Jonny Evans | 2011/12 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Widnes

Personally I always knew he was this good. He was very unfairly scapegoated at times last season, and particularly after the City game this season.

He's a class centre half, always had the ability, just needed to show it consistently. Has been superb this season, and as has been said, has stepped in for the best centre half in the country and hasn't looked out of place.

Another thing too, plenty thought Smalling and Jones were going to be our centreback pairing for years to come, they're going to have to play superbly well to dislodge Evans. I'd suggest when everyone is fit and well it's going to be very hard to leave Evans out.
True it could be Rio and Vidic rotating, who saw that coming

The Neviller

Vidic is number 1 if he comes back anything like the player he was. I'd put Rio ahead of Evans due to the understanding he has with Vidic, but on form Evans probably deserves to play ahead of Rio. Its a tough one
Yeah I didn't suggest in my post that Evans would be first choice or anything, Vidic when fit is the number 1 by quite a way, Evans on current form gives Fergie a difficult decision to make. Smalling and Jones are now behind him in the pecking order, and at worst Evans is 3rd choice. Rio will be looking over his shoulder when everyone is fit.

Widnes

Vidic is number 1 if he comes back anything like the player he was. I'd put Rio ahead of Evans due to the understanding he has with Vidic, but on form Evans probably deserves to play ahead of Rio. Its a tough one
I think realisticly Rio and Vidic will play whenever fit, but Rio has fitness issues and Vidic is heading into his 30's on the back of a serious injury, I wouldn't be shocked if Evans plays more matches than any of our defenders next season

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
It's strange. Jones somehow 'looked' better out there, but it was Evans who actually was doing the better defending. Jones just has that natural look to him whereas Evans has that uncoordinated look.
It sounded weird but I do agree with him.

Jones oozes class, even if he's not doing anything. Evans looks awkward from time to time.
There was nothing awkward or uncoordinated about Evans' performance yesterday, nor did Jones ooze class in comparison. And that's no dig at Phil, he was good and will no doubt be a beast of a player. I call preconceived notions, Evans had a mediocre 10/11 while Jones is the exciting new kid on the block. Chances are the latter's gonna hit a rough patch at some stage too, but will it change the fact that he's a talented player?
I think they're just talking about their technique and stance. Some players just look classier on the ball. Smalling does, Jones does. Evans doesn't, but it has no bearing whatsoever on him as a player, just the way he looks.
From the Jones thread back in August. Wouldn't be surprised to have the exact opposite argument with these lads next season if Jones plays in the Olympics and needs a bit of time to shake of his jadedness. The lesson here, kids, is to not mix up ability, potential and form.

RedLars

I love it when he steps up and joins our attack, and the way Carrick slips back to cover. Adds a great bit of variety to our play.

I also laughed when he suddenly was down on the right wing putting in a cross in the first half!

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
He was below par the past few seasons, but he's had a hell of a year. He's got his confidence and knows he has competition for his spot, yet has held it down solidly.

Smalling, despite being fantastic, can't get a game either. That's a testament to Rio's fitness this season, as well.

fatboy

Evans, Smalling and Jones. We could be sorted out in central defence for almost the next 10 years. Glad we stuck with him, better than Pique.

fatboy

Smalling and Evans is the future, IMO. Jones has a different role to play
That's what I thought too. But after seeing Jones play in various positions, I'm not so sure. Maybe that natural energy is best used for surging runs from defence, as we've seen Rio and Smalling do from time to time. It takes the opposing players by surprise, thus making the runs more effective. I'm not sure it will look as good if he tries it from midfield. As for the right back position, Rafael is making a very strong case for himself.

I might be wrong of course, it'll be interesting to see how he develops in the next 1-2 seasons.

misterredmist

Johnny Evans is purring like a Rolls-Royce at the moment , really filling the Vidic void that I thought we could not have plugged

Neutral

BTV
There was a moment late in the 2nd half where he played a great give and go, and strode through the middle of the pitch and I thought it was Carrick/Cleverley for a minute.

