Jose Mourinho needs two more transfer windows, say senior Man Utd figures

Drifter

American
Manager Jose Mourinho will need at least two more transfer windows to get close to the squad he wants, say senior Manchester United figures.

Seven months after Mourinho's arrival as successor to Louis van Gaal, United are sixth in the Premier League, 13 points behind leaders Chelsea and six points adrift of the top four to guarantee Champions League qualification.

Speaking in the build-up to Wednesday's trip to Crystal Palace(20:00 GMT), Mourinho said he wants to keep his squad together for the rest of the season.

However, sources have told BBC Sport he would like to make changes.

United have spent £480m since Sir Alex Ferguson retired in 2013 after 26 years as manager.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38301330

SteveW

Manager Jose Mourinho will need at least two more transfer windows to get close to the squad he wants, say senior Manchester United figures.

Seven months after Mourinho's arrival as successor to Louis van Gaal, United are sixth in the Premier League, 13 points behind leaders Chelsea and six points adrift of the top four to guarantee Champions League qualification.

Speaking in the build-up to Wednesday's trip to Crystal Palace(20:00 GMT), Mourinho said he wants to keep his squad together for the rest of the season.

However, sources have told BBC Sport he would like to make changes.

United have spent £480m since Sir Alex Ferguson retired in 2013 after 26 years as manager.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38301330
I think we have to let him build the squad he wants. Things haven't been great so far but I think it's fair to say all the players he's brought in have been good players. Whether he succeeds or stay for the long term I can see him leaving a strong balanced squad behind.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
A sly way of letting us transfer muppets know that they got us covered :drool:

GBBQ

Its a bit of a dud of a story. Knowing our squad issues and how unlikely it was that the players who would improve us would be available in January means that it would always be at least the summer before Mourinho can put his final players in place.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Mourinho has been lumbered with some dead wood players purchased by the previous 2 managers.

He needs to construct the team as he likes - I'm optimistic that he'll get there and we can have a winning team again.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
By 2 windows do they include winter? Its tough to disagree with the idea - one window offloading (perhaps January) and a summer window to attract talent that he couldn't get when United were in the Europa league.

MD7

Mourinho has been lumbered with some dead wood players purchased by the previous 2 managers.

He needs to construct the team as he likes - I'm optimistic that he'll get there and we can have a winning team again.
Some dead wood but also players that are playing well. Herrera, Martial, Mata, Blind, and Shaw are all players that I wouldn't call deadwood, and have been bought by previous managers. Don't blame everything on them...

Fracture90

Apparently Monchi is going to join Roma next summer. Shame tho was really hoping we would get either him or Berta from Atletico Madrid to be our DoF.

Hopefully we will get rid of some of that deadwood we were stockpiling for the past few years.

Salfordlad70

Plenty signs the team is starting to shift towards being a team that can challenge. The last month or so has been promising. we have a run of games now that should yield maximum points and the confidence will soar should that happen. I feel a title challenge coming on. I just need to get me a new batch of this crazy shit to tide me over till February.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Apparently Monchi is going to join Roma next summer. Shame tho was really hoping we would get either him or Berta from Atletico Madrid to be our DoF.

Hopefully we will get rid of some of that deadwood we were stockpiling for the past few years.
A DoF would be a disaster. The best way to run a football club is to give the manager full power.

SirAF

Ageist
A DoF would be a disaster. The best way to run a football club is to give the manager full power.
This, I would hate to see United get a DoF. Like Ferguson always said: the manager got to be the top dog.

Terminator

A replacement for Carrick and a fast and explosive winger should be at the top of the list imo.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Why do we need a DOF when all of Jose's transfers have been good so far?
Because Jose won't be here forever and we can't keep chopping and changing the squad every time we change managers.

It worked for SAF because he was a one-off who lasted almost 30 years in the role.

Unmutual

Seems fair. Rest of the season to see how his players perform when the heat is on, January window to tinker at the edges, then next summer to make any final changes.

Laphroaig

Our squad at the moment is easily good enough to be PL contenders. He needs to get keep building on what we've seen lately, not throw (more) money at it.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
A DoF would be a disaster. Basically you have another man buying players for the manager. Yea, thats going to work out well.

