Jose Mourinho ready to sign new £65m five-year deal at Old Trafford

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I agree with bit in bold but I dispute your two points a bit.

1. Mourinho could have a 10-year contract but if the team end up hovering around the relegation zone just before Christmas like Chelsea did, he'll be gone. We can't ship out so many players if things get that bad.
Sure, but Chelsea ended up there because players downed tools in the first place. I don't see that process getting any legs with a well-run club openly committed to a manager long term. At Chelsea it has become a player hobby.

2. Hope so but with the bonuses based on position and trophies in his contract I think there'll always be an element of here and now. That said, most of his signings have been for the long term - Bailly, Pogba, Lindelof, Lukaku.
Of course, and I doubt anyone here wants Wenger's 10 year plans. Just saying letting a manager's contract run down creates distractions and 100% guarantees the wrong focus.

The only concern should be complacency, but nobody in their right mind can associate that word with Mourinho.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Some of the comments in here :lol:. Just get it done.
I don't really know first hand what Woody does, thinks or his relative merit in anything... Bar the Summer, I forget he even exists, but these threads always leave me delighted he is the one there and not the average caftard.

JohnnyKills

Who is? You don't expect and plan your whole succession based on finding an other saf.
Yeah I'm not saying that mate, we won't find another bloke who stays for 25 years. Long-term is the next 5-10 years.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Wasn't his fan from obvious reasons but this club could really use some of that famous stability, similar to one from SAF days. Is he the right one though ? Two silverwares - one domestic, one european was quite an introduction to the club and fans but just like people say in this thread - league form should definitely determine the contract at some point.

Ancelotti and Simeone are ships that probably sailed already, so there's not much standing in his way to stay here even five years plus.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I didn’t know managers make that much?!

AgentP

We gave Moyes 6 years. Giving 5 years to Jose is nothing in comparison. Atleast he has proved his worth by winning two trophies already and getting us off to a terrific start this season. Didn't Klopp recently sign a 6-year contract? And he didn't even win anything.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Well all the other contender has slowed down (ancelotti, klopp, pochetino, koeman, deboer, etc)

The only 2 manager that keep their title winning streak ( a title every 2 season) is jose/pep. And we have one of them secured for long time

Nick_95

Supports
Chelsea
Not this daft myth again please?
Please elaborate.

All that aside, why would he accept only 2-year extension when a manager of his profile can get somewhere longer deal which will guarantee him more money. 2-year extension says that you're not fully convinced with him and want your options open which is something that not only he will be aware, but also the players, and it's not good for club's stability in the long run. If the club believes in his work and project than it has to give him a longer deal.

I do agree, it's maybe best to hold for a few months but I would certainly try to get it sorted this season. The signs are very promising.
If Mourinho did love the club and want to stay though as many Utd fans believe why wouldn't he agree to a deal keeping him at the club for 3 years? If Mourinho is convinced he's the man for the job he has nothing to worry about and it protects Utd from an inevitable payout of a 4 year contract at some point.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Hmm. Don't really see the reason for giving him a new deal now rather than next summer. See what he can actually accomplish in his famous 'second season' first...

Also don't see the reason for making it 5 years rather than 3.

So what happens if we don't get CL football one season? That seems to be the requirement for staying on as Utd manager. Presumably there's a clause for that.

But maybe he'll finally move out of the hotel now :p

tony54

For those who say wait, i wonder how you would feel if he left for another club, which would be so easy for him to do. Then we might end up with another moyes or worse still the dutchman. With a five year tenure he can plan more long term which should only be good for the club.

Acole9

Outstanding
I don't really know first hand what Woody does, thinks or his relative merit in anything... Bar the Summer, I forget he even exists, but these threads always leave me delighted he is the one there and not the average caftard.
You don't think Mourinho should get a new contract?

Rusholme Ruffian

Utd should be wary and offer him no more of a 2 year extension (take him back to three years). He wanted to stay at Chelsea for his future and everyone saw the capitulation that ensued.
Did he bollocks, he was desperate to join United. I actually think it's more than possible that he deliberately fecked up the Chelsea job (or at least made things even worse) because he got a sniff that the United job might be up for grabs.

