• Martial - 70m
  • Blind - 10m
  • Darmian - 15m
  • Fellaini - 0
  • Carrick - 0
  • Pereira - 10m
  • Rojo (hopefully) - 20m
  • Mata (hopefully) - 15m
Total: £100-140m (dependent on last 2 leaving)

Budget is there for another big midfield or attacking purchase though. Just no idea who.
Absolutely no chance of getting him that cheap

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I would say we will definitely sign four players. Maybe a fifth. But six seems too high.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
No way are we buying players worth atleast 290m!

Lets include the outs as well.

Martial - 60m
Shaw- 25m (max)
Blind- 15m (max)
Smalling/Jones 25m
And that is it.

Net spend of roughly 170m is unlikely
Reports are saying it’ll be ~£35m along with Darmian (£20m value) to get Sandro. So that’s £15m difference.

The way I see it: SMS 60, Fred/Jorg 40, CB 40, Sandro 35, RB 35. That’s 210m for 5 positions which I don’t see as far fetched considering United’s average budget has been £150m the last 2 summers. Extra £50m is doable especially with how hard United will push and are supposedly going to, fully backing Mourinho and all...and the 6th position (RW) being funded by Martial which we’ll save money on. Martial goes for 60 imo. Only way we spend 60 is if we get Bale and even then I think he’d come at around 50. Fred/Mahrez are 40 range.

This is my assessment of how 6 signings will be possible. 4 would be the norm. Mourinho has the boards backing and they’ll give him a 5th. The 6th will made possible if Martial ends up being sold.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Personally would like to see Sandro, Alderweireld, RW and for midfield Kroos, Thiago or Saul Niguez.

One of those last 3 would be enough to send me into muppet heaven.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Signing a center back is such a poor choice and display poor management. We have 5 capable first team center back, we won’t need another one. That is the last position we need.

Eitherway:

CM: not needed, cdm maybe if Fellaini and Blind leaves

CM: Fred or SMS

Lw/RW: Willian and Kluivet, Leon Bailey or Pulisic(stakeholders happiness)

CB: Not needed

LB: Tierney and/or Ryan Sessegnon

RB: Ordiorozola

Alabaster Codify7

I don't expect us to sign a winger, I've given up expecting Jose to address the elephant in the room - the complete and utter lack of ANYTHING down the right hand side. It's baffling management.

We'll get a RB, a LB and two CM's I reckon. 4 players, not 6.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Absolutely no chance of getting him that cheap
Maybe if this was 2 years ago. He’s been pretty terrible this year. You can ask Spurs fans yourself and they say it. That’s due to injuries and him getting up there in age (will be 30 next year) and he essentially lost his starting role.

I’m sure Spurs would gladly accept £40m if they even got such an offer.

Von Mistelroum

I think we'll sign three players. A LB, MF and RW hopefully, but we could do with at least 6.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I hope one of these will be a striker.
We desperately need a "backup" striker, when Lukaku having a stinker. I can't trust Rashford yet as the only backup.

That guy from Leicester looks alright in big games.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Reports are saying it’ll be ~£35m along with Darmian (£20m value) to get Sandro. So that’s £15m difference.

The way I see it: SMS 60, Fred/Jorg 40, CB 40, Sandro 35, RB 35. That’s 210m for 5 positions which I don’t see as far fetched considering United’s average budget has been £150m the last 2 summers. Extra £50m is doable especially with how hard United will push and are supposedly going to, fully backing Mourinho and all...and the 6th position (RW) being funded by Martial which we’ll save money on. Martial goes for 60 imo. Only way we spend 60 is if we get Bale and even then I think he’d come at around 50. Fred/Mahrez are 40 range.

This is my assessment of how 6 signings will be possible. 4 would be the norm. Mourinho has the boards backing and they’ll give him a 5th. The 6th will made possible if Martial ends up being sold.
What decent RB could we get for 35m? Someone like Darmian who we desperately try to get rid?
And a CB that cost "only" 40m won't be better than what we have now. The unknown Bailly and Lindelof cost almost that a year or two ago.

