José looking to sign 6 players in summer - 2CM, LB, RB, W, CB [Times]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
What exactly would be the issue with signing them all at once? We don't even play like a cohesive team, so I fail to see how it'll be detrimental.
Maybe upsetting the dressing room, team mentality or something? I agree with you tho, No we aren't cohesive and it's the exact reason i think we should use this opportunity to shop around. We can't just sell Shaw without replacing him, and the same with the likes of Blind, Fellaini, Darmian, Jones. And we DO need a right wing too. So even if it is unrealistic that we pull it off in a WC year, it is the right thing to try for.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If it were true and he wants 6, just for fun here's my wishlist:

DDG

Munier
Alderweirald

Bailly
Sandro

SMS

Matic/Neves
Pogba

Wilian
Lukaku
Sanchez

Walters_19_MuFc

Doubt we'll sign 6 players. According to Mourinho, having signed Sanchez in January, he only feels we need two transfers in the summer.

"Our transfer market in the summer will be short," he said towards the end of last month. Mourinho also indicated there would be just two additions.

"We get one or two players just to improve a little bit the squad and then in the summer you are going to do it again," he said of Alexis Sanchez's January arrival. "No. In the summer, we would probably have three transfers to do. If we do one now, in the summer it is three minus one." And there is one area Mourinho has promised not to strengthen.

"I don’t want attacking players, so don’t speak about attacking players that are coming here because nobody is coming here," he stressed two weeks ago. "We have Mata, Lukaku, Rashford, Martial, Alexis, I don’t want attacking players, speculation in the summer you have to go to other areas, attacking players I am really happy."

That said, we definitely need to purchase more than two players going into next season. Not sure we need six, but we need more than two. Priorities should be:

Left back
Centre midfielder
Right Winger

L1nk

This is most likely bull, 5 at a stretch, id say 4 is probably the max, depending on departures. However, i'll indulge, if we were to sign 6 players i'd like to see...

CM - Any 2 of Ruben Neves/Julian Weigl/Jorginho/SMS/Fred/Fabinho
LB - Sessegnon/Tierney
RB - Meunier (or give TFM a shot)
RW - Pulisic
CB - Alderweireld/de Ligt

snk123

Must have been living under a rock but who the feck is SMS??

El-Manos

Savic and Sandro will definitely happen I reckon. A lot of smoke regarding those in the last 2 months, I reckon we're heavily in pursuit. After them it's anyone's guess really, maybe Alderweireld?

haram

That’s what we need. If we are to fill all of those positions players like Martial will have to leave.

Bwuk

Doubt we'll sign 6 players. According to Mourinho, having signed Sanchez in January, he only feels we need two transfers in the summer.

"Our transfer market in the summer will be short," he said towards the end of last month. Mourinho also indicated there would be just two additions.

"We get one or two players just to improve a little bit the squad and then in the summer you are going to do it again," he said of Alexis Sanchez's January arrival. "No. In the summer, we would probably have three transfers to do. If we do one now, in the summer it is three minus one." And there is one area Mourinho has promised not to strengthen.

"I don’t want attacking players, so don’t speak about attacking players that are coming here because nobody is coming here," he stressed two weeks ago. "We have Mata, Lukaku, Rashford, Martial, Alexis, I don’t want attacking players, speculation in the summer you have to go to other areas, attacking players I am really happy."

That said, we definitely need to purchase more than two players going into next season. Not sure we need six, but we need more than two. Priorities should be:

Left back
Centre midfielder
Right Winger
That was then, this is now. Our attack was god awful the second half of the season.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
That was then, this is now. Our attack was god awful the second half of the season.
Our attack is largely awful second half due to the service they get. Lukaku and Sanchez will get 50 goals between them if they are supplied. Lingard and Rashford to get 30 between them. Pogba gets a good amount, and Melinkovic Savic is a good goalscorer as well.

We have scored 100 goals this season, with 68 in the league. That figure can be increased by 15-20% with a better midfield and fullbacks to create more chances.

Havak

Pokemon master
It's a difficult one, assuming José wants roughly 25-26 man squad again (maybe a tad larger including a few younger players). This is first-team squad from this season:

de Gea, Romero, J.Pereira
Valencia, Young, Smalling, Bailly, Jones, Rojo, Lindelof, Shaw, Darmian, Blind
Pogba, Matic, Herrera, Fellaini, Carrick, McTominay
Mata, Lingard
Lukaku, Ibrahimovic/Sanchez, Rashford, Martial

Again, will José want to try and keep a squad of even more players than 25 happy? You have to assume McTominay is not going on loan, so he is in the plans. Carrick is obviously gone, with Blind and Darmian extremely likely to go. Fellaini and Shaw are in that kind of bracket too, so if they all go, that's five removed leaving us with 20. However, are Fosu-Mensah, Tuanzebe, and Andreas Pereira coming back to play in the first-team squad? If so, that's three slots taken.

Unless we get rid of a player or two who are more 'regular' choices for us, it's unlikely we sign more than three new players. The centreback one is the real mystery as Rojo has barely featured after the injury, but recently signed a new long-term deal with the club. I don't see why he's tied down to 4- or 5-years if the deal was just to hopefully get more money for him, so I'd have to think he's staying. Bailly has gone from probably the mainstay to who knows what at this stage. Lindelof has only had a year and has definitely improved. Smalling is the name that gets thrown around the most, but I am baffled as to why. He always plays when fit. He's José's first pick. If anyone is likely to be sold in order for us to get a new CB, then it's got to be Jones.

