View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

OverratedOpinion

I wasn’t talking about his ability as a coach and what I think of it wasn’t my statement.

Some of your declarations about the players don’t add up.

We came into that first season with a 352 and Nani also said in a BBC interview in October 2014 that he wanted out of the club before Moyes came in.
Wellbeck wanted to stay and be 3rd choice?
How can you still hold the belief Rafael is a better player than Darmian as backup, when Darmian can play as a RB, LB and CB.
Nani agreed to stay and ultimately left because Van Gaal told him to before ultimately regretting it after seeing him more in training.

Welbeck had been happy as third choice for years.

Rafael had been one of the best right backs in the league for us at times, Darmian was below average for us.

Then you add players like Hernandez and Evans. He is sold a bunch of squad players with a lot to offer and brought mostly dross. It's not fashionable to slate him as you said, it's just accurate.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Nani agreed to stay and ultimately left because Van Gaal told him to before ultimately regretting it after seeing him more in training.

Welbeck had been happy as third choice for years.

Rafael had been one of the best right backs in the league for us at times, Darmian was below average for us.

Then you add players like Hernandez and Evans. He is sold a bunch of squad players with a lot to offer and brought mostly dross. It's not fashionable to slate him as you said, it's just accurate.
You’re overreaching and it seems you’re just throwing stuff at a wall, hoping it’ll stick or some gullible individuals will gobble it up.

In his own word he had to leave because of a lack of form and injuries plus he wanted to work with a manager that knows his game. How was his mind changed? Nani was on a 1 year loan but LVG never kept in contact or brought him back the following season. We had ADM and Janu as his replacements.

Wellbeck pushed for a transfer because Arsenal promised him a starting spot. Being satisfied under SAF as a youngster does not equal wanting to do it all your career. It’s known LVG tried to talk him out of the move because he rated him but wasn’t willing to stay.

Liking a player doesn’t make him one of the best. At times it can only be their personality or attitude rather than skill level. Rafael was not a better FB than Valencia and Darmian came from the Serie A as a top FB from that league. The first season of LVG here did happen you know.

Evans was supposed to get replaced by the LCB from Tottenham at the time and we ended up with Rojo because Tottenham/United is its own thing. Whether he should have been chosen over Smalling and Jones, there is a conversation there to be had.
Memphis and Falcao were the guys over Chica, who later got replaced by Martial.

I am struggling to remember the other squad members under Moyes that did not retire or want out that should have been kept. Giggs, Vidic, Evra, Cleverley, Fletcher, Anderson, Rio, etc some of the guys I remember left from the previous season. When you have this much brain trust drained your playing squad, it becomes a problem.

Like I usually said he can be blame for not getting the football right but the club was moving into the unknown on a -5 handicap(5 captains). A transition like that doesn’t happen without a DOF and not placed on the shoulders of a new manager having a pit stop at the World Cup.

tomaldinho1

He’s actually been very good somewhat surprisingly so far. I didn’t expect to ever see him play but must be the league’s best (and only) 7th choice CB. .

OverratedOpinion

You’re overreaching and it seems you’re just throwing stuff at a wall, hoping it’ll stick or some gullible individuals will gobble it up.

In his own word he had to leave because of a lack of form and injuries plus he wanted to work with a manager that knows his game. How was his mind changed? Nani was on a 1 year loan but LVG never kept in contact or brought him back the following season. We had ADM and Janu as his replacements.

Wellbeck pushed for a transfer because Arsenal promised him a starting spot. Being satisfied under SAF as a youngster does not equal wanting to do it all your career. It’s known LVG tried to talk him out of the move because he rated him but wasn’t willing to stay.

Liking a player doesn’t make him one of the best. At times it can only be their personality or attitude rather than skill level. Rafael was not a better FB than Valencia and Darmian came from the Serie A as a top FB from that league. The first season of LVG here did happen you know.

Evans was supposed to get replaced by the LCB from Tottenham at the time and we ended up with Rojo because Tottenham/United is its own thing. Whether he should have been chosen over Smalling and Jones, there is a conversation there to be had.
Memphis and Falcao were the guys over Chica, who later got replaced by Martial.

