Jesse Lingard

Status
Not open for further replies.

L1nk

The conundrum of United, never sell players, but never play them either. Absolutely bizarre club management from top to bottom, I understand maybe if it's not the right deal for us, or if it was one of our key players, but not only does he never play, his contracts up in a few months and he'll be gone on a free. It just makes absolutely no sense.

Gordon Godot

Before anyone posts about Ralf or other players, the decision making around Lignard typifies the crazy decision making at this club. Should 100% have been sold in the summer, we knew he was a streakly player between v good and v poor, not goign to change. DOnt know if it was Ole or board or in fact must have been both, but stupid none the less. Yet again shows why we need a DoF and a clear football decision making structure

SoCross

Newcastle can come in with a buy offer, we absolutely don’t need to loan him out.

Gordon Godot

Newcastle can come in with a buy offer, we absolutely don’t need to loan him out.
So ignore the toxic dressign room and free loaders who sit round and moan because they dont play, lets just keep him and all the others. FOr petty's sake who gives a sh*t if he helps Newcastle, get this joker out of the club and his wages off our books. Unbelievable

BuzzKillington

Yet another piece of amazing work by the United board / management.
Why not sell him last summer, when we could easily have got 20-25 min pounds for him, after his terrific loan with West Ham. In stead we kept him, and he has barely played for us. 273 minutes in total this season. Put together it's around 3 matches..
Now losing him on a free transfer. Stupidity again..
West Ham wanted him for sub £10m if I remember correctly, not £20m+. Whilst even the £10m seems like a good deal on the surface, we have to break this conception that we’ll take whatever anybody offers for our players. Latest example being Juve saying they’ll “take” Martial off our hands on loan with no obligation to buy if we cover the bulk of his £150k p/w wages whilst he’s there.

We can’t simultaneously call United a joke for not being able to shift players for reasonable fees whilst criticising them for setting some boundaries and working towards that. So what if we have to take a hit on Lingard, a free product of our academy, to try and establish a new M.O. Let him rot in the reserves, and call him up if we need him, let the geordies get fecking relegated and let him go for free in the summer. Lad probably deserves the payday after the dogs abuse he’s had from our “fans” anyway.

It’s also worth remembering that we won’t suddenly start playing better football just because Jesse Lingard isn’t at the club any longer, especially when we haven’t been playing him.

dinostar77

Fergie used to pet players leave slightly cheaper than their value so they could get a better deal for themselves at their new club. A good servant for the club was often used by him.

Yes we should have sold him during his hotstreak at West Ham.

Be interesting to see where the reality check leaves him club wise for next season. Definitely not top 6 club material.

Manny

Grammar Police
He'd help Newcastle survive though.

Might give us a year more before they overtake us if they get relegated
We should really be sending him to one of Newcastles relegation rivals and waive any loan fee.

Kaos

Imagine the richest club in the world trying to lowball us. Either they give us a decent offer or they can take their chances fighting for his contract amongst others this summer.

L1nk

West Ham wanted him for sub £10m if I remember correctly, not £20m+. Whilst even the £10m seems like a good deal on the surface, we have to break this conception that we’ll take whatever anybody offers for our players. Latest example being Juve saying they’ll “take” Martial off our hands on loan with no obligation to buy if we cover the bulk of his £150k p/w wages whilst he’s there.

We can’t simultaneously call United a joke for not being able to shift players for reasonable fees whilst criticising them for setting some boundaries and working towards that. So what if we have to take a hit on Lingard, a free product of our academy, to try and establish a new M.O. Let him rot in the reserves, and call him up if we need him, let the geordies get fecking relegated and let him go for free in the summer. Lad probably deserves the payday after the dogs abuse he’s had from our “fans” anyway.

It’s also worth remembering that we won’t suddenly start playing better football just because Jesse Lingard isn’t at the club any longer, especially when we haven’t been playing him.
Right but, surely you can only ask for more when you are holding all the cards? If he had like 3 years left on his contract of course we are in a position to say no and we would be in our right mind to. But he had a year left and looked likely to go on a free, which he now is going to unless we do something in Jan, we should have bitten their hand off. Also no, he doesn't "deserve" anything, whilst I admit some of the fans have gone overboard on him that doesn't change the fact he's an average player who's vast majority of matches for us was him playing like absolute garbage

hungrywing

Imagine the richest club in the world trying to lowball us. Either they give us a decent offer or they can take their chances fighting for his contract amongst others this summer.
It'll continue for a while. Posted about it before, but long story short, amongst football executives, for the foreseeable future, it will be a sign of weakness not to try and take advantage of us. It's something Woodward brought on the organization. They'll continue to test Arnold.

i.e. for them it's not solely about Lingard for 3.5m. If they take that, then clubs X, Y, Z will say, 'You feckwits caved to the likes of Woodward/Arnold, we're going to tack on X'% to every player you want to buy.'

SoCross

So ignore the toxic dressign room and free loaders who sit round and moan because they dont play, lets just keep him and all the others. FOr petty's sake who gives a sh*t if he helps Newcastle, get this joker out of the club and his wages off our books. Unbelievable
No, if they are really serious & want him, they should come in with an offer to buy him and take him properly off our books. Nothing to do with him helping Newcastle. The time to move him on was last summer, might has well try to get a fee for him in Jan than losing him for free in the next window.

