lad last season and the loan spell, Ole had finally changed his mind, but something keeps nagging me Ole will try and repeat the whole fruitless exercise again.
I hope not.

JerseyDevil

I have a horrible suspicion that Ole will try to use him.
Remember, Ole was a Utd youth coach and then our reserves manager when Jesse was coming up through the ranks, along with Pogba.
He had a direct hand in developing these young players and nurturing their progress.
Ole appears to have a soft spot for the lad and may still rate him?

We also know that Ole has solid form in repeatedly bashing his head against the wall and doing the same thing or keeping to the same plan, even when it’s evident to everyone else, that it isn’t working.
He did that the season before last by giving Jesse chance after chance after chance, even though he was getting worst game by game.
I had hoped by sidelining the lad last season and the loan spell, Ole had finally changed his mind, but something keeps nagging me Ole will try and repeat the whole fruitless exercise again.
I hope not.

I really hope they can offload be3fore the window closes, but I fear you may be right on this one. Especially during FA Cup, or other 'lighter' competition. Ole probably saw the success he was having at West Ham, and thinks he can just put that success in his pocket to put on the bench until critical situations. Don't think that will work out too well.

golden_blunder

Staff

Blatantly obvious to people with agendas maybe. It’s statements like that which piss me off. Did WH even submit a big mad for him? And if they did there’s no rule that says you have to go there just because you have a good loan.
the onus is on the manager to tell him he won’t get minutes and for his agent to find him something. Did that happen?

golden_blunder

Staff
I don't know why he isn't pushing for the move when he can play regularly at most clubs in the league and also earn decent money.
Depends what he’s been told by Ole and Co. remember the loan last season was to play himself back into form again. Ole said so.
so if ole is happy with him being part of the squad and JL is happy to wait for his chance then that’s it. Just because people have fantasies about him being sold doesn’t make it true. If he stays it’s because ole rates him as part of the squad

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Depends what he’s been told by Ole and Co. remember the loan last season was to play himself back into form again. Ole said so.
so if ole is happy with him being part of the squad and JL is happy to wait for his chance then that’s it. Just because people have fantasies about him being sold doesn’t make it true. If he stays it’s because ole rates him as part of the squad
But will he get chances? We have so many attacking players that even players like Rashford, Sancho will be on the bench.

When he played regularly, he was getting picked for England squad, not with few mins here and there, don't think he will be in England squad for world cup.

FerociousCorgis

would love to know what is going on behind the scenes. Easily could see 3 options ahead of him everywhere he could possibly go on the pitch depending on various formations. Makes no sense to keep both him and vdb and play neither of them when we desperately need a functioning DM in this squad.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
the onus is on the manager to tell him he won’t get minutes and for his agent to find him something. Did that happen?
I would love to be a fly on the wall in Solskjaer's office.
WTF is he actually telling these fringe players and what promises is he making to them about game time?
Not just Lingard, but what has been promised to Mata, Martial, Jones, Bailly, Lindelof and of course Donny..?
Because as far as I can tell, they're all expecting to be first teamers...:lol:

hobbers

WTF is he actually telling these fringe players and what promises is he making to them about game time?
Not just Lingard, but what has been promised to Mata, Martial, Jones, Bailly, Lindelof and of course Donny..?
Lindelof and Bailly fair enough they're 3rd and 4th choice CBs, that's a respectable squad role for a club that's in four competitions.

I'd love to know what he's said to Lingard, Martial, Jones, Mata and Donny though. Because he can't plan on playing them at all aside from Carabao cup games.

Esquire

I hope we don’t give him a contract to “protect his value”…

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
If only he could switch on that West Ham goalscoring ability for us this season, the squad upfront will be ridiculously quality & deep.

Ole will have to find Amad some minutes too... I just can't see it for Jesse.

EdinburghDevil

Even then, if it's a dead rubber cup or CL game he'd be taking valuable minutes away from the likes of Hannibal/Amad/Elanga/Shoretire...
This is exactly it for me. We should be trying to offload him and invest in the development of these promising, young players.

I'd happily take £10m for him.

RUCK4444

I feel pretty bad for him. As a regular first team player a few years ago, he was a lot of fun to watch, and deserves the minutes, somewhere. I don't see him keeping on a brave face as the season rolls on and he isn't a big part of it. He wants to play.
Nah I like Lingard but he’s basically turned West Ham down in favour of our bench.

