John McGinn

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
I think he's quality personally. Every time I watch him against the top dogs he's almost always a stand out.

OleGunnar20

Would be a midfield Maguire, in my opinion. Overpriced, average at best and painfully obvious. Give a 14 year old a copy of Football manager and half an hour and they'd have a dozen more interesting picks for the role.

Seriously, we need to learn our lesson already. Sky high prices for average 'PL Proven' players is not a sustainable model. Scouts need to be utilised and then trusted.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I think he's quality personally. Every time I watch him against the top dogs he's almost always a stand out.
He's no more consistent than any of our other midfielders. And he's not a DM.

Bobski

He's no more consistent than any of our other midfielders. And he's not a DM.
No, he is an attacking midfielder but one who has the workrate and pressing to be quite effective in different phases.

Interesting option, gets around the pitch, aggressive can dribble out of tight areas, has a goal threat, his passing might be a bit limited though.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
No, he is an attacking midfielder but one who has the workrate and pressing to be quite effective in different phases.

Interesting option, gets around the pitch, aggressive can dribble out of tight areas, has a goal threat, his passing might be a bit limited though.
His passing and shooting are very good. Sometimes. And sometimes they're awful. Which is the opposite of what we need.

Kag

He’d be like a Scottish, less stupid, and probably better version of Fred, albeit not what we really need at all.

McGinn is a good player, but we need somebody who can actually sit in front of the defence before we think about bringing in another #8.

Bobski

His passing and shooting are very good. Sometimes. And sometimes they're awful. Which is the opposite of what we need.
True, he has moments of real high quality then he will have a spell of looking like a championship player. If he loses a bit of that energy and fitness his level could crater.

redshaw

We do need to scout better and also even try these promising players. He went for 2.7 million a few years ago and recently signed a new deal. We always seem to be interested in players that have way too long on their contract. Same with Maguire, he was at Hull and our Mike Phelan was there, he won player of the season. Then moves to Leicester for 12 mill, wins player of the season and we only make a bid after he signs a new deal at Leicester for an eye watering fee.

We buy back Pogba for 90m who went on a free. Sign Sancho for 72m and actually made a bid around 90 million the season before, Dortmund bought him for peanuts.

We buy Fred out of the Ukrainian league for 50 fecking million, waste 40 mill on Donny and now people want us to get Rice and Bellingham for 200m.

Ogaranya

He is average, our recruitment policy is comical at times, why going to splash over £40m again on a player who is well suited to a midtable club, why are the likes of Klopp and Pep not going after him.

Let's focus on real technically sound players, Bissouma or Tchouameni for energy in the midfield, Lyon Aouar for creativity in the middle of the park, Tielesmann for good passing and possession retaining ability.

Hughie77

Good player, press bolocks and i think UTD should be setting there bar higher than Mcginn.
That's were UTD have gone wrong buying nearly good enough UTD need very good enough. And he's not long signed a contract at Villa so he going knowhere .

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I don't get the issue with people about McGinn. If we believe in the likes of Hannibal and we're losing the experience of Matic, Pogba, Mata - why not add someone who's prem proven to the squad? I doubt he'd be our only midfield signing based on who's likely to leave.

Abraxas

I don't get the issue with people about McGinn. If we believe in the likes of Hannibal and we're losing the experience of Matic, Pogba, Mata - why not add someone who's prem proven to the squad? I doubt he'd be our only midfield signing based on who's likely to leave.
The issue is he'd come at a premium, they're not going to give him away for the exact reasons you mention, he's an experienced, proven player who is important to them and that the new manager clearly rates highly.

It's not some punt, it has to work as he'd command a significant portion of our budget. Not good enough for that in my opinion.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
The issue is he'd come at a premium, they're not going to give him away for the exact reasons you mention, he's an experienced, proven player who is important to them and that the new manager clearly rates highly.

It's not some punt, it has to work as he'd command a significant portion of our budget. Not good enough for that in my opinion.
I said earlier in this thread, their midfield will be most likely built around Ramsey and Luiz, whilst bringing Chukwumeuka through. Also with rumours of Bissouma and Bentancur being looked at, I think they would be more reasonable than you think.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He is average, our recruitment policy is comical at times, why going to splash over £40m again on a player who is well suited to a midtable club, why are the likes of Klopp and Pep not going after him.

Let's focus on real technically sound players, Bissouma or Tchouameni for energy in the midfield, Lyon Aouar for creativity in the middle of the park, Tielesmann for good passing and possession retaining ability.
Bissouma might need all his energy for running around jail

OmarUnited4ever

I said earlier in this thread, their midfield will be most likely built around Ramsey and Luiz, whilst bringing Chukwumeuka through. Also with rumours of Bissouma and Bentancur being looked at, I think they would be more reasonable than you think.
They may be reasonable to a team like Westham or Wolves, but they would definitely ask for a premium if any of the big 4 (City, United, Liverpool or Chelsea) approaches them for McGinn. (see Grealish)

I also think McGinn will be a key player for Gerrard and AV's ambitions

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
They may be reasonable to a team like Westham or Wolves, but they would definitely ask for a premium if any of the big 4 (City, United, Liverpool or Chelsea) approaches them for McGinn. (see Grealish)

I also think McGinn will be a key player for Gerrard and AV's ambitions
McGinn is not like Grealish. They only bought him for 3m and he's 28 next year. For both club and player this is the last chance:

Last chance the club will probably get a fee over 20m for him and last chance he has at a move to a bigger club.

I can't imagine McGinn would be happy if they outrageously priced him out of a step up.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
would you take mcginn and rice? 130 million for both? :nervous:
£130m to have nowhere near the best midfield in the league is shades of us spending £130m to have nowhere near the best defence in the league.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
To be honest the more I wrote out, I realise this is probably just us being used to get him a new contract.

Abraxas

These are your ideas though, from what the manager is saying he likes McGinn. I don't think he sees it that he's alright to lose him because he's got Ramsey (who is still very young), Luiz as a DM and some other young lad. Managers generally want to build on their best players, and they're a club that's not short of cash.

To be honest I think your reading makes little sense except that he's 28 and yes it is a chance to cash in, but that's if they actually want to. I think it would be a begrudgingly made sale and would represent a good portion of our budget, keeping in mind we spent a bit over 100 million last summer. That could be fairly indicative of what we might do again.

I think he's good I just don't see an outstanding candidate in McGinn. I think our scouting have to be doing better than a relatively safe but not very extraordinary signing like this. I can't see how it really kicks us on.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
These are your ideas though, from what the manager is saying he likes McGinn. I don't think he sees it that he's alright to lose him because he's got Ramsey (who is still very young), Luiz as a DM and some other young lad. Managers generally want to build on their best players, and they're a club that's not short of cash.

To be honest I think your reading makes little sense except that he's 28 and yes it is a chance to cash in, but that's if they actually want to. I think it would be a begrudgingly made sale and would represent a good portion of our budget, keeping in mind we spent a bit over 100 million last summer. That could be fairly indicative of what we might do again.
I know he's basically fast tracked Chukwumeuka to the first team as they are trying to convince him to sign a deal and find it a bit odd that there are rumours of more midfielders coming out. It is guess work though, you're right.

The more I think about it, it's probably likely him trying to get his last big contract, but we would probably take him at a good price.

Jericholyte2

would you take mcginn and rice? 130 million for both? :nervous:
£130m to have nowhere near the best midfield in the league is shades of us spending £130m to have nowhere near the best defence in the league.
How about £130m on Rice and Tielemans? £80m for Rice and £50m for Tielemans (based on Rodgers admitting that they pretty much know he’s leaving to further his progression soon plus only having a year left on his contract).