HackeyC

If we are worried about making Newcastle competitive then there are even bigger problems than we realise. Keeping Lingard until summer will probably cost £3-4m for 120 minutes of football. Ludicrous decision.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
People on here terrified of letting Lingard go to Newcastle, what the feck :houllier: :lol:
Personally I just don't think we should help Newcastle in any way possible. What if loaning them Lingard helps them stay up? They'll be another year closer to eventually being another infinite money plastic club with potential to knock us out of the top 4.

Let them get relegated and at least they'd have to deal with a Championship scrap next season with lots of unhappy players. It will likely only delay but it's better than nothing.

Idxomer

Personally I just don't think we should help Newcastle in any way possible. What if loaning them Lingard helps them stay up? They'll be another year closer to eventually being another infinite money plastic club with potential to knock us out of the top 4.

Let them get relegated and at least they'd have to deal with a Championship scrap next season with lots of unhappy players. It will likely only delay but it's better than nothing.
They are close to signing a starting defender from Sevilla, a team challenging for La Liga this season. I think they're going to get the players who will keep them up anyway.

Corridor of Uncertainty

On the flip side, what if he went to Newcastle and helped them take points off our top 4 rivals? They'll be staying up regardless.

crossy1686

career ending
What good is keeping someone who doesn't want to be here and can and will leave for free at the end of January? Just send him on loan for the £2m and let him walk at the end of the season, at least you got £2m...

Gandalf

What good is keeping someone who doesn't want to be here and can and will leave for free at the end of January? Just send him on loan for the £2m and let him walk at the end of the season, at least you got £2m...
For the simple reason that we want more than 2M, they can afford more than 2M and there is plenty of time before the window closes. It is like some people have never heard of negotiating.

Gordon Godot

We'll see!
Frankly I dont care what happens to Newcastle. I want Utd to trim their bloated squad and get wasters out of here. Send a message. We need to be more ruthless. We wonder why the dressign room is toxic, and why jokers and wasters are not cleared out. Any fee is nice, but also his wages go.

crossy1686

career ending
For the simple reason that we want more than 2M, they can afford more than 2M and there is plenty of time before the window closes. It is like some people have never heard of negotiating.
For what? £3.5m instead? Big time Charlies. Just get him gone and don't risk having him stinking the place out for another 6 months.

Red Royal

For what? £3.5m instead? Big time Charlies. Just get him gone and don't risk having him stinking the place out for another 6 months.
Yeah, it is time to let him go, for whatever, save his salary and a spotin the squad for Hanibal or other deserving kid (look at Elanga)

Gandalf

So as others have said, we complain all the time that we get our pants pulled down in transfer negotiations but when we try not to be doormats we get stupid takes like this. Pretty sure Newcastle will still give us 2M on deadline day if the offers don't improve so why exactly do you want us to grab our ankles and let them shaft us now?

Yeah, it is time to let him go, for whatever, save his salary and a spot in the squad for Hanibal or other deserving kid (look at Elanga)
Hannibal is an U23 player, no need to keep a spot in the squad as he can be selected anyway.

crossy1686

career ending
So as others have said, we complain all the time that we get our pants pulled down in transfer negotiations but when we try not to be doormats we get stupid takes like this. Pretty sure Newcastle will still give us 2M on deadline day if the offers don't improve so why exactly do you want us to grab our ankles and let them shaft us now?
I don't think I've ever complained about selling a player at any cost. I think we need to be careful what we pay but I couldn't give a shit what someone goes for and unless you work on the accounts at United or you care more about United the business than United the football team you shouldn't either.

We've got leaks coming out of everywhere, players moaning about not playing, specifically naming Lingard as not getting a chance. If that's what someone's saying publicly, how bad do you think it is behind the scenes? Moaning, gossiping, general toxic behaviour. Meanwhile the rest of the lads have to work in that environment because we want to squeeze another £1.5m out of Newcastle?

I don't have to spell it out but if we shift this shite out today, and the mood improves and we start winning games, you do realise we will rake in more than £1.5m for finishing higher up the league table and getting CL football also? So let's stop fecking around and being shortsighted about what we really stand to lose if we keep these wasters at the club.

Edit: I thought we could have got more for Beckham, that was the last time I moaned about selling a player.

Last edited:

Gandalf

We've got leaks coming out of everywhere, players moaning about not playing, specifically naming Lingard as not getting a chance.
Source for these is confirmed to be Dean Henderson. It also remains to be seen if Lingard even wants to go to Newcastle, earlier in the window the message from his camp was that he had no interest in a loan deal and was determined to stick at United until he gets his free agent move in the summer. I would quite enjoy watching the reaction to him rolling up to Newcastle in his West Ham replica kit though.

crossy1686

career ending
Source for these is confirmed to be Dean Henderson. It also remains to be seen if Lingard even wants to go to Newcastle, earlier in the window the message from his camp was that he had no interest in a loan deal and was determined to stick at United until he gets his free agent move in the summer. I would quite enjoy watching the reaction to him rolling up to Newcastle in his West Ham replica kit though.
Was it Deano in the end? That's him finished at United then.

I think Newcastle would make it worth his while but you're right, I'd love to see him try and pull that West Ham shit to their fans.

DutchCruijff

Here's the problem though.We tried this trick. In the summer with West Ham, we overpriced Lingard and never came back for him.

And we've been stuck with him.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
People on here terrified of letting Lingard go to Newcastle, what the feck :houllier: :lol:
People want to see Newcastle relegated. I’m no fan of Lingard but he could go there and score 5-10 goals which could be the difference in keeping them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.