Joško Gvardiol | signs for Peps CB collection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oh_Dear

See here’s the thing, a lot of posters are assuming that the awful transfer policy and completely incompetent execs handling these transfers for United over the last decade will be the same S…Fest that we’ve experienced over and over again, moving too slow, paying too much at the last moment, paying ridiculous wages to football mercenaries like Alexis Sanchez and generally overpaying to get a player and then watching them not perform to their optimum.

Assuming we have new Owners and assuming the favourite wins the race, he won’t care that Lisandro Martinez is playing well and he’s ETH favourite, if Gvardiol is available 6’2/6’3, widely recognised as the best young CB in the World Cup and he improves the Squad because he’s a massive upgrade on H Maguire then the new owner will try and do the deal, huge transfer fees are normally because clubs pay yearly when they spread the cost and therefore amortise the payments, Shekh Jassim if he takes charge might have already made a transfer list, he did say the best young players in the world and they’ve just seen them first had at the Qatar World Cup. He might already have in his head as part of his plan a list of footballers he would like to see at his club and after paying off the £500m debt, decide to put a cool £250m in the bank for summer transfers.

In other words United could be doing what city did a decade ago paying clubs up front and therefore not paying £80m for a player like Gvardiol but £60m upfront in one payment.
I’m afraid the FFP regulations are based on revenue numbers, so it don’t make any difference if the new owner pays off the debt and puts 250m in the bank - FFP regs will still only look at % of revenue.

Sigma501

Supports
Football
They literally just spent 100 million on a donkey last summer. They'll find the money is Gvardiol wants to play there, they're not Derby county.
I think Nunez cost £64 million and has scored 3 times the number of goals which Antony has, and we paid £90 million.

Real Name

If they paid £64 million for a 'donkey' what did we get for £90 million? No need to answer, its a rhetorical question but I'm sure you can work it out.
Yeah I can work out that this doesnt have absolutely anything with Joško Gvardiol potentially going to Liverpool. You just had to have a mini rant about Antony.

glasgow 21

Reading endless comments I think the best for all is that Antony is sold on with a few others as far as folk on here are concerned he is finished. Hopefully he goes and has a succesful career elsewhere as he is one game away from been burnt at the cross with this club. Disgraceful all of it. Yet your we darling Shaw who has been here through all of these collapses along with others do not even brush the surface when it comes to the hate dished out to Antony. The cancer was here amongst players with past managers and it was here at the start of the season. Ten Hag in his stupidity brushed over the cracks, but let us ignore that and give it welly to the new guy.

Sigma501

Supports
Football
Yeah I can work out that this doesnt have absolutely anything with Joško Gvardiol potentially going to Liverpool. You just had to have a mini rant about Antony.
I don't feel the need to have a mini rant at Antony who will need time to settle and adapt to the increased physicality and pace of the EPL vice the Eredivise, I just found the dig at Nunes (who is making a similar transition from the Portugese League) strange and an opportunity to have a dig at a Liverpool player who scored twice against us at the weekend and cost £26 million less.

RVN1991

I don't feel the need to have a mini rant at Antony who will need time to settle and adapt to the increased physicality and pace of the EPL vice the Eredivise, I just found the dig at Nunes (who is making a similar transition from the Portugese League) strange and an opportunity to have a dig at a Liverpool player who scored twice against us at the weekend and cost £26 million less.
So he isn't a technically inferior player who cost close to 100m? Btw look back at the Nunez threads, I've been one of the few who defended the signing and called for patience during his first months in the premier league.

Funny how players from other clubs get backed a lot more than our own lads on here.

Woziak

I’m afraid the FFP regulations are based on revenue numbers, so it don’t make any difference if the new owner pays off the debt and puts 250m in the bank - FFP regs will still only look at % of revenue.
Not correct the new FFP slows the club to spend 90% of their total revenues on wages, Agent fees and amortised transfer which is the value of the fee spread over the term of the contract. The 90% threshold then changes to 80% in season 24/25 and 70% in season 2025/26.

