Jose Mourinho Sack Watch | Sacked per 19-04

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Spurs will run out of steam soon.

- In their last three matches they have had the ball 34% of the time. They have produced 15 shots on and off target and scored 4. In the same three games the opposition has produced 46 shots and scored 0. Conceding 0 goals from 46 shots against is not sustainable. They seem to have a black belt in bus parking these days, but this is also luck and coincidence.
- Son/Kane will probably not stay on this form the entire season and/or one or both will get injured.
- Their squad is not good enough.
- Mou will start throwing players under the bus as soon as they meet some speedbumps.

Prediction: 5th
There were probably only 2 or 3 half decent chances amongst those 46 shots though, the rest were hopeful pot-shots or crosses that were easily dealt with.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
There were probably only 2 or 3 half decent chances amongst those 46 shots though, the rest were hopeful pot-shots or crosses that were easily dealt with.
This is the thing, you say park the bus and it gives the impression we were up against a wall, we weren't, we sacrificed position and the opposition did feck all with it. Arsenal firing in crosses to a striker how cant fecking head a ball, We forced City wide, only Chelsea looked in a good position to score.

thatsme

31% possession at home against the poorest Arsenal team in living memory, is nothing short of embarrassing, cowardly football.
This kind of shithouse football does not deserve to be successful.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
This is the thing, you say park the bus and it gives the impression we were up against a wall, we weren't, we sacrificed position and the opposition did feck all with it. Arsenal firing in crosses to a striker how cant fecking head a ball, We forced City wide, only Chelsea looked in a good position to score.
This isn't true in the first half against City, you were actually back against the wall. They actually scored a goal that was disallowed and went through the defence on a few occasions in the first half.

I don't have any problem with small teams or teams with no star players parking the bus and only trying to play on the counter (though Leeds with Bielsa for example have shown us that even smaller teams like that can play more ambitious football even against big 6 teams). However I find it problematic when teams with star players and technically good players put 10 men behind the ball in a low block for 90mins, only waiting to take advantage of the other team's eventual error in order to counter them. That shows lack of courage IMO.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
31% possession at home against the poorest Arsenal team in living memory, is nothing short of embarrassing, cowardly football.
Thanks for your input.

Angry Virginian

Supports
Tottenham
It is a compressed season with 2 games every week for probably most weeks of the season. Maybe the low-block tactics can help reduce injury and fatigue. Just a thought.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Who wants to bet on Mourinho making a sly reference to Pogba and/or Mino in his next press conference? Expect him to go big on players who are willing to sacrifice for the group and who trust in him and not their entourage.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Leeds, have been highly praised for going out and having a go, so imho, Spurs deserve every bit of the flack they are getting for doing the exact opposite.
Leeds are getting tonked regularly. Id rather win games thanks.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Who wants to bet on Mourinho making a sly reference to Pogba and/or Mino in his next press conference? Expect him to go big on players who are willing to sacrifice for the group and who trust in him and not their entourage.
In a way I hope he does because we'd fully deserve that.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Respect him as a manager, and he can be quite the character, but i just cant enjoy his football most of the time, its just so dull.

Yes, they are a good side, i just dont find them enjoyable to watch.

Foxbatt

It is utterly naive to go and play open football if you are going to lose. Look at the two Spurs goals. They are typical Jose turnovers. Why would Spurs be stupid enough to go out and attack Arsenal unless they have absolute chance of getting a third goal? It may look good for neutrals but for the Spurs fans a win is more important than the open football. Leeds play good attractive football and is good for watching. But look at the position of Leeds and Spurs.
How on Earth did Jose get those players so cheap for Spurs? Hojberjg for only 15 million? It is a steal.

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
Now imagine losing at home to the same poorest Arsenal team in living memory.

lsd

The Oracle

Really can't see him mentioning either

RedDevil@84

It is utterly naive to go and play open football if you are going to lose. Look at the two Spurs goals. They are typical Jose turnovers. Why would Spurs be stupid enough to go out and attack Arsenal unless they have absolute chance of getting a third goal?
To prove something to some posters on caf

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Now imagine losing at home to the same poorest Arsenal team in living memory.
Yeah we are shit. Happy?

Where the feck were you when your messiah had Utd languishing so low in the table bringing in bucket loads of negativity?

Utd being shit doesn't mean the poster is wrong. People can comment on topics without having to keep the team they support as a point of reference for making judgement.

Last edited:

cyberman

It is utterly naive to go and play open football if you are going to lose. Look at the two Spurs goals. They are typical Jose turnovers. Why would Spurs be stupid enough to go out and attack Arsenal unless they have absolute chance of getting a third goal? It may look good for neutrals but for the Spurs fans a win is more important than the open football. Leeds play good attractive football and is good for watching. But look at the position of Leeds and Spurs.
How on Earth did Jose get those players so cheap for Spurs? Hojberjg for only 15 million? It is a steal.
Who said anything about open football?

