g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Jose Mourinho Sack Watch | Sacked per 19-04

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
If that was your definition of controlling the game then you're right, there's no discussion to be had, if Arsenal weren't full of a mix of lazy cnuts and average players you'd have gotten slapped up the way they dominated the ball, and if you thought that was entertaining from your team, which was the serving up shite i was referring to btw, then I feel bad for you, as obnoxious as you are personally we all had to admit Spurs were a good watch under Pochettino. Like I say though, lets see if you disappear again when it goes to shit as you know as well as I do that it will under Mourinho.
Ignoring your personal abuse ...

Spurs were 2 - 0 up at half-time. After which there was no need for Spurs to do anything but defend (and by the way, good defending can also be entertaining). Arsenal were left to simply play around in front of us to no good effect.

But if we'd needed to go up a gear or two, which we didn't, then the team was/is more than capable of doing so.

So yes, Spurs controlled the game. But you confuse possession with control. And when a team is 2 - 0 down and toothless in attack, they are even less in control.

YAMS49

Again, I don’t disagree. But you have very little latitude and the limitations of the approach are quickly laid bare if results go south.
I doubt very much they've been set up that defensive in every match this season. In fact I'm sure they haven't been as they wouldn't be top of the league. I don't habitually watch all their games so viewing yesterday was quite interesting as a complete neutral.

Devil may care

Jesus man, we played that way against City and didn't get "slapped up". As for Poch being good to watch every single game? Its nothing more than a myth, we seen plenty of crab football under him... sideways pass after sideways pass.
City are like the Grand Canyon at the back though, tailor for made for Mourinho. I never said every single game under Poch was entertaining though did I? I said you were a good watch, that was a general comment as no team plays great every game. Under Mourinho you look like we did just with 2 world class forwards, playing football Spurs fans shit on us for, and rightly so. Neville said it will be interesting to see how your season develops when the impetus is on you as you struggled against West Brom to get the goal. Bottom line is mate right now you're on a successful run so you guys are defending the football, when it goes to shit I think you'll find your tolerance for Mourinho and his approach drops, but then again I disliked him even when we were winning under him as I value the entertainment factor of the game so highly.

Ignoring your personal abuse ...

Spurs were 2 - 0 up at half-time. After which there was no need for Spurs to do anything but defend (and by the way, good defending can also be entertaining). Arsenal were left to simply play around in front of us to no good effect.

But if we'd needed to go up a gear or two, which we didn't, then the team was/is more than capable of doing so.

So yes, Spurs controlled the game. But you confuse possession with control. And when a team is 2 - 0 down and toothless in attack, they are even less in control.
Facts aren't personal abuse, if you finish 6th or 7th will we be seeing you post? Or will you vanish again?

YAMS49

This is basically the exactly right way to look at it I think. People can scoff and pundits can complain about how shit we play but as fans we simply won't give two hoots if we get some silverware this season. We would be absolutely over the moon. Long may our shit football (I actually think it's been very good) continue as long as we keep winning.
I doubt very much every game was as defensive or controlled as yesterday, that was a set up for the opposition at hand, definitely. It worked perfectly as well & it was very obvious from kick off it was going to create counter opportunities as soon as Asrenal's pivot had the false courage to join the attacking phase or just walk off the pitch maybe.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I doubt very much every game was as defensive or controlled as yesterday, that was a set up for the opposition at hand, definitely. It worked perfectly as well & it was very obvious from kick off it was going to create counter opportunities as soon as Asrenal's pivot had the false courage to join the attacking phase or just walk off the pitch maybe.
I agree - we are playing defensive counter attacking football against our top 6 rivals but in other matches against lesser (but still good) opponents we have been a bit more progressive. It will be interesting to see how we approach our next match against Palace.

cyberman

I wonder if you search Glastons posts for keyword Mourinho would you believe the audacity of it all?

cyberman

It worked v City and Arsenal because of a goal scored early on. When they couldnt score v Chelsea it looked pedestrian and one paced.

Sweet Square

He's one of the best at a results based industry but he needs all the players to buy in to be successful, something that never happened at United or Madrid. You get Allardyce in to save you from relegation and you get Jose in to win you trophies.
This is going to be an odd thing to say as he won trophies at both Madrid and United but imo both clubs were simply too big for Mourinho. For it to work he has to be both the biggest star/the main guy at the club. At Madrid and United he was always just another cog in the machine.

Spurs so far seem to be a great fit for him.

