Joško Gvardiol | signs for Peps CB collection

Status
Not open for further replies.

SparkedIntoLife

I really like him but the price (given central defence isn’t a huge priority) and him being left footed means he’d be a bit frivolous of a signing considering FFP.

It is weird though that two left footers together is seen as a huge no no but two right footers at the back is commonplace.

I reckon any CD signings would be promising youngsters to replace outgoings (i.e. Maguire and maybe even Lindelof) rather than first team regulars. The likes of Sutalo, Lukeba, Branthwaite or Scalvini could be more suitable.

Bojan Djordjic

I really like him but the price (given central defence isn’t a huge priority) and him being left footed means he’d be a bit frivolous of a signing considering FFP.

It is weird though that two left footers together is seen as a huge no no but two right footers at the back is commonplace.

I reckon any CD signings would be promising youngsters to replace outgoings (i.e. Maguire and maybe even Lindelof) rather than first team regulars. The likes of Sutalo, Lukeba, Branthwaite or Scalvini could be more suitable.
I like the look of Zeno Debast at Anderlecht. He's called the next Vincent Kompany. His distribution from the back is excellent from what I've seen and read.

Another name that we should monitor is Schlotterbeck at Dortmund. He was the CB du jour last year but I'm sure Dortmund will want to cash in at some point. Would be expensive though.

SparkedIntoLife

I like the look of Zeno Debast at Anderlecht. He's called the next Vincent Kompany. His distribution from the back is excellent from what I've seen and read.

Another name that we should monitor is Schlotterbeck at Dortmund. He was the CB du jour last year but I'm sure Dortmund will want to cash in at some point. Would be expensive though.
Good shout on Debast, from the little I've heard and seen. On Schlotterbeck, though, apparently he's had a really dodgy start at Dortmund. Seems he's improved in recent weeks. He looks proper classy to me. Another left footer though and arguably an eventual Varane successor would be the priority as Martinez is four years younger and maybe has more longevity anyway, given the injuries Raphael has had. Plus Shaw can cover for Martinez. Maguire going this Summer is almost definite, IMHO, but I also think Lindelof might angle for a move to get more regular football. Debast would seem a good profile of player to deputise for Varane and be mentored by two World Cup winners in central defence. Plus, if we bring in Vermeeren to be Casemiro's understudy, Debast will have a Belgian compatriot alongside him.

It's nice that we're getting to more of a position now where we can sign an 18/19 year old and let them develop as squad players behind quality experienced players. It highlights what a fantastic job ETH is doing. Arguably we only *really* need a first choice striker and then we can sign cheaper, young backups at GK/CD/RB/CM/DM to provide challenge and depth in the squad. I can see us doing this with DDG. He's earning his stay (albeit on lower wages) and I don't really trust the higher profile young keepers like Meslier or Diogo Costa who we'd spend huge money on. Maybe best to buy someone a little less well known, a hidden gem if you will, to develop as DDG's understudy.

Anyway, I digress, but basically Gvardiol = fantastic player but wrong profile. I still see him going to Chelsea, despite them signing Badiashile.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Assuming they have any money Liverpool will potentially go for him (or would be wise to) , their defence needs replacing.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Chelsea will spunk an incredible amount of money on this chap
I know Eric doesn't like playing to left footed center backs at the same time but he's so promising that it might be worth punt to try to make a gvardiol Martinez combo work.

GlasgowCeltic

thought he was another calling Real his dream club, they should be shipping Rudiger for him

Blood Mage

If he was right-footed I'd take him in a heartbeat, but he's not taking Martinez's spot.

Bondi77

He has already stated that he wants to go and play with Magreed.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
He’s the most complete young defender I’ve seen probably since Rio. He’s just ridiculous. But he’s not what we need right now, which is a shame.

ManRed

We are looking for a left footed CB in the summer as Varane and Lindelof will be our RCB next season

Bojan Djordjic

I know Eric doesn't like playing to left footed center backs at the same time but he's so promising that it might be worth punt to try to make a gvardiol Martinez combo work.
This seems to be a non-negotiable for Ten Hag. He won't even play Maguire at LCB even though he is better on the left than he is on the right and has played there most of his career. For this reason, I don't think Gvardiola would be a good use of funds at all. Would probably take a transfer record for a defensive player to sign him and the margin between him and Licha just isn't big enough to warrant it. We all obviously want the best players but don't think we should be spending big in this particular position when its one of the main positions we've got strength. Maybe Antonio Silva at Benfica would be the better prospect to splurge on as Varane needs cover more frequently and is almost 30.

jesperjaap

Feel similar, I think he is a fantastic young defender and a dream signing 12months ago...but he is left sided and I would not swap Martinez for anybody, now, add SHaws development playing there now if needed too and it would very much be frivolous, but Id hate him to go to a rival.....fully expect Chelsea to sign him as they like signing centre backs and paying fortunes for them.
anyway
Gvardiol is very much left sided though and so it appears are SHaw and Martinez so dont see how any two of those three work as a centre back partnership

Scholsey2004

We are looking for a left footed CB in the summer as Varane and Lindelof will be our RCB next season
Im not convinced thatll be the case. Shaw has played a lot at LCB and has been top class. I think we're more likely to be looking at getting a top class technically gifted right back, a striker and a midfielder who can really dominate possession.

