Joe Hugill | 2023/24 Performances | Burton (loan)

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

Full Name: Joseph Brennen Hugill
Date of Birth: Oct 19, 2003
Nationality: England

Height: 188cm
Position: Attack - Centre-Forward
Foot: Right
Player Agent: CAA Base Ltd
Contract Expires: Jun 30, 2024​

Wrecking ralf

Hope he starts tomorrow. With sufficient service it’d be good to see where he’s at with his development. He’s potentially a very good striker.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He started off his United career like a house on fire. Then the injuries piled up and losing development time... Had really hoped he would have kicked on by now.

Sylar

Good goal, good finish. Assuming a loan for him? I was wondering surely we had some youth who was at the very least, not worse than Wout.

Side note, but the commentators saying he was given offside when the linesman didnt even look close to flagging in the replay was bizarre AF.

Kostov

Good goal, good finish. Assuming a loan for him? I was wondering surely we had some youth who was at the very least, not worse than Wout.

Side note, but the commentators saying he was given offside when the linesman didnt even look close to flagging in the replay was bizarre AF.
No slight on ETH but surely this kid would have done better than Wout did.

Sylar

Was thinking, wasnt he on loan last season, but he got loaned in Feb after we brought in WW.
I still feel that ETH probably thought Martial would be available more than he was, and WW would be used just to give Martial a break (like we did near the end of the season). We ended up having to use WW more than we intended (although that doesnt excuse starting Bruno on the wing and WW as a number 10 v LIverpool, but thats another story and going of on another tangent)

Kostov

Was thinking, wasnt he on loan last season, but he got loaned in Feb after we brought in WW.
I still feel that ETH probably thought Martial would be available more than he was, and WW would be used just to give Martial a break (like we did near the end of the season). We ended up having to use WW more than we intended (although that doesnt excuse starting Bruno on the wing and WW as a number 10 v LIverpool, but thats another story and going of on another tangent)
Yes I think he was loaned, then the other kid number 9 also went out on loan Charlie McNeill. Anyway, I was surprised that both are turning 20 this fall, I thought they are very highly rated and younger.

OverratedOpinion

I think it's pretty easy to say that with hindsight but at the time I think most of us thought that Wout would score us a handful of goals and his pressing would be very helpful.

Marwood

Definitely got the instinct but how is he still built like that? Surely he and the people at the club know there's almost zero chance of making it at this level when you're that slight.

Kostov

I think it's pretty easy to say that with hindsight but at the time I think most of us thought that Wout would score us a handful of goals and his pressing would be very helpful.
Not sure about that. I think many on here saw it as it was, a lazy transfer with very little expectations. Dutch, number 9 and available, bring him in.

OverratedOpinion

Not sure about that. I think many on here saw it as it was, a lazy transfer with very little expectations. Dutch, number 9 and available, bring him in.
I think if you go back to the thread from when we signed him the overall view was that we all knew he wasn't the long term solution but would be good short term cover for a few months.

It did sort of make sense. He had just played for Holland in the world cup. He had a great goalscoring record everywhere apart from a crap club being relegated and he is great at pressing.

I am pretty sure there weren't many posts calling for Hughill to play instead.

Kostov

I think if you go back to the thread from when we signed him the overall view was that we all knew he wasn't the long term solution but would be good short term cover for a few months.

It did sort of make sense. He had just played for Holland in the world cup. He had a great goalscoring record everywhere apart from a crap club being relegated and he is great at pressing.

No, you are right there were not. However I do remember many asking for a big money striker signing even back in January and not Wout, pointing out that he will be a waste of time and space. But that's for another thread.

Retrospectively I think Wout was an absolute failure and a lesson to be learned for future situation. Rather give some kid those minutes instead of wasting time on short term loans like that one.

Hoof the ball

Definitely got the instinct but how is he still built like that? Surely he and the people at the club know there's almost zero chance of making it at this level when you're that slight.
Saka is also slight and he doesn't have problems with the physicality. Build isn't the whole story.

Different people have varying levels of exoskeletal muscle strength and power. Sometimes a skinnier person can have more strength than a bulkier person simply due to existing genetic factors.

Marwood

Saka is also slight and he doesn't have problems with the physicality. Build isn't the whole story.

Different people have varying levels of exoskeletal muscle strength and power. Sometimes a skinnier person can have more strength than a bulkier person simply due to existing genetic factors.
Ok. Can you name me some top strikers as skinny as Hugill?

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/wout-weghorst.474895/page-21#post-29957127

'No thanks. Would rather give Hugill or McNeill a chance if it came to it.'

Idxomer

Both Hugil and McNeill failed during their loans in National League and League 2.

Weghorst was bad but it would've been mad to go with either of these two.

Golden Nugget

Both Hugil and McNeill failed during their loans in National League and League 2.

