Jose Mourinho - Manchester United manager ever?

Would you want Jose Mourinho to ever manage Manchester United?

• Yes

Votes: 179 21.9%
  • No

Votes: 640 78.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Member 5225

Just a thought with these random stories popping up about Jose Mourinho potentially ending up at United one day, would you be happy if he ever ended up as the manager?

I used to admire him and tbh still think he's an immense football manager, but his recent shenanegans have started to turn me off him quite a bit....not sure what I'd think if he ever ended up as our manager.

Thoughts?

Raw

Honestly, no. Sure he'll win a few trophies over a couple of seasons, but he'll leave the club in a right mess. He can't build for the future.

If there really was no one else available then yeah, give him a short term contract.

Drifter

American
Was one of those that was hoping that we got him after SAF . Still would take him but only for two seasons.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Was one of those that was hoping that we got him after SAF . Still would take him but only for two seasons.
Same, but I've changed my mind since. Don't want him at our club at all, his behavior is embarrassing and all he does is create a media circus around the club. Perhaps if he chills out later in life then it might be different, but the current Mourinho is simply way too destructive.

Irrational.

Honestly, if I was asked this question 2 years ago, I would have been delighted to have Mourinho as our manager. As it is, recent events have shown him to be a classless odious toad with no respect for anyone but his ego. No thanks.

InfiniteBoredom

I would.

He's shown that when there's an expectation to play attacking football, he can manage that. His instincts are reactive, so in big games we will play on the back foot but throughout the season it'll hardly matter. The negative football is only ever fully on show where it's accepted.

Personality? A classless Fergie. Which can be acceptable, really. I think if he has a sabbatical, or a low profile job for a while, it'll help calm him down and recharge him. Madrid burned him out.

All in all, we shouldn't discount a proven winner, a manager of the highest pedigree solely on a bad year and a few personality perks.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
On the back end of Ferguson's tenure, when we were playing boring-passable football most of the time but staying monstrously competitive in the league, it didn't seem like an awful idea to me. Mourinho would have defended deep, which would've suit our team (especially old guards Ferdinand and Vidic), and he'd receive the financial backing he needed to craft a new competitive line-up. He'd arrive with the necessary self-belief and pedigree associated with the job too.

Since he's taken charge at Chelsea it's been an embarrassing, frankly pathetic, showcase of flaw upon flaw. After Moyes my outlook on football changed a little, and considering how much more important cohesive play and entertainment is to me now, I'd hope Mourinho never takes over.

Big Andy

Bloke
He's great when things are going well, but he has no plan B when things are going tits up, other than to revert back to being a giant cnut...

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's great when things are going well, but he has no plan B when things are going tits up, other than to revert back to being a giant cnut...
And most of the time, things go tits up directly because of him. He implements this victim mentality within his side, so whenever the inevitable blame game occurs he loses his grip over the dressing room and cliques form. It happened at Madrid, and it looks to be happening here. He's also done his very best to emasculate his biggest offensive threat at Chelsea in Hazard.

Member 5225

Same, but I've changed my mind since. Don't want him at our club at all, his behavior is embarrassing and all he does is create a media circus around the club. Perhaps if he chills out later in life then it might be different, but the current Mourinho is simply way too destructive.
nailed my exact thoughts...

cyberman

The LVG rebuilding project would be wasted if we reverted to big striker up too, flood midfield with hard workers and defend deep.
We haven't got a Ronaldo up front to paper over those cracks

kps88

To be honest, I wanted him after SAF. Not too sure now though. You can't argue with his record of winning things with everyone he has managed. It's just a question of are a few trophies worth all the drama and histrionics.

Krovv

RedCafe Verified
Supports
Arsenal
Feck Mourinho. If he ever becomes United manager I'd lose respect for your club. Absolute wanker who needs a psychiatrist. Will drag the whole club down to his gutter after some minor success initially.

Theonas

Scout
I would.

He's shown that when there's an expectation to play attacking football, he can manage that. His instincts are reactive, so in big games we will play on the back foot but throughout the season it'll hardly matter. The negative football is only ever fully on show where it's accepted.