YAMS49

I agree - we are playing defensive counter attacking football against our top 6 rivals but in other matches against lesser (but still good) opponents we have been a bit more progressive. It will be interesting to see how we approach our next match against Palace.
Presumably Reguilon normally provides more width down the left as he is a naturally attacking player & Lo Celso is given more freedom to play higher up the pitch enabling Kane to operate higher as well. That seems very logical.

Change of topic but seeing two full backs who either have never been able to defend in Aurier's case & Reguilon defending for the first time in years I imagine is pure Jose. This is what he does. He makes players better with organization & discipline. I really need to read more about his Inter side & what he did with them.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Presumably Reguilon normally provides more width down the left as he is a naturally attacking player & Lo Celso is given more freedom to play higher up the pitch enabling Kane to operate higher as well. That seems very logical.

Change of topic but seeing two full backs who either have never been able to defend in Aurier's case & Reguilon defending for the first time in years I imagine is pure Jose. This is what he does. He makes players better with organization & discipline. I really need to read more about his Inter side & what he did with them.
Yes that is exactly right - Reguilon bombs down the left and is a very good outlet for us on that side. Aurier has been incredible this season - I think he has been the best right back in the league so far. I an astonished at this as I honestly thought he was a liability.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Seems it's easy to dismiss Poch now.

Mourinho could certainly finish somewhere in top 4 and reach league cup final this season. Infact it would be failure if they didn't do both imo.

Pochettino reached league cup final in 14/15. He finished 2nd in the league in 16/17 (just 7 points off Chelsea which surprised me). They should've finished 2nd the previous year aswell but completely gave up as soon as Leicester won the league and somehow lost 5-1 to already relegated Newcastle which let Arsenal in.

Considering the squad he took over in 2014 I'd say his body of work in that first 2-3 years will still remain more impressive than anything Mourinho does unless he wins the league or europa league which is stuff Spurs haven't done for a very long time.

I'll admit that Jose has done way better this season than I expected but Spurs could still easily still win nothing and finish 4th. Then it's a good but not quite miracle season given what they've been doing in last 6 years.

And if they don't get CL qualification then he'll be under serious pressure given Spurs need the CL income for the new stadium seeing as Covid has killed off NFL at Spurs over last year.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The truth is that Covid has been a blessing to Mourinho. He has clearly concentrated on our defensive frailties and getting rid of the (as you love to say) 'Lads, it's Tottenham' tag but it has come at the price of sacrificing playing 'The Tottenham Way'. We've now reached the point where the end justifies the means, but the journey hasn't been pretty and he wouldn't have been given the time had he had to do it in front of a full Spurs house every other week. He requires a lot of patience to implement his style and methods and that's quite difficult to do in front of crowds with a history of playing entertaining football.
More than anything, Covid was a career saver for Kane. The guy needed a prolonged break to get fit again properly. His ankles were destroyed and constantly getting injured and hurting his performances on the pitch. Now he's better than ever.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
... Facts aren't personal abuse, if you finish 6th or 7th will we be seeing you post? Or will you vanish again?
Well (a) you are talking about a poster (me) rather than about football; and (b) your "facts" are wrong.

Was I "dipping out" last season when I didn't comment on many of the games we won? Or was I only "dipping out" when I didn't comment on the smaller number of games we lost?

There's no prizes for guessing which definition of "dipping out" you accept and which you don't. Moreover, I'm under no obligation to you or anyone else to pass comment on every Spurs game, whether we win, lose or draw.

Personally, I couldn't care less about when (or whether) you choose to make a post or not. Nor can I pretend to understand the obsession needed to even keep track of when someone posts or doesn't post.

If you want to talk about football, then fine. But if not, then feck off and obsess about someone else.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
More than anything, Covid was a career saver for Kane. The guy needed a prolonged break to get fit again properly. His ankles were destroyed and constantly getting injured and hurting his performances on the pitch. Now he's better than ever.
I think that is a great point - he has greatly benefitted from an extended break from football and hopefully this will not only prolong his career but he looks a better player for it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Hojbjorg and Reguilon have been brilliant signings for them. Balanced them out so well and both would walk in our side too. A lot can be said about Mourinhos time here, but he did do well in his first 2 seasons. Went off the rails after and he had to go, but he also has a much more balanced team now. Reguilon and Aurier or Doherty will bomb forward while Reguilon gets back really well as well (and Aurier has done it well this year but I doubt it lasts). Reguilon definitely the best LB in the league, shame we missed out but understandable logic. Hojbjorg really showing he can be a proper holding midfielder though. Strong physically and defensively, knows how and when to receive the ball and can pass it around well too. A player like that makes a world of difference to a team and its exactly what we need. Allows Sissoko to just be a box to box all arounder next to him, but finally having Hojbjorg to solidify and organize the midfield. Spurs haven't had that in years. Its what enables them to have a solid base of 4 central players, they can have Lo Celso or Ndombele as the #10 where they have the good balance of creativity and work rate. And then a brilliant front 3, Kane and Son in the form of their lives and then one of Bergwijn, Lucas or Bale to complete the front 3.

