Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
I didn't think he would get another job after United. How in the feck did he convince Levy to fire Poch and hire him? But hey, at least they have a nice stadium... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was also very surprised by that. I always had the image of Levy as a very rational decision maker - and then he appointed Mourinho instead of Poch.

I guess that Poch must have annoyed him so much that he saw Mourinho as a possible relief. I guess, he might be right on that level still.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
1 more year and he'll complete a full decade of very bad managing.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
One of the most surprising things for me is how fans still manage to fall for Jose's shtick after all this time.

As soon as Jose comes in:

The football becomes mind numbingly boring. The tactics become defeatist. Players look demotivated. There's infighting and the manager saying things in public he shouldn't and clearly making it known who are his favorites and who he doesn't like.

And when the results don't come, he blames the players, the board, everyone but himself.

And yet, when he eventually leaves, the same players he called such a problem miraculously start looking better. I mean it happened at Chelsea and United, with the modern day Jose. How on earth can he go to another club, and the fans still eat his crap up?
Because people don't care about evidences, they only care about pre-established theories. Chelsea and United fans are totally familiar with the way Tottenham players are currently playing from a tactical standpoint but anyone that didn't follow these two clubs closely may miss the common denominator. Hint: It's not the players or the boards.

Strelok

To think just a year ago Spurs was a CL finalist is scary. Really scary how fast this is.

sugar_kane

The most positive thing I can say about him right now is that he was nowhere near this bad in his first 18 months with us.

It’s not that shocking how bad it’s got at spurs, what is shocking is just how quickly.

I do genuinely fear for his sanity at times.

redmanc

Spurs we're miss firing before Mourinho took over, don't want to defend the miserable shite but this isnt the first time Spurs have had a massive woble following a good run, however Poch managed to recover it last time round and, back then he had Erikens's creativity which helped get them results via Kane, which Mourinho doesnt have now.

Strelok

The most positive thing I can say about him right now is that he was nowhere near this bad in his first 18 months with us.

It’s not that shocking how bad it’s got at spurs, what is shocking is just how quickly.

His sanity is more than fine imo. He'll get another big pay again. He knows what he's doing and what he'd get I think.

InfiniteBoredom

I've not enjoyed being a Spurs fan since the Champions League final last year.
Objectively speaking, what else behind blind hope at this point that make you think Mourinho will be able to rebuild your team? Knowing the limited fund you’d have for transfers as well given your stadium situation and covid.

Wouldn’t it be better to just cut the cord, get in a young promising coach, sell the likes of Kane and Son to reinvest, and accept that you’ll be fighting for Europa spot for a few seasons? At least that way you have a path towards better things after the pain.

Strelok

Objectively speaking, what else behind blind hope at this point that make you think Mourinho will be able to rebuild your team? Knowing the limited fund you’d have for transfers as well given your stadium situation and covid.

Wouldn’t it be better to just cut the cord, get in a young promising coach, sell the likes of Kane and Son to reinvest, and accept that you’ll be fighting for Europa spot for a few seasons? At least that way you have a path towards better things after the pain.
They should get Edie Howe if Bournemouth got relegated. Based on the performance yesterday alone.

Ludens the Red

Yeah I think he’s shot of confidence. As an ex United manager I still consider him part of the club and it’s not great seeing him at the moment. He looks void of ideas, sheepish and Spurs are absolutely garbage to watch right now. The way they are now is how we were the last few months.

lysglimt

Scout
As I have said before - and where I partially blamed Pochettino - is that this Spurs-side is completely unbalanced. You remove Son and Kane and you have a squad which isn't much better than Brighton, Burnley, Southampton to mention 3 random clubs.

Lloris is still a quality keeper - but at the age of 34 - why would he sign a new contract in 2 years time.

Their defense is simply awful - Sanchez came to Spurs at the age of 21 - and 3 years later he hasn't convinced me at all. Dier is not good enough to play in defense. And the 2 players who are (or were) good enough Vertonghen and Alderweireld are 33 and 31 respectively. Add to that they have mediocre full-backs in Davies and Aurier. They have Sessegnon who is still young but he never impressed me as a fullback at Fulham and is more likely to have an impact as a winger

Lo Celso has been good, but not good enough compared to Fernandes, Fabinho, DeBruyne, Pogba, Henderson etc. Sissoko is one of few who has actually improved over the last 18 months - but he turns 31 next month. Winks is ok but at the age of 24 - he will never be good enough to challenge the absolute top players - and the less said about Ndombele the better. Moura has never been consistent and has a poor season behind him - and add to that he turns 28 in a month and is not likely find that consistency he never did find before. Lamela at his best is quality but he is also inconsistent and his end product isn't good enough. 16 goals in 150 matches for an attacking midfielder isnt exactly good.

