Wout Weghorst

Status
Not open for further replies.

9 Stone Elvis

Strangely coming round to this signing. We know EtH likes tall centre forwards after Haller and Arnautovic, so he has enough credit in the bank for me to trust his decision on this and the over all plan. It's obviously a stop gap and he can easily score some crucial goals for us from set pieces when we need them most.
I think its also interesting to point out that Arnautovic was met with horror when he was suggested and off the field issues proved a useful get out, the guy is second top scorer in Italy and could have come in for £10m and I suspect with hindsight would have done a decent job for us in a similar way to how we are now looking that Weighorst. I think its quite possible that Ten Hag may actually know what he is doing and has a bit of a plan for various budgets and situations - a welcome change for us.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
People who write this off as underwhelming, it seems don't seem to understand football tbh.

It's January, we are being sold, we have tight owners, who do we expect to land? Kane? Mbappe.

He will be fine, a decent addition to the squad

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
People who write this off as underwhelming, it seems don't seem to understand football tbh.

It's January, we are being sold, we have tight owners, who do we expect to land? Kane? Mbappe.

He will be fine, a decent addition to the squad
While I agree with you, I don't think it's fair to classify posters who say WW is underwhelming as ignorant. It's their opinion.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Burnleys finest. Absolutely screams United quality.

Yes I’m fully aware as a supporter of Chelsea I shouldn’t laugh… but I will.
Laugh it up. You're tenth in the league mate. Fulham have won more games than you.

Rojofiam

I've read just 2 replies and it's already making me regret logging in 2 minutes ago

1. Ten Hag spent 250m on 5 new first team players last summer, how is that not backing him?

2. Can you all please forget about Félix? He's not a proper #9, he's closer to being a #10 actually. Pointless signings are probably worse than no signings at all.

JohnnyKills

It's quite clearly a short-term signing to get us to the summer and see us through the change in ownership. Another Ighalo, in other words.

I'm fine with it tbh. Rely on Rashford and Martial for the league and bring Weighorst in for cup ties and close-out missions at the end of league games.

WPMUFC

It wouldn't be a United transfer if there wasn't some complication
true, :lol: but i'd imagine Besiktas are probably negotiating a pay out with Burnley. All these clips of him post-match would suggest his agent has told him MUFC-burnley agreed a deal.

Wrecking ralf

People will scoff at this, but the truth is that we have limited cash in the bank, and we need a number 9 to lead the line for the remaining 4 months of the season. Weghorst is a huge, ball playing target man. He caused us alsorts of problems at turf moor. He was decent in the World Cup and has scored 9 goals with 4 assists for Besiktas this season. Ten Hag proved what he could do with Haller last season, so I will trust him 100%
Martial is injury prone, and is not an natural number 9. He doesn’t make those runs into the box, he doesn’t anticipate mistakes, and he doesn’t give central defenders a torid time like a 6ft 5 Weghorst would, so let’s roll the dice and see what happens.
There is a video of chances set up by Bruno that we’ve fluffed this season. It’d be an idea for people to watch that and consider how many of those chances Weghorst would have finished. There’s are a few in the last couple of games(header’s especially) that would have been goals had it not been Martial on the end of them. I’m quite excited to see how he does should we bring him in.

fallengt

Besiktas trying to act tough in front of their supporters.
WW wouldn't say good bye if it wasn't done deal :lol:

Keanes Magic Hat

Yes he’s not good enough and not a long term option but will he add an extra dimension to squad and add cover yes. I’m fine with it and he will probably score a few goals given quality of delivery with with Eriksen and Fernandes.

Edwards6

Well at least he's a striker so it's a better signing than Felix on loan, yes he was shit at Burnley but look what Ten Hag did with Haller after he failed at West Ham

Erik the Red

We could do a lot worse than sign Kieffer Moore as a stop gap. He is a perfect ETH striker, a target man that gets stuck in. He has a release clause of €6m, but could definitely do a job for us.

