Jim Ratcliffe apparently completes first step in gradual takeover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Bigger news than the Club Sale thread I think!

A new era all but confirmed!

just a reminder or his pledge that excited some fans:
“We would see our role as the long-term custodians of Manchester United on behalf of the fans and the wider community.

We are ambitious and highly competitive and would want to invest in Manchester United to make them the number one club in the world once again.
We also recognise that football governance in this country is at a crossroads. We would want to help lead this next chapter, deepening the culture of English football by making the club a beacon for a modern, progressive, fan-centred approach to ownership.

We want a Manchester United anchored in its proud history and roots in the North-West of England, putting the Manchester back into Manchester United and clearly focusing on winning the Champions League.”

Last edited:

Atheist

Just hope it’s not another leveraged buyout for that stake.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
feck off. Not ashamed to say I wanted the clean break with money pumped into the club. This just looks like another form of club austerity.

FujiVice

Well, this saga is finally over then. Let's hope there is at least more structure and quicker decision making within the club.

C'est Moi Cantona

I don't care what anyone says, but he is not giving them £1.5 billion to stuff in their piggy bank, and is not saying it is a step to a full takeover without having is legally bound somehow.

cyberman

We need details about the bid to see if a takeover is included. If it doesn’t include the option then all we have is Jim saying they’ll go back in again and the Glazers can simply turn it down
Be weary of PR now

Redstain

Notice the language viewed as, I think a statement from INEOS would be more definitive as it would potentially clarify their intent on full ownership. The Glazers have done such a bad job at running the club that it's almost impossible for any new owner not to succeed from their position but there must be some very strong contractual obligations to ensure full ownership is not a view but a guarantee.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
We need details about the bid to see if a takeover is included. If it doesn’t include the option then all we have is Jim saying they’ll go back in again and the Glazers can simply turn it down
Be weary of PR now
yep.

A lot of people bringing preconceived notions to these tweets. It’s just apparent we are in the end game and will now hopefully have a new ownership structure. Could be really exciting times!

Redstain

Be weary of PR now
This is substantially the worst scenario because the 1B could be used to invest in the stadium infrastructure and it prolongs the Glazers stay.

Zoo

Just want an end to this year long NDA filled radio silence. Disgusting way to treat the fans. If it is to be Jim hopefully he’ll make a difference.

cyberman

yep.

A lot of people bringing preconceived notions to these tweets. It’s just apparent we are in the end game and will now hopefully have a new ownership structure. Could be really exciting times!
Could be. I’m a lot more open to Jim now after seeing how Chelsea new owners pissed money up the wall.
As long as we can develop some kind of structure within the club then I’ll give Jim the benefit of the doubt. I dont really have a reason not to

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
‘First step’ :lol:

‘Gradual takeover’ :lol:

It’s investment, nothing more.

The accurate headline is, ‘Jim Ratcliffe bails Glazers out and provides them lifeline to remain at Utd’.

Fridge chutney

Looks like a path towards new ownership without the stain of sportswashing. If true, this is good news.

gormless

Glazers remain in charge. No mention of investment into the club. No mention of who is making the decisions - is SJR making the decisions now? Probably not. So probably the same poor decisions to be continued.
He’s in his 70s. Could end up with another nepo baby situation. Glazers get their cake and eat it. SJR is no angel himself (though obviously not as bad as Qatar). There was never going to be a satisfying conclusion this once it became apparent it was sportswashing or SJR in bed with the Glazers but this feels deeply unsatisfying

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Glazers remain in charge. No mention of investment into the club. No mention of who is making the decisions - is Sir James Arthur Ratcliffe FIChemE making the decisions now? Probably not. So probably the same poor decisions to be continued.
He’s in his 70s. Could end up with another nepo baby situation. Glazers get their cake and eat it. Sir James Arthur Ratcliffe FIChemE is no angel himself (though obviously not as bad as Qatar). There was never going to be a satisfying conclusion this once it became apparent it was sportswashing or Sir James Arthur Ratcliffe FIChemE in bed with the Glazers but this feels deeply unsatisfying
You have jumped the gun on many assumptions. I imagine when it’s announced there will be plenty of info to make fans happy.

Roboc7

I think it’s a staged takeover to probably benefit both parties, we consistently heard the Qatari’s weren’t getting much of a response from Raine which suggests there was some sort of issue with viability of their bid. They were strung along to put pressure on INEOS bid.

We should start to hear more details over next few days but anything that gets rid of the Glazers is a start. They’ll be changes as well, Glazers unlikely to remain in full control as would be stupid of INEOS to commit so much no du and allow same idiots to make all the decisions.

philippexyz

Well, at least we'll get Jean-Clair Todibo and Khephren Thuram from Nice for a discount fee, if they are willing to move to Man United.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Given how poorly the Glazers have mismanaged the club over the past decade, it’s almost impossible to imagine that someone as accomplished in business as Ratcliffe, would hitch this kind of money to the club without eyeing a sans Glazer endgame.

But who the hell knows. That Partridge gif very much sums it up for me. When you boil it down, it’s still just a promise of yet another day with incompetent owners at the helm.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Excellent. Manchester United back in Manchester.
Literally saying the right things isn’t he. If he can indeed focus on putting the soul back into the club and putting “Manchester in Manchester United” we might do okay.

sceptical but …. Happy enough at the moment.

TsuWave

"contract all fecked up, I guess that means you all fecked up - signed to one guy, that's signed to another guy, that's signed to three other guys - now that's bad luck"

can only hope for the best - but United needs a ton of investment from stadium to academy, to overall infrastructure, the debt etc. Just don't see it happening - but alas, not much has changed I guess

joedirt87

Who reported mid-October? Looks like they were right.
Custis was one, don't remember if he picked a winner when he predicted mid October.

Will we be changing the chant from Glazers out to Ratliffe out in a couple seasons (if they are even gone). Can't wait to see what the takeover timeline is.

Status
Not open for further replies.