Weghorst was bad but it would've been mad to go with either of these two.
Yep. If we had kept one or both of the two it’ll be threads saying what is ETH doing and why didn’t we sign Weghorst - he’s banging them in for Besiktas and scored two against Argentina

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Ok. Can you name me some top strikers as skinny as Hugill?
Seem to remember this lad being alright

Peter Crouch of course being the obvious choice for tall and skinny. And, whilst I really don't think Hugill is anything special, tbf people are only comparing him with Weghorst who's probably the worst striker I've seen at United that I can remember. Bellion had pace, Lukaku scored goals, Webber had decent technique and physicality... Weghorst was a good character but really should have been playing centre half or something. I'm sure Hugill would have been crap, but the only question is how crap.

Marwood

Seem to remember this lad being alright

Peter Crouch of course being the obvious choice for tall and skinny. And, whilst I really don't think Hugill is anything special, tbf people are only comparing him with Weghorst who's probably the worst striker I've seen at United that I can remember. Bellion had pace, Lukaku scored goals, Webber had decent technique and physicality... Weghorst was a good character but really should have been playing centre half or something. I'm sure Hugill would have been crap, but the only question is how crap.
Yeah but if you have to go back 25 years to the Italian league and use the king of all goal poachers that should tell you something.

I suppose what I mean is why not give yourself every chance of making it at United. Put a bit of muscle on, it can only help. To be built like that and be CF for a top team would be a very rare occurrence.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Nothing like him in terms pf physique but I'm talking about today's game.
In todays modern game I can’t think of an equivalent. Doesn’t mean that something different doesn’t work, remains to be seen.
Personally I don’t think he’s gonna make it at this level anyway

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Yeah but if you have to go back 25 years to the Italian league and use the king of all goal poachers that should tell you something.

I suppose what I mean is why not give yourself every chance of making it at United. Put a bit of muscle on, it can only help. To be built like that and be CF for a top team would be a very rare occurrence.
To be built like that in general isn't all that common though. From the fairly recent, glorious past at United you could also look at Fletcher, Giggs, Keane, Neville for example, none of them were enormous but they were all tough enough. Wiry strength is definitely a thing. Even Saka, ok he's slightly bigger now but a couple of years ago he was scrawny as anything yet still tough to knock off the ball.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I know you're giving yourself a pat on the back but just scrolled through that page and the one after and it proved my point pretty decisively.
True, your point was right. Also Hugill could likely not have contributed to overall play as Weghorst did anyway.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
This is striker. Endangered species. Currently there are more Tapanuli orangutans in the world, than strikers in United.

Make sure to take DNA sample, after club loans him out and he never comes back.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Nothing like him in terms pf physique but I'm talking about today's game.
Back in the day there was Flo, Crouch, Fowler and then loads of little fast or skilful guys. Anything can work as long as you know how to hit the back of the net. look at how different Cantona was to Ruud who was to yorke or cole and Rooney and so on? Not that I’m comparing Hugil to those guys. He’ll be doing well to be a good championship striker in the future I’d say even though I had very high hopes when he came in first.

Marwood

Back in the day there was Flo, Crouch, Fowler and then loads of little fast or skilful guys. Anything can work as long as you know how to hit the back of the net. look at how different Cantona was to Ruud who was to yorke or cole and Rooney and so on? Not that I’m comparing Hugil to those guys. He’ll be doing well to be a good championship striker in the future I’d say even though I had very high hopes when he came in first.
Yeah but we're talkng about todays game, where teams play with one up front against some real athletes. Player comparisons from 25 years ago seem a bit irrelevant.

You might get away with being stick thin if you have another outstanding attribute like crazy pace but Hughill doesn't have that either.

It's not a criticism of Hughill as such nor do I like it when players bulk up too much.

But you see it with a bunch of young players, their physique at 24 is the same as it was at 18 and you wonder is that really giving themselves the best chance.

I really liked Garner as a young player but he was the same, never physically developed.

Strelok

Send him to Bayern they'd make him into Joe Hulk in no time.

Ace of Spades

I think even if we sign Hojlund, we should keep him around the squad. With Martial's fitness issues, another actual no.9 is needed.

Don't think we have the money to buy another CF.

NoPace

I think even if we sign Hojlund, we should keep him around the squad. With Martial's fitness issues, another actual no.9 is needed.

Don't think we have the money to buy another CF.
Yeah, we looked unbalanced in attack after the first 5 minutes of intense pressing. Hugill at least did striker-y things, and since Martial is never healthy and Rashford might be needed at LW I could definitely see him sticking around as the 4th choice #9 and actually being on the bench when Martial is out and Rashford and the new striker both start a match, which might well be a lot of the time if whoever we sign (looks like Hoijlund at the minute) wins the #9 job, since in that case you'd expect Rashford to start on the left.

Ace of Spades

Yeah, we looked unbalanced in attack after the first 5 minutes of intense pressing. Hugill at least did striker-y things, and since Martial is never healthy and Rashford might be needed at LW I could definitely see him sticking around as the 4th choice #9 and actually being on the bench when Martial is out and Rashford and the new striker both start a match, which might well be a lot of the time if whoever we sign (looks like Hoijlund at the minute) wins the #9 job, since in that case you'd expect Rashford to start on the left.
Agreed, and it is not too much to ask to replicate Wout from last year.

Sylar

We defo look better balanced when he was on. Its nice to have an actual striker rather than trying to put somebody there just because they are older.