José looking to sign 6 players in summer - 2CM, LB, RB, W, CB [Times]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Our attack isn't poor, it's good with room for improvement. 10-15 goals extra spread throughout the season is enough really.

Huddersfield 2-1
Southampton 0-0
West Brom 1-0
Brighton 1-0
Newcastle 1-0

That's 14 points dropped that shouldn't have been dropped due to a lack of creating chances. 95 points is a good enough points tally.
Would have made no difference this year... still second!

MUFC OK

Has anyone else noticed that For all the talk of signing experienced players, we do not sign experience in the positions it arguably matters the most - defenders. At the moment we seems little inverted, I'd rather have experienced CBs, youthful Fullbacks and wingers and an experienced Striker. I may just be moaning for moaning's sake.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Would have made no difference this year... still second!
That's a record breaking season for City. I doubt Guardiola himself was planning on going for 100 points but they kept on winning games late on and went on a ridiculous streak.

City will draw a few more games, and lose 1 or 2 more games next season. Which will have them in the high 80s or low 90s. Still a title winning team, but catchable unlike this season.

SpyLuke10

I'm convinced its basically a done deal -

RB: Diogo Dalot
CM1: Fred

Seemingly likely -

LB: Alex Sandro
CB: Toby Alderweireld

Theres a chance, but they seem less likely -

CM2: Sergej Milinkovic-Savic
RW: Gareth Bale

Is signing all 6 of the above realistic?

We'll make some cash from Darmian leaving, as well as Blind probably. Shaw could also leave, but I think it really depends on if Martial were to stay or leave. If he left, I'd be 100% certain that we'd sign at least 1 of the bottom two. The club would want to appease the fans who rightfully would be pissed off about Martial leaving.

If I'm honest, my prediction would be:

- We sign Dalot and Fred before the world cup.
- We sign Alex Sandro just after the world cup, even though we agree a transfer during the tournament but don't announce it till after for marketing purposes.
- Meanwhile, we fail to agree on a deal with Spurs to sign Alderweireld, we instead sign another centre back, whoever that may be.
- If Martial stays, thats our business for the transfer window done. If Martial leaves, we'll sign Bale in addition to the above signings.

The only way I see us signing SMS is if Pogba leaves, which I don't think will happen. But if it did happen, well you could bet your house on us signing SMS.

EDIT: I hope Martial stays and I think Pogba will stay also of course. So I'd predict 4 signings this transfer window. Dalot, Fred, Alex Sandro and some obscure centre back I've barely heard of, say perhaps: Skriniar. Fellaini, Darmian and Blind will leave.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Seemingly likely -

We'll make some cash from Darmian leaving, as well as Blind probably. Shaw could also leave, but I think it really depends on if Martial were to stay or leave. If he left, I'd be 100% certain that we'd sign at least 1 of the bottom two. The club would want to appease the fans who rightfully would be pissed off about Martial leaving.

- We sign Alex Sandro just after the world cup, even though we agree a transfer during the tournament but don't announce it till after for marketing purposes.
- Meanwhile, we fail to agree on a deal with Spurs to sign Alderweireld, we instead sign another centre back, whoever that may be.
- If Martial stays, thats our business for the transfer window done. If Martial leaves, we'll sign Bale in addition to the above signings.

The only way I see us signing SMS is if Pogba leaves, which I don't think will happen. But if it did happen, well you could bet your house on us signing SMS.
Bale won't happen and I doubt SMS will either, we'll sign a younger CM for CM2

Sanche7

Has anyone else noticed that For all the talk of signing experienced players, we do not sign experience in the positions it arguably matters the most - defenders. At the moment we seems little inverted, I'd rather have experienced CBs, youthful Fullbacks and wingers and an experienced Striker. I may just be moaning for moaning's sake.
Toby Alderweireld : 29 years old experienced PL proven CB
Alex Sandro : 27 years old youthful LB
Mandzukic : 32 years old experienced back up
Have two youthful wingers with another highly rated one coming through the academy, not really interested in stick piling more and in the end masking everyone unhappy
Dalot : a cunning opportunistic buy, getting a very highly rated player for 17 mill is a steal.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
After the unnecessary signing of Lindelof, I sure hope this guy Jose is scouting as our future RB shows some potential of being that.
Lindelof might come good and the need was for a CB who can actually distribute the ball.

