Joe Hugill | 2023/24 Performances | Burton (loan)

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
What a great first touch to get him away and a superb finish to match

Marwood

Lovely first touch and finish.

I like the look of him. Think a lot will depend how he progresses physically.

Kostov

Can this kid realistically offer us an option in the future so we don't have to buy someone like Zirkzee for 50m?

Wing Attack Plan R

Hugill did everything right in that goal, what a goal it was! He peels off early to open up space, jinks the defender so he can run in behind, his first touch is perfect, then he squares up to the near post and shapes like he's going far post, sells the keeper and rolls it in. Amazing goal. I hope he tears it up on loan because I think we could have used him now in the first team. Hopefully this loan lets him get stronger against better opposition and preps him for rejoining the first team in the summer.

Acquire Me

Loved that goal. Impressive to stay so calm when he got so much time to think(overthink).

Woziak

Hugill did everything right in that goal, what a goal it was! He peels off early to open up space, jinks the defender so he can run in behind, his first touch is perfect, then he squares up to the near post and shapes like he's going far post, sells the keeper and rolls it in. Amazing goal. I hope he tears it up on loan because I think we could have used him now in the first team. Hopefully this loan lets him get stronger against better opposition and preps him for rejoining the first team in the summer.
Yep he was originally touted as a similar striker to a young Harry Kane, he needs developing and then hopefully rejoining us in the summer where he could bro a useful 3rd choice option for 6 months then go on loan to a championship or PL team.

Hughes35

Can this kid realistically offer us an option in the future so we don't have to buy someone like Zirkzee for 50m?
Well no if we're honest. I know some players are late developers but when was the last time a 21 year old was playing for a club like Burton and ended up being a striker at a top top team. Very rare unfortunately.

BellionsBalloon

Well no if we're honest. I know some players are late developers but when was the last time a 21 year old was playing for a club like Burton and ended up being a striker at a top top team. Very rare unfortunately.
Situation wise, Harry Kane couldn't get a game for Norwich at 20 years old & scored 2 in 13 for Leicester at the same age.

poleglass red

Top clubs will be looking at Ivan Toney, at 21 he was on loan at Scunthorpe and Wigan, Ollie Watkins at 21 was league 2 with Exeter. The Harry Kane situation at a similar age has already been mentioned. I don't know enough about the lads ability to judge him, but I wouldn't be using his age against him.

teague

It actually seems to happen a lot with strikers. Kane, Vardy, Drogba, Ian Wright, Luca Toni, Immobile were all playing at a pretty low level in their early 20s.

Marwood

Well he's a young Manchester United player on his first loan at Burton. It's not quite the same as some random Burton player rising up through the ranks.

But quite often it takes goalscorers time. Our best two goal getting strikers over the last 30 years are probably Cole and RVN. Look at their early careers.

Hughes35

Well he's a young Manchester United player on his first loan at Burton. It's not quite the same as some random Burton player rising up through the ranks.

But quite often it takes goalscorers time. Our best two goal getting strikers over the last 30 years are probably Cole and RVN. Look at their early careers.
Fair points, I mean i'd absolutely love nothing more than to find our own Harry Kane !

Pronewbie

Peep
Correct me if I'm wrong but when I've watched him play for the seniors in preseason he strikes me as someone with great anticipation and movement but is a poor finisher who perhaps lack that bit of composure. He'd be a decent option for us if he improves that as his overall game is pretty sound.

Red00012

Correct me if I'm wrong but when I've watched him play for the seniors in preseason he strikes me as someone with great anticipation and movement but is a poor finisher who perhaps lack that bit of composure. He'd be a decent option for us if he improves that as his overall game is pretty sound.
I disagree, I don’t see anything in him that suggests he can make it here .

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Taken off at HT and doesn't appear to have had a good game according to the ratings. Anyone know any more?

Last edited:

Red00012

Taken off at HT and doesn't appear to have had a good good according to the ratings. Anyone know any more?
I checked their forum and all it says that he was isolated on his own up top . The forward that came on for him also in on loan I believe lasted 4 mins and went off through injury .

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I checked their forum and all it says that he was isolated on his own up top . The forward that came on for him also in on loan I believe lasted 4 mins and went off through injury .
Thanks, I assumed that might have been the case.

PSV

It also looks like he's playing in a team that can't pass the ball to save their lives.

Burton's passing in the three games he's featured in:

134 passes, 61% accuracy (vs 426, 81%) against Cambridge.
130 passes, 52% accuracy (vs 537, 82%) against Charlton.
137 passes, 54% accuracy (vs 380, 80%) against Derby.

Are they a set piece and/or counter-attack team?