Jose Mourinho Sack Watch | Sacked per 19-04

Status
Not open for further replies.

tugger

No matter what happens today, Jose will be pure Box Office. I’d imagine the Sky producers are having a hard time with Shreeves this morning. He’d have been up all night, playing out every single possible result and scenario over and over in his head. All of the culminating in him asking Jose the exact same shit question 4 times.

Reactions: Invictus

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
What does the Caf think of these comments? Try to take your hate of Jose out of it.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...aer-egos-trophies-manchester-united-tottenham

José Mourinho has dismissed Ole Gunnar Solskjær’s suggestion that trophies can act as an “ego thing” for managers and clubs, pointedly noting that he doubts Sir Alex Ferguson is in agreement with his former charge.

“I’m pretty sure that his big boss, Sir Alex, has a different opinion about it,” Tottenham’s manager said before facing Manchester United on Sunday. “But I respect what Solskjaer thinks. I think differently. Freedom of thinking, freedom of ideas. If that’s the way he thinks, that’s fine for me. It’s not a problem for me. It’s not being disrespectful for everyone. But I believe that, I repeat, his big boss, the biggest of Premier League history, has a different view in relation to that.”

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
He's obviously right, that ego comment from Ole was moronic and I think most on here said the same.
And yet in reading the interview in its full context and not the headline grabbing twisted fragments of it, there was nothing wrong with his comments at all

Judas

Open to offers
And yet in reading the interview in its full context and not the headline grabbing twisted fragments of it, there was nothing wrong with his comments at all
Nah I still didn't like it, even in context. Just not for me personally. I could see what he was going for, but yeah didn't like it.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
"His big boss". Not his previous incumbent, but his current overlord. This is definitely not a second language thing. :lol:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
What does the Caf think of these comments? Try to take your hate of Jose out of it.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...aer-egos-trophies-manchester-united-tottenham

José Mourinho has dismissed Ole Gunnar Solskjær’s suggestion that trophies can act as an “ego thing” for managers and clubs, pointedly noting that he doubts Sir Alex Ferguson is in agreement with his former charge.

“I’m pretty sure that his big boss, Sir Alex, has a different opinion about it,” Tottenham’s manager said before facing Manchester United on Sunday. “But I respect what Solskjaer thinks. I think differently. Freedom of thinking, freedom of ideas. If that’s the way he thinks, that’s fine for me. It’s not a problem for me. It’s not being disrespectful for everyone. But I believe that, I repeat, his big boss, the biggest of Premier League history, has a different view in relation to that.”
Jose won Europa and League Cup and ended up taking us no where. I want the cups but I want progression more to our ultimate goal.

If we win cups by sacrificing progression (Jose did) then its not a good thing

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
The games against Man United are nowadays the absolute highlight in Mourinho's season, which means they are occasions of great entertainment value for the rest of us too..

His apices of spitefulness and public shithousery used to be the meetings with Wenger, then Pep, he tried and failed to establish some sort of beef traction with Klopp, but Klopp always beats him too easily on the pitch.
And now all he has left, all he lives for, several levels below, is getting one over Man United and Ole in order to combat the rather apparent conclusion that he did a bad job at the club, was rightly sacked, and a relative managerial nobody is doing better than him just like that.

Last edited:

lysglimt

Scout
Mourinho sign players to win now or in the next year or two. What happens after that has never been Mourinhos concern. That is probably the biggest difference between him and OGS. OGS is willing to risk his job to do what is right for the club in the long run - Mourinho is willing to risk the long term future of the club to make himself look good

But this is something that came in the last 10 years or so - he has changed a lot since his first spell at Chelsea when he was charming, sympathetic and signed the right players who could dominate for a long time.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Ole was spot on about trophies being an ego thing, especially if the underlying league form doesn’t back it up. We have won less under Ole than Maureen but are unquestionably on a far better trajectory as a club. We really ought to be beating Spurs quite comfortably today.

SAF is the GOAT

You could probably take Banter FC Arsenal as an example - they have won the FA Cup last season and finished 8(correct me if I'm wrong) and this season they'll finish out of the top 6. That's obviously not suggesting on a progress.

