Joao Felix

eire-red

Probably a bit too far to say we've dodged a bullet here as Weghorst doesn't exactly inspire much, but I don't think this guy would have been worth the cost short term, nor the baggage long-term.

The morale seems very good in the United dressing room, and finally we seem to have gotten rid of the egos.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Seems like all technique and nothing much else. Still could score though.

SAFMUTD

Flashy but ineffective player. For anything above 50-60M I'd stay far away.

maurinho

Supports
FC Porto
The sooner he realizes he’s a striker the better for him. He’s an incredible finisher and can even head the ball quite well.

A lot of players want to drop deep and play 1-2s but it doesn’t do much for the team. And Havertz close to him doesn’t add anything

Reactions: Jippy

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
Incredible people continue to hype him after he underwhelms time and time again. After his debut game for Chelsea, people were ready to anoint him the next Messi again based on little more than some nice dribbling and wayward shooting - and then got sent off anyway.

Just one of many technically pleasing to the eye players who lacks consistency to justify starting for a top team. Will spend a few more years of people claiming he's not being used correctly, being used out of position before people accept that actually, he's probably just not that good. There's more to being a world class player than merely having good technique.

Bebestation

Genuinely feel like some fans just over-love technical ability when you need much more stuff to be a great footballer.

He looks good - but lacks stuff.

Chief123

Genuinely feel like some fans just over-love technical ability when you need much more stuff to be a great footballer.

He seems to be a player which has moments of quality which lead to nothing.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

I think a player of his skill set in the right group with a tough manager (like here) could be world class. In the wrong setup or if he journeys around the game he could easily be another James or Coutinho. Always capable of winning matches and doing the unexpected but too inconsistent to ever be considered world class. He's a massive talent.

Djemba-Djemba

He's just won their goal of the month for February so he must be doing pretty well.

Now fair enough, it was the only goal Chelsea scored this month but still.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
No one is going to teach this guy how to finish, the amount of hype around him is utterly insane and after his purple patch which lasted one match, he’s reverted back to his actual level. Now let’s blame Simeone for it? Or maybe just maybe he’s a luxury player who doesn’t even know his best position who puts up shite numbers? His end product is abysmal, I hope Chelsea sign him up so we’re not stupid enough to in the summer.
Said it from the start, overhyped, wasteful and is a luxury player who doesn’t warrant the luxury.

Bebestation

I think a player of his skill set in the right group with a tough manager (like here) could be world class. In the wrong setup or if he journeys around the game he could easily be another James or Coutinho. Always capable of winning matches and doing the unexpected but too inconsistent to ever be considered world class. He's a massive talent.
Simeone wasn’t a bad manager tbh. He got the best out of some quality players like Greizmann but struggled with Jaoa Felix.

Anyway, I’m not writing him off - just sometimes technical ability is a bit overrated - as others have said; Mudryk makes some one time quality run and turns to a Balon D’or winner - Felix has a good game and turns to some guy we should have signed because he is the next Messi.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Incredible people continue to hype him after he underwhelms time and time again. After his debut game for Chelsea, people were ready to anoint him the next Messi again based on little more than some nice dribbling and wayward shooting - and then got sent off anyway.

Just one of many technically pleasing to the eye players who lacks consistency to justify starting for a top team. Will spend a few more years of people claiming he's not being used correctly, being used out of position before people accept that actually, he's probably just not that good. There's more to being a world class player than merely having good technique.
Completely agreed. I just find the overacting of Felix baffling. Produced very little since the record breaking transfer but there is always some excuse (wrong manager, wrong setup, wrong club).

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Said it from the start, overhyped, wasteful and is a luxury player who doesn’t warrant the luxury.
Product of Benfica and Jorge Mendes media machine overhype. Gonçalo Ramos is going through the same process.

Felix is probably worth about 40 to 50 millions and I'm being generous. If Chelsea end up paying more than 100 millions for him, it will be biggest waste of money for a player in football history (considering the first transfer to Atletico as well).

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Product of Benfica and Jorge Mendes media machine overhype. Gonçalo Ramos is going through the same process.

Felix is probably worth about 40 to 50 millions and I'm being generous. If Chelsea end up paying more than 100 millions for him, it will be biggest waste of money for a player in football history (considering the first transfer to Atletico as well).
Always trust the Portuguese posters when it comes to Portuguese football!

Telsim

People finally coming around to what I've been saying since the start. The most overrated player of his generation. How Benfica managed to scam Atletico out of 120M for him is one of the miracles of the modern world. He has been average at best for Atletico. He was never going to suddenly turn world class just by changing teams.

marktan

He really should be trying to morph into the Aguero role. Not as good a finisher but better on the ball. Or even Kane with his linkup. This whole no.10 idea does nothing for him as you need to be a midfield hybrid like Bruno or Odegaard for that role these days.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
People finally coming around to what I've been saying since the start. The most overrated player of his generation. How Benfica managed to scam Atletico out of 120M for him is one of the miracles of the modern world. He has been average for Atletico. He was never going to suddenly turn world class just by changing teams.
I doubt Atletico really paid 120 millions for him. There were other players involved in the transfer (ended up at Benfica B or Atletico B). It was part of that Mendes carrousel player transfers between clubs where he has influence (Benfica, Valência, Atletico Madrid, Wolves). They still paid alot though.

