Joao Neves

davidmichael

For anyone who properly watches Portuguese football could they fill us in on who’d be better as a single pivot between Varela at Porto and Neves at Benfica ? I’d love both personally as from what I've seen those two along with Mainoo in midfield would be a perfect balance.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Any new credible development or just your gut feeling .
Is actually credible and it can be found in several press articles. United had a meeting with his agent on April 28th. Unfortunately he is represented by Jorg€ M€nd€s which means it will be an expensive deal. But Benfica is interested in keeping Alvaro Carreras and wants to keep him without the buyback clause. We'll see how this develops.

gajender

Is actually credible and it can be found in several press articles. United had a meeting with his agent on April 28th. Unfortunately he is represented by Jorg€ M€nd€s which means it will be an expensive deal. But Benfica is interested in keeping Alvaro Carreras and wants to keep him without the buyback clause. We'll see how this develops.
I can only find some highly dubious reports from non credible sources about meeting between Ratcliffe and Mendes in English media which hardly makes sense , is it being reported in Portuguese media by anybody credible .

Last edited:

Woziak

When you say expensive what sort of figure as hell be amortised on a 5 year contract even if Unite make the payment in 1 or 2 instalments, his wages I’m assuming would be relatively low at £85-110k per week as he’s so young?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
:drool: dream summer signing for me, I hope that greases the wheels

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
When you say expensive what sort of figure as hell be amortised on a 5 year contract even if Unite make the payment in 1 or 2 instalments, his wages I’m assuming would be relatively low at £85-110k per week as he’s so young?
The negotiations are only starting, we'll see if they can reach an agreement. João Neves will cost a lot of money, probably something between 75-100 M €, as usual with M€nd€s transfers. A lot of clubs in Europe pay in monthly installments, I see no problems there.
That wage will probably do, he's on 960K/year at the moment, without counting with bonus, which means that offer would get him 4 times what he's earning at the moment.

There are hidden benefits, though. Mendes basically controls the arab leagues markets, pretty sure Manchester will not mind paying more if that means they can offload some players to Saudi, Qatar, etc.

Woziak

The negotiations are only starting, we'll see if they can reach an agreement. João Neves will cost a lot of money, probably something between 75-100 M €, as usual with M€nd€s transfers. A lot of clubs in Europe pay in monthly installments, I see no problems there.
That wage will probably do, he's on 960K/year at the moment, without counting with bonus, which means that offer would get him 4 times what he's earning at the moment.

There are hidden benefits, though. Mendes basically controls the arab leagues markets, pretty sure Manchester will not mind paying more if that means they can offload some players to Saudi, Qatar, etc.
Thanks for the input, I actually think Neves is a superstar in waiting, him with Mainoo would be a cheat code. Even €100m over 5 years with €100k per week/ So £4m or €5m per season in wages to me is a no brainer.

If we did this deal for a 19 year old for 10 years would go on the books at €20m transfer fee plus €5m wages over 5 years. For perspective If we did sell Casemiro to Saudi for £30m, then the fee basically offsets the transfer fees of £30m owed with two outstanding instalment’s of £15m still owed, forget add ons they won’t be reached. So the transfer becomes neutral and the wages of £350k per week saved is £18.2m or €21.2m almost like for like and it would be at €90m transfer Fee.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Personally I'm not concerned about it being. I'd like to see evidence that the INEOS led football department can sell players competently. The surest way to finance such a deal

aeh1991

When did he change his name? Seems like all of a sudden he's called like that everywhere.

Walters_19_MuFc

Wouldn't surprise me if we splash out on the lad. Not seen much of him, but hear good things, and Sir Jim, despite him not having a say in our signings, seems to think we need a ''Paul Scholes''. Therefore, I can only imagine, from the outside looking in, he, along with other fans, feel we need a ball playing midfielder, who can control the game.

He and Mainoo as a double 6 pivot would be amazing. Problem is, ten Hag no longer plays that way.

davidmichael

When did he change his name? Seems like all of a sudden he's called like that everywhere.
That’s actually his surname if I remember right, I’m sure Fernandez was his middle name as it wasn’t double barrelled. I remember Diallo was Traore when we began negotiations for him then was suddenly Diallo once he signed, think is now Amad.

The Irish Connection

To be honest, in today’s market €100 million isn’t that crazy for such a talent. 80 odd million pounds. Plus his wages as others have said would be relatively low.
He has a bit of everything for the deep midfield role. I really like his energy and intensity.
He can dribble in tight situations and spray passes while being defensively strong.

Hope we hear some developments soon.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I might be wrong but I've been getting the impression we're a bit skint, with the reports of us not being able to afford to pay £10m for Ashworth, or the payouts to Ten Hag and his replacement. Could be bollocks, but given our recent spending and FFP limits, I'm inclined to believe it.

So with that being said, I don't believe we'll be spending big money on relative gambles on players like this. Even Olise at £60m, who is PL proven, is unlikely to me. Paying £140m for the pair, with everything else we need? I just can't see it happening, unless they intend on keeping most players and just improving one or two positions at a time over the next few years.

cpresc

I might be wrong but I've been getting the impression we're a bit skint, with the reports of us not being able to afford to pay £10m for Ashworth, or the payouts to Ten Hag and his replacement. Could be bollocks, but given our recent spending and FFP limits, I'm inclined to believe it.

