View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

jesperjaap

Personally think he was fouled for the second goal and not blaming the goal or loss on him.

But the guy was barely good enough to be a squad player a decade ago. With the Varane injuries and Martinez ones, in terms of a squad signing I think a 3rd chocie centre back was on eof our pririoties this summer. Yet we have signed JOhnny Evans who is actually fa worse now than either Lindelof or Maguire, simply an absolutely terrible deal free or not

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
watching him today reminds me of certain Laurent Blanc playing for us in 2001, you just know Jonny like Blanc is not up for the job anymore because he's physically spent and slow. i dont know the rationality of re-signing him, we already have a slow CB in Maguire yet we added even slower one. Is it for his experience? Jonny had only played for mid and low table clubs since he left us, eventhen he wasnt really world beater was more like rotation if Vidic or Ferdinand was unavailable unlike Blanc who was WC & EURO winner, played for top teams, and was world class CB in his prime. Hopefully we'll see less and less of him in the future.
Didn’t Blanc play better the second season or am I misremembering?

antsmithmk

Hates women.
Johnny Evans. Playing for United. In 2023. Away at Arsenal. Can you imagine trying to convince someone ten years ago that this would be the case.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
The moment he stepped onto the pitch and got outskilled was just so typical.

arthurka

Why is he and Harry a thing for Utd. Biggest club in the world and all that.

AngliaRed

Is Evans really the best 3rd/4th choice CB Manchester United can attract these days?

10 years ago he was rotating with Smalling and Jones and wasnt great then.

I am all for being around the club for fitness or coaching badges etc but this is a joke signing. You could literally throw a net over some young CBs in the Championship and get better than Evans.

This is not me disliking Evans, he seems a nice guy its just the continued poor running of the club.

RedIan

Varane martinez lindelof shaw maguire evans… id say he is 6th choice cost nowt and is still a good player who can be called on in a crisis like we had today.

The Mitcher

People had the cheek to dogpile me and others for saying this would be a bad signing, we were right. Now the same people are using Evans being bad as a sefence for ETH :lol:.

Crimson King

He's like 6th choice. He was never meant to make it on to the pitch, except for maybe a cup tie against lower league opposition.

This is a really weird one to be upset about, even for this fanbase.

tomaldinho1

People had the cheek to dogpile me and others for saying this would be a bad signing, we were right. Now the same people are using Evans being bad as a sefence for ETH :lol:.
Such a weird post. He was brought in with the expectation he’d never play and is probably on peanuts for a wage. We’ve got a real CB injury crisis going on and he’s unfortunately been called up for a cameo. He’s probably about as average we all expected him to be, it’s not like anyone is unfamiliar with the player.

The Mitcher

Such a weird post. He was brought in with the expectation he’d never play and is probably on peanuts for a wage. We’ve got a real CB injury crisis going on and he’s unfortunately been called up for a cameo. He’s probably about as average we all expected him to be, it’s not like anyone is unfamiliar with the player.
What was the point in wasting money on him when we could have promoted a youngster?

Marwood

Is Evans really the best 3rd/4th choice CB Manchester United can attract these days?

10 years ago he was rotating with Smalling and Jones and wasnt great then.

I am all for being around the club for fitness or coaching badges etc but this is a joke signing. You could literally throw a net over some young CBs in the Championship and get better than Evans.

This is not me disliking Evans, he seems a nice guy its just the continued poor running of the club.
He's not 3rd or 4th choice though is he?

Why are a few pretending the first four CB's, Varane, Martinez, Lindelof and Shaw aren't injured? Maguire is 5th. Evans is 6th choice.

Who is Arsenal's sixth choice CB?

tompo18

It frustrates me how weak he is. He is always getting out muscled.

KjaAnd

It’s a farce that we had to put him on against Arsenal. A recipe for disaster and he looked predictably slow and weak. But what can you do with three CB’s and two LB’s injured? It’s actually insane.

redcucumber

It's actually quite hilarious. Johnny fecking Evans anchoring the defence for United at 35, having been released by relegated shit in a bin Leicester. Away at Arsenal. You genuinely couldn't make it up. What is this club? Pure, unfiltered box office.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Last season we would have finished with Casemiro as a CB and put on Gore on Hannibal. Crazy that we've had to resort to using our 5th choice CB in match 4.

Idxomer

Which team has a 6th choice like Evans? When a team needs a 6th choice defender, it's usually a midfielder or a fullback filling in. It's not gonna be an injury-prone 36-year-old who was never good enough in his prime. It's a completely pointless signing and it doesn't serve anyone except Evans to have him in the squad.

Guapa

Picked up exactly where he left off when we sold him.Shouldn't play for us again.Ridiculous signing.Yes I know his wife is hot

Eddy_JukeZ

He should never play in the league again(as he shouldn't have in the 1st place).

Would have been better subbing on McTominay as a center back(unless he was unavailable too, then pick another option).

Born2Lose

Knew the minute he signed the CB's would start dropping like flies, and he'd be in the team. Always remember being glad he'd gone. He's not just weak now, he's slow too. Embarrassing sentimental signing.

RedDevilQuebecois

He should not have come on. A job as a player-coach with the reserves is fine and dandy, but certainly not when he has to finish a match at the Emirates of all places.

I know that Lindelof was on a yellow card, but he looked aware and responsible enough to finish the match without taking another card.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He should not have come on. A job as a player-coach with the reserves is fine and dandy, but certainly not when he has to finish a match at the Emirates of all places.

I know that Lindelof was on a yellow card, but he looked aware and responsible enough to finish the match without taking another card.
Manager said he was ill and had to come off

Sylar

Last season we would have finished with Casemiro as a CB and put on Gore on Hannibal. Crazy that we've had to resort to using our 5th choice CB in match 4.
Tbf mctominay was ill as well and probably would have gone back there too.

Devil You Know

He had one dodgy moment about 30 seconds after coming on, but was fine after that.

He's a decent option against most teams. Arsenal's young, pacy, strong frontline are probably the worst opponents he could have come up against on his re-debut. It'll get easier from here.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Caf isn’t much fun anymore. Evans did okay. That “Maguire/Evans finishing the game at centre-back” line of outrage comes across as a bit glib and manufactured.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Caf isn’t much fun anymore. Evans did okay. That “Maguire/Evans finishing the game at centre-back” line of outrage comes across as a bit glib and manufactured.
Evans and Maguire were both at fault for the Rice goal

Sylar

I'm still certain that Evans was fouled / impeded for the rice shot / goal. Maybe he could have been stronger but him being able to get out was surely affected no?

Gordon Godot

I'm still certain that Evans was fouled / impeded for the rice shot / goal. Maybe he could have been stronger but him being able to get out was surely affected no?
Evans was floundering from the moment he game on, like Bambi on ice. He should not be allowing Jesus to block him.