José Mourinho | 2018/19 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedorDead21

Jose was perfect to take over after LVG. Improve our points total and win trophies. He did just that. Admittedly we expected more from him but up to second with a season good enough to win it, is pretty miraculous really. This could well be a melt down season or he might pull it together but to do the latter I think would mean going full Jose so even more chess play and the old guard returning to key positions. Even if he won the thing playing like that it wouldn't be enough to keep him here. It would be just more justification for saying you were the right guy at the right time and now we need someone to improve the clubs brand which has taken an absolute battering Jose with you at the helm. I'm his biggest fan believe it or not!

RedRover

I wanted him at United because he's a winner, and I hoped that in light of the chance he had to build something long term, at a big club would see him mellow a bit. Unfortunately he hasn't.

He's a totally toxic character. He's more interested in protecting his own image than anything else. The constant moaning is tiring. His man management seems non-existent and worryingly, the players don't look like they enjoy playing for him. That said, if the team was playing some decent football then I could put up with that.

Worst of all though is how outdated his style of football looks. The game is moving on and after the time he's had, we should be starting to see something better. He seems unable to get the best out of a talented group.

I personally think the fact that the board didn't back him in the summer makes it clear that they're either not sure about him, or concerned that he's doing what he's done everywhere else and engineering a situation where he's either sacked or can walk with some kind of vindication. I also think that the players know it. Pogba spoke out because he knows he can and that his position is at the club is stronger than the manager.

shield

Think it is time for him to go. Does not seem to have a good relationship with the board, the players or the fans. Caught somewhere in the middle. Van Gaal, for all his faults, still had a good relationship with the players. We are looking shockingly like Mourinho's Chelsea team in his last year there. Players look like they are tried of playing in his defensive setup and are just going through the motions. No one is really enjoying playing here.

Sad really. Many thought by the time he reached his third year, we would have secured at least a PL title or look like getting one soon. We unfortunately are still as bad as we were when he first took charge here.

Smores

Classic knee-jerking this, we've all had time to calm down now. A couple of defensive feck ups are not on the manager at all neither is how much they let their heads drop (well maybe a little).

It's an outlier, lets see how we do in games without one of our players throwing the game. Spurs is a big test

bleedred

I hear what you are saying.
So, let's say you are the Woodward. You fire Jose today. Then what?
Outline your plan of action regarding the next managerial appointment, given that no suitable candidates are available
This pretty much sounds like Arsenal fans 5 years ago. There is no one better than Wenger who can take this team, so we will stick with him.

If I were Woodward, I would sack Jose. Get an interim,anyone who plays good football.Resign from football sign of things, get a DOF and give him funds in the winter and let the DOF identify a managerial target by next summer.

As one of the oppo fans posted earlier, We can still make Top 4 with this squad even playing attacking/good football. Its not like Jose is the only person who can get us Top 4 with this squad. Its clear as a day, we cannot achieve anything more than that this year. Any optimism of a title was thrown out of the window in the summer and yesterday's performance was the final nail in the coffin.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
What does he coach in trainings exactly? 2 years and a few months and there is still no fecking resemblance of any game plan, both attacking and defending. I've always supported Jose but I'm starting to lose patience. Obviously we also have players who need to go because they're aren't good enough either mentality or talent wise.

bleedred

Classic knee-jerking this, we've all had time to calm down now. A couple of defensive feck ups are not on the manager at all neither is how much they let their heads drop (well maybe a little).

It's an outlier, lets see how we do in games without one of our players throwing the game. Spurs is a big test
It isn't, if you consider that we put up similar performances in the past two years as well.

All teams make defensive mistakes but good teams overcome that by putting more past the opponents. City were very shaky for 10-15 mins against Arsenal last week and the defense were making mistakes. Right when you thought Arsenal were getting into the game, they just killed the game with the second goal.

Defensive feck ups may not be on the manager, but not creating any sort of chance to score is pathetic for any club/manager, let alone Utd.

