g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Jonny Evans image 35

Jonny Evans Northern Ireland flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
If you're not absolutely made up for the man while watching his post match interviews (plural!) Then you're dead inside

BehemothTerror

I remember when we signed him people were moaning, 100% vindicated in saying he could do a job

The Hilton

So far, it looks like signing him as a backup was a masterstroke. Played very well today, had an assist, should have had a goal too, and bought a calm and level head at the back when we really needed one.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Delighted for him.

Very solid performance overall, I was gutted for him when the goal was ruled out but what a ball for the assist :drool:

NotQuiteManc

Great leap for the (non)-goal! Surprised by how well he played too. A good back-up to have.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Always had a soft spot for him, so absolutely delighted to see him have a great game for us once again. Cheers Jonny!

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Ironic that we sold him to Leicester then bought slab from them for £75m when Evans was the better player.

Van Gaal hadn't a clue regards transfers. Evans should never have been sold and was better for us under Fergie than any CB we signed since.
Was better than Maguire at Leicester also.
It is ironic, except we sold him to West Brom

Abraxas

Like who?
I think selling Evans was harsh after one poor season. Most fans absolutely wanted him gone though.
It's true, I have a recollection that the general view was that he was too weak/passive and had too many mistakes in him and most were happy he went. To be fair he did probably make more mistakes at United than at WBA or Leicester because it's a more ambitious style of football and much more pressure.

In hindsight it might have been a mistake, but only in view of who we brought in and kept that weren't definitively better, or probably worse in some cases. But that's more a problem with recruitment than being a decisive case for Evans. We buy better and it's not even a discussion.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It's true, I have a recollection that the general view was that he was too weak/passive and had too many mistakes in him and most were happy he went. To be fair he did probably make more mistakes at United than at WBA or Leicester because it's a more ambitious style of football and much more pressure.

In hindsight it might have been a mistake, but only in view of who we brought in and kept that weren't definitively better, or probably worse in some cases. But that's more a problem with recruitment than being a decisive case for Evans. We buy better and it's not even a discussion.
It was harsh. He had a poor season but it was one season

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Like who?
I think selling Evans was harsh after one poor season. Most fans absolutely wanted him gone though.
Rafael, Nani, Welbeck, Hernandez, Evra, Vidic, Van Persie.

You could argue some or most of them were on the decline, but to get rid of all of them so soon was foolish as these players had won league titles and would have been good to be kept around for a bit longer. He gutted the squad to get his own replacements far too soon and he was the main reason the club was set back so far after Sir Alex retired.

Bobski

He lost confidence, had that notorious league cup game at West Ham when they lost 4-0 and he looked gone. Always had the talent and had some great spells for Utd, that record breaking clean sheet run, but just had a bad spell, fell out of favour and needed a move.

If he really wanted to he could easily have spent a large part of the second half of his career as a squad player for a top team, there were times when City/Arsenal were linked with him, but probably at that stage he just wanted to play.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

You could argue some or most of them were on the decline, but to get rid of all of them so soon was foolish as these players had won league titles and would have been good to be kept around for a bit longer. He gutted the squad to get his own replacements far too soon and he was the main reason the club was set back so far after Sir Alex retired.
Nani wanted out didn’t he? So did Vidic and Evra after Moyes

CM

I'm pleasantly surprised by how well Evans played but it's a bit of a concern when 35 year old Jonny Evans is the bright spark in your team. Nice moment for him though, he seems like a genuinely good character.

Oranges038

Yeap, worst managerial appointment the club has made since then.

Ranie

Very, very good performance. Great assist (and goal) but first and foremost great performance in defence.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

I love that he is here. First and foremost for his character in the dressing room. He'll improve the ratio of professional footballers vs entitled cnuts by quite a bit.

OleGunnar20

Like who?

Yep. Aside from Welbeck (who has done well to be fair) I think gutting that team was a massive mistake. It was way too much too quick.

Rafael in particular I really didn't want to see go. Loved that little nutter.

DevTheRed

Nearly a goal and an assist on his 200th appearance.. what a guy!

If he comes in and plays like that 5-10 times this season I’ll be very happy.

jem

Pure class today. Too much to ask him to do it regularly, but great option to have in the squad.

The United

He has always been a very good passer. It didn't help that he was trying to slot in for the like of Ferdinand and Vidic at that time and we didn't really emphasize much on passing out from the back anyway.

I am not saying he was a top defender or something we have been missing but I am happy that he could come back and probably finish his career here.

Jericho

Is he ahead of Maguire in the pecking order now when both are fit?

saik

Fair enough, he was good today. Should have had a goal which was unfairly ruled out and then that assist was a thing of beauty.