Jordan Hendrsone - FWA Footballer of the Year

Superunknown

I won't even name Henderson top 3 in Liverpool
TAA Salah Mane will be mine

City won the league last 2 seasons and Liverpool still won the awards
Out of those three, I think the order should be Mane > TAA> Salah. I prefer Mane over Salah anyway and I think that he's had the stronger season out of the two.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
http://footballwriters.co.uk/editorial/jordan-henderson-footballer-of-the-year/

"As well as the top five of Henderson, De Bruyne, Rashford, Van Dijk and Mane, ten other players received votes from FWA members including Alexander-Arnold, Alisson, Raheem Sterling, Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Sergio Aguero, Adama Traore, Danny Ings, Jack Grealish, James Madison and Jonny Evans."

Nevermind Henderson (not even the best player in his team), which football writer when asked "who was the player of the season", answered "Jonny Evans"

Neo_Mufc

Strong Scott ‘Scotty’ Parker vibes off this.
I just saw that in the list of previous winners as well. 10/11 when Utd won the league.

Now I'm trying to think back but I can't for the life of me imagine how he got this!

Pablo18th

The Press do not have any self awareness at all, this is how credibility is lost. I do not want to hear them complain about readership being down.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Strong Scott ‘Scotty’ Parker vibes off this.
Exactly.

These journalists and their sentimental trophies, fecking hell they should just stop these awards.

HackeyC

Struggling to see how he gets that above Mane or TAA. I think they win the league without Henderson, but without either of those two I think it is a very close run season with City. Looking at the stats you can argue that Firmino has been more effective than Henderson this year.

Rolaholic

Biased sentimental media. Even at his club, Trent, Van Dijk and Mane have all been better
Robertson, Salah, Fabinho and Allison too :lol:

Really wonder what the criteria is because if its mainly for off the pitch contributions Rashford or Mane would merit it as much as anyone for their extraordinary charitable efforts

fps

Fair enough, they have been a real team and his role as captain and leader has shone through. I feel their key playerhas been Mané but hey.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
FWA has a bit of history for giving it to someone with narrative.

KDB’s been the best player in the league throughout the season. Bruno arguably has been since he joined the league, but KDB has been the clear outstanding footballer in England across the entire season.

It’s fine that the best player playing in England is not in the best team. That’s often the case. It’s weird that people can’t often understand that. Some teams succeed by getting the most of a star player or a few men, others are just better than the sum of their parts. I’d argue Liverpool are the latter. Most of Liverpool’s XI would not obviously improve most other top teams in isolation.
True. Scott Parker won it on much the same basis.

Classic senior football journalism narrative-generating naval-gazing this.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
He was not even Liverpool best player. Shows how much of a farce this award is.

Corey

"As well as the top five of Henderson, De Bruyne, Rashford, Van Dijk and Mane, ten other players received votes from FWA members including Alexander-Arnold, Alisson, Raheem Sterling, Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Sergio Aguero, Adama Traore, Danny Ings, Jack Grealish, James Madison and Jonny Evans."

Nevermind Henderson (not even the best player in his team), which football writer when asked "who was the player of the season", answered "Jonny Evans"

Half of those names are ridiculous, not just Evans. How could anyone say Wan-Bissaka is the player of the season?

wythyred

I’m in the few that thinks he’s a great player and one of the best DM in the world.

However it has to be De Bruyne.

Mason for YPOTS!

Siorac

Who's the sports editor of the Leicester Mercury?

Smithy89

Does the best footballer ever actually win this? De Bruyne is by far the best player in the league and it's not even close.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Ridiculous decision. It should’ve been De Bruyne by some distance, and both Mane and Trent deserve it more than Henderson.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Henderson’s had a fantastic season, but this is a bit of a sentimental award based on him being British, him going from being deemed not good enough by many to captain and an integral part of a team that just won the PL for the first time in 30 years.
That’s exactly it. There’s a massive bias to British players as it is, add Henderson’s zero to hero story & it fits their narrative perfectly.

You’ll know better than me but I can think of 4 or 5 players from Liverpool alone more deserving.

If KDB was English he would have won.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He probably should have been about 4th choice for player of the year from his own team.

At the very least I'd have Van Dijk, Mané and Trent ahead of him and I wouldn't think you were mad to put Salah and Fabinho ahead of him either.

cyberman

Ridiculous decision. It should’ve been De Bruyne by some distance, and both Mane and Trent deserve it more than Henderson.
KDB had too many games like the game v Arsenal where he had very little impact.
For a non Liverpool player to win it he would need a monster season but hr, and the side as a whole, kind of wilted in the big games.
Both games v Utd, both v Spurs, the Liverpool game that mattered, both games v Wolves. Even Chelsea away where the free kick masked a very poor performance.
Theres no way he deserves it over Trent, Mane etc. Id even say theres an argument that Rashford has a bigger claim to it than KDB does.

Last edited:

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Look at your spelling of Henderson... There is no 'e' on the end :D:D
That's because, in the real world, Henderson would be nowhere near this kind of award.

But in a place not only of sight and sound but of mind, he would sweep up.

I am, of course, referring to The HendrZone.

DDROGBA

award means nothing this year.

Henderson is the most average captain to win the CL and Prem - EVER.

poor Mane, should have been his.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He isn't PFA Player of the Year, he's FWA Footballer of the Year.

Sterling won it last year by the way when he clearly wasn't the best player in the league. I don't know why so many people get worked up about individual awards.
I remember your lot getting yourselves worked up about the golden gloves award

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
The same English media that big up the English national team before mercilessly tearing it down again pretty much every two years? Yeah, unsurprising they went with Henderson.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I remember your lot getting yourselves worked up about the golden gloves award
I certainly didn't, but no doubt quite a few Liverpool fans would indeed yeah.

But that's still different because it's based on stats, you can't deny or argue with that. It's like the Golden Boot, it just is what it is. Whoever wins that, deserves it.

Superunknown