That’s his decision, I don’t blame him, he’s a United fan and playing at his boyhood club who’ve just signed Ronaldo!

He had zero intention of going to West Ham and we can’t make him. So I wouldn’t feel bad for him.

Yakuza_devils

If I'm not wrong, Raiola was his agent. Lingard is still following Raiola's strategy of advising his clients to run down their contract and leave on a free transfer in order to get higher salary and sign on fees somewhere else.

Raiola is using the same strategy on Donnarumma and Pogba.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Big contrast between him and James. One understands he won't get much game time and it's time to move on to play football, even if it is leaving a big club with an exciting squad and for a probable drop in wages.

The other just wants to hang around and be associated with a big club.

stevoc

Not necessarily, there's no way we can know that. Everything points towards that not being the case.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Westham seems to be spending all those money for anyone but Lingard.
Let's see if it pays off to them, Lingard did very well, is a proven player at that level any new addition to league might struggle big time, including Vlasic, even though I have to admint I never seen him play, was it worth the risk for them? We could see how well they are around christmass when him still struggles, Antonio is injured and Behrama out of form, might go for him then

edgecutter

Hopefully there will be no contract extension as he doesn't deserve one. Even with that fa cup goal, Jesse has epitomised how average we have been for a long time by getting all that playing time before he was thankfully benched for horrendous output for a forward player.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Big contrast between him and James. One understands he won't get much game time and it's time to move on to play football, even if it is leaving a big club with an exciting squad and for a probable drop in wages.

The other just wants to hang around and be associated with a big club.
Imagine you are in company A which pays you the best in the market, then Imagine there is company B which would pay you significantly less. In comapny A, you can play with Ronaldo again, and still try for the impossible to get into the team. He's 29 at the end of the year, it's not like he has still big portion of his career ahead like James. I am also sure he would be ahead of him in the pecking order like Ole hinted - he undoubtedly is still twice the player James was, so it was clear why James wanted to go.

Also take into account that Leeds had money but WHU don't see Lingard albeit good player for them him, too perspective, Vlasic is 23 and will improve or likely his price won't drop that much.. also if Lingard stays until the end of contract company B can offer much better contract because they save a lot on the transfer fee.

People blindly dislike Jesse but what he seems to be doing now makes a lot of sense. BTW I still think he could be a decent back up to Bruno who needs rest, he's only the other player who could press very well from that position and play second striker pretty well, as well as drop deep and win some balls too. It's not like Ole will play him as Bruno doesn't like to be rested, but would make a lot of sense to use him there if he stays, in cup games...

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I don't blame Lingard for hanging around. Why would he leave?

He is going to be paid better at United than anywhere else he plays. However, he can probably make up for that (a bit) by joining his next club as a free agent and getting a juicy signing on fee. Why allow United to pocket a fee for him now when, in just over three months time, he can sign a pre-contract with someone else and get more money for himself?

Plus, in the meantime, he gets to stay at the club he supports and see the return of Cristiano Ronaldo up close.

Honestly, from a selfish perspective, there's not any good reason for Lingard to jump now. West Ham may not be the only option for him as a free agent. Clubs who don't want to meet United's valuation may declare their interest if they only need to worry about paying him a few million signing on fee and whatever k a week. If I was Jesse I'd wait it out too. u

The only people to blame for Lingard not being sold are the people who run the club. Same as with Bailly, Matic, Mata, Andreas, Jones, Rojo, Romero, the list goes on and on. The time to push for him to leave was two years ago. Now the club has lost all its leverage. Like it did with all those other players.

Rolaholic

So they instead paid 30m each for Vlasic from the Russian league + Zouma and want 100m for Rice...clowns :houllier:

Hope he goes elsewhere after he re-signs instead of them, got them European footy and they were still trying haggle for peanuts. Ungrateful and unserious lot

golden_blunder

Staff
But will he get chances? We have so many attacking players that even players like Rashford, Sancho will be on the bench.

When he played regularly, he was getting picked for England squad, not with few mins here and there, don't think he will be in England squad for world cup.
But again you’re assuming that a) WH made a bid and B) he wants to go there

golden_blunder

Staff
Yeah that would be interesting to hear! I dare say it’s not easy keeping a big squad with various egos happy!

bosskeano

no one should give a flying fuk about keeping the likes of Jones happy....that eggplant is lucky to still be getting paid after stealing money for the last 4 years. Bailly isn't far behind with his injury track record.

i like mata so i won't bust his nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.