You could beat anyone on a one time game like the fa cup(and it also depends on the "lottery" you get) but you need to show some sort of progress to finish in top 4 every year in a 38 game's season.

crossy1686

career ending

We would all trade every trophy Jose won for one league title so Jose's wrong unfortunately. As Ole said in the full context of his quote, winning trophies is nice but you measure the success of a team by the league.

crossy1686

career ending
You could probably take Banter FC Arsenal as an example - they have won the FA Cup last season and finished 8(correct me if I'm wrong) and this season they'll finish out of the top 6. That's obviously not suggesting on a progress.

You could beat anyone on a one time game like the fa cup(and it also depends on the "lottery" you get) but you need to show some sort of progress to finish in top 4 every year in a 38 game's season.
Wigan won a cup and got relegated. Ask them what they would rather have right now, an FA cup or consistent PL football. The league is always more important and cups are nice to win.

CM

It's possible Solskjaer's comments were a subtle dig at Mourinho anyway so it's no surprise he's responded in that way.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Wigan won a cup and got relegated. Ask them what they would rather have right now, an FA cup or consistent PL football. The league is always more important and cups are nice to win.
I'd be interested to know what the Wigan fans thought.

I don't know any Wigan fans but I do know a load of Wimbledon fans and they would not swap their FA Cup for an extra few years in the Prem.

RORY65

It's possible Solskjaer's comments were a subtle dig at Mourinho anyway so it's no surprise he's responded in that way.
Solskjaer's fundamental point about league performance being the true barometer of progress and trophies often being misleading was correct but judging progress by winning any trophies (regardless of what they are), when we all know that that is how Mourinho thinks, did seem like a bit of a dig at the previous manager which they've both done a few times to each other.

I don't know any Wigan fans but I do know a load of Wimbledon fans and they would not swap their FA Cup for an extra few years in the Prem.
Yeah the Arsenal example was much more pertinent and relevant to us and Spurs. I would think fans of small clubs who are never likely to win anything would gladly give up a few years of flailing around near the bottom of the Premier League trying to stay up to win a trophy.

Counterfactual

I was thinking the same thing. Wigan's FA Cup was historic. Yes, playing in the PL is top-tier, but not the same as a history-making cup victory. In their place, I'd want my club's name on that trophy.

cyberman

Sir Alex sold big players for us so young players would thrive and safeguard our future. Sir Alex knew he was sacrificing trophies down the line when doing this but did it anyway so id guess he wouldn't back up Jose on this.
Jose winning the CC and finishing 5th isnt a barometer of progression if its up against Ole, 5 point off the top and lose in the EL final after a freak result (for example)

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
It’s a shame he’s struggling with the modern game so much, when at it he’s just pure box office and adds so much to the league. It’s annoying as an opposition fan and makes him incredibly unlikeable though.

R'hllor

Well it seems, suddenly winning shit aint that important, this whole angle that you cant have both on top of it. Whole thing is funny to be fair, being a winner was so important for people when they needed to smack other managers with it. Tune will change when Ole wins his first trophy with us, people will shift from mentioning league position on every corner to what he won.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
“He came in and everything (to him) was crap,” says an insider. “Food was crap, training ground was crap, pitch was crap, stadium was crap. He would say this openly, with everybody.

Interesting article in The Athletic on Mourinho's time at United.

Mourinho, The Athletic can reveal, told those closest to him that he had been required to spend his own money to secure a piece of equipment he judged imperative for analysing players. Executives, under Mourinho’s instruction, had already taken down the £500,000 Inmotio camera system installed at Carrington for predecessor Van Gaal, so are said to have declined this additional cost under the new manager. United do not have any records of Mourinho using his own finance.
My dislike for Jose grows everyday. Personally feel he is the biggest whiner and narcissist in football.

DoomSlayer

SwedishFish

Want to beat him but also want him to stay on until next season so he can sign Fellaini and go full third season Mou, tricky one.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich

I was going to use Arsenal as an example, teams can "steal" a trophy when their standard of play does not deserve it. under Arteta they won a trophy which can massage their ego but the football looks to have gotten worse while some teams can make progress even without trophies like Klopps Liverpool before the CL win and Pochetinnos Spurs.

Will you rather be 2018 Liverpool or 2021 Arsenal with the FA?

Last edited:

tugger

“He came in and everything (to him) was crap,” says an insider. “Food was crap, training ground was crap, pitch was crap, stadium was crap. He would say this openly, with everybody.

