Jorginho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick7

It feels like the lindelof deal, where it is done for the summer and just needs to be rubber stamped, expect it to go through quickly unless an absolute world class midfielder becomes available.
Is there any other information to suggest this? Or just that one tweet.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
MEN have said it since long that he is top candidate to replace carrick. Duncan castles mentioned it too, not clearly but still.

Walters_19_MuFc

Interesting statistic. Who scored has jorginho listed as the player with the second highest average amount of passes per game in Europe, behind only marco verratti. Jean Michael Series is something like sixth. Looks like seri is the backup plan with the news that we've been in talks with jorginhos agent. Would be an obvious carrick replacement with that skill-set.
Both different types of players, though. Actually, we could do with both.

Jorginho is more a holding player, and would rotate with Matic, whilst Seri is more an 8, who links midfield to attack. The both could play together.

Pogba Seri
Jorginho

Very much doubt we'd see that, mind. Jose likes a bit of height and physicality in his midfield.

Either way, with Carrick retiring and Fellaini looking likely to leave, we need two midfielders.

A holding midfielder - Someone to rotate with Matic.

A playmaker - A number 8 who can control the game from deep, but can also play as a more advanced 8 if/when Pogba is injured/rested.

Seri, Pjanic, Wilshere, Thiago, Modric, Gundogan, etc. Players of that ilk.

Judas

Open to offers
It feels like the lindelof deal, where it is done for the summer and just needs to be rubber stamped, expect it to go through quickly unless an absolute world class midfielder becomes available.
Seems like a bit of a massive jump to a conclusion. There's been barely any talk of this deal in comparison.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Both different types of players, though. Actually, we could do with both.

Jorginho is more a holding player, and would rotate with Matic, whilst Seri is more an 8, who links midfield to attack. The both could play together.

Pogba Seri
Jorginho

Very much doubt we'd see that, mind. Jose likes a bit of height and physicality in his midfield.

Either way, with Carrick retiring and Fellaini looking likely to leave, we need two midfielders.

A holding midfielder - Someone to rotate with Matic.

A playmaker - A number 8 who can control the game from deep, but can also play as a more advanced 8 if/when Pogba is injured/rested.

Seri, Pjanic, Wilshere, Thiago, Modric, Gundogan, etc. Players of that ilk.
Pereira to step in when we need more creativity I feel.

beingshe7don

Pereira to step in when we need more creativity I feel.
I think Pereira has resigned to the fact that we doesn't want to play under Mourinho. He prefers living in Spain and more so with Valencia where he'll be challenging for CL football and gets more game time than what he will over here at OT. Pereira is a good player but he's not someone I would want starting for us game after game. He's like Lingard and Rashford who do very well in certain games but just don't step up like what Pogba has in terms of consistency.

Alabaster Codify7

This seems to have quietly been pretty much sealed. I can see this being our first summer signing, followed by a full-back and another midfielder.

Nick7

It's hilarious to me that so many people here think Rashford is the finished article already.

Nick.

This seems to have quietly been pretty much sealed. I can see this being our first summer signing, followed by a full-back and another midfielder.
What makes you think it's sealed? I haven't heard much other than the tweet posted yesterday.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Judging by Mourinho's comments, I doubt we'll see Pereira much, if at all.
I think Pereira has resigned to the fact that we doesn't want to play under Mourinho. He prefers living in Spain and more so with Valencia where he'll be challenging for CL football and gets more game time than what he will over here at OT. Pereira is a good player but he's not someone I would want starting for us game after game. He's like Lingard and Rashford who do very well in certain games but just don't step up like what Pogba has in terms of consistency.
It's possible, but with Mourinhos comments about 3 in summer previous to the Alexis transfer I can only see 2 coming in now. Don't expect a lot of signings personally and think Pereira would be perfect if we wanted to play a constant 433 and change him in for the more defensive minded midfielder against lower sides.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Says for january only.
Looks like this one will come back in summer unless someone world class becomes available.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think that we've talked with the agent to see if he wants to join us, nothing more nothing less. Napoli are a very difficult club to deal with. Their owner is practically Levy with a tinge of madness in him. If we want him then he'll take us to the cleaners.

