José Mourinho Press Conference - 9th August 09:30 BST | Embargoed quotes in OP - on Martial, Pogba

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
People just don't seem to understand how Jose works. All the shit we've had to read on here about how Jose is in meltdown and it turns out they're wrong yet again. Honestly, people need to stop listening to Jose because they're not cut out for his mind games.

Time to get behind the team because the negativity is ruining our club. The manager is at peace with the situation so the supporters need to be on side now.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Can't wait till the football starts. Don't think Mourinho said anything worth moaning about, actually he just sounded like he wants to get going.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
He's clearly given up on any more signings but I'm told he was smiling. Maybe he just doesn't like America!

Kostov

You took that quote out of context mate. No way was Jose slighting our youth players. The quote was clearly made within the context of non-availability of first team players in preparation for the season. There are a number of other quotes he made during the pre-season that show he values the young lads. People need to lay off this guy's back.
I didn't, I thought it was meant about the whole squad that is on pre-season, the poster replying said it was mainly because of the youth team players. People need to also let him take some criticism, not defend even the stupid things he says.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
His best conference in a while. The media coverage of us truly has been horrendous – However poorly the window and pre-season has gone there’s yet to be a single minute of real football played and yet you’d think Liverpool are 20 points clear. Liverpool who were last seen failing to win a trophy for 6th consecutive year, who finished behind us last season. The fact that his “greatest achievement” quote is being taken out of context already sort of proves his point.

He’s clearly going the siege mentality route. If it works it will be glorious, if it doesn’t it will get ugly. We’ll find out pretty quickly how the squad react.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The context was a side 19 points deficit to City who have finished constructing their side. It cost City a net spend of £400m to build a title winning side. Utd gave up at £330m, and at some point in the future have to go again.

I believe this window signifies self-doubt. Utd have stopped spending not because they are happy with their squad. Mourinho is not. I believe spending has been suspended because the board were not confident that the players identified were up to the job.
It's not really the boards place for that though is it? If our structure is based on Managers giving a shortlist and our CEO buying, it doesn't make sense.

We don't have a DoF, so if the case is how you say it is, it's all on Ed.

DBT85

Can't see anything to complain about from these quotes, other than no signings.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
I believe this window signifies self-doubt. Utd have stopped spending not because they are happy with their squad. Mourinho is not. I believe spending has been suspended because the board were not confident that the players identified were up to the job.
Not sure it is self doubt. I just don't think they care.

CL money is pretty secure. The financial rewards vs cost of winning the league aren't really going to appeal to the owners.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
You took that quote out of context mate. No way was Jose slighting our youth players. The quote was clearly made within the context of non-availability of first team players in preparation for the season. There are a number of other quotes he made during the pre-season that show he values the young lads. People need to lay off this guy's back.
Not only that he never complained about their quality, only their readiness. He highlighted what was basically a skipped generation of youth development at OT which has been common knowledge for a while. The neglect on that end of things long preceded Jose.

He was right too - Anyone who takes a look at Chong can see he's not nearly as developed physically as a PL footballer should be.

Steven Seagull

People just don't seem to understand how Jose works. All the shit we've had to read on here about how Jose is in meltdown and it turns out they're wrong yet again. Honestly, people need to stop listening to Jose because they're not cut out for his mind games.

Time to get behind the team because the negativity is ruining our club. The manager is at peace with the situation so the supporters need to be on side now.
Who on earth are his “mind games” meant to be benefitting? What’s the point?

The_Order

Fair play to José there. He's spot on.

The derision from the media has coloured the perception of that finish, especially over media darlings Liverpool and Spurs.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer

The derision from the media has coloured the perception of that finish, especially over media darlings Liverpool and Spurs.
The way the media has written about United and who the pundits are predicting our season, it smells like we will actually win the league ;) at least it was like that under Fergie

pacifictheme

Hes wrong. In championship manager you have to wait for tactics in start working as well.

And its called football manager now. #joseout

iamkiranks

ESPN last week even published an article which said United should've finished 4th according to their analysis. What happens on the pitch for real doesn't actually mean anything it seems.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
When did the media portray United as a relegation team? Must have missed it. Weren't they just reporting Jose's own words throughout the summer?

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Solid press-conference. As for bigging himself up about last season, I can't agree with him, but on the other hand, all this what's happening and his narrative goes in line with being an underdog this season. And there is not a position in football which suits him better as a manager.

So, let's just wait for the season and games to see how we are doing before the knives are out.

GM K

I didn't, I thought it was meant about the whole squad that is on pre-season, the poster replying said it was mainly because of the youth team players. People need to also let him take some criticism, not defend even the stupid things he says.
I totally agree he should be criticized. But in fairness, that statement was taken out of context by journos. One thing about Jose, despite all his famed character flaws, he's big on loyalty in a team both from the player and manager's perspectives. His tendency to be extremely blunt just makes him look like a poor man manager at times.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
BBC main page headline twisting it
"I am not confident, I have to focus on the players I have". Makes it sound like he's not confident for the season ahead (he's probably not to be fair).
It changes to "Not confident of deadline day signing" when clicked on.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The way they've manipulated his quote is unbelievable.

People will tell you to get a tin foil hat when you say the media hates Mourinho but, seriously, how can people not see the agenda at work here?

Laurentiu amt

Good presser, dunno where all the negativity comes towards him, he was plain honest.

Yeah, he wasn't backed this summer, he spent a lot in the last 2 years and some of his transfers didn't work out, but he should've been backed nevertheless. Even if the board trusts him or not, it's still okay to back him, there's a chance he turns it around and even if he doesn't, the squad will be on par with the other teams if he spends and leaves.

Quite a sad window tho.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

People will tell you to get a tin foil hat when you say the media hates Mourinho but, seriously, how can people not see the agenda at work here?
Yeah. It took me a second to realise what it'd be about before clicking, but knowing oppositions fans especially they'll be seeing it and thinking he's putting a major downer on the side.

Grib

It's mad

The pre season quotes we're unreal when you actually read the full quotes (not even the full videos)

They were all fine in context but you've people going mental, United fans saying he didn't need to whip up a storm when it's them flailing abiut like trout on the media's hooks that are the ones helping to create the storm

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Good presser, dunno where all the negativity comes towards him, he was plain honest.

Yeah, he wasn't backed this summer, he spent a lot in the last 2 years and some of his transfers didn't work out, but he should've been backed nevertheless. Even if the board trusts him or not, it's still okay to back him, there's a chance he turns it around and even if he doesn't, the squad will be on par with the other teams if he spends and leaves.

Quite a sad window tho.
If he actually hasn't been backed then it's a stupid move, even if they're thinking he might not be here next season or whatever. Actually having a full team is beneficial to any manager, as they can then do a Pep and really improve it in their own way but with a perfect base for it and lots of depth.

Jojo <3 Mou

Going into the third season not time enough?
The specific question was about a tactical change for the new season.

I'm not sure what your issues are with this answer. Must he stick to the tactics from the first and second season even if his team changes and those tactics failed/proved uneffective? Should there be no evolution, no change? Stick with it?

The general consensus is that the tactics were not attacking enough? Do you want change? Then wait until his players are actually able to train together. There are no miracles here.