He had a better second half of the season and defence rarely shine in their first year at United.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
That's a record breaking season for City. I doubt Guardiola himself was planning on going for 100 points but they kept on winning games late on and went on a ridiculous streak.

City will draw a few more games, and lose 1 or 2 more games next season. Which will have them in the high 80s or low 90s. Still a title winning team, but catchable unlike this season.
Who knows! Chelsea looked like world beaters last year and ended 5th this year. But City might maintain the level or even grow. The foundations are very strong, good balance of youth and experience.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
No way Savic will be the second CM if he’s costing £60m+. Likely some younger CM or perhaps even a golden oldie.

Besides, I’d like to see Pereira given a real chance. Not a Luke Shaw chance, a proper run in the team.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Who knows! Chelsea looked like world beaters last year and ended 5th this year. But City might maintain the level or even grow. The foundations are very strong, good balance of youth and experience.
The chances of Man City growing in points total is slim to none. City could be a better team next season, but still get less points for various reasons. Injuries, refereeing decisions, poor finishing at the wrong moments, other teams being better at handling them.

It's a golden rule of football that complacency sets in after winning the league.

As a few examples. Barcelona were arguably a better team going from 09/10 to 10/11. They got rid of Ibra who had struggled in the 2nd half of the season with Villa and Pedro was coming into his own. They still got less points the next season.

Bayern Munich were incredibly strong in his first season. And with the additions of Lewandoski and Xabi Alonso (replacing Kroos and Mandzukic), as well as Thiago and Gotze improving after their first season. They should have maintained that level. But they were considerably worse in his second season.

Bestietom

Have two youthful wingers with another highly rated one coming through the academy, not really interested in stick piling more and in the end masking everyone unhappy
Dalot : a cunning opportunistic buy, getting a very highly rated player for 17 mill is a steal.
You need a Mixture in your side. Experience mixed with youth and athleticism is good. We need speed of thought with experience players, and speed creativity and trickery with youthful players.

MUFC OK

Would really explain our reported targets well, about trying to create a balance in styles and ages in all positions.

Woziak

No way United will make only the 3 signings, the transfer business this window will be both a reaction to last season's 19 point deficit and those player's who will leave like Darmian, Blind, Feillani, Rojo or Jones, Mata or Herrera, Carrick, Zlatan (I think Shaw and maybe Martial will stay one more season) but Mata or Herrera will be sold to try and get the outgoings to 75M. Mata is on 180k so he would help free up the wage bill needed for a marquee signing!

The transfer Market is always moving, if Bale and his agent get no joy from Madrid, deciding to leave for United, PSG finally agree to sell Neymar to Real Madrid then United's strategy will change, therefore it should be assumed delays in any transfers are due to the board and Jose probably having two scenarios, Plan A and Plan B but Jose priority is to buy Wing Backs and at least 1 top centre Midfield player but you have to assume that Plan A includes a Bale, Griezmann, Ronaldo, Sergej Milinokovic Savic or Neymar and funds will be made available as a separate exceptional acquisition to the club.

PLAN A

Bale
, Griezmann, Dyballa, Neymar (in that order of likleness to happen) - 120M
Sandro, D Rose, K Tierney, J Alba, D Alaba - 40M
Fred
, Sergej Milinokovic Savic, Jorginho, Wegl - 53M
Toby Auderweild
, L Bonnuci, J Boatang, Sokratis - 55M
Diago Dalot
, Jao Cancelo, C Soares, T Meunier - 17M

The bold are the most likely options and the total cost would be 285M gross - 80M to 85M the club would generate in sales with fringe players like J Wilson and Sam Johnstone being sold plus a 50% sell on with Wilfred Zaha so probably 200M net spend. The two spurs players which we may end up with may also cost us Martial!