I'd say the 2 players they just wouldn't have replacements for if they went down are Hojbjorg and of course Kane. If they stay fit, of course they can go all the way. Especially as I'm sure Mourinho will dump the europa league if he has to (or just play full backups), while the other title challengers will be stretched.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
I wonder if you search Glastons posts for keyword Mourinho would you believe the audacity of it all?
Say no more..
Glaston-May 6 2017 said:
It's strange how Poch has managed to buy better quality goods at Lidl than Mourinho has at Waitrose. Maybe the staff at the latter see him coming a mile off ...
Glaston-May 2 2016 said:
You seem proud of your ability hurl personal abuse. But I'm not surprised that you prefer this to discussing football, given the disaster of United's decline. Enjoy the Mourinho circus next season and your trips to god knows where in the Europa League - it's your level these days.
Glaston-Dec 20 2015 said:
Virtually every news cycle involving Chelsea since the season began has been about Mourinho personally - his public spat with the club doctor, his public criticisms of his own players, his comments about referees, his comments about other managers, his FA fines, his stadium banishment etc etc etc. It's been the Mourinho circus, all revolving around his ego and attention-seeking. Little wonder that his focus on the actual games of football facing Chelsea - and on obtaining the best from his players - has been less than good....
The buck stops with the manager and this is why he was sacked. And if United replace LVG with Mourinho, then all I can say is good luck when the circus hits town.
Glaston-Dec 20 2015 said:
There's a section of football fans who like to praise the talent of managers at wealthy clubs by pointing to the trophies won, but never stop to think how that same manager might get on with managing the likes of Aston Villa or Sunderland, or how well they would do if their transfer budget was £10m net rather than £100m.

Devil may care

Well (a) you are talking about a poster (me) rather than about football; and (b) your "facts" are wrong.

Was I "dipping out" last season when I didn't comment on many of the games we won? Or was I only "dipping out" when I didn't comment on the smaller number of games we lost?

There's no prizes for guessing which definition of "dipping out" you accept and which you don't. Moreover, I'm under no obligation to you or anyone else to pass comment on every Spurs game, whether we win, lose or draw.

Personally, I couldn't care less about when (or whether) you choose to make a post or not. Nor can I pretend to understand the obsession needed to even keep track of when someone posts or doesn't post.

If you want to talk about football, then fine. But if not, then feck off and obsess about someone else.
Hang on, this is some Wenger level distortion. :lol:

Firstly if you said I was a sarcastic prick or at times an asshole that would be a fact, you are as obnoxious as it gets, that's a fact.

Nobody is obssessed with you mate, but when someone is all over the place rubbing their team in your face and then goes silent when shit goes sideways people are going to notice, it's not like I'm the only poster that has mentioned your Hotspur Houdini act, basically you're one of these people that dishes it out but can't take it, note my response to the other 2 Spurs fans is very different, you reap what you sow.

Lastly, you quoted me with a smug post to begin this, I didn't quote you, so who's obssessed?

YAMS49

Yes that is exactly right - Reguilon bombs down the left and is a very good outlet for us on that side. Aurier has been incredible this season - I think he has been the best right back in the league so far. I an astonished at this as I honestly thought he was a liability.
Jose effect, he makes teams structured & organized. Players who have the ability to adapt defensively he can get the best out of.

Spurs are the perfect storm for him. Success is deemed as points/trophies rather than style at the moment. I can't help think with Utd he tried to break his own mold & create some Madrid/Chelsea hybrid. Looking at his signings at Utd compared to Spurs they are night & day for his style.

YAMS49

This is going to be an odd thing to say as he won trophies at both Madrid and United but imo both clubs were simply too big for Mourinho. For it to work he has to be both the biggest star/the main guy at the club. At Madrid and United he was always just another cog in the machine.

Yep, this 100%. A great fit no doubt & if it stops Liverpool winning the league then please carry on playing any style you like Spurs.

cyberman

:lol: it's actually hilarious if you read posts from the past.
Its brazen as seen by the examples posted. Never mind the years of using an alt league table to fully understand the form of sides since the current model was so skewed and didnt tall the full story!
Now the table is the be all and end all..

