Jesse Lingard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delano

If they're offering a loan deal of £6 million, whilst covering his wages... you've got to snap their hand off. Be mad not to.

FlapR

Makes sense really. Not worth the risk moving to a club that could be playing in the Championship next season.
I mean just have a release clause in your contract like alot of players do. He's only staying because he wants to go on a free in the summer and demand a higher wage.

mctrials23

Just get him sold. Wages off the book and he deserves to play. He will be gone in the summer and clearly isn't a player we need. Makes 0 sense not to just let him go for a token amount.

PieCrust

Seems a little weird for Lingard to turn it down. I don't think he'd get any better wage offers than from Newcastle, could probably insert a relegation clause, but I suppose he's holding out for some kind of signing bonus as a free agent. Maybe he thinks that £12M could go to him vice the club.

Nickelodeon

Doubt he’s going to bring us any money. Best case he goes on loan where someone else pays his wages.

But if I were to guess, he would end up staying here because his reputation is less likely to deteriorate sitting on our bench than playing for Newcastle. And better reputation means one of the more desperate club would end up paying him a small fortune as a sign on fee.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Why would he not take a loan move? He'll get to raise his appeal to potential suitors and keep fit in a World Cup year. I would have expected him to be desperate to play some football.

And it would make sense for Newcastle too, pay some cash for a quality player. Although I do agree with whoever said we should wave a loan fee and send him to a relegation rival just to spite them.

alexthelion

Source for these is confirmed to be Dean Henderson. It also remains to be seen if Lingard even wants to go to Newcastle, earlier in the window the message from his camp was that he had no interest in a loan deal and was determined to stick at United until he gets his free agent move in the summer. I would quite enjoy watching the reaction to him rolling up to Newcastle in his West Ham replica kit though.
What's the source?

talking robot

If he and Martial leave on loan in January I wonder if that opens a path to us buying Zakaria or someone of similar (cheap) ilk?

SirScholes

Personally hope we block any move to Newcastle
That club deserves championship football and put back their football manager cheat code style operation

talking robot

Heard we’re not keen on this lad because he hasn’t really hit his previous heights since he’s come back from his injury. He’s more of a wait and see I think
Maybe not Zakaria but any decent DM in the same price range. The club have been briefing that they don't want to buy because the squad is too bloated. If we are rid of 2 players, that argument makes even less sense than it already does.

crossy1686

career ending
Maybe not Zakaria but any decent DM in the same price range. The club have been briefing that they don't want to buy because the squad is too bloated. If we are rid of 2 players, that argument makes even less sense than it already does.
I agree but it's harder to get someone in during the last week of the window because we're refusing to sell or loan players out.

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
It is. Luke Edwards is the journo. Summary Jesse turned down the permanent deal for £12m. We turned the loan deal for £6m - reason need a big squad to deal with covid. Conclusion: we are idiots.
You realise the permanent deal was accepted yes? What more do you expect the club to do?

L1nk

If he expects to join a big club with a chance of winning trophies every season this summer then he's massively deluded and vastly overrates his own abilities. Could do worse than getting a massive pay day from Newcastle's new owners

Zlatattack

It's understandable Jesse Lingard will want to be a free agent. He wants to see what options he has in the summer, and defintely doesn't want to risk spending next season in the Championship. Don't blame him one bit. The time to flog him was when West Ham wanted him, he seemed happy there too.

I think we should accept a loan fee and let him go out on loan, knowing full well he's not coming back to us. We have Elanga, Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho who can play outwide, we have Pogba, Bruno and Donny who can play as a 10. We have Diallo and Mejri back soon from AFCON. There is no shortage of players for the rest of the season. We also have Mata as a mascot.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
They're willing to pay $6m for a loan, plus pay his wages? I mean, ffs. It's half-a-season! That's $6m that can be reinvested in Zakaria almost immediately.
I don't think we are convinced by Zakaria but I note what you're saying. Better to get a player in who might go back to pre-injury peak than nothing at all for net 0 spent.

youngrell

Perhaps the club are waiting to see what happens with Martial before committing to the loan. Can’t imagine any other reason why we’d reject it.

IMO they should just accept regardless. He’s about 3rd or 4th back up and if it came to it, we have the kids.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Hope we do feck all to help Newcastle. Either pay up or prepare for championship.

Jonesno.8

Getting anything in has to be the priority, if he is not going get minutes and at this stage the emergence of Elanga kind of rubber stamps that then take the loan money and wages off our books and let him have his free in the summer. Like him or loathe him, he's not one of the bad eggs in the team, always seemed an honest lad effort wise, loves the club and has a few important goals down the years. Best of luck to him.

dinostar77

He doesnt want to go to Newcastle and they are offering to double his wages and give us a £10mil fee.

Shame as it would be a good deal for all parties.

Stadjer

He doesnt want to go to Newcastle and they are offering to double his wages and give us a £10mil fee.

Shame as it would be a good deal for all parties.
Lingard would likely want a good deal for him though. If he waits till he is out of a contract than he could likely ask for even higher wages since his new club would save on that 10mil fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.