PLAN B

W
illiam
, L Bailey, Goncalo Guedes, Thomas Le Mar
Sandro, Rose, Ghoulam, Guerrera, Betrand
Harry Maguire,
James Tarkowski, Skrippier, L Bonnuci
Fred, Fabian Luiz, Arturo Vidal,
Mandzukic, Anoutivic, Dries Mertens, J Draxler
Diago Dalot, Jao Cancelo, C Soares, S Coleman

Plan B would probably cost £200M with 50M being regained in player sales with a net 150m spend.

There seems to be a real desire for the club to close the gap on City next season, so maybe by the time the window closes the United Squad will most likely feature a combination of both Plan A and B , rest assured we will certainly make more than just 3 signings!

Ram1fy

My understanding of how Jose builds teams - 2 top players for each role. I believe this is how he sees things:

ST

Lukaku

Arnautovic

LW

Sanchez

Rashford

RW

Mata?

Lingard

LCM

Pogba

McTominay

RCM

Fred

Herrera

CDM

Matic

?

RB

Valencia

Dalot

LB

Young

Shaw?

CB

Smalling

Jones

Lindelof

Bailly

GK

De Gea

Romero

Excess to requirements:

Martial

Blind

Mata

Rojo

Darmian

Fellaini

Based on this assumption, I would expect three more signings in addition to Arnautovic, Fred, and Dalot

RW: Willian most likely
CDM: No idea who
LB: No idea who

That should be all for summer 2018. Not

Fer

My understanding of how Jose builds teams - 2 top players for each role. I believe this is how he sees things:

ST

Lukaku

Arnautovic

LW

Sanchez

Rashford

RW

Mata?

Lingard

LCM

Pogba

McTominay

RCM

Fred

Herrera

CDM

Matic

?

RB

Valencia

Dalot

LB

Young

Shaw?

CB

Smalling

Jones

Lindelof

Bailly

GK

De Gea

Romero

Excess to requirements:

Martial

Blind

Mata

Rojo

Darmian

Fellaini

Based on this assumption, I would expect three more signings in addition to Arnautovic, Fred, and Dalot

RW: Willian most likely
CDM: No idea who
LB: No idea who

That should be all for summer 2018. Not
What about CAM position? I think Lingard is better behind the striker. Also, Rashford and Mata are not wingers (at least not for me).

I totally agree with you about 2 players for position. In your analysis, we definitely have too many CBs. We need quality instead of quantity.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
With all the rumours floating around the last few days, if our summer was

Toby, Dalot, Sandro, Fred, Golovin, Smolov and Griezmann/Bale it'd be a summer of quality, quantity and potential and all in the right positions.
Early doors and all, but I'm liking the rumours that are circulating at the very least :lol:

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
With all the rumours floating around the last few days, if our summer was

Toby, Dalot, Sandro, Fred, Golovin, Smolov and Griezmann/Bale it'd be a summer of quality, quantity and potential and all in the right positions.
Early doors and all, but I'm liking the rumours that are circulating at the very least :lol:
So as of now we’re aligned with,

CM2: Golovin
CB: Alderweireld
LB: Sandro
RB: Dalot

...5 out of 6 positions. Leaves us with RW. Bale rumours yes but wouldn’t say aligned. Need some more concrete reports in order for that.

So far I’m happy and can’t be mad really :)

Fer

So as of now we’re aligned with,

CM2: Golovin
CB: Alderweireld
LB: Sandro
RB: Dalot

...5 out of 6 positions. Leaves us with RW. Bale rumours yes but wouldn’t say aligned. Need some more concrete reports in order for that.

So far I’m happy and can’t be mad really :)
Dalot wouldn't be a bad signing, I just prefer a proper RB like Meunier. In fact, I'm a bit jealous of Liverpool. Keita, Fabinho and Fekir? could have been great in our team.