Personality? A classless Fergie. Which can be acceptable, really. I think if he has a sabbatical, or a low profile job for a while, it'll help calm him down and recharge him. Madrid burned him out.

All in all, we shouldn't discount a proven winner, a manager of the highest pedigree solely on a bad year and a few personality perks.
This is the exact reason I never wanted him in the first place and still don't. I am pretty fed up with English teams including ours being unable to actually outplay the best European sides. Nothing grates me more than when our pundits complain about why our teams are not defending well rather than why they actually never seem capable of building a dominant team. The best European sides from the Milan teams of the '90s to the modern Barcelona and Bayern sides have been capable of imposing their style and flexing their muscles wherever they went with our teams always reverting to reactive tactics which to me is embarrassing for such a rich and wealthy footballing nation. Mourinho would have enforced that if he took over here and the promise of a couple of trophies in exchange is not sufficient to make up for it. If we were not as rich or maybe in a real rot with a real trophy drought like Arsenal's or worse, Liverpool's, then yes! My feelings would be that we need to stop the rot and put our names on a trophy to get on the map again but we weren't there after Fergie left and we are not there yet even now so no need to go for the panic desperate option a.k.a: Mourinho.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
No thanks. Van Gaal will probably leave a very young squad behind and Mourinho is rubbish with young players. Plus the fact that he's a cnut.

InfiniteBoredom

You wanted Moyes though :p

Tbh he's not my first choice now or then. I always prefer Ancelotti first and foremost, but all I'm saying is we shouldn't let emotion cloud our judgment. Jose Mourinho is a winner. We have an idea of the baggages that come with him, it's a matter of costs v. Benefits.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I wanted him to take over from SAF because I believed be was the only one out there who would be unaffected by the pressure due to his huge ego.

I still think that would have been the wise move, but now I don't see a need to have to put up with the million downsides to him.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I'd rather be shagged up the bum by a yeti. But that's a different story.

Tyrion

No way. I don't want him as manager and the club doesn't seem to either, thankfully.
Chelsea, Inter and PSG is his level - clubs outside the elite that he can take to the top level for a short time. Clubs with more resources and higher standards (e.g. Real Madrid) don't suit him.

Anduin

I have this weird feeling he'd try his hardest to follow in SAF's footsteps, settle down at United and stay here for way longer than at Chelsea, Inter, Real et al. I'd still take him, but based on the reactions so far with his behaviour and antics I'm in a tiny minority right now.

Agila Dathi

No I don't want him near our club. Something happened to him in Spain, he's not that funny and smart manager he used to be. I used to hate him because he was so good and he was funny in interviews at other clubs cost but he always had that class with him, but now he's just rude, arrogant little crybaby. And now he's finally having a real challenge at his own club, and he's losing that battle.
He seems to be a short term manager imo, but I want someone who can build a team for the future, with or without the manager who built it.

Even when Chelsea were clear on top last season, he failed to give youngsters a chance to prove themselves, instead he sends them on loan and buys more players. William seems to be the only player who's playing for the manager, but Mourinho doesn't seem to care, he's busy watching the refs performance.

His record proves that he's a great manager, but he's not what I want at the club.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I think you could make a fair case for most managers. I don't think many are upset he's doing poorly at Chelsea :p. He's made mistakes perhaps and he's shown that he's much more fragile then he should be. He's calmed down a lot I think and maybe that's gone against him. I don't think he's as arrogant as he used to be. If we bring him in, get him his own mirror in the locker room and he'll be back to his old tricks in no time. Can that work for the long term? Probably not but who is there that can give us that? Pep? That's to be proven. He shot off from Barcelona, because he couldn't handle it. It's difficult

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I have this weird feeling he'd try his hardest to follow in SAF's footsteps, settle down at United and stay here for way longer than at Chelsea, Inter, Real et al. I'd still take him, but based on the reactions so far with his behaviour and antics I'm in a tiny minority right now.
You are not alone, I don't like his antics but United is a better fit for him, while the expectations and the scrutiny are high, it's also a more stable and comfortable environment.