So with that being said, I don't believe we'll be spending big money on relative gambles on players like this. Even Olise at £60m, who is PL proven, is unlikely to me. Paying £140m for the pair, with everything else we need? I just can't see it happening, unless they intend on keeping most players and just improving one or two positions at a time over the next few years.
Where there's a will there's a way.

Jim'll fix it.

Mojo_pin

I think we are trying to minimize expenses until the 1st of July (this is when the covid year is removed from the PSR) to give us more flexibility in the market moving forward.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He actually reminds me of a young Roy Keane. Very crisp passing, can make a difference going forward and is good in the tackle. His dribbling is great. It should make him press resistant. I feel like he’s going to become a leader at national team level too. What a prospect he is :drool:

I feel like he’s one of the best gettable young players in the world. I think a signing like this also reiterates our commitment to developing the best young players in the world. This is the stuff!

Last edited:

Redivy

Realistically the clubs that could afford him are Man United, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atletico, PSG and Bayern. Chelsea and Madrid already have their young core of mids, Barcelona probably don't have the funds and I'd say its unlikely for Atletico.

I think its between United, City, Liverpool, PSG and Bayern.

adkb

I havent seen him.

Can someone tell me if he is technically sane? I mean can he fecking hold the ball, turn and pass to a team mate?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’d like us to get him plus a strong defensive midfielder. I’m actually minded that Mainoo will be more forward thinking in the long term. Not a ‘just behind the striker’ player, but an 8+ like Iniesta. Mainoo, Neves and a proper athletic DM would be a great foundation.

Son

I’d like us to get him plus a strong defensive midfielder. I’m actually minded that Mainoo will be more forward thinking in the long term. Not a ‘just behind the striker’ player, but an 8+ like Iniesta. Mainoo, Neves and a proper athletic DM would be a great foundation.
I agree with this even if the athletic DM becomes a rotation option when we need them instead of every game.

I do feel with a bit of pace and power in the CB’s and the midfield we could become a transformed side. We score goals quite well on average recently but obviously the right wing needs improving too.

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
If United is actually staring a rebuild which I think they should then this is the worst possible way to do it. By spending huge on a young relatively unproven player. What happens if this doesn't work which is always possible as seen with Enzo?

Ideally should get multiple young high ceiling u21 players in the range of 30m-40m and allow them to grow along with academy guys. These will form the core of the team and once that is ready get high value players in the position of need and profile required.

One doesn't get a 100m player and then build a team around him. 100m players are bought to elevate the whole team for that a decent functional team core is required.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
If United is actually staring a rebuild which I think they should then this is the worst possible way to do it. By spending huge on a young relatively unproven player. What happens if this doesn't work which is always possible as seen with Enzo?

Ideally should get multiple young high ceiling u21 players in the range of 30m-40m and allow them to grow along with academy guys. These will form the core of the team and once that is ready get high value players in the position of need and profile required.

One doesn't get a 100m player and then build a team around him. 100m players are bought to elevate the whole team for that a decent functional team core is required.
What if it doesn't work isn't really a good reason to not buy someone extremely talented.

Chelsea did both several u21s in the 30-40 range and a couple of 100m players and it didn't work. It's not about the price, it's about their talent and what they can bring to the squad.

jesperjaap

I havent seen him.

Can someone tell me if he is technically sane? I mean can he fecking hold the ball, turn and pass to a team mate?
That sums up how bad oru recruitment has been when a fan is asking is it worth spenidn £100m on a young player asking fro clarfication he isnt mental, is mobile and can pass the ball 10yards haha

OleGunnar20

:drool: dream summer signing for me, I hope that greases the wheels
Agreed. Even a high price in comparison tobthe Casemiro outlay would be a very shrewd move for me. He's absolutely brilliant and young enough that next to Mainoo we could be building a midfield for a decade, giving us plenty of time to address all the other gaps in the squad.

We can also be savvy this year and fill that CB hole (one of them at least!) With a free signing such as Tosin mentioned a lot on here.

That's a great point, thanks for the insight. You'd think Varane & Casemiro would have enough star power left to still be of interest to those leagues, if they were willing to make the move. Even at negligible fees the wages saved would be a massive help to the P&L.

OleGunnar20

While I see your point I think Neves is worth spending big on personally. It does mean we'll need to be shrewd in filling some other squad gaps with Academy players & Free / Low outlays for this summer for sure, but given his age if he works out (which of course is always a risk) we'll have locked in our midfield for a potential decade.

I compare this type of use of big money to the likes of Casemiro, Mount and Antony and think it's leagues better use and that'll do for me.

If we can identify a number of 30-40m high potential youngsters to complement 2 or 3 of these big outlays over the next few windows that of course would be ideal. But never go full Chelsea. You never go FULL Chelsea..

Varun1

Agreed. Even a high price in comparison tobthe Casemiro outlay would be a very shrewd move for me. He's absolutely brilliant and young enough that next to Mainoo we could be building a midfield for a decade, giving us plenty of time to address all the other gaps in the squad.

We can also be savvy this year and fill that CB hole (one of them at least!) With a free signing such as Tosin mentioned a lot on here.

That's a great point, thanks for the insight. You'd think Varane & Casemiro would have enough star power left to still be of interest to those leagues, if they were willing to make the move. Even at negligible fees the wages saved would be a massive help to the P&L.
Varane's contract is ending at the end of the season.