If Tottenham is asking crazy money for Alderweireld, maybe Umtiti (paying his release clause) could be a better option.

BTW, do you prefer Golovin over Savic?

Dalot wouldn't be a bad signing, I just prefer a proper RB like Meunier. In fact, I'm a bit jealous of Liverpool. Keita, Fabinho and Fekir? could have been great in our team.

If Tottenham is asking crazy money for Alderweireld, maybe Umtiti (paying his release clause) could be a better option.

Dalot is a proper RB that's his primary position or do you mean you would prefer a more experienced player?

Fergies Slippers

ST

Lukaku

Arnautovic

LW

Sanchez

Rashford

RW

Mata?

Lingard

LCM

Pogba

McTominay

RCM

Fred

Herrera

CDM

Matic

?

RB

Valencia

Dalot

LB

Young

Shaw?

CB

Smalling

Jones

Lindelof

Bailly

GK

De Gea

Romero
When you line them up like that it hardly screams top players.

Fer

Dalot is a proper RB that's his primary position or do you mean you would prefer a more experienced player?
Ups! My bad...
Yes, I prefer a more experienced player like Sibide, Meunier, etc.

We need a top RB to replace Valencia (not someone to rotate with him). Dalot can be a great RB in a couple of years, but IMO we need to improve our fullbacks as soon as possible.

If you were in charge, which players would you sign?

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Do people really believe we're going to spend in excess of £250m in a single window?

Most we've spent in a single window is around ~£160m last summer, I have a hard time believing we’re going to top that by another £100m.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots

Fair but I can see why José would want an understudy to takeover from Valencia and not just lose his position entirely. And tbh, Dalot from the looks of things has potential to be better than Meunier and one of the best in the world.

Yep, Spurs are being a bit of a pain in the ass. Toby’s value is probably £35m-£42m. £45m seems like the top limit even considering if he were to go to rival. £50m? That’s just them milking it. They know it won’t be met but they’re playing hardball. I can see both sides agreeing to £45m which is still a bit on the pricy side but understandable.

...prefer SMS but I’ve mentioned it before, if we got him he’d sort of be forced in the lineup to fit in. Fred makes sense for balance but SMS being similar to Pogba, no mistake he’s a quality player but I’d worry if the midfield would gel / if he would be a capable linkup man between Matic and Pogba. Fred is, Savic, I’m not so sure but at the same time I definitely wouldn’t be against it and would welcome him with open arms lol. Golovin (if we get him) will come at 1/5th of the cost so that’s something. And the way I see things, there’s a few scenarios:

> massive spend at CM (SMS) + lesser at RW (Willian or whoever) & lose Martial

> big spend at RW (Bale) + lesser spend at CM (Golovin) & maybe keep or lose Martial

> lesser spend at both RW + CM & keep Martial

That’s the way I see CM+RW signings unfolding and the consequences/at what cost they come at. Tbh, I’d prefer the 1st scenario. If not that, then the 2nd and being able to keep Martial for another year. If not that, I guess we settle with the last scenario but it’s one I wouldn’t prefer. Fred/Alderweireld/Sandro would all be good-great starting acquisitions. Dalot not a starter/time share with Valencia. I think we need 1 great-world class signing to make up ground to City whether that be SMS or Bale thus why I would prefer the first 2. If we get let’s say Fred/Toby/Sandro/Willian, that’s 4 good-great starters with Dalot+Golovin being time sharers/bench options. I mean the latter wouldn’t be terrible by any means or the end of the world but it’s the lesser of the 3 scenarios imho.

Last edited:

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Do people really believe we're going to spend in excess of £250m in a single window?

Most we've spent in a single window is around ~£160m last summer, I have a hard time believing we’re going to top that by another £100m.
No one’s saying £250m. That’s Sheikh money aka City and we simply can’t afford that.

However, I can see the budget being upped to around £175m + another £60m to spend if it means Martial is sold and recouped for that amount.

Ups! My bad...

