Joao Pedro of Watford | Deal agreed with Brighton

AussieDevil

Over the past few months I’ve banged on about this young lad in multiple threads but thought to make this thread instead, especially now with Newcastle rumored to be bidding for him.

20 year old Brazilian striker playing for Watford at the moment, he joined them when he was 17 and made a couple of appearances in the premier league before they were relegated, and from there he has been a regular for their first team, playing 38 matches and scoring 9 goals in the championship, following that up with 28 premier league appearances and only 3 goals last season in the first division.

He is a huge talent in my opinion and has gone under the radar. He is really quick, 6’0 tall, strong and has flair to his game. He is also a workhorse. He looks like he is a decent finisher already but that will get better with experience.

It looks like it’ll take approximately 25 million to get him out of Watford and that seems like a steal considering his age and experience.

Red_toad

Be an excellent player if he could finish. Has many of the attributes Ten Hag would be looking for. But Ronnie and Martial for the 1 spot this season by the looks of it.

AussieDevil

Be an excellent player if he could finish. Has many of the attributes Ten Hag would be looking for. But Ronnie and Martial for the 1 spot this season by the looks of it.
He seems to have good composure and gets in the positions to score so I think the finishing will come naturally with him.

ti vu

I fancied us going for someone more experienced when there was a rumor months ago. But now at this stage of the transfer window, which link to player like Gakpo who is not a natural CF from Dutch league for €40-50mil, I definitely would prefer this Joao Pedro kid. More impressive with overall ability than Gakpo. There is no guarantee Gakpo could produce similar number in PL, when he would face better defenders.

Santos J

Yeah always liked the look of him and think he'd be a great option at the rumoured £25/30m or so. Shame it looks like he's off to Newcastle.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Missed this thread and thought about starting one for him as a Watford ST holder. Just bagged the Motm award again after a superb performance. He assisted the equaliser, and for the 93rd winner came from him chesting down an absolute hoof to the edge of the box, off balance, and a back heel flick before it lands to the attacker who shanks his shot to the next striker who tapped it in.

Pedro is already an all-rounder type attacker at such a young age. He gives 110% with his work rate. He's so strong when holding off defenders, when dribbling past defenders. He's way too good for the championship. I wish we would take a punt on him because he would slot right in a year or two down the line. What a player.

AussieDevil

Missed this thread and thought about starting one for him as a Watford ST holder. Just bagged the Motm award again after a superb performance. He assisted the equaliser, and for the 93rd winner came from him chesting down an absolute hoof to the edge of the box, off balance, and a back heel flick before it lands to the attacker who shanks his shot to the next striker who tapped it in.

Pedro is already an all-rounder type attacker at such a young age. He gives 110% with his work rate. He's so strong when holding off defenders, when dribbling past defenders. He's way too good for the championship. I wish we would take a punt on him because he would slot right in a year or two down the line. What a player.
100% agree mate, he is an all rounder and is very hard working. It says a lot about his character too that he has been able to improve every year since moving to a foreign country at 17.

Seems like it would take 25-30m to get him now.

northernsoul74

Would be an exiting signing but zero links since he was up and coming in Brazil. Hopefully we’ve kept an eye on him.

Last edited:

AussieDevil

Had links to both Newcastle and Everton towards the end of the window but neither could seal the deal.

Will have a breakout season in the championship this year.

meamth

Seems promising, but needs to prove himself in the championship this season to gain serious interest from top clubs.

It would be smart to sign him based on just potential, but scouts I assume would advice to watch him this season to cement perception on his quality.

If Mitrovic can score 40 goals in championship level, he needs to perform at that level, perhaps. Not 40 goals, but 15-20 goals would be enough.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but he is having absolute blinder against Burnley tonight.
He's a real talent, he will be in the Premiership one way or another next season for sure.

ti vu

Scored more goals than Diallo this season but they are different style players.
Difficult to compare the two due to that.
It's hard to compare, but the few times I see him, I believe he's at higher mature level to Diallo. After all, he started games in PL last season, where whether Diallo can transfer his performance in Championship to PL is still just hypothesis.