Last edited:

YouOnlyLiveTwice

RB: Pereira/Meunier

CB: Alderweireld/Umtiti/Koulibaly

LB: Sandro/Telles/Tierney

DM: Neves/Jorginho/Weigl

CM: Fred/Barella

RW: Willian/Pulisic

:devil::drool:

Kidders

My guess is we sell/lose the following:
Romero ......he should be playing more first team football, sad loss
Darmian.....not wanted by Jose, no loss
Blind.....as above
Shaw.....as above but maybe a loss
One of Rojo, Jones or Smalling, to make way for Alderwiereld
Mata....times up, sad loss
Fellaini......please please and please.
Martial.....we simply can't fit him in now we have Sanchez, huge loss
Carrick......retired
And despite wishful thinking, maybe loanees Periera & TFM

Therefore with maybe 9/10/11 leaving we need to buy and/or promote 6 as a minimum, I don't think the article is too from the truth, 2 FB's, a CB, 2 CM's and for christ sake a RW/RF

Two signings need to be world class..i say at CM & RW/RF the others need to be serious first team contenders, It's a big ask to gel half a team into what we already have but as long as we buy from the top shelf, it's not impossible, DDG, Matic, Pogba, Lukaku and Sanchez are probably the only players close to guaranteed starters when fit and in form, it's not muppetry, yes I think we need 6.

TehRed

CM is probably going to be one of SMS or Fred, or both if Fellaini leaves. Looks like City are now prioritising Jorginho over Fred. There's still a chance of Seri as well, possibly if SMS proves to be too expensive in our grander transfer plan. All of these players are very good in their own right and have good skill on the ball, so we should be fine with whomever we go with. Seri and Fred are probably the ones with the better defensive ability and lower price compared to Savic, who is very similar to Pogba. I think we're all hoping that Fellaini leaves and we sign two of those three to replace him and Carrick.

We're linked with Sandro, Sessegnon, Rose and Tierney at LB - I think Sessegnon works better as a winger or a wing back, rather than an orthodox full back. Sandro also has played as a winger but he's more of an up and down full back or wing back with great end product. I can see Tierney staying at Celtic for now. Rose has struggled with injuries and a lack of form this season, we knw he's a decent left back from last season but he hasn't shown it for a while. I think Sandro is the one we all want but he's likely to be the most expensive and hardest to get of the lot, though we can't forget that we'll likely be sending Darmian in the opposite direction to Juve so that may give us an advantage over a lot of his other suitors.

CB seems to be either Alderweireld or Umtiti, and precisely none of us will be surprised when Umtiti renews his contract with Barca after using our interest as a bargaining chip for improved terms. Alderweireld is a great choice for us given his experience in the league, and he's got the composure and organisation that the team has needed. He'll likely replace one of Smalling or Rojo, with Tuanzebe likely taking Blind's spot. I'm sure Jose would like to tempt Varane away from Real but I don't see that happening. We've been linked with Maguire, who has plenty of composure too, and could be an interesting choice. Alderweireld seems like the obvious choice to me, though.

RB is probably the toughest spot to fill at the moment, as any decent signing will cost a fair old sum. I think Young gets more games at RB if we sign a LB, Jose has alread said he hopes for Young to play a lot next season but that won't happen if he sits on the bench behind a new LB signing. Losing Shaw, Darmian and Blind means we will be short on depth at LB, so Young will likely be the first choice to rotate with and cover for any new signing, which means Valencia still gets games at RB. There's a chance we keep Fosu-Mensah around to compete with Valencia and Young. A lot of us would like to see Meunier come in to take the starting RB spot, but with Dani Alves getting injured, Meunier is likely to be starting a lot more games at PSG now. Odriozola would be a nice signing for us at RB as he's young enough to not demand to start every game, and can eventually replace Valencia and Young, but the same can be said for Fosu-Mensah.