Bergwijn escapes a lot of criticism because he has scored a few important (and very good) goals - but the fact is, he has scored 3 goals in 12 matches for Spurs - but he is just 22 so he can of course get a lot better. Dele Alli has improved a lot this season compared to last, but in my opinion he is nowhere near the player he was in the 16/17 season where he looked like he could become a world-class player.

And this is basically what Mourinho took over - a team with so many obvious flaws that it will take 3-4 transfer windows and a lot of money to fix. The biggest mistake made was that Spurs gave this job to Jose who probably could fix it if he was given a lot of money - but he was never gonna get that at Spurs. As a minimum he would need 3 new defenders and at least 1 central midfielder of high class. But one of Spurs' major concerns is that their 2 best players are at that age when you either sell them - or you accept that their value will start to drop because of their age. (Kane and Son). But even if Spurs decide to sell them, the corona has practically stopped a potential transfer because no one can afford what these players were worth 6 months ago before Corona. But how long will especially Kane, but even Son accept being part of a club in a negative spiral ? Harry Kane could easily become a glorified version of Matthew Le Tissier who is lauded for staying faithful to Southampton all his career - but who had no medals to show for it - who never got to test himself against the best. Kane of course has played a lot in Champions League, but I can see it happening again at Spurs in the next 2-3 seasons. And Harry Kane strikes me as a very ambitious player who wants to play against the best - so I can see him and his agent having a talk about the future, as soon as this season ends.

So Spurs in reality can't raise any serious money because they have no real sellable players - which in turn means that Spurs maybe can sign 1-2 quality players at best - or be smart in the transfer market and find some cheap, quality players - which is not Mourinhos style.

In my opinion - there is no doubt that Mourinho will resign sooner or later - most likely sooner, and he will leave Spurs in a bigger mess than they were before. They have failed miserably in the transfer market over the last 3 or so seasons - I would say they have been worse than United, partly because they have had less money to spend but £130-140 million for Bergwijn, Ndombele, LoCelso and Sessegnon so far - not a success. The season before they spent nothing - and in 2017/18 - they spent £100 million on Sanchez, Moura, Foyth, Aurier and Lloriente - that was basically money thrown right out the window. And the season before that they forked out £70 million on Sissoko, Jansen, Wanyama and Nkoudou - where only Sissoko eventually proved to be a good (if not great) signing. So Pochettino deserves a lot of criticism for wasting hundreds of millions of pounds in his last 2.5 seasons at Spurs, and Mourinho was never the manager to rectify that situation.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

I can only shake my head when people say these sort of things. Let me put it to you - let's say Ole was a total disaster and the team were going backwards fast. Would you look to sell Bruno and Rashford to reinvest and accept you'll be fighting for Europa spot for a few seasons? I hope that helps you understand just how ridiculous that sounds. Selling our best players and accepting we will be a mid-table team for several years doesn't sound like a good plan to me so no.

cyberman

Yeah I think he’s shot of confidence. As an ex United manager I still consider him part of the club and it’s not great seeing him at the moment. He looks void of ideas, sheepish and Spurs are absolutely garbage to watch right now. The way they are now is how we were the last few months.
Spurs have been garbage for a long time. The CL got their blood rushing and that was that. Everybody excused their league form because of that run but if you just look at their league form since Christmas last season it really is shocking

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
As I have said before - and where I partially blamed Pochettino - is that this Spurs-side is completely unbalanced. You remove Son and Kane and you have a squad which isn't much better than Brighton, Burnley, Southampton to mention 3 random clubs.

Lloris is still a quality keeper - but at the age of 34 - why would he sign a new contract in 2 years time.

Their defense is simply awful - Sanchez came to Spurs at the age of 21 - and 3 years later he hasn't convinced me at all. Dier is not good enough to play in defense. And the 2 players who are (or were) good enough Vertonghen and Alderweireld are 33 and 31 respectively. Add to that they have mediocre full-backs in Davies and Aurier. They have Sessegnon who is still young but he never impressed me as a fullback at Fulham and is more likely to have an impact as a winger

Lo Celso has been good, but not good enough compared to Fernandes, Fabinho, DeBruyne, Pogba, Henderson etc. Sissoko is one of few who has actually improved over the last 18 months - but he turns 31 next month. Winks is ok but at the age of 24 - he will never be good enough to challenge the absolute top players - and the less said about Ndombele the better. Moura has never been consistent and has a poor season behind him - and add to that he turns 28 in a month and is not likely find that consistency he never did find before. Lamela at his best is quality but he is also inconsistent and his end product isn't good enough. 16 goals in 150 matches for an attacking midfielder isnt exactly good.