Vapor trail

He's brilliant I'd take him even as a backup to rotate with another striker.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Is Joao Pedro more of a number 9 or a number 10?
I think he's more of a Jesus/Firmino type player, dropping deep and pressing defenders and carrying the ball. He's very easy on the eye, just perhaps needs work on his finishing.

footballbite

Is Joao Pedro more of a number 9 or a number 10?
He is more of a 10. He's also good as a left-sided forward, but 10 is his best position right now.

He can fill in as a striker if needed, but ultimately his biggest strengths are in picking the ball up in deeper areas and then either dribbling or passing through the defensive lines. The quality of his heading and finishing still isn't really quite there for a number 9 and sometimes he can be a bit slow in getting a shot away, hence why he's currently most effective setting up others while also popping up with a few goals himself.

I wouldn't entirely rule out him becoming a bit more of a 9 in maybe 4 seasons once he's filled out a bit more, but if it happens he'll be more a Firmino type. Right now though he's not ready to be a 9 at a high level.

As good as Diallo?
I think he's marginally better.

He's a real talent, he will be in the Premiership one way or another next season for sure.
Yes he's definitely gone up a level over the last few months and now definitely looks a player who'll be good enough for the PL next season. Man Utd would likely be a step too far for him, but I could imagine him at a Brighton or Leicester.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I remember him scoring what I think was his first PL goal in that 4-1 mullering Watford gave us.

Edit - That was an extremely odd game. The goals. Sarr missing two penalties / De Gea saving two penalties. DvB scoring. It had it all.

Stadjer

I remember him scoring what I think was his first PL goal in that 4-1 mullering Watford gave us.

Edit - That was an extremely odd game. The goals. Sarr missing two penalties / De Gea saving two penalties. DvB scoring. It had it all.
and that game also caused Ole to be (finally) sacked if i remember correctly

Baxquux

Hmm, another skillful player with erratic finishing, just what Brighton need to take the next step or fill in when Ferguson's out...

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Was an absolute disasterclass from Harold in that game too.

Red_toad

Lad has really kicked on this season. Looks a very complete striker now and scoring on a regular basis.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
Lad has really kicked on this season. Looks a very complete striker now and scoring on a regular basis.
Watching him every week, there’s still a long way to go. In our system, our striker is required to play back to goal and Pedro really struggles with this. He isn’t physically strong enough (mentioned by De Zerbi in the post match interview yesterday) and has a lot to learn in playing that role.

However, he is night and day when facing the opposition goal and running at defenders - like a different player. He would be playing on our left side if it weren’t for Mitoma, and looks generally a lot better in wider positions cutting in.

Interesting to note that he is the Europa League leading scorer with 5 goals in 5 games, but 4 of these were penalties - all of which he won himself.

He’s a good player for us, but has elements of his game which clearly need improvement if he were to reach a top level.

SER19

Does anybody else like the look of him? As a potential signing I mean.

Hes only 22, has already had 5 years in England and is on 18 goals this season in all competitions.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Hes only 22, has already had 5 years in England and is on 18 goals this season in all competitions.
Slightly inflated.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse

he’s not even allowed to sign for us professionally if you go by the mantra of “you’re only as old as the woman you feel.”

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant

No, he's good but not that good. Ferguson's a far better prospect with much more to his game.

There's nothing exceptional about Pedro (aside from penalty kicks this season).

Righteous Steps

He looks like he would be a great False 9 for the right team, still reservations about his goalscoring in open play but he has everything else.

Nickosaur

No, he's good but not that good. Ferguson's a far better prospect with much more to his game.

There's nothing exceptional about Pedro (aside from penalty kicks this season).
I'd argue there is a lot to his game that is exceptional. His overall build-up play, close control and dribbling is excellent. He looks a more complete player than Ferguson, albeit not as good a finisher.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I'd argue there is a lot to his game that is exceptional. His overall build-up play, close control and dribbling is excellent. He looks a more complete player than Ferguson, albeit not as good a finisher.
I agree with this. He is very confident on the ball, extremely involved and his movement is hard to track. I think he will be at a big side some time in 2025.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
You have a lower bar than me for what's exceptional and excellent then.

And he's definitely not more 'complete' than Ferguson.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
I agree with this. He is very confident on the ball, extremely involved and his movement is hard to track. I think he will be at a big side some time in 2025.
He may be, but not at United.

He's been a great signing for Brighton but you'd hope the new regime will be aiming higher than Pedro.

Last edited: