Jesse Lingard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corridor of Uncertainty

Not sure that they will.
If they have to spend crasy money, they will rather spend it on a long term contract.

The bonus would make sense if he was agreeing to a long term deal at N’castle. But he is not, and United trying to sell a 6 month loan for such conditions is delusional.
God loved a trier.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Newcastle is the richest club in the world and they can certainly afford the total fee for staying up.

They're wisely also very vary of being put into a situation where they pay "manchester united" prices for everything.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I am, I was talking about Solskjaer/Lingard last summer in the post you replied to mate.

Plus Bailly's contract would have been up last summer if he hadn't renewed, I thought that's what you were talking about as he couldn't have left on a free before last summer.
My point was we have done a lot of things that make zero sense when it comes to fringe players. So something making zero sense is no justification for saying we wouldn't do it.

Paddymcc

Do you think if Lingard was genuinely interested in his future and what club he could sign for then he wouldnt have went to Dubai on a jolly with Rashford?

He's going to run the contract down and pocket the cash signing for someone else.

roseguy64

Do you think if Lingard was genuinely interested in his future and what club he could sign for then he wouldnt have went to Dubai on a jolly with Rashford?

He's going to run the contract down and pocket the cash signing for someone else.
What does being in Dubai have to do with anything?

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
If you were at a pivotal point in your career, wanted to speak to prospective employers and only had a few days to do so, would you piss off on a jolly too?
You have no idea about his situation, so speaking about it with such certainty is foolish. You don't know if he needs to be anywhere to do business. You don't know if his agent is discussing with other teams on his behalf and going to relay the info to him. You don't know anything.

Member 101269

You have no idea about his situation, so speaking about it with such certainty is foolish. You don't know if he needs to be anywhere to do business. You don't know if his agent is discussing with other teams on his behalf and going to relay the info to him. You don't know anything.
What were told is his side are dissing united and rashford is with him. Beans

Corridor of Uncertainty

You're right. All we know is he's leaking shit to the media about how upset and furious he is :rolleyes:

Paddymcc

We do have an idea on his situation. He's coming to the end of his contract, he's certainly not playing at Manchester United and has the opportunity to move to at least one club for the rest of the season.

At this point in the season, the only transfer window open mid season, he's in Dubai.

He's definitely not a bad player as evidenced by his excellent spell at West Ham but it's pretty obvious he's running his contract down. His next contract will most likely be his last big deal.

Don't forget the implications of testing positive for covid and having to isolate in case a deal/medical had to be done close to the windows end.

Schnappo

If only Lingard employed an agent and owned a mobile phone.

hungrywing

How do we know that?
When a reporter asked if he had anything to say on the deluge of stories coming out of what is purportedly his camp, Lingard replied with, "Jesse Lingard has no comment."

Horsechoker doesn't see your point
"See? The internet fans are with Jesse Lingard; they're taking up Jesse Lingard's cause. Jesse Lingard always knew they would side with Jesse Lingard."

hungrywing

"Jesse Lingard would also like to take this opportunity to announce the launching of Jesse Lingard's new YouTube channel, entitled-"

Reporter: Entitled what?

"That's the title. That's Jesse Lingard's YouTube channel's title."

georgipep

That's probably because they've seen how much we've been willing to pay for Fred, Maguire, Wan-Bissaka its a long list.

Its well known within football that we overpay on transfers and salaries. Clubs and agents see us coming. Dean Henderson is on more money than Bruno Fernandes. The only thing Bruno's agent did wrong was asking for only double his Sporting wages when he signed. Should've asked for triple.

Until we have people regarded well within football leading our negotiating everyone will try it on with us.

If Fergie was still running things, being clear about 'value in the market' and looking for unearthed gems like Ronaldo, Park, Evra and Vidic, do you think we'd be getting quoted these daft prices?

People know we can be had.
Unearthed gems like Ronaldo and Evra?

I've seen it all....

stevoc

My point was we have done a lot of things that make zero sense when it comes to fringe players. So something making zero sense is no justification for saying we wouldn't do it.
Ok fair enough we have done a lot of silly things. But I'd be willing to bet everything I own that Solskjaer didn't block Lingard leaving and beg him to stay by promising him loads of games. Ole quite obviously didn't see Lingard as part of his plans for 18 months, that wouldn't suddenly change especially when after signing Ronaldo and Sancho he arguably had 2-3 better players than him in every position Lingard can play.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ok fair enough we have done a lot of silly things. But I'd be willing to bet everything I own that Solskjaer didn't block Lingard leaving and beg him to stay by promising him loads of games. Ole quite obviously didn't see Lingard as part of his plans for 18 months, that wouldn't suddenly change especially when after signing Ronaldo and Sancho he arguably had 2-3 better players than him in every position Lingard can play.
According to Paul Hirst of the Times, he did, from the article dated September 21, 2021.

Paul Hirst:
"After weeks of trying, he would attempt one more time to persuade Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to let him leave on loan before the transfer window closed".

"Lingard’s representatives had held similar discussions with club officials earlier in the window, but even though their client had barely played, they were always met with the same response: Solskjaer wanted to keep the player for the rest of the season".

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...-or-break-manchester-uniteds-season-jv0p9pn6s

Last edited:

Red00012

According to Paul Hirst of the Times he did from the article dated September 21, 2021.

Paul Hirst:
"After weeks of trying, he would attempt one more time to persuade Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to let him leave on loan before the transfer window closed".

"Lingard’s representatives had held similar discussions with club officials earlier in the window, but even though their client had barely played, they were always met with the same response: Solskjaer wanted to keep the player for the rest of the season".

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...-or-break-manchester-uniteds-season-jv0p9pn6s
A bit like the reason we have 4 goalkeepers .. we need enough players for 2 games amongst ourselves at training

stevoc

According to Paul Hirst of the Times, he did, from the article dated September 21, 2021.

Paul Hirst:

That article is talking about January 2021 before he went on loan to West Ham mate.

Solskjaer wanted to keep the player for the rest of the season.
I'd believe circa January 2021 Solskjaer maybe did want to keep Lingard for the rest of last season given Martial and Rashford's injury problems. But the facts are up until he left on loan to West Ham he only made 2 starts and had one sub appearance, all in cup games. Does that seem like a guy who was a big part of Solskaer's plans?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
That article is talking about January 2021 before he went on loan to West Ham mate.

I'd believe circa January 2021 Solskjaer maybe did want to keep Lingard for the rest of last season given Martial and Rashford's injury problems. But the facts are up until he left on loan to West Ham he only made 2 starts and had one sub appearance, all in cup games. Does that seem like a guy who was a big part of Solskaer's plans?
It's well documented that Solskjaer wanted to have a big squad for the current season, due to Covid. And what the Times article is saying, is that it was strange of Solskjaer to go into the new season with a bloated squad (not verbatim), and Hirst even cited other Managers who won titles with smaller squads.

Also it was reported by the Athletic during the summer, that United's football department wanted to sell Lingard but Solskjaer wanted to keep him.

stevoc

It's well documented that Solskjaer wanted to have a big squad for the current season, due to Covid. And what the Times article is saying, is that it was strange of Solskjaer to go into the new season with a bloated squad (not verbatim), and Hirst even cited other Managers who won titles with smaller squads.
He probably did but he definitely didn't need Lingard for that.

-------------------------------------------Bruno/Pogba/DVB

Greenwood/Sancho/Diallo-----------------------------Rashford/Martial/Elanga

---------------------------------------------Ronaldo/Cavani

Also it was reported by the Athletic during the summer, that United's football department wanted to sell Lingard but Solskjaer wanted to keep him.
I don't buy it personally, after the club spending big on Varane and Sancho he needed the money from Lingard's sale to move for the new RB and/or DM he wanted which was also widely reported over the summer including by the Athletic.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He probably did but he definitely didn't need Lingard for that.

-------------------------------------------Bruno/Pogba/DVB

Greenwood/Sancho/Diallo-----------------------------Rashford/Martial/Elanga

---------------------------------------------Ronaldo/Cavani

I don't buy it personally, after the club spending big on Varane and Sancho he needed the money from Lingard's sale to move for the new RB and/or DM he wanted which was also widely reported over the summer including by the Athletic.

If these reports are true (I could post more), then it looks like Solskjaer gave assurances of game time to a number of players, that never came to fruition. But imo, things started going wrong for him pretty early in the season, and when things started going wrong, he stuck to picking the same players who were letting him down without much rotation.

Diallo was pencilled in for a loan until he got injured. So he was never a option, Solskjaer considered.

Last edited:

HailtotheKing

God loved a trier.
Yeah it’s bonkers unless you’re Newcastle. If they want to stay up it’s worth it because it’s peanuts to them. Would it set a precedent to them getting fleeced? Maybe but probably not because it’s a unique situation. If they beat relegation they’ll never face it again so won’t have to worry again. So o get our strategy. Question is will they just go and find someone else in Europe who can do a job for them without the crazy money on a loan deal? Quite possibly. So we’re playing a dangerous game. But we can also give them a day or so and then accept a nice loan fee without the bonus. Or maybe we just don’t give a flying whether Jesse leaves and believe he’s worth paying to sit on the bench snd maybe help us score a goal or two.

All will be revealed come Monday.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Unearthed gems like Ronaldo and Evra?

I've seen it all....
You are clearly better informed than me.