In the current league table, yes. But the point of the ALT is that it claims to better reflect the underlying reality, taking into account fixtures and so on.

crossy1686

career ending

That's my point. He's a master at the underdog story, siege mentality, us against the world approach and that doesn't wash with players who consider themselves to be at the biggest clubs in the world.

RedDevil@84

Mourinho makes it all about him when his team wins and throws his players under the bus when the team loses.
Tell a lie many times, people will start believing it.

Jose praises his players after wins "publicly".
Jose criticizes his players after losses "publicly".
Jose defends his players when someone accuses them of certain things, again "publicly".

Not that I would want him back. Too much noise when he is around.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
That's my point. He's a master at the underdog story, siege mentality, us against the world approach and that doesn't wash with players who consider themselves to be at the biggest clubs in the world.
Atletico Madrid would actually be perfect club for him abroad now, can see him doing that for a few years if it's available whenever he leaves Spurs so don't think he'd actually be done at elite clubs even if Spurs fizzles out in the end.

Or even return to Inter given the squad they've built in last 12 months, plenty of his old mates there. :D

RedDevil@84

Partially agree. At least from the United point of view, what I think did not work was that there was too much pressure on him to ditch his defensive approach to the game. From fans, from media, ex-players, and from the club. The whole thing about trying to play "the United way" was not something he was comfortable or able to do. All of that resulted in completely losing any sense of approach in the team. The team were not successful in either approach and looked confused and individuals agitated.
Resulting in club no longer ready to back him up blindly in the window. And from then on, he actively looked for a way to get out of the club. He started undermining the club, so that his firing process will get accelerated. And finally he got his wish and his money of course.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
It worked v City and Arsenal because of a goal scored early on. When they couldnt score v Chelsea it looked pedestrian and one paced.
This is Spurs game plan against top 6 and so far it is effective. The league is wide open this year and it is good for the fans.

Fridge chutney

Pretty much, Id say at least 75% of the people saying were boring haven't watched the game and are simply jumping on the band wagon.

This has been the thoughts on Spurs since the start of the season.

We wont get top four........ to........ we havent played the tough teams........ to ........just wait till the end of the tough run of fixtures........ to ......... we are boring.
The only Spurs games I've watched apart from our inexplicable spanking by you guys (which, to be fair, given the trajectory of our 2020, this seems like an anomaly) is Chelsea and Arsenal. They were pretty dull matches objectively and this reminds me of the Mourinho style I grew tired of at United. With that said, you've scored some cracking goals. Also, every game with Arsenal that I've seen so far this season has been painfully boring, so I don't think we can even blame Mourinho for that one.

Honestly I don't know why Arteta isn't getting more grief for being the dullest manager in the Premier League. Arsenal are objectively terrible to watch at the minute.

crossy1686

career ending
Atletico Madrid would actually be perfect club for him abroad now, can see him doing that for a few years if it's available whenever he leaves Spurs so don't think he'd actually be done at elite clubs even if Spurs fizzles out in the end.

Or even return to Inter given the squad they've built in last 12 months, plenty of his old mates there. :D
For sure, Atleti are his spiritual home from home. I think he'll end up there and stay once Simeone leaves. There's no one else that can replace Simeone and continue to be successful in my opinion.

troylocker

Spurs will run out of steam soon.

- In their last three matches they have had the ball 34% of the time. They have produced 15 shots on and off target and scored 4. In the same three games the opposition has produced 46 shots and scored 0. Conceding 0 goals from 46 shots against is not sustainable. They seem to have a black belt in bus parking these days, but this is also luck and coincidence.
- Son/Kane will probably not stay on this form the entire season and/or one or both will get injured.
- Their squad is not good enough.
- Mou will start throwing players under the bus as soon as they meet some speedbumps.

Prediction: 5th

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Spurs will run out of steam soon.

- In their last three matches they have had the ball 34% of the time. They have produced 15 shots on and off target and scored 4. In the same three games the opposition has produced 46 shots and scored 0. Conceding 0 goals from 46 shots against is not sustainable. They seem to have a black belt in bus parking these days, but this is also luck and coincidence.
- Son/Kane will probably not stay on this form the entire season and/or one or both will get injured.
- Their squad is not good enough.
- Mou will start throwing players under the bus as soon as they meet some speedbumps.

Prediction: 5th
Last 3 matches against Chelsea, City and a North London Derby. As for the "throwing people under the bus" he has already done that this season :lol:.

Status
Not open for further replies.