Had it not been for the Europa League, which he was fortuitous that we were a part of in the first place, there is a strong possibility that he could have enjoyed the sort of first season that saw Moyes and Van Gaal (in his second season) sacked: out of the Champion's League places, a trophy no one cares about to show for it, and a lot of money spent for no real improvement.
I don't really understand this point? Why was he fortuitous that we were part of the Europa League? United have been in Europe every season since the Heysel ban, so how was Mourinho lucky to find us in the Europa League? And the rest of the sentence is just :houllier: - if he hadn't won the Europa League then he would have ended up just like Moyes and Van Gaal?! Well yeah, but he did win it!

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I don't really understand this point? Why was he fortuitous that we were part of the Europa League? United have been in Europe every season since the Heysel ban, so how was Mourinho lucky to find us in the Europa League? And the rest of the sentence is just :houllier: - if he hadn't won the Europa League then he would have ended up just like Moyes and Van Gaal?! Well yeah, but he did win it!
I think he may mean that we actually always had a decent chance of winning the Europa, whereas if we'd made the CL last season we may well not have progressed far.

Rusholme Ruffian

I think he may mean that we actually always had a decent chance of winning the Europa, whereas if we'd made the CL last season we may well not have progressed far.
well that is pure supposition...maybe we'd have won it?! The only thing that matters is we did win it, we did qualify for the CL and, unlike with Moyes and LVG, you could see that things were moving in the right direction.

Sereko

As with everything in life the moment is of huge importance. When is the right time to offer new contract, having in mind that extension of the contract is something that can be considered a reward as well as a motivation? Reward for the two trophies last season and motivation to stay on top for this season makes perfect sense. You can’t offer new contract to someone who struggles at the 6th place.

Some say why not at the end of the season? This may be seen as big distraction. It’s better to not distract manager’s attention right at the end of the season. Some may say why not during the summer? Well you don’t give contract extension to someone in vacation. No matches - no motivation. Then some people will ask why this year and not next October? And I will tend to agree with them, but this will mean that Mou will have next summer transfer window with 1 year left of his contract and that may have implications of his transfer targets.

So bottom line this may well be the perfect time for contract talks. We don’t know if it’s true though, but if you look deeply it makes perfect sense. As long as the length of the contract goes, I think it must be upgrade to the existing contract which means above 3 years.

Reactions: Invictus

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
If Mourinho did love the club and want to stay though as many Utd fans believe why wouldn't he agree to a deal keeping him at the club for 3 years? If Mourinho is convinced he's the man for the job he has nothing to worry about and it protects Utd from an inevitable payout of a 4 year contract at some point.
In love with the club so he should sign a very short extension which will save our money because there is not a possibility, but an inevitable fall-out? I thought you were more serious when I replied. That's not how business work, not for the manager and not for the club itself if that club believes in his project.
Might work in Chelsea, though.

If you love it somewhere and see yourself there for a longer period of time, would you like 2 or 4-year extension? If you're in the position of the board and really want to keep someone will you make sure he gets the same sense or not?

Nick_95

Supports
Chelsea
Did he bollocks, he was desperate to join United. I actually think it's more than possible that he deliberately fecked up the Chelsea job (or at least made things even worse) because he got a sniff that the United job might be up for grabs.
You can find several interviews of him saying he wanted to stay at Chelsea for the long term. If you honestly believe the above you must be very very naive. He said he wanted to stay for 12 years and instill a philosophy into Chelsea. However, His management style didn't allow this. No credible manager would ruin their reputation and drag their name through the mud to move jobs.

In love with the club so he should sign a very short extension which will save our money because there is not a possibility, but an inevitable fall-out? I thought you were more serious when I replied. That's not how business work, not for the manager and not for the club itself if that club believes in his project.
Might work in Chelsea, though.

If you love it somewhere and see yourself there for a longer period of time, would you like 2 or 4-year extension? If you're in the position of the board and really want to keep someone will you make sure he gets the same sense or not?
I never said there would be an inevitable fall out, however there is always the possibility. More so with a past record like Mourinho. It just seems like a big risk for Utd when you look at Mou's past. Everything he is saying about wanting to stay at a club and build a future is a repeat of the past. Build first year, win second year, possibly win third year then begin to down hill.

