John Stones Over rated

Treble

Not bad but he and Walker have a mistake in them. Same for shitty when put under pressure.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Thought he was excellent this tournament and has shown that he has progressed a lot in the past year or two. Will be an England regular for many years to come.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Fine margins, he was almost the guy that scored the winner for us only to be cleared off the line.

Thought he had an excellent tournament overall, still young and hopefully improves - although Pep as manager is not encouraging as City seem to have a hard on for having so many CB's. Think he should leave.

cyberman

When Colombia and Croatia both turned the screw the passing from the back disappeared.
Stones could have stepped up to take control but maybe that comes with experience

0le

The reality is, if Jones or Smalling were playing, we would not have fared much better.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I don't think he is overrated because I don't think I've seen any normal fan really hype him up. Other than his transfer fee implying he is world class (but then again, City splurges 50m on CBs like I order bagels) and maybe some random media hype I don't think most fans see him as anything more than a good but inconsistent young player.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Thought he was excellent this tournament and has shown that he has progressed a lot in the past year or two. Will be an England regular for many years to come.
He was never really tested! I rooted for you guys but their inexperience proved vital (or lack of) in the end, surprising as Stones has had a few years at the top to improve!

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Like it or not, he and Maguire are the future of our defence. By for the most talented of the lot.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Stones and Maguire were fantastic throughout this tournament. I don't think Stones was expecting Trippier to not even try and win the header, and just to try and push him with both arms instead.

Leif GW

Stones was embarrasingly lazy on the Croatia winning goal.

SambaBoy

Lazy defending for the goal but had a good tournament overall, and definitely better than the alternative options.

criticalanalysis

When Colombia and Croatia both turned the screw the passing from the back disappeared.
Stones could have stepped up to take control but maybe that comes with experience
That's true but he had literally one midfielder in front of him and three no. 10s even further away.

You can only play as good as your weakest link, which is why all things considered this has been a good tournament from England but Southgate must address the midfield problem. Ali, Sterling and Lingard are not players who help control a game or can relieve the press. They are the type to play on the transitions and breaks.

Ekeke

The most irritating part of this tournament was people whining about how Smalling should have been selected. As if he's prime Baresi.
No, but he can defend which England showed tonight in the only match where they were made to defend, that they cant

Its said that the 3 at the back for England were selected because of their composure and passing. They lost their composure and used longballs and rash clearances just like Smalling would have on his worst day

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
No, but he can defend which England showed tonight in the only match where they were made to defend, that they cant

Its said that the 3 at the back for England were selected because of their composure and passing. They lost their composure and used longballs and rash clearances just like Smalling would have on his worst day
They can all defend.

Smalling can't defend without roughhousing, and he is literally useless with the ball. It would have been madness to have him in the team and have the opposition exploit his inability to keep plays alive.

England made it this far partly due to the composure in play which was aided by how the back 3 kept the ball ticking. Plus their great defending.

Ekeke

They can all defend.

Smalling can't defend without roughhousing, and he is literally useless with the ball. It would have been madness to have him in the team and have the opposition exploit his inability to keep plays alive.

England made it this far partly due to the composure in play which was aided by how the back 3 kept the ball ticking. Plus their great defending.
Yes he can. He can also defend a run in behind him. They havent had to defend until today where they showed that a little bit of pressure and all the composure and passing is gone.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
They can all defend.

There's a reason of why Pickford was considered as the best England player. He made save after save, and most part of it, due to these "great defenders" guarding him are not that great, as you suggest.

Once they are under pressure, they start to crumble and back to hoofing ball. They may make nice passes here and there, but I don't know how you can say they are "great" on defending. Why would England need 3 CBs if they all are so "great"?

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The most irritating part of this tournament was people whining about how Smalling should have been selected. As if he's prime Baresi.
Irritating part is whenever England won, people started to shit post in Smalling's thread on how England wouldn't have won with Smalling or played the way they did. When pressed all the passing from the back disappeared and they went route 1. It's not a bad thing to do but some of the posts in Smalling thread was just poor and agenda driven.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's still young isn't he? I thought he had a good tournament, the poor finishing was England's down fall last night, not the centre backs.

Robbie Boy

I think he’s miles better than Maguire who constantly dicks around on the ball and thinks he’s a modern day Baresi.

ROFLUTION

Stones always has a big error in him waiting to happen.

And its always due to lack of concentration- his mind is just somewhere else sometimes.

The reality is, if Jones or Smalling were playing, we would not have fared much better.
We would not have been in the semi final. Nothing wrong with going route 1 but it took serious pressure to resort to that, we have been very good at building from the back this tournament.

Besides, Smalling is not without his deer in the headlights moments and he is very prone to standing there whilst a teammate struggles with a situation. I'd have taken him to Russia as an option but he would not have played much.

Stones had a good tournament. The mistakes will always be there but until we find someone who can play and defend equally well we are stuck with him.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I never understood the idea that a defender "always has a mistake in him", surely they all do?
Umtiti, Ramos, Walker, Boateng, Toby et al, have all made mistakes that have led up to a goal in this tournament alone - but they aren't what is typically described as players with a "mistake in them"

It just seems like a cop out to describe certain players, while conveniently ignoring other defenders who have a better reputation, but still make mistakes.

That being said, I don't rate Stones that highly.

CA1

I thought he had an excellent tournament for England.

Revan

Assumptionman
Terrible mistake but he has had a decent tournament, and rightly will continue being in England's first XI.

dbs235

I couldn't watch the game today, but the BBC said Stones was fantastic, is that right?