If we sign young players like Sesko and / or Moukoko in the Summer, I think Kieffer Moore would be a great role model of someone who has worked hard his whole career, and at the age of 30, finally makes it to the Premier League and to the World Cup.
The Dutch Kieffer Moore!!! This signing makes so much sense, I can't believe no-one called it here in the cafe.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
No commitment yeah, but also I always thinks it's a bit daft to do a loan and not have a buy option in there. What if he scores say 30 goals!? Would be annoying for us to add $$$ to his value but not reap the benefits ourselves.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I've been blathering on about wanting a big, old fashioned number 9 since last season. It's where this current football tactics cycle is going, hence City and Liverpool buying brute force 9s.

It's a great option against teams who sit in, get a set piece/scruffy goal where one player physically outmuscles/wins their battle with their defender.

Those usually lower placed teams will then have to come out, can't keep sitting in, then the counter will murder them.
Wow so simple.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Why can’t Burnley just recall him? You’d think they’d be able to tell besiktas to suck it

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
This is a STOP GAP SIGNING you moaning twats. He is here for 6 months because he fits the bill and does not cost a bomb.

Why the feck would so many of you wants us to sign a number 10 for 15m loan fee + 6m wages for 6 months (21m for 6 months means 210m for a standard 5 year contract for those of you who can't count), just so that we can play him out of position? Are you lot not fecking tired of plugging expensive square pegs into round holes?
I agree with you that it will be a waste of money, I also trust the manager's judgement and if he sees a place for Felix in the squad, we shouldn't really doubt him.

The days of square pegs into round holes are hopefully behind us when we had Ole and Jose as our managers who had no clue on how to buy players.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Why can’t Burnley just recall him? You’d think they’d be able to tell besiktas to suck it
I think any time a team pays a fee for a loan, the player can't be recalled (unless it's specifically put in the terms).

It's why we can't recall Henderson for example.

tbtt

WUM
Half of people here moaned like crazy about the Casemiro signing (too old, too expensive, even too average), so it's no wonder that people start compalining again. Just give ETH a target man. Playing Maguire as a target man is embarrassing, for both ETH and Maguire. If United had signed Arnautovic, it would have 5 more points by now, I guess. A classic target man, even an average one, will make the ten Hag ball even more interesting.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
What a load of nonsense! One hand tied behind his back? He brought in £250m of players he chose himself in his first window at the club!
First of all, not his fault that the club managed to buy £180m worth of players for £250 million. He also shouldn't be the one solely responsible for choosing and picking players, that's not his primary job. He also had to deal with Ronaldo issue and now doesn't have money to spend on players going into this window while having as in top 4 with 4 points behind City.

I think Weghorst is a solid option and could be a good stop-gap solution. so am all for this, but let's not pretend Ten Hag is in some ideal position here. He had a lot of things going against him and still has. Even with Weghorst we are one injury away (Rashford, Bruno, Martial) from a potential crisis in attack if Sancho doesn't return.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
We did pay a loan fee for Dubravka, right?
Aye, so I imagine either a) there was an agreement they could do that or b) they put in a request to recall and we said yes 'cos we didn't care. Either way, Newcastle almost certainly will have had to pay us half or all of that money back.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
No thanks.

Would rather give Hugill or McNeill a chance if it came to it.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
First of all, not his fault that the club managed to buy £180m worth of players for £250 million.
This is nonsense. He insisted on Antony and Martinez - Ajax knew that - and took us to the cleaners hence why we overpaid. I love ETH but I’m getting sick and tired of this notion that everyone above him is incompetent and haven’t supported him. Firstly, they hired an interim to wait until the summer to get the right man when everyone in the media was screaming for Conte and then they hired him over Pochetino - they also absolutely backed him to the hilt in the summer - too much in many ways as the FDJ pursuit went on too long and we had Casemiro simmering all summer - but he insisted. The people at the club deserve some credit.

Member 125398

On the plus side, he'll be used to Dutch training methods etc.. so should be able to hit the ground running.

Status
Not open for further replies.