By all means i hope Utd do offer him a huge contract and have to stick by him or pay him off if it all goes down hill. Will make it all very interesting to watch.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I never said there would be an inevitable fall out, however there is always the possibility. More so with a past record like Mourinho. It just seems like a big risk for Utd when you look at Mou's past. Everything he is saying about wanting to stay at a club and build a future is a repeat of the past. Build first year, win second year, possibly win third year then begin to down hill.

By all means i hope Utd do offer him a huge contract and have to stick by him or pay him off if it all goes down hill. Will make it all very interesting to watch.
Every multimillion contract for a long period of time can also have various stipulation about achieving minimum goals which will have an influence on possible pay-off. Problem solved.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Great news if true.

I remember saying to a lot of people on here that were worried Jose would feck us over after 3 years, that I think this is the club where he will settle.

We're a huge club, with lots of money to spend and there is nobody getting in his way when it comes to transfers and picking the team.

At Chelsea he had to face Abramovich and at Madrid, well it's just a bit of a circus in general.

Having the likes of SAF and Mourinho at Old Trafford at the same time can only breed success.

Last edited:

buchansleftleg

This must be to ward off interest from PSG - they have thrown everything at winning the champions league on one side of the white line.

If buying all the toys in the store doesn't win it for them this year they would be trying to nick Jose off us the second they get knocked out of the champions league.

Mickfoley

I'd take his 5 years contract over PL title this season and I'm serious. I love this man.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's probably the best coach there is, but i stumble a bit when looking at the money. There have to be clauses in case it all goes to shit or he doesn't qualify for CL.

Mourinho said in the past it's not about the money for him, he already has everything and most parts of the incoming money will be used to buy his children a nice house when the right time comes, so why try to milk United for every penny there is instead of trying to use it for better players or for people in need? Anyway, just wanted to get that one off my chest, it's within his rights to make demands, just leaves a bit of sour taste in my mouth, that's all!

NinjaFletch

We did not qualify under Moyes, and as a result Van Gaal's first season did not involve European football.

Had Van Gaal's second season gone worse (and it threatened to at various points), it's not inconceivable that Mourinho's first season would have seen us have no European football.

Mourinho's luck was following a manager who had managed to do badly enough to get sacked, but well enough to qualify for European football. Had Van Gaal done slightly better he might have kept his job, and had he done slightly worse Mourinho might not have had that opportunity. Either way, the opportunity that Mourinho had to even compete in the trophy was entirely down to what happened before he turned up at the club. I'd call that fortuitous.

It's also not without precedent that a good cup run hasn't saved a manger from a poor league season at United in recent times. Van Gaal was sacked despite achieving a better league finish (in terms of position, but not points).

I'm not saying that Mourinho does not deserve credit for what he did last season. I'm pro- Mourinho, and I'd be happy for him to stay for another five years because it means he will have been a success, but the uncomfortable fact is that there hasn't been that much better than two managers who are deemed to have been failures and a manger whose apparently going to be offered a pay rise. If Mourinho has been deemed a success so far it's only due to the fact that Moyes and Van Gaal's tenures have lowered standards, and the possibility that it will all end in tears is far from remote. Lest we forget that Moyes would still have time to run on his six year contract...

Minimalist

1.3 John Stones spread over 5 years. Bargain.

Shite goal-to-game ratio though.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Seriously, people need to get over this 3 year crap! It's getting old now. I can only see positives from giving him a 5 year deal. He's nothing like he was when he was at Chelsea or Real Madrid.

Even if we didn't win anything for a few years, I'd still stick with him. He's doing extremely well at the moment but even the best go through rough patches.

That's a great bit if news!

el3mel

Be careful what you wish for. Everything is going well for you at the moment but you haven't seen the ugly side of Mourinho yet. When a result doesn't go his way his football will become boring and you'll have to get used to 1-0 wins with a midfield of Fellaini and Matic and wingers as secondary full-backs.

Utd should be wary and offer him no more of a 2 year extension (take him back to three years). He wanted to stay at Chelsea for his future and everyone saw the capitulation that ensued.

With both the Milan clubs making a rise back to prominence and PSG still about there are certainly other jobs for him out there for him.
You should worry about your manager first.

el3mel

People are suggesting we entering last season of Jose contract with us without extension ? And expecting players to join a club with its manager contract expiring by end of season and his future is unknown ? Give me a break. :houllier:

Jose's contract must be extended by the end of this current season. Whatever you love or hate him, we won't find anyone better than him. The current replacements are Allegri and Carlo ( who just failed miserably with a better team ). Jose is superior to both for us.

el3mel

We did not qualify under Moyes, and as a result Van Gaal's first season did not involve European football.