Superb, just hope he can maintain this standard over the next month - though he continued his record of giving away a needless foul around the middle of the pitch for pushing a forward in the back :lol:

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
It's a great wonder what a sustained run of games can get you to.

He has always have the potential ever since I first noticed him a few years back. He just lost some confidence in the last year or so. I was one of those calling for his head after the City game to be honest. I am so glad he proved many of us here, including me, wrong. Fair play to him.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
A couple of times, his passing was outrageously good yesterday. Almost arrogant the way he played us out of defence.

His confidence gives him much more of a physical edge. I thought he was a bit below par vs Wigan(as the rest of the team), but he was back to his imperious best against a slightly useless Villa.

Best CB in the league this calendar year? Not many better at least..

mufcwarm92

Yesterday he just seemed so confident, comfortable on the ball, strong in the air and able to pick a clever pass. Such a contrast to last season at times, where he looked a little out of his depth. I'm delighted for him because with the talent he has it would be a crying shame if he didn't develop into a top, top centre half. Fair play to him for turning it back around, he deserves all the praise he's getting.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
He has been close to scoring on several occassions as well. Would love to see him score more goals. One of Vidic and Rio will have a hard time sustaining their the first team CB status.

Widnes

He was below par the past few seasons, but he's had a hell of a year. He's got his confidence and knows he has competition for his spot, yet has held it down solidly.

Smalling, despite being fantastic, can't get a game either. That's a testament to Rio's fitness this season, as well.
You mean last season? he had only played a few seasons for us before this one and his first 2 was very good.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
He has massively improved this season and looks class when teams aren't pressing us high up the pitch. When players run at him he still looks vulnerable as Moses showed during the Wigan game.

Longsden_7

I am having a raging argument about how well he has come on the past two seasons, one person compared him to Andre Santos. Jonny is one of our own, will never be fully appreciated outside of OT.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
He has massively improved this season and looks class when teams aren't pressing us high up the pitch. When players run at him he still looks vulnerable as Moses showed during the Wigan game.
Who actually looks comfortable though when strong, pacy players like that run at them? There are not many, Victor Moses has looked a handful for any defender whenever i have seen him.

If he could lift his head up occasionally and start making the most of the positions he gets in, he could become a really good player in my view. Bit selfish and wasteful atm, but only 21 and time to learn.

Evans has been outstanding all season against better strikers than moses, occasionally he will look shaky if the team are not playing well and exposing him, but it won't be often and his alleged lack of pace has not been an issue at all this season that i can recall. He is either quicker than we thought or has excellent positional instincts, or maybe a bit of both, either way he has been consistently very impressive this year!

Liam147

On Probation
Who actually looks comfortable though when strong, pacy players like that run at them? There are not many, Victor Moses has looked a handful for any defender whenever i have seen him.

If he could lift his head up occasionally and start making the most of the positions he gets in, he could become a really good player in my view. Bit selfish and wasteful atm, but only 21 and time to learn.
He's 24.

He has had a good season as we'll all agree, but that's partly due to the run of games he's had with Ferdinand. You build up a partnership. It's no coincidence that our best defensive run has come with a steady back four, rather than the six and seven defenders we were using every two games pre January.

Which then begs the question, when Vidic is back in, will his development stall? Will he go backwards? I've noticed his ball skills have improved a lot when playing with Ferdinand, so perhaps he could take over from him next season? Obviously not every game, but those games which Rio needs resting in (which will become more frequent) Evans could perhaps fill the void.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
I am having a raging argument about how well he has come on the past two seasons, one person compared him to Andre Santos. Jonny is one of our own, will never be fully appreciated outside of OT.
Tbf though, most rival fans will look for negatives rather than positives regarding our young players. Let's face it there were many on here who wrote him off too early, i admit i was far from convinced myself this time last year! :nervous:

If he carries on like he has been no-one will be able to question him. His performances and consistency must rival anybody's this year. Maybe only Kompany could claim to have been at such a consistently high level for longer. If i were picking a team of the year Evans and Kompany would be the most impressive 2 CB's for me this season!