Last edited:

AndyJ1985

My thoughts and feelings now are no different to what they were at the end of last season. Nothing knee jerk about that. Also it's not an outlier. Crap performances are the norm for us.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Good performances are the outliers for us these days, not those like yesterday. Yes, we usually grind out wins, but the performance is in line with the usual. Struggle to create, give up a few chances in a drab game. There was nothing new yesterday. The defensive mistakes arent on the manager, but what is on the manager is failing to dominate the game and restrict them from even going forward as often as the opposition do against us. On and off the ball we are horrible, and that's not a good mix.

Smores

It isn't if you consider that we put up similar performances in the past two years as well.
1 or 2 a season would be an outlier amongst 50 odd games a season. This game was about mistakes and our players mentality not much else.

Apart from the Huddersfield game i don't think I've seen us that bad and shook.

Smores

My thoughts and feelings now are no different to what they were at the end of last season. Nothing knee jerk about that. Also it's not an outlier. Crap performances are the norm for us.
If your only level of thinking is good or crap then sure.

TsuWave

You think this game was an outlier? The way we defended has been the norm, it just so happened De Gea couldn’t pull off his worldies yesterday, and people were quick to blame Bailly and Lindelof, yes, they had bad games, but the acres of space given to Brighton’s forwards by our fullbacks was mad. Every single goal we conceded was because the CB’s were dragged by players our fullbacks were not tracking or closing. Also, the pressing is pretty lax etc

Attacking wise, yesterday was also trademark and reflection of Mourinho’s tenure here, sloppy in possession, no ideas, no urgency, and a throw Fellaini in and hope something happens hail mary roll of the dice.

We lack basic competence in his 3rd year here, what is knee jerk about that?

bleedred

1 or 2 a season would be an outlier amongst 50 odd games a season. This game was about mistakes and our players mentality not much else.

Apart from the Huddersfield game i don't think I've seen us that bad and shook.
Then I guess you havent been watching much the last few seasons. Out of the top of my head, Spurs away, Brighton, West Brom, BRADFORD. I could go on.

The Purley King

I hear what you are saying.
So, let's say you are the Woodward. You fire Jose today. Then what?
Outline your plan of action regarding the next managerial appointment, given that no suitable candidates are available.
Sound Zidane out and put McKenna in charge until I persuade Zidane to join. If he doesn't fancy it, write a blank cheque for Poch for next season.
Its a risk, but the bigger risk is hoping that Jose magically changes almost everything about his management style and how he wants his team to play. Oh and also magically gain the trust of the dressing room again.
Get a DoF asap as well.

If I was Ed though, I'd have been thinking about this for longer than one morning :)

Red Rick

You think this game was an outlier? The way we defended has been the norm, it just so happened De Gea couldn’t pull off his worldies yesterday, and people were quick to blame Bailly and Lindelof, yes, they had bad games, but the acres of space given to Brighton’s forwards by our fullbacks was mad. Every single goal we conceded was because the CB’s were dragged by players our fullbacks were not tracking or closing. Also, the pressing is pretty lax etc

Attacking wise, yesterday was also trademark and reflection of Mourinho’s tenure here, sloppy in possession, no ideas, no urgency, and a throw Fellaini in and hope something happens hail mary roll of the dice.

Well this is my first post here and i hate that its a negative one but all I see on match day is a team without direction and I mean any direction which begs me to ask............ what is Jose doing on the training ground?

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I'm genuinely confused as to how people cannot see the obvious improvements. So far it seems to be solely down to a personal dislike for him personally.
Don't worry about it mate we're just cultists and top reds for thinking the manager who has won us two trophies and got us our best league position since Sir Alex has improved us. We'll keep our heads buried in the sand. ;)

AndyJ1985

The only "obvious" improvement is finishing higher in the league. van Gaal won an FA cup and played terrible football. Mourinho has won a league cup and Europa league and plays terrible football. Whoop dee doo, what an improvement.

goin4glory

The only "obvious" improvement is finishing higher in the league. van Gaal won an FA cup and played terrible football. Mourinho has won a league cup and Europa league and plays terrible football. Whoop dee doo, what an improvement.
Trying to minimise going from 5th to 2nd as the "only" obvious improvement stinks of a personal agenda. It was a big step up to beat all of the top 6 last season and get the points total we did.