Oh_Dear

Im not convinced thatll be the case. Shaw has played a lot at LCB and has been top class. I think we're more likely to be looking at getting a top class technically gifted right back, a striker and a midfielder who can really dominate possession.
Interesting you think we need a RB. I think Dalot and AWB are a good balance of attacking / defensive strengths. AWB also qualifies for home grown so until/unless Laird breaks into the squad I'd be surprised to see AWB go.

I really like Gvardiol but I can't see him coming to Utd to given how well Martinez has settled. I assume we'll be looking for someone who is willing to fit the backup LCB role in the squad - NDicka maybe?

Woziak

See here’s the thing, a lot of posters are assuming that the awful transfer policy and completely incompetent execs handling these transfers for United over the last decade will be the same S…Fest that we’ve experienced over and over again, moving too slow, paying too much at the last moment, paying ridiculous wages to football mercenaries like Alexis Sanchez and generally overpaying to get a player and then watching them not perform to their optimum.

Assuming we have new Owners and assuming the favourite wins the race, he won’t care that Lisandro Martinez is playing well and he’s ETH favourite, if Gvardiol is available 6’2/6’3, widely recognised as the best young CB in the World Cup and he improves the Squad because he’s a massive upgrade on H Maguire then the new owner will try and do the deal, huge transfer fees are normally because clubs pay yearly when they spread the cost and therefore amortise the payments, Shekh Jassim if he takes charge might have already made a transfer list, he did say the best young players in the world and they’ve just seen them first had at the Qatar World Cup. He might already have in his head as part of his plan a list of footballers he would like to see at his club and after paying off the £500m debt, decide to put a cool £250m in the bank for summer transfers.

In other words United could be doing what city did a decade ago paying clubs up front and therefore not paying £80m for a player like Gvardiol but £60m upfront in one payment.

RVN1991

100 million though?
I think they'vetighten their purse recently.
They literally just spent 100 million on a donkey last summer. They'll find the money is Gvardiol wants to play there, they're not Derby county.

Real Name

They literally just spent 100 million on a donkey last summer. They'll find the money is Gvardiol wants to play there, they're not Derby county.
Who says they're Derby County. Why talk in absolutes. And I'm sure there will be more clubs interested, not only them. Also is CB their priority even.

RVN1991

Who says they're Derby County. Why talk in absolutes. And I'm sure there will be more clubs interested, not only them. Also is CB their priority even.
Should be. Their center backs are shite. Their midfield isn't much better but it's usually just relied on workhorses

Real Name

Should be. Their center backs are shite. Their midfield isn't much better but it's usually just relied on workhorses
VVD, Konate, Matip and Gomez are shit? Who knew.
Well Gomez is a bit shit but the rest not so much.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
See here’s the thing, a lot of posters are assuming that the awful transfer policy and completely incompetent execs handling these transfers for United over the last decade will be the same S…Fest that we’ve experienced over and over again, moving too slow, paying too much at the last moment, paying ridiculous wages to football mercenaries like Alexis Sanchez and generally overpaying to get a player and then watching them not perform to their optimum.

Assuming we have new Owners and assuming the favourite wins the race, he won’t care that Lisandro Martinez is playing well and he’s ETH favourite, if Gvardiol is available 6’2/6’3, widely recognised as the best young CB in the World Cup and he improves the Squad because he’s a massive upgrade on H Maguire then the new owner will try and do the deal, huge transfer fees are normally because clubs pay yearly when they spread the cost and therefore amortise the payments, Shekh Jassim if he takes charge might have already made a transfer list, he did say the best young players in the world and they’ve just seen them first had at the Qatar World Cup. He might already have in his head as part of his plan a list of footballers he would like to see at his club and after paying off the £500m debt, decide to put a cool £250m in the bank for summer transfers.

In other words United could be doing what city did a decade ago paying clubs up front and therefore not paying £80m for a player like Gvardiol but £60m upfront in one payment.
Gvardiol looks great, but dont make much sense for us now.

But we player of that type. Players between 21 and 26 who combine technique with great physical attributes (pace, agility and mobility). I think both Kim and Timber looks like good options.

Same with Caicedo and Rice in midfield. Martinez and Casemiro made sense last summer. But they will be needing players with pace and mobility next to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.