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
That bit was still about Moses Liam, should have clarified that better reading back. I know Evans is 24!

Which then begs the question, when Vidic is back in, will his development stall? Will he go backwards? I've noticed his ball skills have improved a lot when playing with Ferdinand, so perhaps he could take over from him next season? Obviously not every game, but those games which Rio needs resting in (which will become more frequent) Evans could perhaps fill the void.
If Evans carries on improving, then he will be in and it will be the rest fighting for a spot next to him.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I think Evans and vidic will be first choice. Ferdinand is a great player, but age and fitness mean for me he shouldnt be guaranteed first choice anymore - a luxury player if ever there was one.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I think Evans and vidic will be first choice. Ferdinand is a great player, but age and fitness mean for me he shouldnt be guaranteed first choice anymore - a luxury player if ever there was one.
He's more than a luxury player. I know he's getting older and has had his fitness worries, but he's been fine lately and when Vidic and him are available, they should be first choice for us without any shadow of a doubt.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
He's more than a luxury player. I know he's getting older and has had his fitness worries, but he's been fine lately and when Vidic and him are available, they should be first choice for us without any shadow of a doubt.
Luxury player isn't an insult - almost the opposite in fact. I just think with 3 quality CBs coming through plus Vidic, Rio is the one who needs to make way to not hinder their development.

Liam147

On Probation
That bit was still about Moses Liam, should have clarified that better reading back. I know Evans is 24!

If Evans carries on improving, then he will be in and it will be the rest fighting for a spot next to him.
Oh yeah, I should've read your post better. I don't think it's an absurd suggestion to think he could be partnering Vidic next season, with Rio coming into the team now and again. We play enough games a season for him to have 20 games and Evans still getting 40. It's all about him carrying his form into next season.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Luxury player isn't an insult - almost the opposite in fact. I just think with 3 quality CBs coming through plus Vidic, Rio is the one who needs to make way to not hinder their development.
I completely disagree. With Rio and Vidic, we've got a partnership that we know will be successful. For me, it would be suicidal for Fergie to simply break up their quality partnership in what could be it's last couple of years.

Evans would still get plenty of playing time anyway. Rio and Vidic wouldn't play every league game together, and we'd surely rotate in the Premier League and other competitions as well.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Evans should play all games for which he is fit he has been amazing this season.
Yes, but Ferdinand has been equally as good and we know how well he plays with Vidic, who should be the first name on the teamsheet when he's back fit.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Yes, but Ferdinand has been equally as good and we know how well he plays with Vidic, who should be the first name on the teamsheet when he's back fit.
Three or four months ago, you wouldn't have had too much argument from the Caf but it's a different world now. Rio has made a superb recovery after a ropey early season but Jonny is a different player than he's been at any stage in his career. More physicality, great on the ball, oozing confidence. Bar Kompany maybe, I wouldn't swap him for another centre half in the division. Alex will have a decision to make.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Three or four months ago, you wouldn't have had too much argument from the Caf but it's a different world now. Rio has made a superb recovery after a ropey early season but Jonny is a different player than he's been at any stage in his career. More physicality, great on the ball, oozing confidence. Bar Kompany maybe, I wouldn't swap him for another centre half in the division. Alex will have a decision to make.
He's undoubtedly improved, but I really don't see what he's done that's been any better than Rio if I'm being honest. Both have been on par with each other.

roseguy64

Quite simple really. Just play who's in form. If that means Vidic is on the bench then so be it. If Evans and Rio continue playing as well as they have done next season then it's not too much of a stretch to believe. But then Rio's injury problems might oust him.

surf

Yeah, a lot can change from one season to the next, even as a result of what happens in the pre-season training and games. Would have liked to see more of Smalling this time around. Shame about his injuries/illnesses. Hopefully he'll get a look in next season.

Evans has been great but he'll need to hit the ground running next season to keep ahead of the other 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.