Smithy_123

It's inevitable he's getting sacked at some point. His stock has hugely fallen the past few years too. It's all about free-flowing, attacking football now, and when you combine that with Mourinho as a person, I'm not convinced any top club would want him. I can't wait to see him go manage in Turkey. Galatasaray would be my bet.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I still think that he is one of the best managers who did great job in these two years but lack of general play is starting to worry me too. Today i first time doubt about our future with him

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Sound Zidane out and put McKenna in charge until I persuade Zidane to join. If he doesn't fancy it, write a blank cheque for Poch for next season.
Its a risk, but the bigger risk is hoping that Jose magically changes almost everything about his management style and how he wants his team to play. Oh and also magically gain the trust of the dressing room again.
Get a DoF asap as well.

If I was Ed though, I'd have been thinking about this for longer than one morning :)
You know what, I would put McKenna in charge as well for the time being, and hire some good coaches to come in and help him. I've said before, I'd even take Shorts and Meulensteen (sp) back, along with someone else. We might not make top four, but I don't mind as long we're not relegated:D

In the meantime, the club gets itself a DOF or whatever they'll be called, and then along with the DOF start approaching prospective candidates whose philosophy fits with that of our club. DOF can also start restructuring our scouting and looking at improving our coaching set up. I just think we're way behind technically and need to address this issue.

The longer Mourinho stays on, the worst it will probably get. Clearly, the players don't trust or respect him and unfortunately, he's only got himself to blame with his conduct.

bleedred

Trying to minimise going from 5th to 2nd as the "only" obvious improvement stinks of a personal agenda. It was a big step up to beat all of the top 6 last season and get the points total we did.
Yes, He has been a vast improvement on LVG who was a vast improvement on Moyes. But Jose has reached his ceiling level with this side. No matter how much investment was put into this side, he would still play the same way and we would not have caught up with city. Yesterday was a case in point. If we had any change from last season, we would not have seen such inept performace once again.

Yes, I agree, he has improved our standings. But Jose cannot do anything more with this squad, while someone else can. The players we have are not duds, but they have been playing equivalent to Sunday league stuff quite often in the past two seasons, which is totally due to management.

He cannot provide what the fans want. Either good football or the league. He cannot do either. We would simply falter around with random good wins against top 6 sides (which incidentally we did under LVG as well) and some insipid performances like yesterday.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW

100% this.

Reiver

I might be wrong about this but I don't remember previous sides under Mourinho playing as baldly as we do. I'm not saying his teams played all out attack, free flowing football. But his Chelsea sides, which are the ones I'm most familiar with, played some good football at times. I honestly felt he got some unfair stick when he was first announced as manager. But it looks like these people were right. But the football at his previous clubs wasn't as bad as this, was it?

In Rainbows

I might be wrong about this but I don't remember previous sides under Mourinho playing as baldly as we do. I'm not saying his teams played all out attack, free flowing football. But his Chelsea sides, which are the ones I'm most familiar with, played some good football at times. I honestly felt he got some unfair stick when he was first announced as manager. But it looks like these people were right. But the football at his previous clubs wasn't as bad as this, was it?
No, you're right. His football was boring because he was always defensive in bigger games, but the counter attacks on display were great. That has been my one huge criticism of his performance as a manager. Fine, I can tolerate the defensive football if he can get us challenging for titles. If United showed that same chemistry while on the counter, then I would have faith in him to get us to compete for the biggest trophies.