Pronewbie

Peep

But I recall the Atletico players raving about him in his 1st 2 seasons? That's he's the best footballer in the team, but needs to keep his head and work hard for the team, or something to that effect.

appleman

Supports
Atletico Madrid
Completely agreed. I just find the overacting of Felix baffling. Produced very little since the record breaking transfer but there is always some excuse (wrong manager, wrong setup, wrong club).
The biggest reason he didn't succeed at Atleti – all the time – wasn't the setup or position he was put in. It wasn't attacking or defensive football. In that sense it wasn't Simeone's fault. The thing that held him back was him being injured and later on Simeone benching him and not playing him at all at times. The latter you can blame him for, but in all honesty, with Felix it could all be an issue of mentality. But to judge that on 2-3 meh games when he just joined the club... Especially as a young player getting back into the rhythm of playing, is a bit of a rush of judgment.

I think it's a bit weird he plays as #10 for Chelsea, though. Their holding midfield doesn't seem to allow for their offensive midfield line, in my opinion. Felix can be a playmaker (so can Ziyech), but he's not a full midfielder if your defensive ones are also still either adapting, inexperienced or not really leading controllers.

The thing with Felix seems more like people expecting him either to be a messiah (which even Messi wasn't at PSG, to be fair – or even Argentina when he was younger), or they overplay the overrated card. Yes he could've shown more, but it wasn't difficult to see that this guy is the most talented player Atletico has had at their hands in the past decades. He is easily much better than Griezmann has ever been in the technical areas, but Griezmann is more of a leader and in some of his seasons has shown more of his midfield capabilities.

Plus Chelsea really sucks at the moment, so it will be hard to show more than sprinkles of skill for any of their members until Potter or someone else figures their shit out – or it starts to click with the players finally?

This whole thread is baffling, this guy is the definition of promise, and I hope he returns his potential. I agree it's too soon to call him their new Hazard (or United's for next season... hopefully), but to call him a Pogba-at-United-mold is a huge stretch, as well. He needs much (much) less to excel, just play him and don't expect him to be Messi within a mere 5 games in a lost team. If you've actually watched him play you would have realized that, easily.

In all honesty I'm not sure how he'd fit in at United right now, but if ETH sees him as a striker, which wouldn't surprise me, especially if he has the space to alternate with Rashford, I don't have much doubt about his future success (barring injuries and possibly being an asshole behind the screens – but ETH is pretty good with many types of characters, so I'd trust him – even if Simeone is/was generally great with many different types as well).

What baffles me is that he chose Chelsea, but if they're the only ones in for him, and his starting position does seem guaranteed, I guess it makes sense in that regard... But playing off Havertz and contemporary Sterling sounds like a challenge to me for any shadow striker/#10. I think they're better off reconverting Havertz to a 10 and have Felix as a striker, but who cares about Chelsea.

People praise their team mates. Especially ones that come with a record price tag.
They were overheard in pretty much privacy (the tunnel to each other, I think it was Oblak and Saúl), claiming he can win games for fun if he simply tries. That's why I fear the mentality part, though he's delivered for Atleti almost always when actually played. If he had the Griezmann-freedom, he'd offer much more than the Frenchman did, to be honest. (Please keep in mind that I do think Griezmann is overrated in many areas, so I am a bit biased against him. Although, my position on him has shifted a bit this season as I think he actually has improved his consistency a lot, and I hoped his midfield role would be more consistent with all the Lemar injuries)

Abraxas

Talented player but has been style over substance for his whole career. It's just he had this convenient excuse around the manager and tactics at Atletico. But ultimately, you have to produce more than he does, that's the bottom line for a forward at the top level. Remains to be seen, he's not come into a good side at the moment so you have to give him a little bit of patience. The problem for Chelsea is they bought him for immediate impact.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I think he's very good and will love him here. People in this thread are acting like the rest of his team mates aren't shit also. He would thrive under ETH

Pronewbie

Peep
People praise their team mates. Especially ones that come with a record price tag.
Yeah I get that but there were pretty balanced assessments of him. Incredibly talented footballer who needs to work harder on other parts of his game etc. It's obvious to football fans that they're not lying about his technique and dribbling.

Il_Cecchino

Supports
Hellas Verona
Good player, but not word class and not worth the price. He is a 40-50m player.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
How long is he going to be viewed as a talent? 23 years is young, but not that young anymore.

ti vu

I don't understand what people's expectation for him are. He's at a wrong team at Atletico, going on loan to Chelsea may be better for him (playing time), but it doesn't mean he would turn into a prolific scorer overnight. He's still a work in progress. He plays more than decently when he's on the pitch, while his match deciding factor may require to improve.

It's not like Chelsea was well oiled machine and he came and hindered them. Sterling who can be prolific in a strong team has been also struggling for goal too. Right now, Chelsea looks to play more positive with him than without, despite lacking of goal.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
People slating him forget EtH wanted the guy. How do you think WW would look at Chelsea or Pool atm?

Some of you seem to conveniently forget our manager is working a miracle with average footballers in some positions.

This guy has the talent and has been schooled in the Simeone work rate ethic. I think he'd be a revelation under EtH but he keeps making dumb career choices which makes me question if it's his mentality, more than the talent, that's his problem. A sort of a Portuguese FdJ if you'd like.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Anyone slating him is being silly. He's our single best and most effective attacker by a fecking country mile right now - our lack of scoring isn't down to him at all.

He also is not being put into a position to succeed - starting him alongside Sterling and Ziyech is fecking malpractice.

RC89

Anyone slating him is being silly. He's our single best and most effective attacker by a fecking country mile right now - our lack of scoring isn't down to him at all.

He also is not being put into a position to succeed - starting him alongside Sterling and Ziyech is fecking malpractice.
This literally means nothing.