We need a top RB to replace Valencia (not someone to rotate with him). Dalot can be a great RB in a couple of years, but IMO we need to improve our fullbacks as soon as possible.

I agree with you - I would prefer an experienced player to come in and slot straight into the team, I really like the look of Sidibe he's very dynamic going forward.

❤

Ram1fy

What about CAM position? I think Lingard is better behind the striker. Also, Rashford and Mata are not wingers (at least not for me).

I totally agree with you about 2 players for the position. In your analysis, we definitely have too many CBs. We need quality instead of quantity.
I agree regarding the CAM position but just put him there because I am convinced 4 3 3 is the way forward. For his own good, Mata needs to leave United. He is the kind of player who can only do well if he is running the show from a playmaking point of view.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
I know!!!!
You’re forgetting to throw in a Sandro, Alderweireld, CM (Golovin, Savic ?), and RW (Bale, Willian ?) in there.

...only included 2 potential signings in your list (Dalot+Fred) missing 3-4 others which will happen.

Woziak

Looking at all the posts today about who United may or may not sign and after a heated debate with some friends who support Spurs and Chelsea, we all agreed that there is really only a maximum 7 or 8 World class players on current form playing in the EPL and United have just one, David De Gea, with two more having the potential to be world class.

Looking at all those lists on this forum it makes you really understand just how important this window is for the club, we simply have to sign a 'Game Changer', A player who scares the opposition in the same way Salah, De Bruyne, Silva, Aguero, Kane and Hazard do!

That means that either Sergej Milinokovic Savic, Bale, Griezmann, Marco Reus, that type of player must be our priority and surely Woodward and the board would have to look at this type of transfer as an exceptional case in terms of a transfer budget or maybe to accommodate the marquee player, we will only sign 3 of the players from the list below rather than 5!

The much rumoured £150M budget plus player Sales of £50M would only just buy you Fred, Da Lot, Toby, Sandro, Mandzukic, all of which would considerably improve the squad but how many of those players really strike the fear of death into the opposition?

Last edited by a moderator:

Fer

Looking at all the posts today about who United may or may not sign and after a heated debate with some friends who support Spurs and Chelsea, we all agreed that there is really only a maximum 7 or 8 World class players on current form playing in the EPL and United have just one, David De Gea, with two more having the potential to be world class.

Looking at all those lists on this forum it makes you really understand just how important this window is for the club, we simply have to sign a 'Game Changer', A player who scares the opposition in the same way Salah, De Bruyne, Silva, Aguero, Kane and Hazard do!

That means that either Sergej Milinokovic Savic, Bale, Griezmann, Marco Reus, that type of player must be our priority and surely Woodward and the board would have to look at this type of transfer as an exceptional case in terms of a transfer budget or maybe to accommodate the marquee player, we will only sign 3 of the players from the list below rather than 5!

The much rumoured £150M budget plus player Sales of £50M would only just buy you Fred, Da Lot, Toby, Sandro, Mandzukic, all of which would considerably improve the squad but how many of those players really strike the fear of death into the opposition?
Well, players like Sandro, Alderweireld and Fred would bring balance to our team. Hopefully, we can see the best of Pogba and Sanchez with those signings.

Also, we need a new RW rather than a back-up striker.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots

I get the gist of what you’re saying, generally agree; echoed the same thoughts a few posts up.

Why I prefer we get a big signing/game changer whether it be SMS or Bale. The other good-great players we’re going to sign regardless. We need a guy in that great-world class range to give us that extra gear.

A well balanced squad can only take you so far. You need a game breaker or 2 to be the best, that’s what makes the difference. Sort of like having 4 quarters or 1 dollar. We’ll have enough quarters, we need a dollar to match the other dollar in De Gea which we already have :)

Edit:
And then there’s Pogba who if he puts it together / we get the right CM to partner with him & Matic, will be another great-world class player + Alexis who’ll start the season fresh...we have 1 certain WC player in DDG. Alexis and Pogba are potentially 3 but they’re on and off. A 4th one consistent or not (whether it be a Bale or a SMS) imo is enough to override/balance it.