The best system to have is wherein the manager has full power over the goings of the club.

Fracture90

Many of the top clubs have DoF, clubs like Barca, Atletico, Juve, Bayern, Dortmund etc…

I don't agree that manager should have absolute power regarding transfers because we had that with Moyes and LVG, Real has no DoF and they're mostly buying for the sake of buying players.

DoF that is working alongside manager and making decisions together is the best IMO.

SirAF

Ageist
Many of the top clubs have DoF, clubs like Barca, Atletico, Juve, Bayern, Dortmund etc…

I don't agree that manager should have absolute power regarding transfers because we had that with Moyes and LVG, Real has no DoF and they're mostly buying for the sake of buying players.

DoF that is working alongside manager and making decisions together is the best IMO.
To be fair, that was the clubs own fault for not appointing a "proper" manager. Also, Real basically got a defacto DoF in the President. Their manager head coach don't have much say in that matter.

VanGaalyTime

It takes time to get rid off players. It's not just about buying them.
One of the best things Van Gaal did for us was get rid of many squad players. Players like Welbeck, Rafael, Cleverly, Anderson, Nani, Zaha, Buttner etc were either well below or a little below par. Van Gaal also brought in some duds, but his signings always made sense at the time.

VanGaalyTime

Plenty signs the team is starting to shift towards being a team that can challenge. The last month or so has been promising. we have a run of games now that should yield maximum points and the confidence will soar should that happen. I feel a title challenge coming on. I just need to get me a new batch of this crazy shit to tide me over till February.
Agreed. The signing of Pogba put the rest of the world on notice United were not fecking around. United will require a season or two to match the spending of Chelsea and City during our "no value in the market" years. By 2018, I expect us to have a top level Champions League team.

Fracture90

To be fair, that was the clubs own fault for not appointing a "proper" manager. Also, Real basically got a defacto DoF in the President. Their manager head coach don't have much say in that matter.
Well if we had DoF maybe we wouldn't have appointed Moyes and LVG in the first place mate.

Regarding Madrid it's exactly that and that's how you end up with buying players that you don't need just for the sake of buying.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Because Jose won't be here forever and we can't keep chopping and changing the squad every time we change managers.

It worked for SAF because he was a one-off who lasted almost 30 years in the role.
will a DoF be here forever, or even last longer than an incumbent manager?

The DoF model is a complete smokescreen.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
So what sort of ins and outs are we expecting?

To be honest I think a years coaching under Mourinho is more valuable to this squad.

It's the fringes we need to upgrade though, the likes of Darmian, Young, Fellaini, Schneiderlin and Depay being replaced with top quality players would definitely make a huge difference.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Having a manager in complete control of everything including the transfers is outdated. All the elite clubs in Europe do not give the manager complete control of transfers. Even City, Chelsea and Liverpool do not give their managers complete control over transfers. Mourinho himself has rarely had complete control at other clubs he worked at. Whether it is with a board or a DOF it helps to share the burden.

dichinero

If we're going to throw money about, anything less than a title win and contention on all other fronts is an epic failure

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Having a manager in complete control of everything including the transfers is outdated. All the elite clubs in Europe do not give the manager complete control of transfers. Even City, Chelsea and Liverpool do not give their managers complete control over transfers. Mourinho himself has rarely had complete control at other clubs he worked at. Whether it is with a board or a DOF it helps to share the burden.
All of his transfers have been a success so far for us. Don't see why we need a DOF....having another guy making transfers would probably cause conflict with the way Mourinho is

Did he have one at Inter? His signings were really good there as well

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
If we're going to throw money about, anything less than a title win and contention on all other fronts is an epic failure
Our rivals will probably be spending a lot too. Epic failure is a bit excessive

Fracture90

All of his transfers have been a success so far for us. Don't see why we need a DOF....having another guy making transfers would probably cause conflict with the way Mourinho is

Mate why wouldn't DoF and manager work together on buying and selling players instead of just DoF making decisions alone?

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi

Moratti and the board always had their say in transfers.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Mate why wouldn't DoF and manager work together on buying and selling players instead of just DoF making decisions alone?
That just seems like a scouting team. He probably already has scouts to work with