RW is where the big money will be spent, if we do make a signing here. There's been a lot of talk in the papers that Jose doesn't want to sign any attacking players in the coming window, but at the same time we all see RW as the weak spot in the team. If Martial leaves then we definitely make a signing here, and he would command a decent fee too so we would be within our rights to make a big signing. Another nice move to make would be to send Martial to Juve and take Dybala off their hands in return. He likes to drift inside and isn't the out and out winger that a lot of us want to see, as we've had problems with Mata and Lingard drifting inside off the right flank rather than providing width and helping Valencia. Fekir is another player who drifts in from wide. Bale is always linked with us, and perhaps this is finally the season that we see that move materialise. There's also a chance we go for the likes of Pulisic, Kluivert or Bailey, or try to tempt Mahrez away from City. Willian is a known and trusted commodity for Jose, and makes sense in that regard. Whoever it proves to be, if anyone, they will cost a lot and necessitate the departure of Martial.

I see us getting one LB, at least one CM (two if Fellaini leaves) and probably one more attacking player. I think we only move for a CB if we lose Smalling or Rojo as well as Blind, and I think we only get a RB in if we see space in the transfer budget.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
My predicted 6:
  1. Umtiti (53m release clause)
  2. Skriniar (50m)
  3. Vasquez (35m)
  4. Sandro (35m + Darmian)
  5. Fred (40m)
  6. Neves (40m)
We'll lose: Darmian, Blind, Carrick, Shaw, Martial, Jones/Smalling

We'll play: 3-4-2-1

Lukaku
Sub: Rashford

Sanchez Pogba
Subs: Lingard, Mata, Fellaini

Sandro Fred Matic Vasquez
Subs: Young, Herrera, Neves, McTominay, Valencia

Umtiti Skriniar Bailly
Subs: Rojo, Smalling/Jones, Lindelof

Alderweirald goes to Barca. De Vrij to Inter.

Last edited:

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
My predicted 6:
  1. Umtiti (53m release clause)
  2. Skriniar (50m)
  3. Vasquez (35m)
  4. Sandro (30m + Darmian)
  5. Fred (40m)
  6. Neves (40m)
We'll lose: Darmian, Blind, Carrick, Shaw, Martial, Jones/Smalling

We'll play: 3-4-2-1

Lukaku
Sub: Rashford

Sanchez Pogba
Subs: Lingard, Mata, Fellaini

Sandro Fred Matic Vasquez
Subs: Young, Herrera, Neves, McTominay, Valencia

Umtiti Skriniar Bailly
Subs: Rojo, Smalling/Jones, Lindelof

Alderweirald goes to Barca. De Vrij to Inter.
Sandro, possible.
Fred, possible

But we're kidding ourselves if we think we're getting the rest;Umtiti and Neves in particular

Highfather_24

Same.

If it comes to it, I think RB will be left since they can rely on Valencia to give 1 more year. And better to have Valencia and a new RW to link up with than a new RB and no RW. Sandro (knock on wood) will link up with Sanchez on the left so the right side can do with or without Valencia as long as we get a RW.
I trust Shaw more on the left than Valencia on the right. I think Valencia is done. I want Shaw to stay as the main left back for one more season to prove himself, with Rojo/Young as backup, with a new right back, and Valencia/TFM as backup. I also think we need a new RW should Mata/Martial leave.

IMO we need 4 new signings before next season. A CB, RB, CM and a RW. That would complete our team. But another LB and CM would add even more depth and class.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
Sandro, possible.
Fred, possible

But we're kidding ourselves if we think we're getting the rest;Umtiti and Neves in particular
You're probably right. We're kidding ourselves thinking United will sign 6 players in the first place!

But in the unlikely event we do, i hope we beef up the defence with ball playing centre backs.

Here's hoping there's no smoke without fire in the Umtiti rumours. That Inter's failure to secure UCL football & bring in De Vrij unsettles Skriniar. That Jorge Mendes & Mou connection leads Neves to OT. And that Vasquez chases more game time with a manager he's worked with before.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
No chance we sign 5-6 this summer.

As much as I'd love it to happen I just don't see it.

dutchred

do we need so many players or do we need to make better use of the players that we have

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
You're probably right. We're kidding ourselves thinking United will sign 6 players in the first place!

But in the unlikely event we do, i hope we beef up the defence with ball playing centre backs.