Interesting article in The Athletic on Mourinho's time at United.

My dislike for Jose grows everyday. Personally feel he is the biggest whiner and narcissist in football.
To be fair to him I can understand some of that. Things do seem a little tired and I’m not sure we’ve invested at the same level as others behind the scenes. A lot of other clubs seem to have a better standard of facilities.

Jose wouldn’t be someone I’d want to work for and I can understand why people don’t like him. I wouldn’t be quick to dismiss what he says though. There’s normally a lot of truth in what he says. How he says it, how much he absolves himself of any part of it, is another matter entirely though.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
He will probably win today.
Eh? Spurs have been average for a while now, getting dominated by Newcastle for long stretches of the game says a lot. I think there are problems behind the scenes within the squad, just normal Jose stuff. United should be able to grind out a result, Jose will do his usual park the bus.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I read it.

His man-management style is something that will prevent him from staying at a club for too long. That said you can't fault his trophy winning record (before it all goes to shit). And he seems to get along with more abrasive football characters like Ibrahimovic (I wonder who the analog is at Spurs... Bergwin?)

Ridiculous of him to expect us to foot his hotel bill.

Also, if it's true that we passed on Maguire only to buy him for more a year later, that's classic us.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
Eh? Spurs have been average for a while now, getting dominated by Newcastle for long stretches of the game says a lot. I think there are problems behind the scenes within the squad, just normal Jose stuff. United should be able to grind out a result, Jose will do his usual park the bus.
I hope your right,I just get the feeling they will get a jammy win.

SAF is the GOAT

I was going to use Arsenal as an example, teams can "steal" a trophy when their standard of play does not deserve it. under Arteta they won a trophy which can massage their ego but the football looks to have gotten worse while some teams can make progress even without trophies like Klopps Liverpool before the CL win and Pochetinnos Spurs.

Will you rather be 2018 Liverpool or 2021 Arsenal with the FA?
100% The way we are now because I now can improve more in the future whether in tactics and with a proper pre season and whether with buying new players that will massively improve our squad.

Djemba-Djemba

The games against Man United are nowadays the absolute highlight in Mourinho's season, which means they are occasions of great entertainment value for the rest of us too..

His apices of spitefulness and public shithousery used to be the meetings with Wenger, then Pep, he tried and failed to establish some sort of beef traction with Klopp, but Klopp always beats him too easily on the pitch.
And now all he has left, all he lives for, several levels below, is getting one over Man United and Ole in order to combat the rather apparent conclusion that he did a bad job at the club, was rightly sacked, and a relative managerial nobody is doing better than him just like that.
Great post.

I didn't know how appalling Mourinhos record against Klopp is. He's beaten him once basically in about 13 games.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Great post.

I didn't know how appalling Mourinhos record against Klopp is. He's beaten him once basically in about 13 games.
Bad defeats against Klopp have played a role in triggering Mourinho's three worst and most hurtful sackings - from Real after they got humilated by BVB in CL semis, from Chelsea not long after a 1-3 home loss against a Liverpool that Klopp had just taken over (not the only bad result in this implosion obviously, but a really bad one), and he was sacked at Utd right after a 3-1 loss at Anfield.

Djemba-Djemba

Bad defeats against Klopp have played a role in triggering Mourinho's three worst and most hurtful sackings - from Real after they got humilated by BVB in CL semis, from Chelsea not long after a 1-3 home loss against a Liverpool that Klopp had just taken over (not the only bad result in this implosion obviously, but a really bad one), and he was sacked at Utd right after a 3-1 loss at Anfield.
Don't think it's a coincidence either that the rise of Klopp, and people using similar tactics to him, has led to the decline of Mourinho .

Klopps teams are basically kryptonite to Mourinho.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Don't think it's a coincidence either that the rise of Klopp, and people using similar tactics to him, has led to the decline of Mourinho .

Klopps teams are basically kryptonite to Mourinho.
Hmm. It's curious.
In some ways, yes, you're right. But then, didn't an expertly parked bus with deadly countering use to be the kryptonite to Klopp, too?
It just seems that Mourinho hasn't for a long time been able to elicit the intensity and pace needed from his teams, to get them to fulfill his own myth. Not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.