Infra-red

It's just an article by MEN a month ago saying that we are 'tracking' him. If we're looking to immediately replace Carrick and provide some competition for Matic, he'd be a good option, but I think we're more likely to move for a youngish understudy.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
We need 2 midfielders.

1. Cover for Pogba AM/box to box

2. Cover for Matic DM
Herrera is a sufficient backup for Matic as long as we get another 8 to cover/balance Pogba. He just can't play alongside Matic.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Herrera is not good enough IMO. Too many misplaced passes.
As a backup DM he will be absolutely fine. Especially if it's a three man midfield with Pogba and another 8.

Devil may care

Herrera isn't good cover for Matic, he's not a DM, he's better as cover for the #8 where he's played the last twice he's gotten game time, where he can press and use his energy higher up the pitch.

Scholsey2004

Herrera isn't good cover for Matic, he's not a DM, he's better as cover for the #8 where he's played the last twice he's gotten game time, where he can press and use his energy higher up the pitch.
I'd argue the opposite. He doesn't really create much going forward but he's solid defensively.

Devil may care

I'd argue the opposite. He doesn't really create much going forward but he's solid defensively.
Not positionally he's not, the holding role is about reading the game, Herrera's best defensive work is done pressing and harrying the opposition, and he scored and played the key pass to set up the 4th against Yeovil so he can add to the offense.

Scholsey2004

Not positionally he's not, the holding role is about reading the game, Herrera's best defensive work is done pressing and harrying the opposition, and he scored and played the key pass to set up the 4th against Yeovil so he can add to the offense.
Well that's false logic though isn't it? Valencia scored a terrific goal earlier this season but that doesnt make him van basten. Herrera's a decent player, good presser, good tackler, decent passer, but he's not really a consistent creative influence.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
This could be a kind of spying transfer. People keep mentioning Mourinho should reinvent himself attackingly. This player speaks Portuguese and must very well versed on Sarri's wonderful attacking tactics.

Devil may care

Well that's false logic though isn't it? Valencia scored a terrific goal earlier this season but that doesnt make him van basten. Herrera's a decent player, good presser, good tackler, decent passer, but he's not really a consistent creative influence.
I never said he was, I just said he can be productive at times in the attack, and he would just be a back-up anyway, his main role would be winning the ball in the their half, it's why Jose has barely rested Matic this season, he knows the holding role isn't suited to Ander's best qualities.

Scholsey2004

I never said he was, I just said he can be productive at times in the attack, and he would just be a back-up anyway, his main role would be winning the ball in the their half, it's why Jose has barely rested Matic this season, he knows the holding role isn't suited to Ander's best qualities.
I'd have said we need more than that from our more forward looking midfielders but I think we've taken up enough of the jorginho thread over a fairly academic point. :)

CA1

I agree with Devil may care.

Herrera is a busy player. He's like a bee chasing a ball made of honey. Not good for a defensive midfielder who's most important attributes are to be positionally sound and read the game well.

Herrera in my opinion is on borrowed time here. I like him in some ways but the debate you're having is an obvious problem. Not good enough defensivley to be a 6, not creative enough to be a top teams 8. His position is number 8 in a team that doesn't rely on its 8 to have guile and creativity on the ball. I'm sorry to say it, but he's our Jordan Henderson. Liverpool have the exact same issue with him.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Herrera is not good enough IMO. Too many misplaced passes.
again this opinion? How is he not good enough he was our best player last year and wasn't good this year but last three games he was again one of the best players on the pitch, granted it was against Derby or Yeovil but I saw Pogba being great against small sides and atrocious in big games too whereas Herrera already showed with at least 5 MOTM against big clubs last season his worth. Absolutely enough for a cover for Matic and his pass completion is one of th ebest in the teams so not sure what you're talking about. He's got a great through ball on him and we rarely get overrun in midfield.

So please stop with this nonsense that he's not good enough, and definitely good enough as a cover and when he hits the top form he's just a starter, the problem is that he was asked to be the main creative player when Pogba was absent and he's not that kind of player, he's too similar to Matic, too accostumed to play deepre and taking similar positions.

