Jorginho challenge on Grealish

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Little biased but i don't think it was a red. The step on the ball makes it iffy for me, seems the foot slipped off and landed on the thigh. Could have been given though. Seen reds given for less.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Again, this non red didn't matter. Southgate wouldn't have gone for it, anyway.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
I'm not a United supporter, never claimed to be one (not supporter of any PL team).

I'm here because I like watching PL and United have been the most fun team to watch the last 7 years or so because you never know what you get.
Great!

I honestly welcome you all here and my comment was meant in a nice way and may have been misinterpreted.

So Welcome again.

kthanksbye

Think he gets away with a yelow because he got a good chunk of the ball before Grealish does, and the fact that he did not lead into Grealish with his studs but instead rolls off the ball into Grealish.
I thought yellow was a fair decision.

big rons sovereign

Not really, when you have the example here that you are talking about haha

I love it. Ungerland. Ungerland Ungerland, la la la

What a place
That video is bullshit. You know it, I know it, everybody knows it.
Anybody can take a collection of vids and stick whatever captions they like.
Including claiming the one of the fans breaking into the stadium is fans hurling racist abuse.

You've had your laugh, now you're just looking to start more shit.
Grow up.

arnie_ni

There also looked to be a clear pen to Italy that time chiesa got injured. Philips stood on a guys foot after the ball broke loose. Var didn't seem to pick it up either

Catania

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
Catania
Great!

I honestly welcome you all here and my comment was meant in a nice way and may have been misinterpreted.

So Welcome again.
Thank you I appreciate it.
No hard feelings

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Can't the same be said for Grealish who is sliding in to catch the ball since he couldn't reach the ball in time by staying up?

Why should the opposition stop going for a ball because the other player is doing a last ditch effort to slide in for the ball?

It's unfortunate what happened, but both went for the ball in a 50-50, both reached the ball at the same time. Not even a yellow for me.
Point is that JG didn’t hurt anyone with his slide. Jorginho was stamping down on the ball wig quite some force. There’s no way you can control that.
Anyway, it’s done now and he’ll get his comeuppance…hopefully against Utd:devil:

Inigo Montoya

Not really, when you have the example here that you are talking about haha

I love it. Ungerland. Ungerland Ungerland, la la la

What a place
Of course Italians have never attacked anyone or anything…. Oh wait

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I guess some refs may have sent him off based on their live perception, but in the replay you clearly see that it's just an unlucky accident, because his foot slides over the ball. Never in a million years a clear mistake.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Ampadu’s red was very similar to this, and I argued that was a fair red and I feel the same here (I think there was a similar incident in the Germany game by Phillips too)

With the Jorginho challenge, he’s unlucky due to bouncing off the ball, but if Wilson got a red for a trip due to intent (but no excessive force or brutality so by the rules not a red), the Jorginho challenge has to be a red because of excessive force. I can see why it wouldn’t be seen as a clear error though.

Inigo Montoya

There's a difference between club and country. Get off your high horse, y'all love it when all the talk is about how United is the biggest club in the world with the most amount of fans around the world. How United stay competitive without money injection from owners because WE generate the money on our own as a club.

That doesn't mean that fans of United can't root for another international team than England.
I rooted for Brazil in 1970, Holland in 74 and 78, Brazil in 82.

Then it was England from 1986 onwards. For me it became about the style of football for a long while then I thought feck it, It'd be great to see the trophy back in England

Inigo Montoya

Of course not, but there is an old expression that luck/strange decisions evens itself out during a season or a tournament.
Pure nonsense. It supposed to be 'evens itself out over a season.' That's 38 games not half a dozen.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Italy were ruthless and deserved to see red cards.

If Chiellini (and his violent tug on Saka), and those yellow cards is what a 'winner' looks like then let them have it.

If this is what it takes to win then at least England lost with dignity.
:lol: nonsense post

red4ever 79

Inigo Montoya

:lol: nonsense post
Reminds me of the quote from the comedy character Alf Garnett who when West Ham lost again said, " At least we know how to lose!" :lol:

When Utd under SAF threw off the shackles of being 'nice football playing losers' and started winning because had competitors like Ince,Keane,Hughes,Cantona it was because we were,'dirty cheats' 'moaners' 'manipulated the refs' . Arsenal were nice.

feck it, I want winners in football.

Inigo Montoya

Well in this case it did even itself out no? Looks like it. I mean come on Declan Rice also could have gone against Germany in the first 20 mins when he pulled the guy down. Swing in roundabouts. Where's the petition to have the game replayed?

Oh, here it is haha

https://www.sportbible.com/football/53021-england-italy-petition-euro-2020-20210713
Point is, in tournaments luck may play a part but there's no 'even-ing out' as it were. It's a knock out tournament, you lose and there's no redemption

TheLord

Saka would be spared the misfortune of missing the penalty - that would have been the only meaningful benefit if Jorginho had been sent off.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Italy were ruthless and deserved to see red cards.

If Chiellini (and his violent tug on Saka), and those yellow cards is what a 'winner' looks like then let them have it.

If this is what it takes to win then at least England lost with dignity.
It took a dive to get England into the final :lol:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Clattenburg explained that his foot ricocheted off the ball and onto Graelish's leg, rather than it being an actual attempted stamp, that's why it's not a red
That is literally nothing to do with it. Plenty of challenges have the player going "over the ball" and into an opponent. It's called wreckless and out of control.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
That is literally nothing to do with it. Plenty of challenges have the player going "over the ball" and into an opponent. It's called wreckless and out of control.
You think Clattenburg knows nothing about the rules he's routinely applying, but you do better?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You think Clattenburg knows nothing about the rules he's routinely applying, but you do better?
Have you seen Clattenburg refereeing? yes :lol:

Please find me in the rules where it says your foot bouncing off the ball is ok?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Have you got a link to whatClattenburg said? I don’t doubt you just wanna read what he said

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Have you got a link to whatClattenburg said? I don’t doubt you just wanna read what he said
I just went with the indirect quote, that some poster provided earlier.

To me the case seems very straight forward, in the sense that there clearely isn't a right or wrong decision, because on one hand you have an element of recklessness, but on the other hand it was an honest, and in a way successful, attempt to play the ball; the painful contact with Grealish just an accident. Which basically leaves it at the ref's discretion to decide which colour he wants to pick. I personally think it's a yellow card.

Last edited:

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Do you think clattenburg of all referees will give you correct opinion on any incident. He openly said he did not want to give cards to Spurs players in battle of bridge game because he didn't want to hear excuse from Tottenham fans for failing to win the match.

markhughes

It was a red for me but he missed a penalty and so it had little to do with the outcome in the end. Might have been more sickening if he had scored.

England didn't deserve to win regardless, we were far too negative.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I just went with the indirect quote, that some poster provided earlier.

To me the case seems very straight forward, in the sense that there clerely isn't a right or wrong decision, because on one hand you have an element of recklessness, but on the other hand it was an honest, and in a way successful, attempt to play the ball; the painful contact with Grealish just an accident. Which basically leaves it at the ref's discretion to decide which colour he wants to pick. I personally think it's a yellow card.
I can agree with that, you’re right that it was an earnest play for the ball. My initial argument was that because he went in studs up with force, he’d lost a little control when he bounced off the ball. But as Grealish was sliding in I think that compacted things, there’s definitely no element of intent from Jorginho.

Boh

Supports
Juventus
Btw there was a penalty for Italy that no one saw. Even though Cristante stayed on his feet( 99% of players would'nt have), that's a foul.

Last edited:

Hammondo

There was nothing wreckless about it though. You are allowed to run and put a single foot on the ball, if that's wreckless there would only be goalies left.