Martial is probably the most likely to leave from the forwards, just because Lukaku is going to always play and there's too much competition for the left side of the attack.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Cheers. How come his named is being repeated so much all of a sudden?
He’s thee midfielder to get this summer for any big club in need.

23 years of age, proven, and very technically gifted.

snk123

Fred is someone i'd love to have in midfield. Someone who can run with the ball.

Andersons Dietician

Can’t really see it being 6 unless there are some absolute bargains to be had. Problem is the players we would need to improve this squad aren’t going to be cheap. And to get 6 in I think would cost more than 200 mil.

Bwuk

You know attacks build from the back yes? We need two top full backs and if we get them that will right a lot of wrongs in our play.
Whilst I agree with you, I don’t think you can solely blame our defence on our attack being poor.

Sing you a song

Recent history tell us signing too many players isn't a good idea, I'd be very happy with a LB, CM, and a RW, with no more than Blind, Darmian, and Shaw leaving, a RB on top would be a bonus this summer, long term we need alot more but not all at once.
Then who is going to score the goals city scored over 40 more than us in the lge this season will a RW make up the difference?
We need a world class forward someone who can guarantee at least 25 goals.
Attacking full backs may help Lukaku get another 8 or 10 but that still leaves us woefully short at the business end of the pitch

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Whilst I agree with you, I don’t think you can solely blame our defence on our attack being poor.
Our attack isn't poor, it's good with room for improvement. 10-15 goals extra spread throughout the season is enough really.

Huddersfield 2-1
Southampton 0-0
West Brom 1-0
Brighton 1-0
Newcastle 1-0

That's 14 points dropped that shouldn't have been dropped due to a lack of creating chances. 95 points is a good enough points tally.

Bwuk

Then who is going to score the goals city scored over 40 more than us in the lge this season will a RW make up the difference?
We need a world class forward someone who can guarantee at least 25 goals.
Attacking full backs may help Lukaku get another 8 or 10 but that still leaves us woefully short at the business end of the pitch
I agree, our attack is piss poor.

Our top scorer in the league got half of what the leagues top goal scorer did. For a side who finished second that is poor.

Vardy outscored Lukaku ffs, whilst I’m not solely blaming Rom, you can’t use full backs as an excuse when Vardy has the likes of Simpson and Fuchs at full back.

Sanchez got what, 2 since January? Rashford has been terrible since January, Martial will most likely be off.

Where are the goals going to come from.

Scholsey2004

Shaw - Sandro
Darmian - Demi Mitchell
Carrick - Savic
Martial - possibly Pereira as a back up or one of the many forwards we're linked with.
Blind - Evans
Fellaini - might stay yet.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
What's the most we ever brought in a single window? Six or seven in summer 2014?

Under Fergie the most I remember is five I think in 1996.

Scholsey2004

Our attack isn't poor, it's good with room for improvement. 10-15 goals extra spread throughout the season is enough really.

Huddersfield 2-1
Southampton 0-0
West Brom 1-0
Brighton 1-0
Newcastle 1-0

That's 14 points dropped that shouldn't have been dropped due to a lack of creating chances. 95 points is a good enough points tally.
Look at the league table, we don't score enough to win the league.

Andy_Cole

CM - Joe Allen
CM - Darren Fletcher
LB - Kieren Gibbs
Winger - Shakiri
CB - Shawcross
RB - Glen Johnson

Sing you a song

Our top scorer in the league got half of what the leagues top goal scorer did. For a side who finished second that is poor.

Vardy outscored Lukaku ffs, whilst I’m not solely blaming Rom, you can’t use full backs as an excuse when Vardy has the likes of Simpson and Fuchs at full back.

Sanchez got what, 2 since January? Rashford has been terrible since January, Martial will most likely be off.

Didn’t realise Vardi had scored more , then just looked it up and see that Raheem sterling scored more prem goals than Lukaku .
Dear god do we need another top class attacker

El-Manos

Cheers. How come his named is being repeated so much all of a sudden?
Been linked with him since January, typical Jose midfielder basically (based on what I read). Have barely seen him play, not sure whether he is any good. He is meant to be 1.93m though:lol:.

Turkleton

Our lack of goals is down to tactics rather than players. No forwards would thrive in the current system / lack of system.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass

We are defensively set up and I am not criticizing Mourinho for that. It is similar to Simone at A Madrid. They score few goals, but concede the lowest as well.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Signing all these attackers is kind of futile, given our system.
Tbf Mourinho plays the counter but it doesn’t help having incompetent fullbacks in today’s age of football. They do a lot of heavy lifting to advance the ball up the pitch and that’s an element we just haven’t had. Imagine Madrid with Young and Valencia instead of Marcelo and Carvajal. Day and night difference as a lot is relied on for those fullbacks to get the ball up and cause imbalance for the opposition.

...just saying having a competent fullback(s) who can go up the field and make plays would help tremendously. Says something when your striker (Lukaku) drifts out wide often times to curl a cross in which is rather bizarre when you think about it :p

Edit:
there’s no real link up play on the left or right side of the field. We have Sanchez at LW but no LB to facilitate/complement him. On the flip side we have no RW for Valencia as RB to facilitate/complement but even then Antonio is past it and doesn’t really have any end product to deliver a ball in anymore as he sort of just blindly hoofs them in there now...that is a huge aspect this team is missing. Think it’s a tad outlandish to say a few simple additions like this would be futile.

Status
Not open for further replies.