João Palhinha | signs for Bayern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some things these players do make no sense at all to me. After his failed deadline day move to Bayern last summer, why did he then go and sign a new contract with Fulham when he hoped to leave as soon as he could? This is the exact same thing that happened with Caicedo, whose moves to Arsenal and Chelsea collapsed last January, only for him to sign a new contract in February but hand in a transfer request and ultimately move in the same summer.

Ordinarily, you would think that these new contracts are agreed upon with an understanding of a move, perhaps with a fair release clause added to incentivise signing. But clearly, this doesn’t appear to be the case here, Fulham are reportedly asking even more than last summer, and Brighton only sold Caicedo for a ridiculous fee which the player is lucky anyone agreed to pay, otherwise he’d still be there.

Stop signing these extensions!

Some things these players do make no sense at all to me. After his failed deadline day move to Bayern last summer, why did he then go and sign a new contract with Fulham when he hoped to leave as soon as he could? This is the exact same thing that happened with Caicedo, whose moves to Arsenal and Chelsea collapsed last January, only for him to sign a new contract in February but hand in a transfer request and ultimately move in the same summer.

Ordinarily, you would think that these new contracts are agreed upon with an understanding of a move, perhaps with a fair release clause added to incentivise signing. But clearly, this doesn’t appear to be the case here, Fulham are reportedly asking even more than last summer, and Brighton only sold Caicedo for a ridiculous fee which the player is lucky anyone agreed to pay, otherwise he’d still be there.

Exactly, it's sheer stupidity on their part. PL clubs are all largely loaded and have no need to sell their best players, so if these players want their big move it's in their best interest to let their contracts run down.

The only concern I have about him is his age, he will be 29 this summer. Apart from that, he's perfect in every way.

I'd like to think we're not stupid enough to pay 60m for a defensive midfielder pushing 30 yet again but who knows. He's worth 45m at most.

That is the part I simply don't understand. He must have horrible advisors. Mate, you were already taking pictures in Bayern's kit last summer and it seems you still want to go there. Why TF would you sign an extension without a release clause? Make it make sense.

Fulham asking for 60m... Please Bayern, just step away.

Idiot pulled a Wilfred Zaha :lol:

He'd be perfect next to Mainoo.

If your able to get him for 40-50m it's a no brainer. Fulham won't get 60m.

That is the part I simply don't understand. He must have horrible advisors. Mate, you were already taking pictures in Bayern's kit last summer and it seems you still want to go there. Why TF would you sign an extension without a release clause? Make it make sense.

Fulham asking for 60m... Please Bayern, just step away.

Would Bayern bought him if he got some serious injurie? Of course no.
I already wrote somewhere, it is easy to beat roses with other man d.. K.

I guess it wasn't like a proper extension but more like a wage increase. His original contract was ongoing till 2027 and he only signed a 1 year extension last season. Since he couldn't get his move and also a probable wage increase, he was rewarded by Fulham with a pay hike so he doesn't crib too much. Think Lewandowski who had a year remaining with Dortmund and was destined to leave for Bayern. He was given another contract with a wage increase for just his final year.

And there is also a likely understanding Palhinha would've had with Fulham to allow him to leave when the next Bayern offer comes in. The fact that Bayern had a 50 million offer accepted last year and are only bidding 30 million this year is a ridiculous lowball which shouldn't be accepted. Ultimately, he will get his move.

Would be a fantastic addition but a bit short-term. Questions about his mobility though for me but one of the best defensive midfielders in the league.

He'd be perfect next to Mainoo.

If your able to get him for 40-50m it's a no brainer. Fulham won't get 60m.
Excellent defender, but don't think we should be looking at him. We need to be judging midfielders first on their ability to pass and to carry the ball.

Could a trio of him, mainoo and neves work?
Or would it be too negative?

Could a trio of him, mainoo and neves work?
Or would it be too negative?

I don't think it would work, but swap either Mainoo or Neves for Fernandes, and that's the closest we've been to having a title-winning midfield since 2013. One of the best midfield trios in Europe as well.

I don't think it would work, but swap either Mainoo or Neves for Fernandes, and that's the closest we've been to having a title-winning midfield since 2013. One of the best midfield trios in Europe as well.

So Portugals midfield (with Silva instead of Neves). Portugal are my favourites to win the Euros, because they have the best, most balanced midfield in the tournament.

So Portugals midfield (with Silva instead of Neves). Portugal are my favourites to win the Euros, because they have the best, most balanced midfield in the tournament.

I don't think Bernardo gets in. You need a #6, that's Palhinha. You need a ball-carrying Thiago type in LCM, that's Neves or maybe Vitinha. And then you cannot leave a creative machine like Bruno out for Bernardo. Bruno is also their best player and Bernardo has been largely ineffective for Portugal. If you want to find a place for him it's at right winger IMO.

I think they can absolutely win it if Martínez isn't scared to make some obvious decisions. Neves-Palhinha-Fernandes has to be the midfield, there's no better combination they can find. Ronaldo cannot start, at all. I wouldn't have even took him, to be honest. And then, Leao needs to start every game on the left. He's a tournament MVP level player if he gets going, and they need to create an optimal environment around him. The defense will be difficult to get wrong.

We're dodging a bullet by not signing him. He's too immobile and turns 29 next month. He'd be a BTEC Matic for us.

Too old, too expensive, not interested

Seems like the standard mistake we have made over and over again. Must say on top of that never really been that impressed is he good, sure but just smacks of the poor decision making we’ve made throwing away money.

No thanks, cheaper alternatives around that are younger and can grow with the others in the team.

You play a diamond/ box midfield and let Bruno have a free role in it with split strikers providing width.

That's the bedrock of our best football this season.

Feel like that one works on very specific occasions against certain teams, you don't want to base your whole team around that shape.

Against teams that just sit in we'll have no width at all. Even City play with wide men to stretch back lines. You'd have to pay Rashford or Garnacho as one of the strikers as well, which isn't playing to their strengths.

Pricey but he’s a savage. He’ll protect your defenders more than what you currently have once he beds in and unlike someone like Casemiro he will have a major point to prove over the next few years. If you’re going to sign an older player this and Kane is the way to go. You guys already have plenty of top young players. Himself and Olise and Kane are 3 of the best PL players you could have picked up. Nice work.

Last edited:
Meh, that is about 5m more than I would have liked to see, but whatever. It is not my money.
In all seriousness i read that you guys were interested in Onana from Everton, for around the same price. I’m surprised they went for the older guy as there will be little resale value

Status
Not open for further replies.