However, clearly he has not been able to do that after 2 seasons and after bringing in 10 players. It doesn't take 2 seasons to achieve that. United still look like it has 10 strangers on the pitch trying to create anything meaningful. People shouting "2nd place" ignore that fact as if 2nd place is an achievement in and of itself. 2nd, 3rd, 4th. It doesn't matter when the title race was over by the end of December. There's a difference between finishing 2nd like how Fergie did in 2012 and 2010, and what we just did last season.

Aloysius's Back 3

It's because he likes to build an atmosphere of being the under dog - with a team who has to work hard, use its strengths as a way of capitalizing on the enemy & taking the game to them. This work ethic & emotional reviews of players we see is not just some random occurrence - it is his core aspect of his tactics & he wants the team to work as an army to take the game to the opposition.
His tactics resemble pure cement with no gaps - beauty of football takes an away seat because this army have work to do.

Ultimately - the best goals usually come from individual type gameplay - from the likes of Drogba & Lampard whilst the most teamlike was Inter Milan where the likes of et0'0 took the crown of being a great individual player.

There are players who suit Jose's type of management & football - more so than tactics its that pure 'you go out there & you take the game tp them aspect' which can get the best of someone like Ibrahimpvic - whilst he will struggle in a strictly team based type of football. The same with Lukaku for example.

This 'everyone vs us' attitude usually leads to players being left out too & a big name player away from Jose getting the pressure from it.

Whilst Jose has been lucky with players like C. RONALDO - he ultimately has been at clubs recently like real Madrid & Manchester united - where the club will not willingly act like an underdog & football is expected to be successful & beautiful.

That was not the case at Porto Inter and Chelsea.

TsuWave

Mourinho had Chelsea in 16th place before he got sacked and came to us. He's washed up.

ravi2

What does he coach in trainings exactly? 2 years and a few months and there is still no fecking resemblance of any game plan, both attacking and defending. I've always supported Jose but I'm starting to lose patience. Obviously we also have players who need to go because they're aren't good enough either mentality or talent wise.
Ive often wondered what exactly do the players get up to in practice?
Jose has had 2 years and there is zero style to our play and there is NO offensive chemistry whatsoever.

The squad needs some work (the right side especially) but they arent that terrible as what we've been seeing on the pitch. The issue is, both Ed and Jose need to go.

Member 5225

Thing with me is, say we had one of the CBs he wanted, feck it say we had both. Would we have won?

We’re so disjointed, our attack is toothless etc. It’s easy to mask our problems with 1 CB signing.

ravi2

Yeah everything is great...carry on.

forevrared

Thing with me is, say we had one of the CBs he wanted, feck it say we had both. Would we have won?

We’re so disjointed, our attack is toothless etc. It’s easy to mask our problems with 1 CB signing.
Absolutely. We conceded 28 goals last season - only one more than City, who had 100 points. The problem was and remains our toothless attack. Arsenal were 6th and scored more than we did!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Probably not, because our centerbacks dont really change how creative we are. At least not to a big degree, as lindelof is good on the ball anyway, while as a team we created pretty much nothing, just a few mistakes from them. People thinking center backs are the reason we lost yesterday are missing the point. We failed to have any control of the game and failed to create anything decent in the slightest for 75 minutes or so against a relegation fodder team while we were behind and needed goals. That's embarassing and has nothing to do with centerbacks.

Utdstar01

It's pretty obvious he can't motivate his players and they aren't stimulated by him. They look bored and fed up and it doesn't look like it will change.

Foxbatt

I agree with Bosnianred. It is the mistakes of Bailly that we conceded two goals and for the third he is directly responsible but we did not even had a shot on goal until very late in the game. It is actually the fault of the midfield, who could not create anything and Lukaku who missed a sitter.
But Jose now needs to get his act together or the Board needs him to go now before December.

Eddy_JukeZ

I genuinely feel his only chance to survive here now is to go va-bank with ultra-attacking football and hope it works out somehow.
We had our best attacking line-up out there in the 2nd half bar Alexis and we looked clueless. We didn't even create any chances.

zenith

There is no joy in watching Manchester United anymore, why would any neutral bother

Status
Not open for further replies.