Assuming Sales Revenue declined by 10% this year highly likely as no CL, Sales Revenue will be £550m our wage bill was reported £384m last year but this will be reduced significantly due to Ronaldo leaving, and Europa League reductions of 20% plus other high profile players leaving like Pogba, Cavani, Mata, Matic, Lingard, yes we signed Casemeiro, Antony, Martinez, Malacia and Ericsen but their wages are lower than the 5 outgoings which was easily 1m per week off the bill against 850,000 per week incoming. It’s safe to assume our wage bill this year is about £325m , this is why players like Weghorst rather than Felix or Gatkpo were not signed. This would be roughly 63% of the 90% allowed without players being sold

This doesn’t mean that we have £170m to spend this summer because it does not work like that so for example if we buy V Osimhen for £120m on a 5 year contract but with ridiculous agents fees of £20m which have to be paid up front normally that would mean £44m of our £170m allowance has been spent in 1 player. The sales value of Osimhen would be amortised over a 5 year contract so the fee is divided by 5 and then added to the upfront agents fees.

Could new owners buy 6 or 7 players, simple answer is yes but we would need to sell some players because we can offset the net position with their amortised sale value and therefore increase our transfer budget up to £250-300m. They are some great free deals this summer too like Adrian Rabiot and others so with a new ownership team I’m confident they would want to be seen as a polar opposite to the clowns who conducted transfer policy previously .

Our problem and the new owners problems will start following the two years after this summer where they would have their hands tied and would be able to do very little without cancelling and paying up contracts to reduce salaries of some of their players. Imagine 2025/26 with a revenue of maybe £650m quite possible with solid runs in the CL

Woziak

Gvardiol looks great, but dont make much sense for us now.

But we player of that type. Players between 21 and 26 who combine technique with great physical attributes (pace, agility and mobility). I think both Kim and Timber looks like good options.

Same with Caicedo and Rice in midfield. Martinez and Casemiro made sense last summer. But they will be needing players with pace and mobility next to them.

I agree with your post but will a hands on new owner ?

Woziak

If get a «hands on new owner» who end up dictating who to buy we are fecked. Would an investor with that much money be that unprofessional?
No he will employ best in class as a CEO and Director of Football then sack them if they act like United have for the last 10 years.

Real Name

You dont feel the need yet you had a mini rant in a wrong thread.

Sigma501

Supports
Football
different positions but sure dont let that get in the way of a shite argument lad
Different positions? Both play on the wide side of a front 3 how the hell is that different?

Bwuk

He's not a £100m player at all. Hopefully Liverpool buy him.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Is this what 100m gets you today?
I'm not saying he is worth that but things like this aren't really a good way to judge a player. You could be an absolute phenomenon but if the whole team shits the bed there's only so much you can do.

Are Van Dijk, Varane & Martinez lesser players now because they also played in teams that let in 7?

Lux Thunder

I'm not saying he is worth that but things like this aren't really a good way to judge a player. You could be an absolute phenomenon but if the whole team shits the bed there's only so much you can do.

Are Van Dijk, Varane & Martinez lesser players now because they also played in teams that let in 7?
Exactly, we shipped 6 at Etihad and 7 at Anfield, so by that logic, we have a bang-average squad.

Gvardiol is still the best young CB in Europe despite the result from last night.

RuudTom83

Over the last 2 seasons Man City and Liverpool can hammer any team...makes me feel a little better about the beating United have had during that time tbh.

Gvardiol would've learn more last night that all the wins he'd had this season combined (probably)

Ekeke

He's mostly potential. If he develops he has speed, can win the ball in the air and likes to play the ball as well. But he's nowhere close to a top CB at this point in time. Could take 1 year or it could take his whole career and never get there.

I dont think he'd be as good as Shaw has been at CB for us for his 5 games there for example. And he wouldnt make any sense for us anyway, with Lisandro and Shaw as LCB options. We need to improve our right sided options instead

Zed is not dead

Watch them buy Gvardiol for a reported £37m fee (with the rest being paid through shell companies based in Malta of course)

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I presume Leipzig are still insisting on 100m?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Typical Gvardiola player, should be ideal for replacing the ol' gvard, well suited for gvarding the ol' goal + something else gvard, etc.

Superden

They obviously haven't got wind that Koch is available on a free from Leeds.

Lux Thunder

Laporte's replacement is my guess. Pep is ruthless
Exactly what I was arguing with my mate a few weeks ago, imagine Pep replacing Laporte and Gundogan with Gvardiol and Kovačić - no matter what we do in the market this summer, the gap will still be more or less the same as it was this season.

Pain is even bigger being Croatian as we never had a Croatian player here.

Oh, but they have to wait to sell Laporte first, isn't that how it works ? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.