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Knew the way this would go, just expecting at least some attacking intent from Spurs when they are up by a goal or two is apparently too much.
Fine then, Spurs are perfect and i shouldn`t question them.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Leeds, have been highly praised for going out and having a go, so imho, Spurs deserve every bit of the flack they are getting for doing the exact opposite.
Spurs 1st on 24 points.
Leeds 14th on 14 points

Spurs GD = +14
Leeds GD = -4

"Have a go" Leeds have scored 7 fewer goals than Spurs. And their policy of letting the opposition have a go at them has resulted in them conceding 11 more goals than Spurs.

To give Spurs flack for achieving results that have made them top of the Prem is like using a pea-shooter against a tank.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Spurs 1st on 24 points.
Leeds 14th on 14 points

Spurs GD = +14
Leeds GD = -4

"Have a go" Leeds have scored 7 fewer goals than Spurs. And their policy of letting the opposition have a go at them has resulted in them conceding 11 more goals than Spurs.

To give Spurs flack for achieving results that have made them top of the Prem is like using a pea-shooter against a tank.
I am a big supporter of Mourinho, but the comparison you are making would only make sense if Leeds and Spurs had squads of remotely similar quality, which is not the case.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
We had premier league debutant Joe Rodon against Chelsea, all their chances came from his error. Apart of that we are arguably comfortable throughout the match.
Umm no they didn't.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I am a big supporter of Mourinho, but the comparison you are making would only make sense if Leeds and Spurs had squads of remotely similar quality, which is not the case.
That also shows why the comparison was ridiculous.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I agree with your point about comparative squad strengths. But it make little sense to praise Leeds for "having a go", whilst at the same time criticising Spurs when we've scored 7 more goals than them.

The trouble is that people like to cherry pick games. So they focus on the last 3 Spurs games against tough opposition, but ignore 3 games in which we scored a combined total of 14 goals - an average of nearly 3 goals per game.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I do think there's a bit of an argument to be made about the sustainability of it all but only time will tell.

Looking at something like that it's quite unusual for a team to score 4 from a combined 1.38 xG across 3 games and concede 0 from a 3.23.

Having said that I do put caveats in there. Top forwards score at a better rate than xG consistently. Son & Kane are top forwards. Top goalies save shots at a better than expected rate consistently. Lloris is handy. Still part of me looks at that and thinks they had the rub of the green a bit there.

Of course, scoring early in the 2 they won there is part of what went on to be. Neither were huge chances at all but seeing as they did score it arguably allowed them to play out the rest of the game the way they did, one in front, soaking up what the oppo can muster which in Arsenal's case was barely anything and not even necessarily looking to counter too hard, just when there was glaring opportunities to do so. They wouldn't necessarily have played that way should the early goal not have come in those games although they did against Chelsea so who really knows.

I do like xG but I think it is possible to break it (or for it to be wrong for certain tactical setups). Klopp kind of has the past couple of seasons, maybe Mourinho can too.

Swings and roundabouts too to an extent on xG, sometimes it goes with you, sometimes against. Probably merited at least a point against Everton on opening day looking at it but lost and should have beat Newcastle but drew. Southampton and Burnley are games they won but maybe should have drew on that measure.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Mount forced Lloris into a good save with a shot from 25 yards and Giroud latched onto a weak back header from Rodon. What other chances did Chelsea have?
Tammy twice made a mess of wonderful James crosses which any clean touch was likely a goal, Ziyech firing over from close in and Werner going a second too early.

I do agree that we probably didn't do enough over the game to categorically state we deserved all 3 points but some of the nonsense i'm hearing about how Spurs controlled the game and Mou outsmarted Lampard was just that, nonsense.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
This is going to be an odd thing to say as he won trophies at both Madrid and United but imo both clubs were simply too big for Mourinho. For it to work he has to be both the biggest star/the main guy at the club. At Madrid and United he was always just another cog in the machine.

Spurs so far seem to be a great fit for him.
I think he worked for Madrid, he wasn't a massive success like Zidane in terms of big titles but he came here mainly to stop Barcelona, among other things, and he also changed the mindset and standards of the team where now if we don't make it to the semis in the UCL it's seen as a bad campaign. So all in all he set the team in the right the direction and you could say he set the bases for the upcoming managers and players who benefited from his previous work at the club.

His ego can be an issue though, at the time I thought our players needed some discipline and drop their egos themselves as they tend to act very 'precious' for a lack of a better word. So I thought someone like Mourinho was a good thing as he wasn't going to buy on their lazyness and lack of tactical commitment. Then it went sour and the confrontation with Casillas had them both leaving the club eventually, so at that time I also thought it was good to replace him with a more complacent manager like Ancelotti.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Tammy twice made a mess of wonderful James crosses which any clean touch was likely a goal, Ziyech firing over from close in and Werner going a second too early.

I do agree that we probably didn't do enough over the game to categorically state we deserved all 3 points but some of the nonsense i'm hearing about how Spurs controlled the game and Mou outsmarted Lampard was just that, nonsense.
I dont think we controlled the game, I do however think Jose basically said, "you have the ball, you beat us". I think the result suited both parties, and both of us went home no worse for it, not suggesting it was a fix, more that clearly Jose and Frank get along.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
I agree with your point about comparative squad strengths. But it make little sense to praise Leeds for "having a go", whilst at the same time criticising Spurs when we've scored 7 more goals than them.