We need cover for Pogba, someone creative when he's not playing. We could either go with Milinkovic-Savic and if he's too good to be benched rotate him with Matic who will be 30 in the summer so both could try to play together or buy a different type of player, someone like Seri, someone dynamic who can do the defensive work and being dynamic while playmaking. This is a type of player we dont have and he might fit with the most combinations in midfield..

But Herrera with McTiminay seem to be good covers, we're lacking in the creative department in midfield, not sure if Jose would try Pereira there or his days are over

Reactions: Invictus

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
again this opinion? How is he not good enough he was our best player last year and wasn't good this year but last three games he was again one of the best players on the pitch, granted it was against Derby or Yeovil but I saw Pogba being great against small sides and atrocious in big games too whereas Herrera already showed with at least 5 MOTM against big clubs last season his worth. Absolutely enough for a cover for Matic and his pass completion is one of th ebest in the teams so not sure what you're talking about. He's got a great through ball on him and we rarely get overrun in midfield.

So please stop with this nonsense that he's not good enough, and definitely good enough as a cover and when he hits the top form he's just a starter, the problem is that he was asked to be the main creative player when Pogba was absent and he's not that kind of player, he's too similar to Matic, too accostumed to play deepre and taking similar positions.

We need cover for Pogba, someone creative when he's not playing. We could either go with Milinkovic-Savic and if he's too good to be benched rotate him with Matic who will be 30 in the summer so both could try to play together or buy a different type of player, someone like Seri, someone dynamic who can do the defensive work and being dynamic while playmaking. This is a type of player we dont have and he might fit with the most combinations in midfield..

But Herrera with McTiminay seem to be good covers, we're lacking in the creative department in midfield, not sure if Jose would try Pereira there or his days are over

He nothing like Matic in any shape of form for me buddy. He struggles in an 6 and lacks creativity of an 8. He’s a water carrier at best. I went to most games last year and for me he wasn’t POY although he did have his best season. Just my opinion.

Arka_BleedingRed

In a 3 man midfield, if there is a creative, attacking player like Pogba, and a DM like Matic, the 3 rd mid need not be super creative nor ultra defensive.

What he needs to be is to provide cover for Pogba's forays forward, help Matic shore up defensive duties, use his high energy to press and hassle opponents, carry the ball and sometimes connect the attack with the defence. A high energy, strong box to box presence is needed and I think Ander Herrera is perfect for the role. Last year, he registered 7 assists for the season, quite good for a box to box mid.

That being said, I think his passing has been too conservative at times, and there is the fact that he is not good enough to replace either Pogba or Matic when one is missing. But IMO, he is an excellent option in a midfield 3 with Pogba and Matic.

It is near impossible to replace Pogba(don't think there is a mid now who can do everything that Pogba does to a competitive level, maybe SMS), but in Jorginho, we will find a mid, who can replace Matic whilst still providing a more creative spark from the deep.

RC89

Would be my first pick but
1. Apparently happy at athletico
2. On a very long contract
3. Really high buyout clause I think £150m?
But yeah I think
................ Matic..................
........ Saul.......... Pogba.......
Would be fantastic
Yes, niguez please!

Craig Ward

I agree, I don't think Pereira himself feels he has a future here. After being shipped out on loan again this season, when there was space in the squad for him has done that. 2nd season doing well in La Liga, no trust in him from jose I think he'll go in the summer. Which is a shame, because he would fit in here and develop well. I'd be in favour of us signing one CM and using Pereira more next season, he would come good.

I disagree with the second part of your post. All players go through spells of inconsistency, and I'd certainly put Pogba as one of our worst when it comes to consistency. Pogba has moments in games when he is sensational, but to call him consistent is simply not true

Rashford is rarely used as a striker, he is young and learning the game as it is, without being shipped to LW then RW. He isn't a winger so you cant blame him for not having the best of games out there. Lingard is hot and cold, but its clicked now that he is best centrally, again using someone out of position is bound to hit the consistency.

Status
Not open for further replies.