Here's hoping there's no smoke without fire in the Umtiti rumours. That Inter's failure to secure UCL football & bring in De Vrij unsettles Skriniar. That Jorge Mendes & Mou connection leads Neves to OT. And that Vasquez chases more game time with a manager he's worked with before.
I'd love him in particular but I feel a left sided player is probably what we need more unless we are thinking of losing Herera or another of the right sided playes we seem to have a plethora of

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
So we need to sign 6 players to get closer to City, and still stay in second position? Maybe this will help us reach CL quarter finals next year? How about our board start demanding from our managers to actually get the best out of good players they have first, and then start buying them players they think they need?

C'est Moi Cantona

Recent history tell us signing too many players isn't a good idea, I'd be very happy with a LB, CM, and a RW, with no more than Blind, Darmian, and Shaw leaving, a RB on top would be a bonus this summer, long term we need alot more but not all at once.

AndyJ1985

Recent history tell us signing too many players isn't a good idea, I'd be very happy with a LB, CM, and a RW, with no more than Blind, Darmian, and Shaw leaving, a RB on top would be a bonus this summer, long term we need alot more but not all at once.
What exactly would be the issue with signing them all at once? We don't even play like a cohesive team, so I fail to see how it'll be detrimental.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Whatever we do I hope it gets done quick for a change.

Can’t be bothered with long drawn out sagas but it’s guarenteed I’m sure.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's not a good idea if you sign the wrong players. Alternatively you can look at the rebuild that Pep did at City.

We need changes, that much is obvious. It's not so much drastic, but replacing 2 aging fullbacks, getting a reliable center back, and replacing 2 outgoing midfielders in a group that isnt good enough to begin with, along with replacing one of our most promising attackers and very few pace options (Martial).

A lot of it is replacing outgoing options. Carrick, fellaini, martial, then Valencia and young in the first 11 due to age (or shaw/darmian/blind as squad players). That's 5 players right away (with likely 6 out at least in those positions), and 4 to go directly in first 11. Then you have our center back issue, with 3 who are always injured, 1 who has no physical presence, and one who is useless on the ball to the point where he wont get called up to the WC despite being a good defender and somewhat reliable for us.

Might not all happen in the summer window, but it will feel incomplete and we'll be lacking in areas until we get a left back, right back, central midfielder and winger. Plus lacking in depth unless we sign 2 mids.

C'est Moi Cantona

What exactly would be the issue with signing them all at once? We don't even play like a cohesive team, so I fail to see how it'll be detrimental.
Spurs did it and it was a disaster, everyone was praising Everton for been bold and signing so many last season and look what happened, we are on the whole poor to watch, but we are still second, and in a final, and whilst Jose is here I doubt whoever we sign will see much of an uplift in performances, so might as well keep the ship nice and steady and not go crazy.

C'est Moi Cantona

It's not a good idea if you sign the wrong players. Alternatively you can look at the rebuild that Pep did at City.

We need changes, that much is obvious. It's not so much drastic, but replacing 2 aging fullbacks, getting a reliable center back, and replacing 2 outgoing midfielders in a group that isnt good enough to begin with, along with replacing one of our most promising attackers and very few pace options (Martial).

A lot of it is replacing outgoing options. Carrick, fellaini, martial, then Valencia and young in the first 11 due to age (or shaw/darmian/blind as squad players). That's 5 players right away (with likely 6 out at least in those positions), and 4 to go directly in first 11. Then you have our center back issue, with 3 who are always injured, 1 who has no physical presence, and one who is useless on the ball to the point where he wont get called up to the WC despite being a good defender and somewhat reliable for us.

Might not all happen in the summer window, but it will feel incomplete and we'll be lacking in areas until we get a left back, right back, central midfielder and winger. Plus lacking in depth unless we sign 2 mids.
I just don't see much point, the areas we are most at need are LB to replace a failed Shaw, we need to replace Carrick, but as Jose has such a soft spot for Mctominay I'm not sure we haven't done that already, although I'm sure deep down he knows we need alot more in midfield, then the RW place which has been such an issue for so long will surely be sorted this summer, so if we got say Sandro, Savic, and Willian then I'm sure that'd be enough for now to keep things steady under Jose, to get a another midfielder, CB's, and more on top of that won't really do alot performance/results wise imo.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Whatever we do I hope it gets done quick for a change.