Last edited:

jesperjaap

Seemingly likely -

EDIT: I hope Martial stays and I think Pogba will stay also of course. So I'd predict 4 signings this transfer window. Dalot, Fred, Alex Sandro and some obscure centre back I've barely heard of, say perhaps: Skriniar. Fellaini, Darmian and Blind will leave.
So basically, your'e convinced by everything you read in the press

jesperjaap

Ups! My bad...

I know he has barely played and is very young and a new culture etc etc so its a big ask.....but if he is as talented as reports suggest, why cant he come in and within the season improve us, especially as people seem to think Valencia is so bad (I dont) so easy to improve on?
Obviously like most never seen him (didnt watch Liverpool game) I have seen a bit of Sidibe and Meunier though, personally they both look like good full backs but not great ones and Meunier in particular seems to be really overly hyped on here...maybe due to his supporting on our club?

jesperjaap

I think if there is a Bale/Neymar/Griezman type signing, then definately yes as I cant believe we wont be signing less than four players, I reckon there will be five.

I dont think we will make such a signing though personally, but I do think we will spend over £200m or there abouts on 5 players, two of which will be names not getting mentioned all the time, such as the recent Dalot links.

So I do think it will be a good window numbers and talent wise this summer that will improve us. SAdly bar the Carrick retirement and Fellaini contract situation, I dont think there will be as many outgoing as there should be, I expect Darmain and Blind to be the only outgoings unless Martial does decide to leave and that we will see Tuanzabe, TFM, Perreira, Gomes ad maybe even CHong loane out though personally I would rather most were promoted and that we saw two out of Rojo/Smalling/Lindelof/Jones sold along with Mata

el3mel

Well, we should if we want catch up with City, they have spent 200m alone last summer.

Andersons Dietician

The press in probably just the last week have probably linked us with about a 500 mil plus spend. Griezman probably around 100mil, Bale probably similar possibly more, SMS 105mil now Verratti at 100 mil, Dalot 20, Sandro 60, Fred 52 and Toby 70. That would be insane if any of it were true.
I’d imagine it’s more along the lines of Griezman or Bale. SMS or Verratti but the press are really going for it this summer.

Devil may care

The defensive players we are linked with are on point.

CB: Alderweireld - Would add the composed leadership at the back to partner one of our more brash CB's.
LB: Sandro - About as logical of a signing as we can make, perfect fit all round in a position we badly need.
RB: Dalot - I get why some think he's too inexperienced, but I wasn't sold on the likes of Sidibie and Cancelo, and this kid is very highly rated so I like the risk.

If this Fred thing is really happening I hope the 2nd CM is a top tier one, someone that can add some control and composure to the midfield.

As for the winger, I think Bale is a huge risk given how much he'll cost, but I'd prefer him over any of the other attackers we've been linked with.

I know he has barely played and is very young and a new culture etc etc so its a big ask.....but if he is as talented as reports suggest, why cant he come in and within the season improve us, especially as people seem to think Valencia is so bad (I dont) so easy to improve on?
Obviously like most never seen him (didnt watch Liverpool game) I have seen a bit of Sidibe and Meunier though, personally they both look like good full backs but not great ones and Meunier in particular seems to be really overly hyped on here...maybe due to his supporting on our club?
That and the fact he has a good connection with Lukaku for the national team and he's a big unit like Ivanovic, which we know gets Mourinho hot and bothered.

yo@Kirk

It makes no sense to sell Martial when we don't know what level Sanchez will play at for United. He had 19 appearances and over 1500 minutes playing time to score 3 goals for United. I don't see why it takes a 29 year old world class attacking player so long to settle when 19 year old Anthony Martial got off a plane from France in Sept. 2015, signed his contract, put on a United shirt, and scored 3 goals in 115 minutes vs Liverpool and Southhampton.

Tony247

Veratti is proper no. 10. It would be a major squad boost. fingers crossed

Status
Not open for further replies.