Bergwijn escapes a lot of criticism because he has scored a few important (and very good) goals - but the fact is, he has scored 3 goals in 12 matches for Spurs - but he is just 22 so he can of course get a lot better. Dele Alli has improved a lot this season compared to last, but in my opinion he is nowhere near the player he was in the 16/17 season where he looked like he could become a world-class player.

And this is basically what Mourinho took over - a team with so many obvious flaws that it will take 3-4 transfer windows and a lot of money to fix. The biggest mistake made was that Spurs gave this job to Jose who probably could fix it if he was given a lot of money - but he was never gonna get that at Spurs. As a minimum he would need 3 new defenders and at least 1 central midfielder of high class. But one of Spurs' major concerns is that their 2 best players are at that age when you either sell them - or you accept that their value will start to drop because of their age. (Kane and Son). But even if Spurs decide to sell them, the corona has practically stopped a potential transfer because no one can afford what these players were worth 6 months ago before Corona. But how long will especially Kane, but even Son accept being part of a club in a negative spiral ? Harry Kane could easily become a glorified version of Matthew Le Tissier who is lauded for staying faithful to Southampton all his career - but who had no medals to show for it - who never got to test himself against the best. Kane of course has played a lot in Champions League, but I can see it happening again at Spurs in the next 2-3 seasons. And Harry Kane strikes me as a very ambitious player who wants to play against the best - so I can see him and his agent having a talk about the future, as soon as this season ends.

So Spurs in reality can't raise any serious money because they have no real sellable players - which in turn means that Spurs maybe can sign 1-2 quality players at best - or be smart in the transfer market and find some cheap, quality players - which is not Mourinhos style.

In my opinion - there is no doubt that Mourinho will resign sooner or later - most likely sooner, and he will leave Spurs in a bigger mess than they were before. They have failed miserably in the transfer market over the last 3 or so seasons - I would say they have been worse than United, partly because they have had less money to spend but £130-140 million for Bergwijn, Ndombele, LoCelso and Sessegnon so far - not a success. The season before they spent nothing - and in 2017/18 - they spent £100 million on Sanchez, Moura, Foyth, Aurier and Lloriente - that was basically money thrown right out the window. And the season before that they forked out £70 million on Sissoko, Jansen, Wanyama and Nkoudou - where only Sissoko eventually proved to be a good (if not great) signing. So Pochettino deserves a lot of criticism for wasting hundreds of millions of pounds in his last 2.5 seasons at Spurs, and Mourinho was never the manager to rectify that situation.
That is the core reason we are where we are - I totally agree with you. Our chairman let the club go two full windows without signing a single player - no other team in Europe did that and we paid the price. Not only that as you rightly point out our recruitment has been extremely poor generally. The club has been poorly run for the last few years and Poch but especially Levy need to take the blame. I love Poch but transfers were not his strong point.

Ludens the Red

Spurs have been garbage for a long time. The CL got their blood rushing and that was that. Everybody excused their league form because of that run but if you just look at their league form since Christmas last season it really is shocking
It’s not so much the form it’s the level and quality of performance and style of football. They’re so bad right now. Can’t create anything, think they were the first team in four years to fail to register a shot on target against Bournemouth. Kane barely gets a touch.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
But at least you still love Jose.

Another one putting a passing manager ahead of the club that they support.
I can like a guy but not be happy with how things are going - I am capable of free thought. I loved and still love Poch but am glad he left when he did - no doubt I'll feel the same about Jose.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
That is the core reason we are where we are - I totally agree with you. Our chairman let the club go two full windows without signing a single player - no other team in Europe did that and we paid the price. Not only that as you rightly point out our recruitment has been extremely poor generally. The club has been poorly run for the last few years and Poch but especially Levy need to take the blame. I love Poch but transfers were not his strong point.
Do you think you should have cashed in on one of your stars at the time and reinvested the funds? Ala Coutinho? Going forwards there’s a huge question mark around Jose and if he can get a tune out of this squad for a few seasons. His record speaks for itself and always will, but I would think a strong top 4 finish is about as far as you guys can go next season.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Do you think you should have cashed in on one of your stars at the time and reinvested the funds? Ala Coutinho? Going forwards there’s a huge question mark around Jose and if he can get a tune out of this squad for a few seasons. His record speaks for itself and always will, but I would think a strong top 4 finish is about as far as you guys can go next season.
I'd be up for selling Son for the right money but not Kane. Likely we sell N'dombele in the summer also.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I pointed October/November for him to leave, but right now I'm pretty sure Spurs are equating his exit at the end of the season. 10th place for crying out loud. Not a single shot between the posts against Bournemouth who is so poor defensively.
With managers like Marcelino Toral available they got Mourinho.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It’s not so much the form it’s the level and quality of performance and style of football. They’re so bad right now. Can’t create anything, think they were the first team in four years to fail to register a shot on target against Bournemouth. Kane barely gets a touch.
We have been this bad for over a year. Trust me it's been dreadful.

