View full 2023-24 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

RuudTom83

Putting football to one side...on a human level I was so pleased for him last night.

crossy1686

career ending
I think we all need to see this again to remember what management involves sometimes, and also ask yourself how would you feel if you saw Ten Hag doing this to someone like Sancho for example:

There's a reason players like Evans are professional and have high standards.

On this, Fergie said after the game:

"I was just giving him a bit of gentle advice, our whole back four were going to get it, but he's unfortunate he was the nearest defender to me."

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
So happy for him. I love talented and hardworking academy players.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Very pleased and happy. Egg on the face who criticized him as soon as they saw him on the line up. People just don't understand what a 5th choice means.

Played it safe to Lindelof always.

Our old boys are much better than some of our players. Evans,Young, Welbeck.

marktan

Him, Rafael, Welbeck, Nani, Chica.. all good squad players that Van Gaal in his ego sold and replaced with dross. That's when our decline started. Of all our managers, I dislike Van Gaal the most.

Oranges038

I think we all need to see this again to remember what management involves sometimes, and also ask yourself how would you feel if you saw Ten Hag doing this to someone like Sancho for example:

I'd fecking love it.

Fcuk these crying over paid man babies who don't like someone telling them they are doing shit at their job.

fergosaurus

The bigger issue is, that people understand the rating system differently... Just like you who seem to be suprised to see Bruno have a 5.1 even though that isn't a bad number at all. A 5 should be a performance where the player is either not doing anything wrong but doesn't stand out positively or it should be for a performance where the player has a lot of good moments but also a few shockers. A 5 isn't bad at all over a full match, let alone multiple ones with really bad performances all over the team.

But it seems like certain moments in matches skew the ratings (which is of course understandable, but I don't get the extent) a bit too much - like yesterday when people were rating Bruno with a 7 or even higher for a world class finish that was surrounded by not all that much of the bare minimum. Same for Casemiro against Bayern who struggled quite a bit but made two late goals out of nothing.
I don't agree at all. Scoring Bruno a 5.1 for the season is completely underappreciating the value of his performances. Whoscored have him as 7.27 which is a much fairer reflection IMO.

black country red

That was indeed really impressive, considering the fact he was playing for West Brom at the time.
Great comment goes to show some people on here know jack about football Morgan and Huth were the Centre back pairing

Borninthe80ts

I see him as similar signing to what Wout was last season. A pragmatic deal to cover what was meant to be emergency situations with a guarantee of a professional performance, be it good or bad so to speak. The issue is first teamers can’t stay fit.

Will always give the club 100 per cent.

Oranges038

Me too but there’s a bunch of people more concerned about mental health than there is accountability.
It's top level sport not a rehab clinic. If you don't have the mentality required to knuckle down and do whatever it takes to win. Then you're in the wrong place. As someone said about Sergio Ramos, he'd kill his granny to win", that's the mentality you need to succeed at the top.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Evans is and was always one of the most underrated center backs in the Premier league. He was very good for us, trusted heavily by SAF and misjudged by Moyes. His Leicester stint was hugely successful, and he was their best defender in their title winning campaign.

Fitness is what got him, but if he can be managed on minutes he still has terrific value to add in leadership, organisation and game management. Not to mention hes cool as it comes in playing the ball out.
He wasn’t at LCFC then, it was Huth and their captain Morgan

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I'd have him over Lindeloff in the pecking order.

Blood Mage

While he is over the hill now he's still a Ferguson player. He has the mentality you need to succeed at this club and I don't know why we sold him in the first place.

Blood Mage

Modern players wouldn't be able to handle Fergie. Nowadays if a manager speaks to his players like that he risks losing the dressing room.

Amir

Him, Rafael, Welbeck, Nani, Chica.. all good squad players that Van Gaal in his ego sold and replaced with dross. That's when our decline started. Of all our managers, I dislike Van Gaal the most.
Naa. It started the moment Fergie retired, not two years later because we sold decent players, some of whom were good talents who didn't quite develope as we hoped for.

Trequarista10

Excellent 5th/6th choice CB.

Experienced, professional, mature, winning mentality, an academy product, loves the club, can set a good example for others, will be happy get the odd game here and there, no transfer fee and reasonable wages. And, a pretty decent footballer.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Just checked and Bruno Fernandes has a 5.1 average, which is even lower than Jadon Sancho's rating. :wenger:
The player ratings are basically an extension of the unhinged kneejerk comments in the matchday thread.

People forget how useful a player Evans was in his day. He was quality, particularly when partnering Vidic.

crossy1686

career ending
Modern players wouldn't be able to handle Fergie. Nowadays if a manager speaks to his players like that he risks losing the dressing room.
If you have the wrong players, then yes. If you have the right players then they expect to get chewed out if they're not up to standards, like anyone else in any line of work with the correct attitude.

narnar

Needs Help
The player ratings are basically an extension of the unhinged kneejerk comments in the matchday thread.

People forget how useful a player Evans was in his day. He was quality, particularly when partnering Vidic.
Correct me if I am wrong, didn't he partner Vidic quite a lot in 08/09 for a clean sheet record?

fergosaurus

Indeed, they complimented each other well and the run of 13 successive clean sheets was excellent.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Naa. It started the moment Fergie retired, not two years later because we sold decent players, some of whom were good talents who didn't quite develope as we hoped for.
Rafael wasn’t better than Valencia as a FB.
Wellbeck wanted out because he was not going to play ahead of Rooney and RVP.
Nani did not want to transition into a striker and wanted out.