Had Van Gaal's second season gone worse (and it threatened to at various points), it's not inconceivable that Mourinho's first season would have seen us have no European football.

Mourinho's luck was following a manager who had managed to do badly enough to get sacked, but well enough to qualify for European football. Had Van Gaal done slightly better he might have kept his job, and had he done slightly worse Mourinho might not have had that opportunity. Either way, the opportunity that Mourinho had to even compete in the trophy was entirely down to what happened before he turned up at the club. I'd call that fortuitous.

It's also not without precedent that a good cup run hasn't saved a manger from a poor league season at United in recent times. Van Gaal was sacked despite achieving a better league finish (in terms of position, but not points).

I'm not saying that Mourinho does not deserve credit for what he did last season. I'm pro- Mourinho, and I'd be happy for him to stay for another five years because it means he will have been a success, but the uncomfortable fact is that there hasn't been that much better than two managers who are deemed to have been failures and a manger whose apparently going to be offered a pay rise. If Mourinho has been deemed a success so far it's only due to the fact that Moyes and Van Gaal's tenures have lowered standards, and the possibility that it will all end in tears is far from remote. Lest we forget that Moyes would still have time to run on his six year contract...
If that didn't happen we would have focused more on the league and snatched a top 4 spot with distraction or the need to throw the league for EL. Sorry but this logic is weird.

NinjaFletch

If that didn't happen we would have focused more on the league and snatched a top 4 spot with distraction or the need to throw the league for EL. Sorry but this logic is weird.
I think it's probably weirder logic (arrogant even) to assume we'd have qualified through our League position if not for the distraction of the Europa League.

Mourinho's decision to throw the league was one made when he thought that qualification to the Champions League would be easier through the Europa League than the Premier League; a position we largely were in thanks to not being good enough in the league up until that point.

Rusholme Ruffian

Ha ha, I obviously blanked out the aftermath of the Moyes season - sorry!

I just completely disagree with the sentence that I've bolded. Because of the stylistic differences between him and LVG it's no surprise that last season was one of complete transition - and in the midst of that transition he won 2 trophies, the latter qualifying us for the Champions League. This season has been near faultless (although obviously I accept that some of our biggest tests are yet to come). You'd have to be a pretty pessimistic chap to say that he hasn't been that much better than Moyes and LVG. For me the biggest thing he's done is also the hardest to support with stats or documentary evidence, but he's brought our fear factor back and got us playing with an identity that had completely gone missing under the previous two charlatans.

Hojoon

Be careful what you wish for. Everything is going well for you at the moment but you haven't seen the ugly side of Mourinho yet. When a result doesn't go his way his football will become boring and you'll have to get used to 1-0 wins with a midfield of Fellaini and Matic and wingers as secondary full-backs.
Wingers playing as secondary fullbacks we already saw early last season and he's no more defensive than most other mangers in the PL are nowadays. Matic is a very good player, and I don't think Fellaini has ever been a starter in a midfield two when everyone was fit apart from the first 5 matches of last season. He can be extremely useful in a three, especially in big games as he's shown.

el3mel

I think it's probably weirder logic (arrogant even) to assume we'd have qualified through our League position if not for the distraction of the Europa League.

Mourinho's decision to throw the league was one made when he thought that qualification to the Champions League would be easier through the Europa League than the Premier League; a position we largely were in thanks to not being good enough in the league up until that point.
The weird thing is to assume the season would have gone exactly the same if we were playing one match per week without the Europe League. Believe it or not playing in this competition hurt us, and the evidence for this is our best month in the league was December, when we made 6 wins in a row in the league and guess what ? This was the only month we didn't play in Europe League the whole season.

Sorry but your logic doesn't hold any evidence to support it, sorry but things like qualifying for a competition or not massively changes the course of the season, how you're managing your players and how your players focus on the competitions.

MDFC Manager

Why on earth are we looking to sign him to a 5 year contract? Sounds like a backward thing to do these days. None of the best clubs do this.