I am struggling to remember the other squad members under Moyes that did not retire or want out that should have been kept. Giggs, Vidic, Evra, Cleverley, Fletcher, Anderson, Rio, etc some of the guys I remember left from the previous season. When you have this much brain trust drained your playing squad, it becomes a problem.

Like I usually said he can be blame for not getting the football right but the club was moving into the unknown on a -5 handicap(5 captains). A transition like that doesn’t happen without a DOF and not placed on the shoulders of a new manager having a pit stop at the World Cup.
This is so silly, Welbeck would have gladly stayed as third choice if we didn't sign Falcao, Nani has literally said the reason he left was cause Van Gaal told him to, Rafael was better for us than Darmian.

There is no agenda against Van Gaal apart from him being rubbish here.

KikiDaKats

Supports
This is so silly, Welbeck would have gladly stayed as third choice if we didn't sign Falcao, Nani has literally said the reason he left was cause Van Gaal told him to, Rafael was better for us than Darmian.

There is no agenda against Van Gaal apart from him being rubbish here.
You have confused me into submission. I’ll take your word for. I agree you are right.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I wasn’t talking about his ability as a coach and what I think of it wasn’t my statement.

Some of your declarations about the players don’t add up.

We came into that first season with a 352 and Nani also said in a BBC interview in October 2014 that he wanted out of the club before Moyes came in.
Wellbeck wanted to stay and be 3rd choice?
How can you still hold the belief Rafael is a better player than Darmian as backup, when Darmian can play as a RB, LB and CB.
Regardless of how many positions, darmian was horrendous. Would you rather one player be able to play a position properly or another player be able to play multiple positions horrendously?

KikiDaKats

Supports
Regardless of how many positions, darmian was horrendous. Would you rather one player be able to play a position properly or another player be able to play multiple positions horrendously?
Player performances can be subjective.

ManchesterMats

I would like to see Evans get another game from the kickoff tonight against Galatasaray. He put in a really solid performance the other week and deserves another shot.

Member 128195

I'd like to see Evans get more game time. He was amazing against Burnley and brings a sense of calm and composure to the defence.

We've only had 2 cleansheets in the league this year and one of them was on the opening day.

I don't think Varane/Lindelof works. I'd like Evans or even Maguire to get a run.

jem

I think we have missed his poise and leadership in the last two games. It seems a no-brainer to me to put him in with Varane and shift Lindelof to FB.

ManchesterMats

I think we have missed his poise and leadership in the last two games. It seems a no-brainer to me to put him in with Varane and shift Lindelof to FB.
Why didn’t he play last night? Did we forget to register him for the Champions League squad?

We better did. Otherwise I’m fed up with Ten Hag and his bullshit. Playing Amrabat as fullback, Eriksen as a sitting defender and Bruno as a winger just shows how bad Ten Hags understanding of the game is.

The fact that Ten Hags seems obsessed with mediocre players from Eredivisie sets me up even more.

PoTMS

Played really well against Mbuemo/Wissa. No complaints about him and Maguire today.

Abraxas

Not really tested that much overall as Brentford defended their lead. But it was okay, he read a few counters quite well against Wissa who is tricky. I probably have a little more confidence in him than Maguire in truth.

Nep77

So many overreacted when few of us wanted him to sign as 4th or 5th choice option. Has been solid so far and expect him to do the job whenever called upon.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
There's an argument to be had that he's been our best summer signing :lol:

I mean it's Hojlund sure, but he cost £70m and big Jonny was free.

Superunknown

Wish he was 10 years younger. Would have been some signing for us.
I'm feeling this right now, too. He seems to be play the game with his head, which is exactly what you want a player in his position to do. My only concern with him is his body being able to keep up with the speed of the game, as it looks like we'll be needing him more than we thought we would.

Baneofthegame

Said at the time it was a good signing and he’s done well in his limited appearances.

Raven

Thought it was a mistake to sell him, delighted to see him doing well so far