There seems to be a memory issues on this forum. It’s fashionable to pile on LVG for his boring football but the PR campaign should stop now, the guy failed like majority of managers do but the distortions are out of hand.

The information overload was the problem in the LVG era and our players from the SAF era struggled with that. Now it’s the norm but then it wasn’t. The players that were ready to accept the direction of football stayed on and we saw how even Jose trusted them.

Evans was just not favoured over Smalling and Jones. Plus that obsession with left footed LCB.

Our decline started with us not having a DOF in the later years of SAF reign.

SuperiorXI

Fergie was unique. The players would have to handle it or they'd be out the door. I remember in one of his interviews, one of the first things he did was get the whole staff together in a hall and tell all of them that they had to change because he wasn't going to change. Anyone who didn't was quickly dealt with.

If Fergie came along today in his prime I have no doubts he'd be just as effective, he is a force of nature.

Atheist

Van Gaal. You could ask the same question about plenty of the players he sold.
I think it’s fine to sell players who may be in decline but could still provide value - provided you replace them well. Pep does a very good job of this, van Gaal and United in general have been very poor at this after Fergie left.

AneRu

Fergie was unique. The players would have to handle it or they'd be out the door. I remember in one of his interviews, one of the first things he did was get the whole staff together in a hall and tell all of them that they had to change because he wasn't going to change. Anyone who didn't was quickly dealt with.

If Fergie came along today in his prime I have no doubts he'd be just as effective, he is a force of nature.
There is not much you can do to a player who is content to just earn his wage whilst sitting in the terraces and doesn't have any professional pride. The biggest mistake we are making, or that's being made on our behalf, is to offer players who have achieved anything outrageous contracts. The moment a player is attracted to you because of the money on offer you have encountered the biggest red flag.

On Evans, its only Burnley but I think we have found the perfect role player albeit with a poor fitness record. It suits us down to tee in that he will be required to play a few games a month and thus will be fresh and also won't be too strained. He is still quality, he can play out from the back and he reads the game well. He will be an asset this season.

The players we need to upgrade on are Maguire and Lindelof and if possible just sign one top player who is good enough to challenge and/or displace Varane. Sell Lindelof and Maguire then have Varane + new signing + Evans + a youth prospect as our choices at RCB.

madzo2007

Was worried when I saw Evans was starting yesterday but he was excellent. Calmness personified and showed his experience. VAR ruined the fairytale goal

NZT-One

I don't agree at all. Scoring Bruno a 5.1 for the season is completely underappreciating the value of his performances. Whoscored have him as 7.27 which is a much fairer reflection IMO.
We are completely in the wrong thread but come on mate, we played 7 matches this season, lost 4, won 3, scored 10, conceded 14, had more possession in 2 out of 7 (Wolves was 51%), xG 11.6 and xGA of 12.4. No player deserves a rating better than 5.5 overall, whoscored rating him higher should give you an idea how their scoring system is badly weighted.

lex talionis

Van Gaal. You could ask the same question about plenty of the players he sold.
Van Gaal was the lowest lowpoint for me in the post-Ferguson era. Unlike Moyes and Ole, he had actually accomplished something in his career so high expectations were reasonable. But his management was abysmal and the team "philosophy" was horrifying beyond belief.

flappyjay

He is an emergency cb at 5th choice, you Hope you'd dont have to rely on him but thank feck he is useful.

Hughes35

Has been surprisingly excellent so far. Was he this good for Leicester? Looks like he wasn't playing many games for them which is weird.

Oranges038

Has been surprisingly excellent so far. Was he this good for Leicester? Looks like he wasn't playing many games for them which is weird.
He was always their best defender. Even when Maguire was there. Last 2 seasons I think he struggled with injury.

OverratedOpinion

Rafael wasn’t better than Valencia as a FB.
Wellbeck wanted out because he was not going to play ahead of Rooney and RVP.
Nani did not want to transition into a striker and wanted out.

There seems to be a memory issues on this forum. It’s fashionable to pile on LVG for his boring football but the PR campaign should stop now, the guy failed like majority of managers do but the distortions are out of hand.

The information overload was the problem in the LVG era and our players from the SAF era struggled with that. Now it’s the norm but then it wasn’t. The players that were ready to accept the direction of football stayed on and we saw how even Jose trusted them.

Evans was just not favoured over Smalling and Jones. Plus that obsession with left footed LCB.

Our decline started with us not having a DOF in the later years of SAF reign.
Rafael was at the very least better than Darmian for us, Welbeck was happy being 3rd choice for years and Nani has said that he ultimately left because Van Gaal came in and told him that he had no time or patience and wanted rid.

Van Gaal was horrendous and your assertion that his ideas were just too clever for our thick players is ridiculous. Part of being a good coach is making those complex ideas easily understandable to individual players.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Rafael was at the very least better than Darmian for us, Welbeck was happy being 3rd choice for years and Nani has said that he ultimately left because Van Gaal came in and told him that he had no time or patience and wanted rid.

Van Gaal was horrendous and your assertion that his ideas were just too clever for our thick players is ridiculous. Part of being a good coach is making those complex ideas easily understandable to individual players.
I wasn’t talking about his ability as a coach and what I think of it wasn’t my statement.

Some of your declarations about the players don’t add up.

We came into that first season with a 352 and Nani also said in a BBC interview in October 2014 that he wanted out of the club before Moyes came in.
Wellbeck wanted to stay and be 3rd choice?
How can you still hold the belief Rafael is a better player than Darmian as backup, when Darmian can play as a RB, LB and CB.