Jonny Evans is a red...

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Why? Maguire isn’t part of ten hags plans, whatever tiny role he would play this season if he were to stay Evans will be able to fill that role. We would get 30/40m for Maguire and we would save a couple of hundred thousand in weekly wages. All that makes more sense to me than for Maguire to stay and sit on the bench all season
I get what you’re saying about wages and fee but Harry is just a better and more modern player than Jonny. He couldn’t even keep Leicester up.

Gopher Brown

Should never have let him go in the first place, well done LVG. Hopefully he has one last good year in him, a decent back up and a good all round pro.
He absolutely should have been sold when he was, he had become very unreliable and could easily be bullied by any halfway physical CF. Just because we had worse players at the time doesn’t mean he was good enough to play regularly for us.

If I may quote @Djemba-Djemba from 2015:

“When he was bad, he was comically awful. You think back to nights like the ones against MK Dons and that game where Carlton fecking Cole ripped him to pieces. He always had the odd game like that in him.

Plus as I've said last season he was terrible. He seemed to be determined to cost us a goal every time he played and most of the times De Gea saved us came from him cleaning up a Jonny Evans error.

Despite all that though, I like Evans and I maintain that in the 5 or 6 years he played for us he was good. I think he'll do well at West Brom.”

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I had to check if my memory failed me but from what I can see Evans return from his early injury matches with LVGs move to a back three which if I'm not mistaken was a system that he used during the preseason and Evans was very uncomfortable. He later missed a lot of games and then was sold during the next summer.
The rot started with a horror show when we lost 4-0 against MK Dons, playing a back five (feck knows why!) Evans was captain. I think LVG basically wrote him off after that.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I get what you’re saying about wages and fee but Harry is just a better and more modern player than Jonny. He couldn’t even keep Leicester up.
Bit harsh... He was injured for half the season, and when he did play he usually had a DM playing at CB or Wout Faes next to him.

Revan

Assumptionman
I get the jokes but these three are the best performers at CB between the Rio-Vidic and Varane-Lisandro eras. The likes of of Rojo, Bailly, Maguire or Lindelof don't even match the former three's average level.
Evans probably in 2012-2013 when he partnered Rio. But after that was crap, although everyone was crap in that Moyes season.

I think that Lindelof and Blind have been our best CBs in post Fergie era. Smalling was alright, Evans was really bad, Rojo was mental, Jones and Bailly were always injured, and Maguire was a meme.

Idxomer

The rot started with a horror show when we lost 4-0 against MK Dons, playing a back five (feck knows why!) Evans was captain. I think LVG basically wrote him off after that.
He had a run in the team after that and played very well till his spitting incident with Cisse.

I think that incident and his injury problems were the reasons LVG decided to sell him.

caid

I think he sold pretty much every senior player who played in that match. He was quick to write people off.

spiriticon

The sad thing is that prime Nani is still the best right winger we've had since Ronaldo left.

15 years of fecking about in the RW position.

Superunknown

The sad thing is that prime Nani is still the best right winger we've had since Ronaldo left.

15 years of fecking about.
Prime Nani. :drool:

This deal is so random. I kinda love it. Loved the guy and was disappointed when he moved on. He'll be a good influence on the younger players. Welcome back!

criticalanalysis

Evans probably in 2012-2013 when he partnered Rio. But after that was crap, although everyone was crap in that Moyes season.

I think that Lindelof and Blind have been our best CBs in post Fergie era. Smalling was alright, Evans was really bad, Rojo was mental, Jones and Bailly were always injured, and Maguire was a meme.
Lindelof hasn't come close to having a single 'great' season as a defender, the likes of which Smalling has at least had one under LVG. His best form of his entire Utd career thus far was literally circa the last 10 games of this season gone, where he subsequently ended it with letting the ball bounce in first 10 seconds the FA Cup Final, leading to Gundogan's goal.

Put some respect on Smalling's name.

PSV

During LVG's first season we picked up 2.18 points per game Evans played compared to 1.82 as team total. Smalling had 1.69 and Jones 1.67. We were undefeated and conceded a total of 5 goals in his last 11 starts.

It was weird to sell him when we did based on performances, but I think he had 2 big injuries in 2014 and was injured at the end of the 14/15 season as well so we let him go.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I think he sold pretty much every senior player who played in that match. He was quick to write people off.
Should've wrote himself off when we went on that awful run in 2015 where we went hours without scoring a goal, thanks to the way he set up the team.

90 + 5min

I'm ok with this if it also means Maguire is sold. Evans can do his part as a backup, so selling Maguire for some money would be good business.

RVN1991

Should never have let him go in the first place, well done LVG. Hopefully he has one last good year in him, a decent back up and a good all round pro.
Revisionist history. He was poor his last few seasons at the club. Not replacing him adequately was the real mistake. Probably did his career a world of good by moving as well.

baskinginthesun

I see this as no more than helping an old boy out whilst perhaps sending a message to Maguire
Yeah. He's probably on a pay to play or pay to get fit contract or something like that. It's a good move and it allows Martinez to gain his fitness slowly instead of full on.

BeltUp

Supports
United
Ronaldo, Cavani, Bastian, Mata et al were all supposed to take the younger players under their wings. Good to see we learn lessons quickly and not make football manager fantasies real life.

Jonty

Bit harsh... He was injured for half the season, and when he did play he usually had a DM playing at CB or Wout Faes next to him.
This! Anytime I watched Leicester last season Wout Faes seemed hell bent on relegating them.

Wezzaldo

One of the most criminally underrated players I’ve seen throughout his career. I’d happily start him ahead of Maguire in the LCB role if Licha was injured.

Boneli

I don’t have a problem with this at all. Home-grown, cheap competent back up, and allows us to let Maguire go. He could certainly fill Maguire’s squad position from last season, what was it, 8 starts in the league?