crossy1686

career ending
Mourinho would be better off going to somewhere like Newcastle where the fans would love him no matter what, and he'd regularly do over big sides who go there. He keeps picking the worst possible job for some reason, hubris maybe?

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
I don’t know why he’s drawn to England. It’s the worst league for him to be in. Won the Champions League with Porto. Bested Barcelona when they were at their peak. Did the treble in Italy.

Given the riches at his disposal, Chelsea is his 4th best achievement.

crossy1686

career ending
Levy will only sack Mourinho when it becomes financially expedient to do so. I’ll be amazed if he’s booted out so soon into his contract.
Gonna cost them £14m to sack him, and they don't have that in a post COVID environment. Pretty much their transfer budget for the summer. They'd have to sell Kane to sack Jose.

Rolaholic

The fact that Spurs saw how his last 2 tenures in the league ended and still said 'feck it, lets sack our most successful manager in the PL era and sign him' will always be one of the most head scratching decisions in recent history to me...

How they decided on signing a deal with the devil instead of opting for a young progressive manager who can coach the modern game is a decision that will set them back years I'm afraid.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I can like a guy but not be happy with how things are going - I am capable of free thought. I loved and still love Poch but am glad he left when he did - no doubt I'll feel the same about Jose.
You love a guy who is destroying your club, that's novel.

I like neither Moyes nor Jose, both managers who destroyed my club. I do like LVG, however, because he's a likeable character. The football was dire, but he didn't sabotage my club, whether by incompetence (Moyes) or deliberately (Jose).

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You love a guy who is destroying your club, that's novel.

I like neither Moyes nor Jose, both managers who destroyed my club. I do like LVG, however, because he's a likeable character. The football was dire, but he didn't sabotage my club, whether by incompetence (Moyes) or deliberately (Jose).
He is not destroying the club - stop being so dramatic - Levy is destroying our club not Jose. Jose is struggling to get a performance out of a tired team lacking in confidence that needs shaken up just in the same way Poch was. Based on your logic Poch was destroying the club also then.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
All Mourinho teams to work need sharp defenders, a sharp defensive midfielder who can screen the defense and distribute the game quick and simple, an Attacking Midfielder willing to track back who offers both goals and assists, one powerful clinical forward and at least one mobile winger/second forward who scores and assists.

Without this his style becomes ineffective because he abuses the 1vs1 situations on defence (hence sharpness needed) and to quickly make the break he also needs an aggressive anchor who can immediately start the build up fast for a lightening counter or an attacking midfielder to drive the ball forward.
The power forward would hold at least two defenders, giving the space for the attack midf or the winger/support striker to explore.

Unfortunately for him, the transfer market changed in values. He no longer can build a team in one window like in his Chelsea or Inter old days, where you could buy quality players from 15M€. His stubbornness and lack of adaptability is shortening his career, which is surprising because his knowledge of the game and science sports is actually amazing even among his peers.

Mr Smith

I've been a Jose apologist for a long time, but it really does seem like the modern game has passed him by. The success of his teams seems to hinge entirely on whether his attackers are confident or in good form, because there's no foundational attacking approach to fall back on. Weird how far he's fallen considering how highly rated he was.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He is not destroying the club - stop being so dramatic - Levy is destroying our club not Jose. Jose is struggling to get a performance out of a tired team lacking in confidence that needs shaken up just in the same way Poch was. Based on your logic Poch was destroying the club also then.
Mourinho is only just starting. It's almost certainly going to get much worse under him. Trust us, we saw it first hand.

Web of Bissaka

Spurs is already going downhill before he joined, and he couldn't raise them back up.

He (current Mou) is at his best when he have lots of money to spent. Spurs can't really offer that ain't he. That and well.. his football is getting outdated and he's not really improving nor adapting to the changes to remain competitive at the very top best level.

Just take a long break and become a pundit -- offer more of those good quality commentaries where football fans can then learn more and not wasting their time listening to those..