Can’t be bothered with long drawn out sagas but it’s guarenteed I’m sure.
We've generally completed our business quickly under Jose.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I really can't see us signing six players, five at a stretch.
and Mourinho has said on numerous occasions we wont be one of the biggest spenders this summer.

This is just people wanting to play fantasy football.... which as long as we admit thats what we are doing can be fun.... so heres my 6 in and out :p

In:
Sessegnon
Odriozola
Lascelles
Dier
Aouar
Thauvin

Out:
Shaw
Darmian
Smalling
Fellaini
Carrick
Ibrahimovic (well he has already gone.)

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
It's really stupid to be buying another CB. We might just need to do it, but one of Bailly and Lindelof should have been good enough buys to be counted on next year i think.

I really do hope we are going to be more active in the marked this time around, in both incomings and outgoings. It seems almost unrealistic but I think 5-6 players in, and a good few out would be the way to go this summer.

AndyJ1985

Spurs did it and it was a disaster, everyone was praising Everton for been bold and signing so many last season and look what happened, we are on the whole poor to watch, but we are still second, and in a final, and whilst Jose is here I doubt whoever we sign will see much of an uplift in performances, so might as well keep the ship nice and steady and not go crazy.
They went with a scattergun approach and bought loads of shit in a mad rush to spend their lottery wins after selling Bale and Lukaku. If we buy 6 quality players who fit the team I don't see why it wouldn't work. We pretty much rely on individual skill rather than team play so replacing 6 players with 6 better ones should improve us.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
and Mourinho has said on numerous occasions we wont be one of the biggest spenders this summer.

This is just people wanting to play fantasy football.... which as long as we admit thats what we are doing can be fun.... so heres my 6 in and out :p

In:
Sessegnon
Odriozola
Lascelles
Dier
Aouar
Thauvin

Out:
Shaw
Darmian
Smalling
Fellaini
Carrick
Ibrahimovic (well he has already gone.)
@ bolded, false he’s never said that

@ Dier, oh dear! :nervous:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I just don't see much point, the areas we are most at need are LB to replace a failed Shaw, we need to replace Carrick, but as Jose has such a soft spot for Mctominay I'm not sure we haven't done that already, although I'm sure deep down he knows we need alot more in midfield, then the RW place which has been such an issue for so long will surely be sorted this summer, so if we got say Sandro, Savic, and Willian then I'm sure that'd be enough for now to keep things steady under Jose, to get a another midfielder, CB's, and more on top of that won't really do alot performance/results wise imo.
I agree those 3 for example would have the biggest impacts, but in terms of normal squad development, we have no backups to Valencia (unless young will be backup for both/TFM coming back), and Valencia himself is 33 and probably shouldn't be starting anymore anyway. So TFM coming back could be counted as part of the incomings, Alderweireld at Cb definitely looks like something we'll go for, regardless of if it's truly needed or not (will for sure improve us if he stays fit, but our own CBs would improve us if they stayed fit).

In midfield, mourinhos said the most though. Pogba, matic and Herrera are essentially our only reliable players. Fellaini is gone because of contract (hopefully/probably), carrick is retired, while McTominay, regardless of getting minutes this season, is unlikely to have much of a role next season. He doesnt really do much out there more then adding the numbers. With Pogbas unreliability and standard injuries for everyone, Mourinho will definitely want 2 more. You need a big squad, and since we'll probably play with a midfield 3 a decent amount, having 6 options (one of those being McTominay as a younger option) is pretty normal. Again, Pereira could be one of the 2 incoming to be the creative squad player, but I doubt hes staying.

Its a short window, but I'd expect pretty significant movements. Rojo, darmian, shaw, blind, fellaini, carrick, Mata and Martial are all either pointless under Mourinho, are going to leave this summer for more playing time, or just flat out not good enough. Thats not even getting to younger players who might go out on loan or be sold or might stay like Pereira, tuanzebe, Fosu-Mensah, Mctominay. Not all will move on this summer like Mata or Rojo I would guess, but those 2 probably within the next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.