I had no idea who Ronaldo or Evra were before they signed for us.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

If these reports are true (I could post more), then it looks like Solskjaer gave assurances of game time to a number of players, that never came to fruition. But imo, things started going wrong for him pretty early in the season, and when things started going wrong, he stuck to picking the same players who were letting him down without much rotation.

Diallo was pencilled in for a loan until he got injured. So he was never a option, Solskjaer considered.
You’re spot on. It was very well documented at the time. Dunno why done think otherwise. Suppose it doesn’t fit whatever narrative they’ve chosen to believe.

I just wish they would find a compromise because i find the situation with some of the fans toxic. Better off elsewhere

Gordon Godot

You’re spot on. It was very well documented at the time. Dunno why done think otherwise. Suppose it doesn’t fit whatever narrative they’ve chosen to believe.

I just wish they would find a compromise because i find the situation with some of the fans toxic. Better off elsewhere
Yep, the great Ole rebuild exposed. He was too much the nice guy to make the hard decisions. Another reason you need an experienced DoF to manage the overall recruitment side, but also you appoint qualified managers. Read Lockhurt's recent piece on the mess towards the end of Ole' reign, and the dithering of the board. All the stupid posts on here about Ole leaving a great legacy sadly exposed, he left an even more toxic mess than he inherited, and a more bloated and overpaid squad.

Donut

Jesse can do one. He didn’t want to move because he’d have to take a salary cut, so he decided to wait and leave on a free. That’s fair enough, we’re the stupid ones who gave him the contract. But don’t bitch now that Newcastle have come in and want to give you a higher contract, you’ve made your bed.

Abraxas

Struggle to worry much about Lingard. He's a non entity really, not good enough to make much of a difference here and we've known he fully intends to leave on a free for a while. The only way this would change is if he's good enough to earn a spot, which he isn't.

Probably should have loaned him out to mitigate the costs before then but I guess it's all part of some grand point with respect to selling and loaning players. Whether that's a good thing I don't know, maybe it will realise some benefit in the long term, but probably not.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Yep, the great Ole rebuild exposed. He was too much the nice guy to make the hard decisions. Another reason you need an experienced DoF to manage the overall recruitment side, but also you appoint qualified managers. Read Lockhurt's recent piece on the mess towards the end of Ole' reign, and the dithering of the board. All the stupid posts on here about Ole leaving a great legacy sadly exposed, he left an even more toxic mess than he inherited, and a more bloated and overpaid squad.
the trouble is that those who appointed Ole and supported him throughout his 415m madness are still here.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Simon Stone confirmed the Adama fee is 35m EUR if its agreed to be permanent.
Brighton snubbed 10m for Burne to Newcastle and they might come back with a higher bid.

I'm sorry but if we live in the world where the above is true, we should charge more than a 12m survival fee. feck Newcastle and feck Jesse if they think it's too much. Madness.

sp_107

Jesse / Pogba / Baily are kind of dressing room cheer leaders who has some kind of influence on the team (Martial because of Pogba and Rashford because of Jesse are silent members of this)

UTD are not in commanding position now because of our last 9 years success rate hence these guys are making situations out of Donny / Jesse

They have a point and I feel sorry for players not getting chances but we had the same situation under Fergie with some players but at that time players stayed quite as we were on top and everyone wanted to be with us.

Hope our management see the back of these players if they are not in the long term plans and build a hungry team

georgipep

You are clearly better informed than me.

I had no idea who Ronaldo or Evra were before they signed for us.
Ronaldo was going to be signed by Barcelona, Real Madrid or Arsenal if we didn't act so quickly.

Evra was part of Monaco team that reached CL final.

While you may be excused not knowing who Ronaldo was while at Sporting (although, people in football definitely knew), then I don't know what to tell you about Evra...

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Ronaldo was going to be signed by Barcelona, Real Madrid or Arsenal if we didn't act so quickly.

Evra was part of Monaco team that reached CL final.

While you may be excused not knowing who Ronaldo was while at Sporting (although, people in football definitely knew), then I don't know what to tell you about Evra...
Fabio played in a Champions League final for us. Do you think fans all over Europe took notice? If Evra playing for Monaco in a Champions League run was enough for you to take notice, fair enough.

Evra and Vidic were complete unknowns to me when they signed. Had no idea who they were and was totally underwhelmed. Like I said, you're clearly better informed.

Newstyle

100% the 50m valuation is a direct dig at Newcastle and I’m, at least, having a good laugh about it.

In the end though, it would harm the club in more ways than not if he stayed.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Agreed mate, I hope he gets his loan move and then joins the club of his choice in the summer.

And tbh with you, the toxicity among the fans is disgraceful at times, and I tend to stay out of these threads for that reason.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
He's had chances in the first team, he gave away stupid goal in one and was atrocious in another whilst being decent in the other two, had chances, didn't take them.

Status
Not open for further replies.