The trouble is that people like to cherry pick games. So they focus on the last 3 Spurs games against tough opposition, but ignore 3 games in which we scored a combined total of 14 goals - an average of nearly 3 goals per game.
Because Leeds with a much less talented squad on paper is actually playing the more ambitious football.

People are also focusing on those last 3 games because they were games in which Spurs played teams that will be normally fighting for the top 4 as them (Arsenal though is an inferior team to Spurs, City and Chelsea).

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
OK, if you don't care about the 23 goals - as something for Spurs' attacking players to show for their counter-attacking style - then how about being top of the table? Don't they also have this to show for what you call "relentless defending"?

If you score 23 goals and are top of the table (for 2 or 3 weeks running now), it's beyond silly to expect our attacking players to "get sick and tired of relentless defending."
As I said you completely missed the point I was making to make repetitive fleeting arguments. I said Spurs with Mourinho should expect to win the league in the position they are in right now, and if they bottle it again they should probably get rid of Mourinho quickly and let someone else do a rebuild. If Spurs bottle it, or their attacking players dry up in front of goal then based on history and not recent results I'd say it's likely your best attacking players will be unhappy with it. Kane and Son is in their prime right now, bordering on world class the both of them and at 27 and 28 it probably means it's now or never in terms of getting a big contract at a huge club, trophies or get convinced that they will win trophies if they stick with Spurs.

They might love Spurs and continue at the club even if they never win anything, or get paid as well as their peers and I'd happily applaud that if that's the case. I'm not sure it's a recipe for success however and I'd say Spurs would have a higher chance of getting more out of these guys if they built a younger more attacking team to support them. As things stand, they have to work a lot defensively to make up for ageing defenders, lack of quality and strength in depth defensively. I'm not sure Spurs have the coin to spend on top class defenders so I'll bet Mourinho will invest in more of the older type of defenders, defensive midfielders etc. Again it might pay off with a trophy but if it doesn't, Spurs have essentially wasted a couple of seasons on some make belief love story with Mourinho, while instead they maybe could have rebuilt their squad to be equipped for longterm success.

Foxbatt

Who said anything about open football?
If you attack in numbers then you open up at the back and leave space for the other team to attack. If you do not leave space, then other team cannot attack you much.

Foxbatt

As I said you completely missed the point I was making to make repetitive fleeting arguments. I said Spurs with Mourinho should expect to win the league in the position they are in right now, and if they bottle it again they should probably get rid of Mourinho quickly and let someone else do a rebuild. If Spurs bottle it, or their attacking players dry up in front of goal then based on history and not recent results I'd say it's likely your best attacking players will be unhappy with it. Kane and Son is in their prime right now, bordering on world class the both of them and at 27 and 28 it probably means it's now or never in terms of getting a big contract at a huge club, trophies or get convinced that they will win trophies if they stick with Spurs.

They might love Spurs and continue at the club even if they never win anything, or get paid as well as their peers and I'd happily applaud that if that's the case. I'm not sure it's a recipe for success however and I'd say Spurs would have a higher chance of getting more out of these guys if they built a younger more attacking team to support them. As things stand, they have to work a lot defensively to make up for ageing defenders, lack of quality and strength in depth defensively. I'm not sure Spurs have the coin to spend on top class defenders so I'll bet Mourinho will invest in more of the older type of defenders, defensive midfielders etc. Again it might pay off with a trophy but if it doesn't, Spurs have essentially wasted a couple of seasons on some make belief love story with Mourinho, while instead they maybe could have rebuilt their squad to be equipped for longterm success.
Isn't what they tried to do with Poch? I have more faith in Jose winning a trophy than Poch winning one.

steffyr2

So Jose either wins the league or he's out. I guess it's a good thing for Ole that he's never in that position.
Mourinho could be motivated to found a dynasty, you know.

UbicaMekogSrca

Supports
FK Sloboda
Our best manager post SAF.Should have been backed.I would give all my money to see Woodward,Neville and Ole face when he win PL with Spurs.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
If you attack in numbers then you open up at the back and leave space for the other team to attack. If you do not leave space, then other team cannot attack you much.
There's a middle ground between throwing men forward and not even counterattacking.

blemis

Supports
spurs
It is hard to watch Spurs play and no one ever said Leicester were a good watch when they won the league.

Mourinho makes it all about him when his team wins and throws his players under the bus when the team loses.
He's achieved great things as a manager obviously but I'm delighted he's no longer at United. I find some of the nonsense and digs at other managers he comes out with quite funny but he's not very likeable and has such a massive ego that it's also hilarious when it all comes crashing down in the inevitable third season dumpster fire.
Weren't you guys who actually have inflated ego despite having mediocre squad ? You have certain Frenchman saying "We are Manchester United , we have to attack , attack , attack!" as if France didn't just won the world cup by playing defensive counter attacking football, with himself being told to man mark Fellaini in semi final. I don't think United players is humble enough to actually listen to Mourinho instruction word by word every game despite the fact that the players has no right to have bigger ego than him, you guys won nothing since he left and shouldn't even have an ego anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.